Start by marking “Going Solo” as Want to Read:
Going Solo

Going Solo (Roald Dahl Autobiography #2)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  10,870 ratings  ·  578 reviews
The fascinating story of Roald Dahl's life continues in Going Solo, a marvelous evocation of the author's wartime exploits. As a pilot in World War II, Roald Dahl had some wonderfully exciting -- and frighteningly near-death -- experiences including encounters with the enemy, battles with deadly snakes, and incredible dogfights. Told with the same irresistible appeal that ...more
Published January 1st 1999 by Puffin (first published 1986)

Malbadeen
Jan 13, 2011 Malbadeen rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: boys (yep. I'm sexist like that)
Recommended to Malbadeen by: comes quietly back to thought
2). I'm giving this book 5 stars without having actually read it, but ya know what it's my review so I can do whatever I want (don't try and stop me)!
It's getting 5 stars because my 2nd grade son LOVES, LOVES, LOVES it!!! The other night he got sent to bed with no read aloud (the little bastard lied to me about brushing his teeth, I know I'm such a hard ass) but he didn't even care!!! He just said "OK", grabbed his this book and happily trotted off to bed.
Then last night I had to go into his roo
Monica!
I’m apparently the only person in the world, friends, who was unaware that Roald Dahl was a fighter pilot in World War II. I base this declaration not only on the fact that Miriam was all, “And also he invented all this medical technology, and he was married to a hot actress!” but because everyone I race up to, waving this book and blabbering about ROALD DAHL GOING DOWN IN FLAMES IN THE MIDDLE OF THE DESERT, is just calmly like, “Yeah? You didn’t know that?”

I’m clearly out of touch with amazing
Miund
First I read 'Boy' and then I read 'Going Solo'. This book is perfect. Roald Dahl tells the grown-up part of his life in such a way that made me crave more for his adventures in the Royal Air Force. It's like sitting in a cafe, listening to your date who's telling you amusing stories of his life. He's a hundred years older than you are, yet you still find him attractive!
Nina
Roald Dahl is not just a great writer - he's a wonderful human being, and that's what makes him so damn good at writing too.

He's observant and self-aware, matter-of-fact but wondering, curious and amazed at life, brave and charming in the way he writes and the things he's done, concise and generous and really fucking tall.
I'm pretty much in love with his soul.
Alastair
A remarkable account of a remarkable portion of a remarkable life. Rereading this as an adult, I left with a much greater appreciation for my late grandfather's WW2 air force service and the ghastly "waste of life" he, too, was lucky enough to survive.
Andy
Following on from Boy, Going Solo was another tremendously important book to me as a child. Where I could relate to his boyhood tales in some way, the next part of his life was a complete window to another world. Read then it was extraordinary and magical; read now I appreciate it on different levels entirely.

Dahl mentions how lucky he felt to have witnessed the later days of colonial Britain and the people that made the empire. All negative issues relating to Colonialism aside (I'm not going to
Leif Fosse
The book Going Solo is full of exciting, breathtaking, suspenseful, and defiantly worth reading. This book is about a young mans life and all of his adventures. The one thing that I really like about this book is that the fun never stops. First they talk about his adventures traveling with the Shell Oil company, and how he went to Africa and ran into many obstacles on his way.
The second half of this book gets even better. Roald Dahl enter the Air force and encounters many different situations
Calebishere
I wish I could say I have been all over the world, have crashed landed a plane, or have shot-down German aces, which is why I really admire Roald Dahl. Dahl leaves England at age twenty one to work for the Shell oil company in Africa. Dahl worked in Africa until the outbreak of World War II, when he enlisted in the RAF and learned to fly warplanes. After becoming a pilot officer, Dahl fought in Greece as it was overtaken by the Germans. Dahl’s book “Going Solo” tells all about his adventures wit ...more
Elizabeth
heh. recommended to me by Miriam, who noticed that it wasn't on my Flying shelf. That's because I read it long before I set up my Goodreads account! Dahl's account of the Battle of Athens is one of my touchstones - the desperation and exhaustion of the RAF pilots, their relative cluelessness about what's going on everywhere else, the hands that shake too much to hold a cigarette when you're back on the ground - it's incredibly vivid and has influenced my own writing. The rest of the book is jaw- ...more
Emery Gray
This book had some really exciting parts in it where the suspense was high, over wether Dahl was going to make it out of the dogfight alive. The rest of the book had a lot of repetition. Over and over again he just had dogfights and then landed and did the same thing. Here and there, there was an exciting part like i said. My favorite part of the book was probably when he crashed and had to be brought back to life.
The whole first half of the book was mainly my favorite part. Before he started
Herman
This is a fun interesting autobiagraphy and had alot of adventures. This is also a very realistic book even if it is just for kids it has alot of humor. Roald writes about his recount of his experiences in Africa working for the ShellOil Company and as a pilot in WW2.
Dahl tells us about cool stories of himself meeting people. A person who puts salt on his shoulders to pretend he had dandruff just for a business meeting. Someone who runs around the boat naked in the morning. Someone who eats ora
Anna
I adored 'Boy' when I read it as a child, and was always disappointed that I could never find 'Going Solo' in a separate edition (even at a young age it didn't make financial sense to buy a copy of a book I already had in order to get the second version!).

It may have been a long wait, but it was worth it. Dahl's real life it seems was almost as eventful as his books, and in case I'd forgotten, this was a wonderful reminder of quite how brilliant he is at telling a story!
Hana
Buku ini merupakan sambungan dari 'Boy', siri memoir Roald Dahl sendiri. Kisah hidupnya yang ini berkisar pada hujung 1930-an dan awal 1940-an, ketika Perang Dunia Ke-2 meletus. Pertemuannya dengan seorang tua dan sekumpulan anak yatim Yahudi di Jerusalem yang melarikan diri daripada dibunuh oleh Hitler, pada saya begitu menarik. Teknik penceritaan Roald Dahl yang unik dan segar, membuatkan saya selaku pembaca terasa seolah-olah kisah hidupnya ini baharu sahaja berlaku.
Panayoti Kelaidis
A gift from my daughter (so it's very special). I have mixed feelings about Dahl: I really am not crazy about Childrens' books, which is Dahl's forte after all--I never read them as a child, and am even less crazy about them as an adult. This is not a children's book, but an extremely readable part of Dahl's compelling memoirs: he led a dashing, fashionable, quirky and extremely anecdotal life: the book consists of one good story, followed up by another great yarn--all told with the spellbinding ...more
Sean
"Going Solo" by Roald Dahl is a book that has resonated very deeply with me. A memoir of his time in Africa and the Middle East before during World War II, "Going Solo" show a young Dahl in his early twenties confronting the joys, struggles, and ironies of... growing up during a time of war, all of which he does with his characteristic wit and energy. The narrative is very engaging and one gets a deep sense of Dahl's thoughts and experiences as a young person in the wider world for the first tim ...more
David
One hesitates to drop names, but it is just essential that you should know that this book was presented to me by the Norwegian Ambassador as a hostess gift when she came to my home. As she did so, she wanted me to clearly understand that Dahl was actually Norwegian, and not English, as widely but inaccurately thought. This is by far the best hostess gift that I have ever received, much better than the usual boring bottle of wine or bunch of uselessly beautiful flowers.

This is a short, well-writt
Alex Baugh
Going Solo is one of my most popular posts and so I have decided to give it an encore presentation today. After all, September 13th is Roald Dahl Day in honor of his birthday - he was born in Wales in 1916.ld Dahl Day in honor of his birthday - he was born in Wales in 1916.

Going Solo begins with Dahl traveling to East Africa to work for the Shell Oil Company in 1938 at the age of 22. It took two weeks to travel from London to Mombasa by boat and Dahl provides vivid, humorous descriptions of some
Disha Acharya
I have not hidden my review because of spoilers, since I am reviewing a memoir and not a novel of fiction, so it doesn’t matter even if I write about something which is potentially seen as a spoiler, it will only be a ‘detail’ of something the reader will already know about Roald Dahl’s life. Please note that I have generously interspersed memoir with novel and vice versa in the review.

O.K so here goes. I have given the book only three stars. I know mine will be an unpopular opinion and review b
Timothy Bazzett
Another writer once told me that one of the most important elements to be found in a memoir is a "likeable" narrator. Roald Dahl is perhaps one of the MOST likeable of narrators. Modest to a fault and blessed with a very sly and subtle sense of humor, the story Dahl tells in GOING SOLO, his sequel to BOY, is perhaps one of the most readable memoirs of modern times. His story of the quick and almost informal training he received at a flying school in Africa shortly after Great Britain entered WWI ...more
Seth
A few years back in yr 5, my teacher read us the original version of Roald Dahl's Autobiography 'Boy'. I absolutely loved it, every day i would ask my teacher to read us at lest a few pages every day, it was that enjoyable! After we had finished ready the book half way through the year. Our teacher told us that he had another autobiography about his adult hod, as 'Boy' (the book we finished reading) was part 1 out of 2 of his autobiography. I was desperate to read this other autobiography, but a ...more
D.M. Dutcher (Sword Cross Rocket)
I'm not sure why this is marketed is a kid's book. It's a very adult biography of Dahl's experiences before and during WW2, and has adult themes to it, including a pretty bleak outlook on the war.

Dahl recounts his adult life here. From dealing with eccentric British expats (one husband and wife run naked every morning, one obsesses about cleanliness and thinks toes are disgusting,) to the horror of rounding up Germans to send to a camp once war is declared (and discovering the barbarism of the "
Stuart Macalpine
Extraordinarily crisp; a really intriguing picture of war. Describing his shaking and sweat after an air battle, there is no register of nightmares or ptsd. Likewise the stories of gentlemanly not strafing an airfield upon which Vichy French were having a cocktail party, until after they saw the female guests had run off the field, despite this giving the enemy time to get anti-aircraft fire ready, and consequently Dahl's squadron losing planes.

Was war really treated with such bravado and emotio
Caleb Cherrie
1. Why I decided to read this book:
I decided to read this book because a fellow class mate was reading it and said that I might enjoy it. At the time I thought it was a good idea because it is only of the few books left for me to read written by Roald Dahl. I stand to that decision because it was a joyful and peaceful read adding to my wide reading goals.

2. Which category on the bingo board this book completes:
You should comment on the category too – why was it interesting (or not)?
The category
Kay
Roald Dahl was a noted raconteur, which is abundantly clear in this wartime memoir, which takes off where his childhood memoir, Boy, left off. Written for young adults, the book nevertheless has considerable appeal for adults, particularly in his narration of his exploits as an Shell employee in British East Africa (Kenya) and then as an RAF pilot after World War II broke out.

There are many thrilling episodes -- everything from man-eating lions and encounters with deadly mamba snakes in the Bri
Hermann Gucinski
I got this little book from my daughter for Christmas because she knows I am a flying enthusiast. But the book has a far larger scope. Roald Dahl is a skilled, well-known writer, now deceased, "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" is one of his children's book. "Going Solo" is autobiographical, but he goes for only the highlights in his life, describing some powerful incidents while living in colonial Africa before WWII, the coming of the war, becoming a pilot, and surviving the most improbable ev ...more
Joe Curtis
I read Going Solo because my mum bought it for me.
I really enjoyed this book because it was a great insight into how Roald Dahl felt about the English colonization of Africa. It also showed how he felt about the war and what it was like in North Africa in the RAF.
This completes the "A book with a male main character" bingo square.
My favourite quote from quote from this book was "I thought you better watch out, the german's will have you for supper if you're not careful. It was just after saying
Sophie Muller
Absolutely fascinating if I overlook the episode of the boy beheading the German farmer. I was spellbound by the stories of how poorly managed the RAF was at some point during World War II. Also fascinated by R. Dahl's fearlessness! I will read the first installment for sure!
Margaret
Normally, I hate books that are set during wartime. I just find them incredibly boring. Maybe, it has something to do with being bombarded with war stuff (books, movies, TV shows, and paraphernalia) my whole life. I just cringe and walk away if war is mentioned on the sleeve. In spite of this, I read Going Solo, because I love everything Roald Dahl has written. Roald did not disappoint me. This book was a page-turner that kept me up till 2am on more than one work night. He combines enticing deta ...more
Daniel Jiang
After finish reading the first chapter of this book, The chapter is showing us a long journey from England to Africa in fall, Dahl are going through the red sea, and they seen a lot of interesting facts on the ship. I think this is a good book and it is pretty interesting because the author is really trying to bring us something new, some thing special and we never seen before.
Matthew Konkel
I was hoping for some kind of insight into Dahl's writing background. But that's not really what it is. Instead, it's about Dahl's adventures flying during the war. And it's pretty damn cool. The book is written for a junior high grade level so it's an easy read. Here's a quote that Dahl writes about fighting but it could just as easy apply to everyday life as well: "I was already beginning to realize that the only way to conduct oneself in a situation where bombs rained down and bullets whizzed ...more
Autobiography of Roald Dahl 1 19 Feb 15, 2013 10:59PM
  • Harry and the Wrinklies
  • It's a Jungle Out There (The Rani Adventures, #1)
  • Storyteller: The Authorized Biography of Roald Dahl
  • What Hearts
  • The Road from Home: A True Story of Courage, Survival, and Hope
  • The Shining Company
  • Kinderen van Moeder Aarde (De Toekomsttrilogie, #1)
  • Ogen Van Tijgers: Een Toekomstroman
  • The Secret of Spiggy Holes (The Secret Series, #2)
  • The Worst Witch All at Sea (Worst Witch, #4)
  • The Ramsay Scallop
  • The Woeful Second World War
  • Homesick: My Own Story
  • The Gammage Cup (The Minnipins, #1)
  • Father's Arcane Daughter
  • D is for Dahl: A gloriumptious A-Z guide to the world of Roald Dahl
  • Mudville
  • Knots in My Yo-Yo String

Dahl's first published work, inspired by a meeting with C. S. Forester, was Shot Down Over Libya. Today the story is published as "A Piece of Cake". The story, about his wartime a
More about Roald Dahl...
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Charlie Bucket, #1) Matilda James and the Giant Peach The BFG The Witches

“I was already beginning to realize that the only way to conduct oneself in a situation where bombs rained down and bullets whizzed past, was to accept the dangers and all the consequences as calmly as possible. Fretting and sweating about it all was not going to help.” 73 likes
“What a fortunate fellow I am, I kept telling myself. Nobody has ever had such a lovely time as this!” 16 likes