Start by marking “Doors Open” as Want to Read:

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  2,553 ratings  ·  304 reviews
Set in a very different Edinburgh to that inhabited by DI John Rebus, this thriller centres on the glamorous uber-world of the Scottish capital. Mike Mackenzie is a self-made man with too much time on his hands and a bit of the devil in his soul. Together with two friends, he hatches a plan to rob the National Gallery of Scotland.
Published March 17th 2009 by Not Avail (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Doors Open, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doors Open

James Thane
Ian Rankin's Doors Open is a stand-alone, set in Edinburgh that does not feature the author's long-time protagonist, John Rebus. It originally appeared as a weekly serial in the New York Times Magazine, and was perhaps inspired by Rankin's enthusiasm for heist films. (He lists ten of his favorite such movies at the end of the book.)

The book opens at an art auction where three friends meet. Not surprisingly, they all share an interest in fine art. Mike Mackenzie made a fortune with his software
Lance Charnes
Feb 10, 2013 Lance Charnes rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Ian Rankin completists; fans of caper stories
Shelves: fiction-crime
Doors Open is an Ian Rankin novel, but not a Rebus novel. This means the setting is familiar for Rankin – the gray stone and grayer skies of Edinburgh, angst about the city’s class divisions and redevelopment, Scottish angst about the English and tourists (much the same thing here) – but without that gloomy DI mourning the loss of most everything while hoisting endless pints.

The setup: a bored millionaire, a covetous banker and an art professor walk into a bar (no, it’s not the start of a joke)
Ian Mapp
I think he was always on a hiding to nothing. He hasnt done enough to get away from Rebus and the book seems lazy - references to the jekyll and hyde nature of edinburgh and name dropping locations and pubs - we've seen all this before.

The biggest problem is the plot. Yes its meant to be a caper and light hearted but when would you have a self made millionairre robbing the national gallery with guns..... maybe a gentleman thief scenario is acceptable but taking it up to armed robbery is pushing
Julie Davis
#40 - 2010.

Read a review saying that this is not as gritty as Rankin's usual. I've tried Rankin several times and his grittiness overcame me every time. It was not riveting but this crime caper was entertaining enough and had a twist at the end that I didn't expect.
Alison
It had me...and then it lost me.

Mike Mackensie, Allan Cruikshank, and Robert Gissing are three friends who share a love of art. Over a few pints they hatch a plan to steal some of their favorite works of art, not from a gallery or museum wall, but instead from a warehouse, where the works of art go unloved, unappreciated, and unseen. The plan involves a crook that Mike knew in elementary school, named Chib Calloway, who is, unbeknownst to him, being followed by the dubious Inspector Remus. An ar
Carmen Amato
Not only do I write a mystery series, I read mysteries, too. I post selected on amazon and Goodreads.

Ian Rankin is one of my favorite mystery writers, with robust, imaginative characters that are true to their environment, beautifully paced plots, and locations that I’ve visited and love despite the flaws he exposes. Up front I’ll admit that I’m prejudiced in favor of his Detective Inspector John Rebus books. My favorites are Resurrection Men, the Falls and Exit Music.

Doors Open is a standalone
Eric
The book is about a fairly elaborate art heist, and I thought that the way it played out was well crafted. I was still surprised how the ending played out (typical for me and other Rankin books).

I was not particularly surprised that the first post-Rebus novel from Ian Rankin was another crime caper. I was surprised that it was predominantly from the perspective of the crime-doers instead of the crime-fighters. (Though there was some of that, too.) The changing point of view didn't really work fo
Bookmarks Magazine
Exit Music (**** Nov/Dec 2008) was reputedly Rankin's last novel to feature Detective Inspector John Rebus, and it appears that may be the case. Yet, while many authors--and readers--have difficulty adjusting after a highly successful series, Rankin does not. With style and verve, he plunges pen first into a winning tale about the perils of too much free time. Critics found the Scottish art world a unique setting and enjoyed the book's biting humor and roller-coaster plotting. But be advised: Do ...more
Charlie Wade
After reading the Rebus series then the two Malcolm Fox books in one hit, I had a break before reading this. I managed to avoid knowing the plot, which was very difficult as the TV adaption was on a few months back.

Overall, really enjoyed this. An eclectic gang of near incompetent art thieves set about a heist. Throw into that a crime lord and a detective after his blood and you get a good thriller. I couldn't help but see the crime lord as Cafferty and the detective as Rebus, but I guess that w
Wyma
It's art theft by three sophisticated, respectable art connoisseurs. Oceans 11 they are not: one has the time of his life, one has a nervous breakdown, and one gets involved with real criminals. It's perfect in detail, light characterizations, plot and surprises. Well done, but not so much fun as Rankin's gritty police procedurals which I know couldn't go on forever. I miss the sour voice of Rebus and the grimness of his Edinburgh. But I'll look for the next Rankin anyway because he's just that ...more
Amrita
I wish had never read this book: or better still, Ian Rankin had never written it.Then I would have continued loving Ian Rankin for his writing. But this book has changed it all. I think I need to read another Rebus novel to restore the status quo of my opinion of Ian Rankin's writing prowess.

I discovered Ian Rankin only last year, thanks to the recommendation of a dear friend. And Ian Rankin became my favourite author from the word "go". After finishing the very first book, I had decided that I
Trish
I like Rankin. I like Scotland. I like the fact that Alexander McCall Smith references Rankin in his book and appears to be a fan. I like the Rebus series. However, the premise in this book is just too "out there" and no matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't get interested in such a ridiculous farce. It is meant to be playful, but somehow I just couldn't muster the state of mind required to enjoy it.
Maria
Al final me ha gustado bastante! al principio me costó mucho cogerle el ritmo, pero luego, según se va complicando la trama, me mantuvo en vilo e interesada en el desenlace, que, para variar, no es una chapuza!!!! No es el mejor libro del año pero se deja disfrutar. Leeré más de Rankin porque me gusta mucho su estilo y ritmo.
Carole Tyrrell
Doors Open

This is Ian Rankin’s first stand alone novel without his detective hero Rebus. It had so-so reviews at the time and I can understand why.
It’s a caper novel featuring four men who collude together to devise a plan to steal priceless paintings from a seafront warehouse in which the museums and galleries of Scotland store the works of art not currently on display.
Mike Mackenzie, bored millionaire who made a fortune from computer software and now looking for a thrill and who gets more tha
Fredrick Danysh
Mike is a rich, bored former software tycoon with an interest in art. With some friends he decides to steal paintings from a bank. He invites a professional criminal who was a former classmate. Things appear to go well until a killer named Hate enters the scene.
Sandy Buchanan
A bit of a diversion from Mr Rankin. An art heist planned by an unlikely crew. Set in the recognisable art world of Edinburgh.

It has recently been filmed for TV starring Stephen Fry and the author in a cameo and is expected to be shown towards the end of 2012.
Vivienne Neal
A Good Cat and Mouse Mystery

This page-turning crime story, with a touch of wit, deception, thievery, forgery, betrayal, greed, and manipulation, has distinctive characters and great dialogue. Protagonist Mike McKenzie is a self-made millionaire, who seems to be bored with his life, so he decides to add more excitement to his existence by planning and committing the perfect crime, until things go haywire. Edinburgh, a quiet little town in Scotland, is the scenery for this lively-paced plot, serv
Lynda
A disappointing read. Interesting plot but longer and more tortuous than necessary. Love interest included but poorly developed. Professor Gissing to my mind the most interesting character was off stage for most of the time
John
Originally published as a serial in the New York Times Magazine, this is a fairly lightweight Rankin novel, a heist tale set in the Edinburgh art world -- at least, on the fringes of Edinburgh's art-collecting world. Up until the heist itself, it's all great fun; thereafter, as things fall apart amidst the inevitable doubts and doublecrosses, the narrative becomes less compelling.

Overall, this is entertaining but forgettable, as these New York Times Magazine-serialized novels tend to be (to judg
Jlarkin43
Don't you hate it when you ask a friend how she liked a book, and she says, "It was okay" in that bored tone, and when you ask for clarification, she just says the same thing again in the same bored tone? "Doors Open" is that book.

The characters aren't compelling. None of them are very good people, or very bad. The action is predictable: Three disenchanted art lovers find each other, plan a heist, one has a hidden motive, somebody gets greedy, a couple of gangsters try to cash in, (almost) ever
Bonnie
My favorite Scottish author has written a tale of three friends frustrated that paintings are hidden away in private collections and decide to steal three beloved paintings from the National Gallery in Edinburgh. The instigator is Mike Mackenzie, a software mogul. He convinces banker Allan Cruickshank and art professor Robert Gissing to join in the heist.

So begins the adventure that brings them into contact with master forgers, crime bosses, girlfriends with agendas, and a Hell's Angel named Ha
Amy Saunders
Book #3 for the Mystery & Suspense Reading Challenge is Ian Rankin's Doors Open. Until now, I only knew the author by name. I'm pushing out of my comfort zone for this challenge and pulling out titles I might pass over normally. Happily, I wasn't disappointed this time around.

Like wtih The Alehouse Murders by Maureen Ash, Doors Open is a little slow at times with a quieter main character. But plenty happens, and almost worse is the anticipation throughout the entire story that bad things are
Maddi Sojourner
Ian Rankin is a great writer. That said, this isn't as good as his Inspector Rebus series, although still quite good. The story isn't a typical mystery, it's a police procedural but from multiple viewpoints, including some obvious bad guys and less obvious conspirators. There is a betrayal twist to it but it's not as central to the plot as in most mysteries.

The plot: a threesome conspire to rob a National Museum warehouse on "Doors Open" day. The more people they bring into the caper, the more c
Cheryl "Mash"
Didn't finish
Synopsis: (From the book's jacket) Three friends descend upon an art auction. Software mogul Mike Mackenzie wants something money can't buy. Banker Allan Cruickshank is burdened by a painful divorce. And Robert Gissing, an art professor, is frustrated by paintings hidden away in private hands. In a conversation over drinks, the three seize on an impossible, unthinkable, suddenly inevitable idea: steal the art. There has to be a way.
My opinion and rating: This is my opinion and my
Claire
Ian Rankin, cinquantenne, ha iniziato a scrivere quando era all'università.
Scrive un libro all'anno: verso la fine dell'autunno lo inizia, a maggio lo consegna, ci lavora un po' con l'editor, e intorno novembre lo pubblica. Poi ricomincia. Non ha mai scritto un brutto libro (oddio ne ho letti solo venti su circa ventisette, ma insomma); non solo: col tempo è migliorato e, leggendo la serie di Rebus senza seguire l'ordine cronologico, la cosa salta agli occhi.
Rankin scrive di Edimburgo tanto qua
Tony
Rankin, Ian. DOORS OPEN. (2010). ***. This in not an Inspector Rebus novel, but features instead Inspector Ransome. The plot involves the theft of art work from a storage facility by a group of mis-matched individuals who want to do so for a variety of reasons. A perfect plan is devised. Once a year, Edinborough has “Open Door Day,” in which the doors of offices and facilities not normally open to the public are open for the one day and tours are allowed, facilitated by the various staffs. The c ...more
Helen
First line: The open door was only yards away, and beyond it lay the outside world, eerily unaffected by anything happening inside the abandoned snooker hall.

Mike Mackenzie is very rich and very bored, so when a friend suggests the perfect crime he is more than a little interested. Professor Robert Gissing, the head of the Art School, annoyed about the amount of art locked away from public view, in private collections and warehouses, proposes the “repatriation of some of those poor imprisoned wo
ReadandRated
I’m a big fan of Ian Rankin and was intrigued to read a book that doesn’t feature his established characters.

In the story, Mike Mackenzie is a very wealthy and very bored self-made millionaire who is looking for something to excite his life and give him the buzz he used to get from business deals. He also has a love of art and he thinks that he has stumbled across the ‘perfect crime’ with two of his good friends when they devise a, seemingly effortless, way to steal from the National Gallery of
Stephen
Willie Sutton , when asked 'why he robs banks?'... answered 'because that's where the money is '. Our national museums can't exhibit all the art they possess, so often some great art is stored in warehouses. Maybe it would be interesting if some of that art was stolen,especially if it is not to be shown or appreciated! Three friends decide to pull off a dangerous caper.Mike Mackenzie, software titan, Allan Cruickshank,banker and Robert Gissing , an art professor come up with a bold plan... unde ...more
J
CONTAINS SPOILERS.

Pure froth.

But I enjoyed it immensely.

It's one of the one-off non-Rebus novels by Rankin.(one off being slang I've learned by reading Rankin. It means one of a kind, not in a series.)

Story is about several responsible, affluent adults (in professions including banking, computers, education) who decide to take risks their livelihoods and reputations to steal museum-quality art to hang in their own homes (not even able to show the pieces to art-knowledgeable friends).

The scheme
for beginners 7 33 Mar 09, 2014 10:41AM
Mysteries & C...: April Group Read: Doors Open 14 128 May 29, 2013 03:50PM
  • Strange Affair (Inspector Banks, #15)
  • The Price of Butcher's Meat (Dalziel & Pascoe, #23)
  • Shatter The Bones (Logan McRae, #7)
  • Lying Dead (DI Marjory Fleming #3)
  • Bloodline (Tom Thorne, #8)
  • Paying For It (Gus Dury, #1)
  • Slip of the Knife (Paddy Meehan, #3)
  • A Tale Etched In Blood And Hard Black Pencil
AKA Jack Harvey.

Born in the Kingdom of Fife in 1960, Ian Rankin graduated from the University of Edinburgh in 1982 and then spent three years writing novels when he was supposed to be working towards a PhD in Scottish Literature. His first Rebus novel was published in 1987; the Rebus books are now translated into 22 languages and are bestsellers on several continents.

Ian Rankin has been elected a
More about Ian Rankin...
Knots and Crosses (Inspector Rebus, #1) Exit Music (Inspector Rebus, #17) Black and Blue (Inspector Rebus, #8) Hide and Seek (Inspector Rebus, #2) Let It Bleed (Inspector Rebus, #7)