Start by marking “Babyface” as Want to Read:
Babyface

Babyface

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  127 ratings  ·  14 reviews
The sudden departure of her inseparable friend Julie for California and her own father's unexpected illness challenge many of fourteen-year-old Toni's basic assumptions about friendship and her own happy and secure life.
Published September 1st 1990 by Morrow Junior Books (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Babyface, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Babyface

Fifteen year old Toni Chessmore has it all, a family that loves her, a best friend who lives right next door, but nothing in life is perfect right? Her best friend has to go to California for summer due to some sad circumstances, Toni falls for the boy that her best friend was crushing on, and finds out a family secret that has been buried for years.

This book was very short, in fact it's under 200 pages. I feel like maybe if I read this book when I was younger like 12-13 I probably would have en
Michelle
I loved Norma Fox Mazer when I was younger. The other day I was in the mood for a young adult book, so I bought this one, a book I had never read before. (I was looking for Silver though, my favorite Norma Fox Mazer book that I read probably 30 times when I was a kid, but now I can't find it! Where is it???) It was good. I love how the focus isn't on events happening bam, bam, bam all in a neat row and you know, Hey, it's Saturday and Toni's going bowling, then hey, the very next day, this and t ...more
Wayne S.
Fourteen-year-old Toni Chessmore lives in the small town of Ridgewood with her parents, Harold and Violet, and cat Paws, next door to her best friend Julie Jenson whose parents are Steve and Jerrine and whose younger sister is Heather. Toni has always felt that her life has been lucky with perfect parents and the best friend possible. However, her luck begins to change the summer following her fifteenth birthday. Julie’s parents, who have always fought, talk about separating. Steve goes off on a ...more
Anna Francesca
I wanted to like this book. I wanted to like these characters. I gave them 100 pages to convince me that I liked them. I didn't DISLIKE them. I just found that I didn't care about them. They lacked dimension and felt dated.

Seriously, how long has it been since kids were allowed to smoke in school? I wanted to tell the main character, "Your parents were different than how they are now. They messed up and have made their lives better since your birth. You're having difficulty dealing with it. Um,
Brandon Jones
This book was ok. I can appreciate the fact that everyone has eye-openers in life and that those instances can be very hard to deal with at this age, but I see enough of this every single day. I thought this would be a good book, but it's just one about teenagers having little problems combined with significant problems, and not knowing how to deal with them; when they do deal with them, they go the completely wrong way about it. If I wanted to see more high school aged drama, I'd just pay more ...more
Invalidexcuses
BABYFACE;
The main character Toni,also called "baby face" by her parents learns of the truth in her family which was once perfect to her.All that changes,pushes her outside of the box to realize that not much of anything can last forever.This is another story of an early teen's life,with a lesson to be learnt that changing is a part of growing up.

In my opinion,I'd give this 2.5stars;One of those nice books but not perfect.
I particularly like the relation of the story to real life where each and e
Kricket
a re-read from my youth. i loved me some norma fox mazer. sadly, "babyface" is not quite as awesome as i remembered, but i do like the new cover featuring toni drooping in martine's apartment. this also makes me want to dig out my old copies of "a my name is ami" and "b my name is bunny" to see how those held up.
Katelyn
I think this book was okay. I don't like how much Toni freaked out about her dad hitting her mom, because it was forever ago. And they are still together. I know it isn't the best news to hear, but it happened way before she was born. I don't like Toni's sister though, she is really mean to Toni. And i think she is jealouse of her. I also don't like how she never talks to Toni I think thats wrong.
Lissy Elle
Jan 22, 2009 Lissy Elle rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people I hate
Shelves: sucked
You can tell an author is on the same wave length as her main character when she spells her name wrong in the third-last page. I can't believe that slipped passed the editors.

This book was beyond boring. I wouldn't read it again if all my other books went up in flames.
K
I don't know why I like this book, but I do. As a teenager I think I enjoyed it because it is a good examination of different types of relationships. I read it now because there is such a feeling of nostalgia attached to the book.
Ashlee
it was really good it was about a friendship that was seperated and babyface gets a boyfriend that her friend likes
Meghan
Jun 05, 2008 Meghan rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: young adults
Recommended to Meghan by: Public Library
I loved Norma Fox Mazer when I was growing up. These stories helped me through my adolescence.
Eiffelbug
Eiffelbug marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Jaspar
Jaspar marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2015
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2015
Brin
Brin marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
Jackie
Jackie added it
May 07, 2015
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
Jamie
Jamie marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Alexandra
Alexandra marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Deirdre
Deirdre marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Late Great Me
  • Jake's Orphan
  • Strays Like Us
  • Gib Rides Home (Gib, #1)
  • Ice
  • Cousins
  • The Silent Room
  • The Farther You Run (A Time for Dancing, #2)
  • Canned
  • Toning The Sweep
  • Singing Songs
  • What Girls Learn
  • Shooting Stars (Shooting Stars, #1-4)
  • The Man without a Face
  • No Small Thing
  • Buried
  • The Steps (Steps, #1)
  • Dinky Hocker Shoots Smack!
Norma Fox Mazer was an American author and teacher, best known for her books for children and young adults.

She was born in New York City but grew up in Glens Falls, New York, with parents Michael and Jean Garlan Fox. Mazer graduated from Glens Falls High School, then went to Antioch College, where she met Harry Mazer, whom she married in 1950; they have four children, one of whom, Anne Mazer, is a
More about Norma Fox Mazer...
The Missing Girl After the Rain Silver (Sarabeth, #1) Good Night, Maman When She Was Good