Start by marking “Jim Henson's Designs and Doodles: A Muppet Sketchbook” as Want to Read:
Jim Henson's Designs and Doodles: A Muppet Sketchbook

Jim Henson's Designs and Doodles: A Muppet Sketchbook

These imaginative musings, the work of a man who made an impossible world seem completely plausible, show history in the making., Booklist Bert and Ernie were once just scribbles on notebook paper, and the original Oscar the Grouch was purple, not green. Before there were Muppets, there were Jim Henson's designs and doodles. This delightful collection of Henson's early dra ...more
Published September 1st 2004 by Harry N. Abrams (first published February 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Jim Henson's Designs and Doodles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jim Henson's Designs and Doodles

Sue
Jun 02, 2014 Sue rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It pains me to give anything about Jim Henson even as few as 3 stars. While it is wonderful to look at these sketches, there are some real issues with this book. There are outright errors. Perhaps they are things I only noticed because I had just finished Jim Henson: The Biography or perhaps because I am just a huge fan, but they bothered me nonetheless. Also, there are some real formatting and layout issues. Several times, the last line of main text on a page will end with a hyphenated word, an ...more
Susan Bazzett-griffith
Once in awhile, very rarely, but once in awhile, I need to read a good coffee table book. The last one I really loved was The Works! from the mid-1990s, about the Muppets, and it remains one of the only of these types of books that has survived the many book purges and donations over the last couple of decades of my life. A few years after that book came out, this unique and beautiful hardcover was published, and for a Henson fan, it is a must read. The biographical information on Henson is grea ...more
Shek
Dec 20, 2007 Shek rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am not such a huge fan of the muppets. I mean, they're fine, but I'm fucking thirty. Even if I were a huge fan, this book would probably just rate an "ok." It's here because there's a story that goes with it:

I was driving through Mississippi on my way to Memphis. I thought, 'I am in Mississippi. This is, let's face it, the last time I am ever going to be in Mississippi, barring an extraordinary and unforeseen circumstance. I should really play nerd tourist as long as I'm here.'

So I went to 'th
Jdetrick
The sketches in here are interesting, but I think this is most valuable as a history of (and some information on the projects of) Jim Henson before The Muppet Show. I wasn't aware of everything he did, and details of some of these projects are fascinating.
Jaymin Cheatwood
This was a great look into Jim Henson's work and his development of The Muppets. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing his designs and where his ideas began.
Bill
Nov 07, 2014 Bill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Early sketchbook from Jim Henson, giving early appearances of some of the loved muppets.
Charlene
May 15, 2015 Charlene rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art-books
Informative, yet not much information.

I like the idea of compiling Jim Henson's unseen artwork into a book, but I personally think there was more that could've been done with this. For example; a full-fledged artbook featuring all or most of his work, and not just limited to WIPS and colorsketches, but even photographs of his most earliest Muppet creations. This is me speaking as a professional illustrator, and I think there's more that could've been shown.

However, it was fun to read about his
Rachel
Aug 21, 2015 Rachel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not at all what I expected. I was looking forward to seeing sketches of all his original characters. I'd have liked to see the stages of his thought process with an image of his final piece.

The text felt disjointed to me. Perhaps the author was a novice. It felt as if anyone, even a high school student could have written it.

In conclusion, this book was a total miss.
Mary Bird
Jan 05, 2016 Mary Bird rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As someone who owns too many Jim Henson/Muppet books, I'm glad I have this one in my collection. It'a a great visual guide to the artistic development of Jim's concepts, focusing on all kinds of ideas - not just the "traditional" Muppets. I'm pretty sure there a few inaccuracies here and there, but since I really just wanted the illustrations and process, I still enjoyed it very much!
Rusty
Dec 01, 2007 Rusty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful look at the creative process behind Jim Henson's characters. Many character designs and art from Jim's early career at WRC in Washington, DC.

For those that may only know Jim through The Muppets, this is a great way to see how his artistic focus formed early in his life.
Sep 03, 2008 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
totally learn how all muppets were created!! see bunches of jim hensons early work, made out of total simple shapes and materials. its delightful!
cubbie
May 12, 2009 cubbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
the doodles are of course amazing, the spirit of the work is good, but the writing is very bland and seems to miss the point sometimes.
sam kim
Jan 21, 2009 sam kim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book is incredible. what makes it more awesome is that my wonderful found it for me.
Carrie
Neat to see the sketches and doodles that brought the Muppets from the page to film.
April
Apr 02, 2008 April rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Any fan of Jim Henson will appreciate this book. Great behind the scenes stuff.
Jul 30, 2012 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a wonderful book to just thumb through and daydream with.
Lafcadio
Jul 30, 2007 Lafcadio rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lucas
Like nothing and everything I imagined or expected.
Lauren
Jun 27, 2008 Lauren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh, how I wish Jim Henson was still around.
Tim Decker
Mar 19, 2013 Tim Decker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fun insight to his creative approach
Bob Scott
Bob Scott rated it it was amazing
Sep 26, 2016
Molly
Molly marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
Aleia
Aleia rated it really liked it
Sep 16, 2016
Brittany diehl
Brittany diehl marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2016
Justin
Justin marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2016
Gino
Gino marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2016
Alison
Alison marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
Aaron Golding
Aaron Golding marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
Erin Murphy
Erin Murphy marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
  • Jim Henson: The Works: The Art, the Magic, the Imagination
  • No Strings Attached: The Inside Story of Jim Henson's Creature Shop
  • Sesame Street Unpaved: Scripts, Stories, Secrets and Songs
  • Sesame Street: A Celebration of 40 Years of Life on the Street
  • The Wisdom of Big Bird (and the Dark Genius of Oscar the Grouch): Lessons from a Life in Feathers
  • Jim Henson's Doodle Dreams: Inspiration for Living Life Outside the Lines
  • It's Not Easy Being Green: And Other Things to Consider
  • Imagination Illustrated: The Jim Henson Journal
  • My Life as a Furry Red Monster: What Being Elmo Has Taught Me about Life, Love and Laughing Out Loud
  • Before You Leap: A Frog's-Eye View of Life's Greatest Lessons
  • Street Gang: The Complete History of Sesame Street
  • The World of the "Dark Crystal"
  • The Muppet Show Comic Book: Meet The Muppets