Start by marking “The Tower at the End of the World (Lewis Barnavelt, #9)” as Want to Read:
The Tower at the End of the World (Lewis Barnavelt, #9)

The Tower at the End of the World (Lewis Barnavelt #9)

When Lewis, his uncle Jonathan, and their friends Rose Rita Pottinger and Mrs. Zimmermann take a trip to a small town near Lake Superior, they expect a pleasant vacation. Instead, they find themselves facing the ghastly Ishmael Izard, son of the fiendish creator of the Doomsday Clock that was once hidden in the walls of Uncle Jonathan's house. Ishmael himself is a cruel an ...more
Published August 11th 2003 by Puffin (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Tower at the End of the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tower at the End of the World

Justin  K. Rivers
It's been several decades since The House With a Clock In Its Walls, and there's a very good reason for that. Bellairs told all the story he could reasonably tell about Issac Izzard and the Doomsday Clock. It was a simple plot that served to introduce us to likable characters and move them forward in their arcs, which were followed up in two direct sequels. Basically, there doesn't seem to be a very good reason to write another sequel, and if the story doesn't need to be told, that's a red flag ...more
Ken
Sep 16, 2013 Ken rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult
This one lost me. I was comfortable with the story, as shallow as it was, up until the final two or three chapters when things just kind of fell apart for me. The flow of the story became very disjointed. In general, I liked the premise. But, the story just felt rushed and lacking.

2 STARS
Joanne
Jan 04, 2017 Joanne rated it really liked it
This is a series I used to read to my son many years ago and discovered the series continued- i enjoyed picking it back up where we left off- it takes place in Michigan in the 1950's so interesting to hear about our state!
Cathleen
Aug 23, 2016 Cathleen rated it it was amazing
Lewis Barnavelt and his uncle Johnathan are yet on another magical mystery that you cannot put down. I had read this book many years ago and picked it up again because my children are starting to read all the John bellairs series. We are very happy that Mr. Stickland has added to the wonderful series, any parent who wants their kids to get interested in reading this is the series. Loved it as a kid and am thankful for the series as a parent. I would give it a 100 star rating if I could.
Drew
Nov 18, 2008 Drew rated it did not like it
Shelves: finished
I know John Bellairs. I have read many John Bellairs books. And Mr. Strickland, sir, you are no John Bellairs. Nice try, though; a lot of the right elements are there, and it's a treat to revisit these characters whom I've loved since maybe second grade. Hopefully kids who pick this up will go back to the original books, which are much subtler and richer in character.
Erin
Sep 09, 2016 Erin rated it really liked it
Shelves: series, young-adult, 2014
Yes, this a good creepy installment in the series. They brought back some old plot points, and Lewis was just as nervous as always!
Jacquelyn
Aug 01, 2014 Jacquelyn rated it it was ok
Parts of this book were really good and other parts seemed to skip around and not flow as well. It was ok.
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Oct 09, 2014
Colin Gagnon
Colin Gagnon rated it it was ok
Jul 09, 2015
Shilo
Shilo rated it it was amazing
Mar 16, 2014
Happywings
Happywings rated it liked it
Feb 07, 2010
Pamela
Pamela rated it it was amazing
Jun 30, 2015
Edward
Edward rated it liked it
Nov 11, 2011
Lisa
Lisa rated it liked it
Sep 19, 2013
Jeremy
Jeremy rated it it was amazing
Mar 03, 2013
Montana Bazzell
Montana Bazzell rated it it was amazing
Dec 13, 2012
Lisa
Lisa rated it liked it
Mar 20, 2009
Ash Anjinsan
Ash Anjinsan rated it did not like it
Jul 25, 2009
Kelly Tucker
Kelly Tucker rated it did not like it
Jul 18, 2009
Laura rated it really liked it
Sep 25, 2012
Chad
Chad rated it liked it
Feb 21, 2013
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
Dec 07, 2015
Darren
Darren rated it really liked it
Oct 16, 2012
Matthew Dame-Brusie
Matthew Dame-Brusie rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2011
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2008
Denise
Denise rated it liked it
Aug 27, 2008
Daniel
Daniel rated it it was amazing
Nov 30, 2013
Michael Tolley
Michael Tolley rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2013
Steve
Steve rated it liked it
Feb 05, 2015
Ilene
Ilene rated it really liked it
Sep 15, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Doom of the Haunted Opera (Lewis Barnavelt, #6)
  • The Enchanter Reborn
  • Shapeshifter's Quest
  • Second Sight
  • Maze: Solve the World's Most Challenging Puzzle
  • Blossom Culp and the Sleep of Death (Blossom Culp, #4)
William Bradley Strickland (b. 1947) is the author (or co-author) of over 60 novels and over 60 pieces of short fiction and poetry.

Born in New Hollard, Strickland earned his Ph.D. in American literature from the University of Georgia. He has taught English courses at the University of Georgia, Oglethorpe University, Truett-McConnell College, and, since 1987, at Gainesville State College.

His first
More about Brad Strickland...

Lewis Barnavelt (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The House with a Clock in Its Walls (Lewis Barnavelt, #1)
  • The Figure in the Shadows (Lewis Barnavelt, #2)
  • The Letter, the Witch, and the Ring (Lewis Barnavelt, #3)
  • The Ghost in the Mirror (Lewis Barnavelt, #4)
  • The Vengeance of the Witch-Finder (Lewis Barnavelt, #5)
  • The Doom of the Haunted Opera (Lewis Barnavelt, #6)
  • The Specter from the Magician's Museum (Lewis Barnavelt, #7)
  • The Beast Under the Wizard's Bridge (Lewis Barnavelt, #8)
  • The Whistle, the Grave, and the Ghost (Lewis Barnavelt, #10)
  • The House Where Nobody Lived (Lewis Barnavelt, #11)