Start by marking “Lila the Werewolf” as Want to Read:
Lila the Werewolf

Lila the Werewolf

Published March 28th 1974 by Capra Press

To ask other readers questions about Lila the Werewolf, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lila the Werewolf

Miriam
Sep 24, 2014 Miriam rated it liked it
Superficially the plot here is simple: a young man casually allows a woman he has picked up at a party to move in with him. He soon discovers that she is a werewolf. This is, obviously, a little awkward, both personally and because they are in an apartment building and she keeps eating their neighbors' pets.

This is Beagle, so naturally the writing is fairly good, if dated in that way that only the 1970s seem to date. There is a lot of personality conveyed quite briefly, and some clever lines: I
Kathy
Jan 17, 2013 Kathy rated it it was amazing
Lila The Werewolf by Peter S. Beagle is a perfect example as to why I love werewolf stories and fantasy in general. I had really high expectations for this book and I’m glad to say this book surpassed those expectations.

I first heard about Lila the Werewolf thanks to Carrie Vaughn’s blog. She shared her favorite werewolf stories/novels back in September. Within minutes of reading that blog, I went to amazon, added the book to the wish list and gave the book highest priority.

It’s not just Carrie
 ☆☽ Ruth ☆☽
After reading several of Peter S Beagle's books, this was a disappointment. However, he does mention in a note at the end that he wrote it when he was very young, so I should make allowances for that. It really doesn't go anywhere as a story, there's little or no character development and the content is weak. There is also a completely pointless (and confusing) dream sequence followed by a peculiar and revoltingly gory scene, from which I can only assume that he doesn't like dogs! I gave it 2 st ...more
Sean Chick
Oct 01, 2013 Sean Chick rated it really liked it
"This story was written very long ago, in another world, by a young man to whom the idea of equating womanhood with lycanthropy, sexual desire with blood and death and humiliation, seemed no more at the time than a casual grisly joke. I would write 'Lila the Werewolf today, but not for that reason, and not in that way."

These are Beagle's honest words about a strange little book, by turns melodramatic and wistful, but mostly just awkward and comedic. It might make a good Wes Anderson movie.

Those
Eija
Lila-ihmissusi, Portti 1/1986
Chelsie Unicornkind
Jun 16, 2008 Chelsie Unicornkind rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Adult horror fans.
Shelves: horror
I didn't really care for this book. It dwelled a little bit too much on gore, especially in the end when it was the same thing over and over.

It did have an interesting idea to it, I suppose. But I found it mostly disturbing.
Tortla
One of the stranger (and more dated) stories in The Fantasy Worlds of Peter Beagle...
Dawn Cameron
Sep 30, 2013 Dawn Cameron rated it it was amazing
I only know the author from The Last Unicorn, so this was an unexpected piece of fun. Dark, less about werewolf nature than about people nature...like all good fantasy.
Sarah Sullivan
Oct 08, 2013 Sarah Sullivan rated it it was ok
Shelves: adult-fare
In re-reading a Beagle collection, definitely found that the shorter novellas don't hold up as well as the novels
Goma
Feb 02, 2016 Goma rated it liked it
Nice read but I wish Beagle wrote it later, having a better idea. Still, I'm glad I came across this one.
Şalehah
Feb 19, 2011 Şalehah rated it did not like it
Shelves: supernatural
I didn't like this short story (too gory), but will check out the author's other works. Liked his writing.
Aine
Sep 28, 2011 Aine rated it really liked it
Interesting short. I kinda want to reread it already.
Abigail
Abigail marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
Jillian Kitchen
Jillian Kitchen marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
Michaela
Michaela marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016
Sissy
Sissy marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2016
Brendan
Brendan marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2016
Lisa
Lisa rated it really liked it
Aug 29, 2016
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2016
Jamie Pollard
Jamie Pollard marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2016
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2016
Annie
Annie rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2016
Michaela
Michaela marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
Krista
Krista rated it liked it
Jul 20, 2016
Mary Beth Beckman
Mary Beth Beckman marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2016
A. Dawes
A. Dawes marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2016
Erica Trapold
Erica Trapold marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2016
James Carey
James Carey marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2016
  • The Sticks
  • Atticus for the Undead
  • Rackham's Fairy Tale Illustrations
  • Dreadful Skin
  • Human Tales
  • Girl
  • The Pirate Curse (Spirit Guide, #5)
  • Wolf Hunt
  • When the Hero Comes Home
  • Spells of Enchantment: The Wondrous Fairy Tales of Western Culture
  • Here There Be Unicorns
  • Mirror, Mirror on the Wall: Women Writers Explore Their Favorite Fairy Tales
Peter Soyer Beagle (born April 20, 1939) is an American fantasist and author of novels, nonfiction, and screenplays. He is also a talented guitarist and folk singer. He wrote his first novel, A Fine and Private Place , when he was only 19 years old. Today he is best known as the author of The Last Unicorn, which routinely polls as one of the top ten fantasy novels of all time, and at least two of ...more
More about Peter S. Beagle...