Defender (Dark Ops, #1)

Defender (Dark Ops #1)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  981 ratings  ·  36 reviews
The sizzling first book in the Dark Ops Defenders series.

When a USO boat goes down in flames, pilot Jimmy Gage pulls a scantily clad Chloe Nelson out of shark filled waters. Chloe isn'�t looking for a jet-jock to be her bodyguard �until she finds herself side by side with Gage on a dangerous mission.
Published April 7th 2009 by Berkley

Something About You by Julie JamesA Lot like Love by Julie JamesWild Card by Lora LeighUnlawful Contact by Pamela ClareThe Darkest Hour by Maya Banks
I Love A Man In Uniform
167th out of 944 books — 901 voters
Nobody's Hero by Kallypso MastersMasters at Arms by Kallypso MastersNobody's Angel by Kallypso MastersNobody's Perfect by Kallypso MastersSands of Betrayal by A.B. McKinley
Military Romance and Fiction
76th out of 451 books — 597 voters

More lists with this book...

Auntee
Apr 10, 2009 Auntee rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of romantic suspense with a military twist
This one is for all you fans of Cherry Adair, Gennita Low, Marliss Melton, and Suzanne Brockmann--you know, the authors who write hot romantic suspense with a military twist. Catherine Mann's alpha heroes are usually Air Force men, so that's a bit of a change from the more popular Navy SEAL heroes. I've read a few of Mann's stories, and for the most part I've enjoyed them all. They're not too complicated with an overabundance of military jargon and whatnot, the plots are usually easy to follow (...more
Buggy
Opening Line:"Smoke trailing from the ass of his plane and terra firma approaching at meteoric speed, Captain Jimmy Gage figured he was about fifteen seconds away from being roadkill."

I was expecting DEFENDER to be an easy and somewhat silly read, thanks to the cheesy looking dude on the cover and equally ridiculous excerpt on the back but to my surprise this was actually really good.

This first instalment in the Dark-Ops series is well written with a gripping non-stop action storyline. The pace...more
Shawna
4 stars – Romantic Suspense

I like a good military romantic suspense, especially if it’s nice and steamy and the plot doesn’t get too bogged down with excess military lingo and overly confusing details. Catherine Mann’s style reminds me of Marliss Melton because she has an obvious respect for military men and women, knowledge of the protocol, and shoots for accuracy, yet she doesn’t go overboard with details like Amy J. Fetzer tends to. Although “Defender”, the first book in Mann’s new ‘Dark Ops’...more
♡Karlyn P♡
pretty good action suspense romance. The dialog between hero and heroine didn't always feel real, and the action was over the top at times, but I guess that is typical of this genre.
Norma
I liked this one. Good story. Bad guys who were bad, but just this side of cheesy-bad. Nice romance too.

I'll likely continue with the series. Ms. Mann does well with her military. They are heroes for sure and she's done her homework, but they are still human. Love that they're not super-human. Also, these are Air Force guys, which is a nice change from SEALs.
Sheryl
Yes I'm crazy but I'm reading the Dark Ops series while also reading the Elite Force series.... Again I will reiterate, why in the hell did I wait so long to read these books???!! I'm definitely on a Catherine Mann book binge!!! And might I add, loving her books!
Xenos
"Riveting action, relentless suspense, heroes to die for -- Catherine Mann delivers!" wrote one of my favorite authors, Suzanne Brockmann, about "Defender", the first book in CM's "Dark Ops" series. I must say, I agree with Ms. Brockmann 100%! What a freakin' thrill ride from the first page to the last!

Air Force test pilot Jimmy Gage and his team are sent on a reconnaissance mission to locate a missing airman who's being held captive somewhere in Istanbul. While on the way to rescue their comra...more
Jenn
I love Special/Dark Ops. The technical jargon used is fun to learn and understand and you get a feel of what they do and what they are about. I happened on the third book by mistake so am now working back to first and then forward. I hope this was the first book. I love the team and the camaraderie and serious throughout. This is the second time that Catherine Mann has used a female for the villain and let me tell you, women may be worse than men. A hot and sexy read with a heck of a suspense mi...more
Li
Too many POVs and different plotlines meant I never really got into the story. I did like her writing style though, slightly reminiscent of Brockmann’s SEAL books.
Jacqueline
Feb 18, 2010 Jacqueline rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Suzanne Brockmann/romantic suspense fans
Very good military romantic suspense. Black ops test pilots were a believable extrapolation. Sometimes authors make stuff/black ops groups up in order to tell their stories and some of them work better than others. This one worked well. The action was believable. Bad guys were well drawn with clear motivations. I like both the hero and the heroine. He was a tortured soul without wallowing in it. She was a gutsy girl trying to live life to the fullest. The dialog was good. The romance was believa...more
Jess Candela
It was pretty good, but I kept reading a few chapters at night before bed and never had any difficulty putting it down. And then I picked it up one night to discover I'd already finished it. Any book I can't remember having finished obviously isn't too memorable. I might read more by this author, but I'm not feeling super motivated.
Valerie
I give this book a 3.5 rating. It was interesting and I liked Jimmy and Chloe. It's about this guy Jimmy (a.k.a. Hotwire) which is the air force version of the black ops on dangerous missions done in the name of USA security and protection of it's citizens and country. Lots of action and a touch of romance. If you enjoy reading a good book with lots of action and fast-paced than this book is for you.
Rosie  Castle
Just too much at once. Three different stories at the same time don't give the opportunity to connect to either of them. I didn't feel the chemistry between the characters.
Cari
Beginning Chapter 7. Slow start so far... Keeps switching back and forth. Don't feel the "connection" between Jimmy and Chloe yet. Hopefully will come. Love Catherine Mann, but not her best so far. I finally got into the book in Chapter 19.

I have to say that I've read all of Catherine's Wingman Warriors series back-to-back. LOVED them all, plus her Desires, so this is an anomaly. It could just be me, not her book. :-)
Mareli
The starting of this book is very fast! I loved it. ANd then things slow down but all in all it's a great action story. I liked the heroine a lot, because she suffered from a transplant and after this she takes everything living it fully.

ABout passion, well, CM is very modest and all the sex scenes are g-rated (or they seemed to be, I just finished reading some very hot stuff!!).

I'm already onto the next one!
Tricia
I like suspense, romance, and military. But for some reason, I just couldn't get into this book. Kept switching around and leaving me lost. Too many characters and none of them as strong as what I have been reading lately. Catherine Mann is a great writer but in my opinion, this one was not one of her better books.
Beth
Jimmy and Chloe (different female name) When a USO boat goes down in flames, pilot Jimmy Gage pulls a scantily clad Chloe Nelson out of sharkfilled waters. Chloe isn'�t looking for a jet-jock to be her bodyguard �until she finds herself side by side with Gage on a dangerous mission.
Cindi
Very interesting tale taken from today's headlines but with AF pilot Uber-Alphas for heros. Now I understand more the people in the middle of war for their country, and why you should never leave your bags unattended anywhere . . .
Karsyn
I thought I would like this, and it was just too slow going or something. I dunno. Took me forever (2 days, that's forever for me) to finish it up. Just was meh. 2.5 stars really.
Andria

Awesome book! Action packed. Kept my interest. Loved the characters and the way they talked to each other. Will definitely be reading the rest of the series.
Jennifer McCoy, YA Sisterhood

My excitement fell short with this one. There were too many different POV's that it just got tiresome. I really didn't start enjoying it until the last 25%.
♥ Nell ♥
I like this one a lot. Loved the storyline, except about Jimmy backing off for a bit once Chloe revealed her past. Can't wait to read about the others.
Paula Robinson
Check out my blog post for the review. Here"s the link: http://peacenlovepaula.blogspot.com/2...
Rinou
Perhaps a little to much military jargon at times, but a great heroine and a good hero with a solid plot.
Cheryl
So much better than the back of the book describes it! I love Catherine Mann and this one rocks!
Ann
3.5 stars. Ok read. Catherine Mann's Elite Force Series (Cover Me - bk1) is much better.
~Megan~
Absolutely loved it...hoping the rest of the series is just as good!
Tisha Looker
Cute, but not amazing.
Sherry
I'm giving Defender 3 and a half stars; a great start for a series!
Alicia
Enjoyable read by one of my favorite authors.
Win an ARC copy of Defender by Catherine Mann 1 14 Mar 06, 2009 04:28PM
  • Show No Fear (SEAL Team 12, #7)
  • Deadly Descent (Bagram Special Ops, #1)
  • Shoot to Thrill (Passion For Danger, #1)
  • Take No Prisoners (Black Ops, #2)
  • Shattered (High Risk, #3)
  • Hard to Hold (Hold Trilogy, #1)
  • Breaking Free (SEAL TEAM Heartbreakers #1)
  • Pursuit
USA Today bestselling author Catherine Mann writes contemporary romance for Berkley, Harlequin, and Sourcebooks, with her work reprinted in more than twenty countries. A RITA Award winner, she lives on the Florida coast where she and her military flyboy husband have brought up four children. An active volunteer with her local Humane Society, Catherine enjoys writing while foster puppies nap on her...more
More about Catherine Mann...
Cover Me (Elite Force, #1) Hot Zone (Elite Force #2) Under Fire (Elite Force, #3) Free Fall (Elite Force, #4) Hotshot (Dark Ops, #2)