Start by marking “Bedknob and Broomstick” as Want to Read:
Bedknob and Broomstick

Bedknob and Broomstick (Bedknobs and Broomsticks)

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  7,549 ratings  ·  205 reviews
In The Magic Bedknob, Carey, Charles and Paul 6 find prim Miss Price injured by falling off her broomstick. For their silence, she bespells a bedknob to carry them where-ever and when-ever. In Bonfires and Broomsticks two years later, they bring necromancer Emelius Jones to visit. But his neighbors want to burn him at the stake for disappearing in the Great Fire of London.
Published by Viking Childrens Books (first published 1943)

To ask other readers questions about Bedknob and Broomstick, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bedknob and Broomstick

Tara Lynn
Jul 25, 2008 Tara Lynn rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Tara by: Brad - (He gave me this copy)
I grew up watching a Beta tape (OMG) version of this movie, starring Angela Lansbury, when I was younger. When I became a little older, and many of the original Disney classics that we ONLY had on beta were lost, I was inconsolable. I didn't get to watch many of those Diney favorites again until I was a teenager; Escape to Witch Mountain, The Parent Trap, Return From Witch Mountain, The Apple Dumpling Gang. I relish these books now, as treasured memories of rainy days, curled up in my grandmothe ...more
Myles
Having loved the Disney film growing up I was pleasantly surprised to come across the original books! Since I've read The Borrowers I felt I could expect a good story. Unfortunately it was a bit of a mixed bag.

The first book, The Magic Bed Knob; or, How to Become a Witch in Ten Easy Lessons was a cute little story about Carey, Charles and Paul visiting their aunt in the country and discovering a neighbor lady crashed in the garden. I liked how the origin of Miss Price's witch lessons was kept se
Jessica
This is two books combined into one, which became the basis for the movie Bedknobs and Broomsticks. I apparently read the second one, because I have really vivid memories of several things happening, including the children visiting the 1700's and the final scene. It was probably back in the late 1980's, during the height of my Borrowers mania. I had no idea that Mary Norton had written the book that Bedknobs and Broomsticks was based on . . . although it's very loosely based. The children aren't ...more
Miriam
I don't remember this book too well, but I know that between this and the picture-book "Bed Book" I really wanted a flying bed as a child. Life is full of disappointments.
Mindy Conde
This was always one of my favorites growing up. Unlike a lot of kids in my generation, since this book was written in the 50's, I actually read the book before the movie came out. Though the movie was good, the book was certainly better. This was one of the first books I read where I distinctly remember being amazed at the things in the book; could these things really happen? How did she think of such amazing things? I realized that books really do have their own special world, separate and some ...more
Serena!
Ho visto mille votle il film con Angela Lansbury (e ho la canzone di Portobello sul lettore mp3.. :D) ma in tutta onestà non sapevo fosse tratto da un libro!! Quando ho visto che la Salani lo avrebbe ripubblicato (santa Salani!) ho contato i giorni che mancavano.. Il giorno che è uscito sono andata in libreria con poche speranze (MEH. Se non si parla dei super best-seller alcuni libri vengono totalmente ignorati), invece ce ne erano tantissime copie perché l'addetta al reparto bambini ci capisce ...more
Dark-Draco
I only have very vague recollections of the film, so much so that the book was a completely new adventure for me. I never read it as a child, but really enjoyed reading it now! Not sure what that says about me. I loved the story - an apprentice witch, a magical bedknob, cannibals and a trip to the past - all brilliantly written with some nice characters too. My only niggle was the older children's treatment of Paul - I really didn't get that, but I suppose child readers would probably appreciate ...more
Victoria
Jul 24, 2015 Victoria rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who either haven't seen or don't like the movie
I can't help comparing this book to the excellent 1971 Disney movie version(one of my favorite movies!), and while it's a pretty good book on its own, it didn't hold up to the expectations I had for it based on the film. A lot of things were changed and added for the movie, which doesn't really bother me since I think these changes gave the movie a stronger direction and more character development than the book had.

The story in general is creative and cute, and the writing style is easily read
Eden
Three children find out that their neighbor is a witch and convince her to make them something that's magic. Using a bedknob one of the children have, Miss Price does her magic and with it, they are able to make the bed fly. The children are happy and can't wait to begin their adventures.

Many times when I was a kid, I watched Bedknobs and Broomsticks, which was a fun and exciting movie that I still love to this day.

I decided to give the book a read - since I love the movie, I figured I'd love th
Bev
My edition of Bed-Knob and Broomstick is the 1957 version which combines both of Mary Norton's works (The Magic Bed-Knob or How to Become a Witch in Ten Easy Lessons AND Broomsticks and Bonfires) in a single volume. The first section of the book (equivalent to The Magic Bed-Knob) reveals how Carey, Charles and Paul Wilson came to know Miss Eglantine Price and the adventures they had as a result. The children are sent to the country to stay with their Aunt in Bedfordshire. One morning when they g ...more
Sharon
Somehow, I never read this book in my youth -- despite a tremendous fondness for the Disney film based upon it. The book and the film are quite different from one another, which is probably not two surprising.

"Bed-Knob and Broomstick" is actually two separate but related books that have been combined. In the first one, amateur witch Miss Price takes three children (Paul, Carey and Charles) to a tropical island via a magical bed-knob -- which is, unfortunately, inhabited by cannibals. The local "
Kate
A fun story of three children, a "witch" and a magical bedknob that takes them any time and place on earth (not quite the TARDIS but not far off). Shades of Mary Poppins too and well written, with that episodic speediness of 40s fiction. Norton wrote _The Borrowers_ series as well. Read as a discard from my elementary school library, and unfortunately, like Mary Poppins, seems a bit racist, with some south sea island cannibals. Enjoyable for a grownup!
Daisy White
I loved this book as a kid so was thrilled to spot it in a charity shop for my own children. The story starts off fairly slowly but builds brilliantly. My 7-year-old was reading by torchlight after lights out (his sign of a good book!)The character descriptions are beautifully done and the many strands of the story woven in very neatly, never losing focus or distracting the reader. Still love it!
Chris
It's by one of my favorite authors. It was actually very entertaining. I loved The Borrowers too!
Catherine
Jun 03, 2015 Catherine rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: I would recommend watching the film.
Shelves: childhoodbooks
I so desperately wanted to enjoy this book. I adore Disney's film adaptation, so I thought for sure I would love the source material on this gloomy day. Unfortunately, I was disappointed to find that the adventures in the film were far more extravagant, whimsical, and fun than the few adventures in the book. It doesn't happen often, but in this case I would strongly endorse viewing the film and forgetting about the book.

Perhaps it is just me, but I also found Carey and Charles to be quite bratt
Alessandro Canale
Piccolo capolavoro per l'infanzia che le nuove generazioni non conosceranno mai.
Keiran Broadhurst
I never knew this book existed. I always thought this was one of the few Disney films that was original. I came across this while looking for material that I could use for a magazine that is currently in the pipeline.

I'm not going to waste time comparing this to the film because there are few similarities and it's a wonderful book in its own right and I will say I can see why the film was what it was.

The book follows Miss Price a lady Carey, Charles and Paul meet while staying with an aunt over
Soobie's heartbroken
First of all, thanks to Serena! for making me realize that one of my favorite movies was based on a novel.

I was a bit baffled at the beginning: How could I approach this book knowing the movie adaptation by heart? But then I was sort of relieved when I found out that the book was completely different.

There's one thing I really missed: the final part, when there were all the uniforms and artifacts from the museum coming to life thanks to the Substitutiary Locomotion.

We're in Bedfordshire and th
Dave Jones
I ran out of library books to read so I grab a book from my library that I hadn't read and pulled out "Bed-Knob and Broomstick" by Mary Norton, the author of "The Borrowers". No, it isn't an abridged edition that eliminates the "S" that Disney added. One Bed-Knob. One Broomstick. And it is enough. I loved reading this book. It begins with one of the most brilliant openings for a children's book "Once upon a time there were three children, and their names were Carey, Charles, and Paul. Carey was ...more
Becky Keir Grace
So I picked up a copy of Bedknob and Broomstick and thought I would read the book that inspired one of my favorite childhood movies. If you are expecting them to be similar you will be disappointed. If you are looking for a book to simply entertain, then you will be pleased. The version I read was a combination of the two stories The Magic Bed-Knob and Bonfires and Broomsticks.

Carey, Charles, and Paul are sent to live with their aunt, and one morning they come across Miss Price ho has fallen and
Skye
4.5 Stars

Read this as a child and adored it, still lovely, especially Norton's witty and concise writing style, though the stories themselves were more exciting in my memory than in this reread.

Strangest thing is, I can remember scenes from these books that aren't in this edition or the Disney movie. I wonder if there is a another version out there?
Dale
Thoroughly enjoyable stories. This is the first time I have been able to obtain a copy of this title despite watching the Disney Movie when younger.

Mary Norton's Mary Norton stories The Adventures of the Borrowers are always full of interesting imagery of times gone by and the mixing in of the fantastical magic adds to the environment.

The illustrations by Erik Blegvad Erik Blegvad for the 1957 edition where The Magic Bed-knob, 1945 and Bonfires and Broomstics, 1947 are combined, are simply, scru
Danny
This book is almost completely unlike the movie in particulars, but can still be described as a book about three English children who find a rather prudish witch who grants them a magic bed-knob as a gift.

I enjoyed it. There's lots more time travel and brushes with tragedy.
Tim
This is one of my favorite movies. It has been since I was a kid. I know am in the minority in thinking it better than Marry Poppins...but I do.

I had never, however, read the book (or books--it's two short books). What fun! It is, of course a TOTALLY different story than the movie (no Nazis or talking animals or soccer matches and Emelius Brown fake magician is actually Emelius Jones a 17th Century Necromancer)...but it is also fun to find bits and pieces of the movie in the story...like Miss Pr
Erin
My daughter got this book from the library and I thought I would check it out since I remember loving it as a child. I think I did see the movie, but only once so I don't really remember it.

I was a little disappointed. It turns out that the book is actually two shorter stories published as one novel and it wasn't as good as I remembered.

The story was okay, but you learn very little about the children's backgrounds and personalities and it's just not that exciting. Also one episode where they vi
TwoDrinks
Most people cannot believe that I've neither read this book nor seen the film so when I came across it in a box in the loft it seemed that Fate was calling me. As a book of its time (published in 1945) it has some lovely subtle references to WW2, and overall I found it a charming read with some very thoughtful and well considered descriptions. I really liked the way Carey was 'about your age'. Although now it's going to wind me up every time someone calls it 'Bedknobs and Broomstick' and I'll ha ...more
An Odd1
In The Magic Bedknob, Carey "about your age", Charles "a little younger" and Paul "only six" p 11 are sent to Much Frensham village so their mother can work. They find prim Miss Price injured by falling off her broomstick. For their silence, she bespells a bedknob for Paul "the younger the better" p 32 to carry them where-ever and when-ever.
Adventure brings out gumption in the children, and laughter in Miss P and the reader. Instead of perusing moldy grimoires among dusty cobwebs, she dons a "w
Tammy Dring
The book, Bedknob and Broomstick, is actually a combination of two short stories into one volume by Mary Norton, who is more known for writing The Borrowers. It follows three young Londoners named Carey, Charles and Paul. While living with their aunt in the English countryside they learn that their spinsterly neighbor down the lane is a witch. Well, a witch in training. Miss Price, first name, Eglantine, (yeah Eglantine) is taking correspondence classes to become a witch. (Where do I find those ...more
Isabella
I think that all ages should read this book because it includes every detail in this book. For example, "You are a Witch! I saw you on a broom in the air last night, I saw it! Mrs. Price was whimpering sad as never before." This is a fantabulous book.

Mrs. Price:
This character has a lesson about living. Sometimes you want to hide things from people, but you have to tell the truth. For example, Mrs Price wanted to be a witch, but she did not want anybody to know. So, she always flew at night. One
Cruth
Author: Mary Norton
Illustrator: Anthony Lewis (1993)
First Published: 1943/1945

One of the easiest ways to convince my daughter we should read aloud a classic, is to get the DVD. We can't watch the movie until we've read the book. That's the rule! (And my daughter believes in rules). So while we were at the DVD shop picking up Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (we'd just finished Ian Fleming's original) we saw Bedknobs and Broomsticks with a 3-for-2 sticker. So, off we go to the bookshop...

I didn't read thi
  • Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, #1)
  • The Rescuers (The Rescuers, #1)
  • Mary Poppins in the Park (Mary Poppins, #4)
  • The Witch Family
  • Tillie the Terrible Swede: How One Woman, a Sewing Needle, and a Bicycle Changed History
  • The Phoenix and the Carpet (Five Children, #2)
  • Seven-Day Magic (Tales of Magic, #7)
  • Stowaway to the Mushroom Planet (Mushroom Planet, #2)
  • Basil of Baker Street
  • Letting Swift River Go
  • The Mennyms (Mennyms, #1)
  • Treasure of Green Knowe (Green Knowe, #2)
  • Pippi in the South Seas
  • The Story of Doctor Dolittle (Doctor Dolittle, #1)
  • Odd Boy Out: Young Albert Einstein
  • Emma's Poem: The Voice of the Statue of Liberty
  • Time at the Top
Mary Norton (née Pearson) was an English children's author. She was the daughter of a physician, and was raised in a Georgian house at the end of the High Street in Leighton Buzzard. The house now consists of part of Leighton Middle School, known within the school as The Old House, and was reportedly the setting of her novel The Borrowers. She married Robert C. Norton in 1927 and had four children ...more
More about Mary Norton...

Bedknobs and Broomsticks (2 books)
  • The Magic Bedknob
  • Bonfires and Broomsticks
The Borrowers (The Borrowers, #1) The Borrowers Afield (The Borrowers #2) The Borrowers Afloat (The Borrowers #3) The Borrowers Aloft (The Borrowers #4) The Borrowers Avenged (The Borrowers #5)