Re-Bound: Creating Handmade Books from Recycled and Repurposed Materials

Re-Bound: Creating Handmade Books from Recycled and Repurposed Materials

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  265 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Re-Bound is a beautiful book on bookbinding with a fun green twist-all the projects use recycled and upcycled materials. This book shows you how to take everyday materials from around the house, flea markets, thrift stores, and hardware stores and turn them into clever and eye-catching hand-made books.
Published July 1st 2009 by Quarry Books (first published January 1st 2009)

Heather Moss
I am so glad I bought this book; I love it. So many good ideas for repurposing materials to turn them into books. The photography is very clear and high-quality and the instructions are precise. It's ok for beginners and people with a little experience, too. I can't wait to go thrifting to find more stuff to use for my books.
Anna
Feb 12, 2013 Anna rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013, apl
Some neat inspiration for making your own books from scratch, especially when first browsed quickly.
However, when seen more closely, many of the ideas are not that practical. Many look pretty, but my favorite ideas are not those presented by the author but by the presented featured authors. Such as using random thin cardboard like cereal boxes or chocolate boxes for the covers. Many of the bookbinding techniques were presented, and materials needed and which materials age graciously and which no...more
Ezekiel
I found the ideas in this book too... self-satisfied. While I'm a big fan of artist's books in general, I a) did not find many of them in this book all that inspiring and b) was annoyed by how few of the projects were meant to be an actual book (aka, a place wherein is written things). It felt like Re-Bound was more about making "book-like objects" than making books.

Oh, and another thing, turning "vintage" items into books is not recycling. Technically it's repurposed, but it hardly is all that...more
Cindi
Jeannine Stein begins this book by explaining the parts of every book like the spine, the fore edge and the text block. She also goes into tools and materials crafters and artists will want to have on hand when beginning their projects like various kinds of cutting tools, twines and threads and awls and drills. Before getting into the actual bookmaking she also goes over techniques and guidelines no matter what type of book is being created. This is especially important information for people th...more
Alyssa
I love the idea of upcycling and repurposing materials. That said, this is not what I was looking for, nor does it share my aesthetic taste. This book does a good job of introducing book-binding techniques and perhaps inspiring book-like art. For those looking for a guide to make practical handmade books, this is not it.
Mckinley
Make books from anything and everything. Tools, general instructions and projects. For more fun ideas see the gallery of art books at the end.
Marlo
I saw this book briefly a year ago, then promptly lost the piece of paper with the title written on it. Many google and library and book store searches later I found many other books in this category but none as good. Finally got my hands on a copy and I am jumping into the projects now. This book is great for being eco-friendly and still having great looking projects of a high quality. It is written to be useful to beginners or those who already have a lot of experience. As an experienced book...more
Lisa
This book caught my eye as I passed the "new" bookstand at the library. I have made a few books in the past, mostly from instructions found on the internet and a mother/child class, and find them fascinating and fun to make.

I absolutely LOVE this book and am adding it to the top of my Christmas list for Santa. Re-bound is a great resource book as the author has instructions on how to make several types of books from lots of different recycled materials. She also has a fabulous list of tools at...more
Erin
Much less impressed with this book once I got it home from the library. The photographs are gorgeous, but I wanted to learn how to make books, ones that I could write in or collect art or something in, and this was mostly just... pretty items, reused or recycled or repurposed, bound together. If that's what you're looking for, great. The materials Stein works with are certainly creative and unusual; perhaps this can inspire someone else.
Catherine Woodman
THis is absolutely the best book on making your own bound books that I have seen--since the kids have been making their own books for over a decade, I feel like I have a sense of what it entails, and this book oes through the stitching required for many different styles of handmade books that seems like it would be possible to start with no knowledge and be successful.
Sally
As with all craft books, there were some winners and losers in here. Overall, I have enjoyed every Quarry published book I've looked at. They're like artist-crafts. My favorite project was the one on the cover, not so much because it used spent gift cards (credit card sized) for covers (which is so cute), but the binding style is one I'd like to try next.
Dana
I like the idea of making crafty items using recycled and repurposed materials and this book has some great ideas for doing that! I won't have a chance to try to make any of these items until after we move - too much stuff is packed already, but I am looking forward to re-checking out this book from the library and trying out some of the ideas it presents soon!
RF
auuugggh... went nuts and made an impulse buy at B&N - I love bookbinding and reusing materials. The book artist in me is THRILLED to play with these fun ideas... This is a great way to reuse materials and make some super fun (and mostly simple) book bindings. Well illustrated and will get your bookmaking impulses flowing...
Casey
It was cute and interesting, but mainly just a book where you look at the pretty pictures and then move on with your life. Unless you're a person who will actually make a book out of old Monopoly game boards or potato chip bags.
Laura Salas
Jessica
Really specific projects based on making books from recycled materials, but very interesting binding ideas. most materials in the book are things that are easily accessible and are things that we throw away every day.
Rebekah
It didn't give as many practical ideas (about things people have around the house--at least normal people) as I hoped, but I enjoyed it nonetheless and will probably take a few ideas from it.
Erika
I agree with many of the other reviews I read here; this is a good resource book for ideas, but not so great for presenting bookmaking materials and techniques.
Misty
Aug 23, 2009 Misty is currently reading it
Love the idea of this book. It's got gorgeous photography and good looking projects. Haven't completed any of them yet so don't know if they are easy to follow or not.
Aljan
I so want a copy of this book! The projects are clever and beautiful. The instructions are well delivered and easy to follow.
Julie
Jul 15, 2012 Julie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: art
Patterns are included in the back of the book. Very practical. Shows you how to make everyday items from everyday materials.
Jillian
Great ideas for re-purposing materials into books. Clear photos and precise instructions. Easy for beginners too!
Opal Trelore
There are several projects in this book that I'd like to try, but I never seem to have the time or the right materials.
Tracey
Mar 20, 2012 Tracey rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
adult nonfiction; craft. Detailed instructions for various bindings and inspiration for creative re-use.
Gina
Creative ideas for re-purposing common items into uncommonly clever books. Sparks many ideas.
Tammy
I would like to revisit this book when I have more time to experiment with more of the ideas.
Diane
Apr 03, 2010 Diane marked it as to-read
Shelves: crafts
love love love the felted sweater jounal!!! too cute! lots of cute and creative variations.
Nicole
Oct 06, 2009 Nicole rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Sara, Sue
A neat book. Offers ideas and inspiration for more. But really, when am I going to get the time?!
Beth
Very preety books, but I didn't see a whole lot of practical uses for them.
Emily
This book had tons of great ideas. I can't wait to try some of them.
  • How to Make Books: Fold, Cut & Stitch Your Way to a One-of-a-Kind Book
  • Making Handmade Books: 100+ Bindings, Structures & Forms
  • Cover to Cover: Creative Techniques for Making Beautiful Books, Journals & Albums
  • Playing with Books: The Art of Upcycling, Deconstructing, and Reimagining the Book
  • 500 Handmade Books: Inspiring Interpretations of a Timeless Form (500 Series)
  • Printing by Hand: A Modern Guide to Printing with Handmade Stamps, Stencils, and Silk Screens
  • Craftivity: 40 Projects for the DIY Lifestyle
  • Pretty Little Things: Collage Jewelry, Keepsakes, Trinkets
  • The Decorated Journal: Creating Beautifully Expressive Journal Pages
  • Print Workshop: Hand-Printing Techniques and Truly Original Projects
  • Indie Publishing: How to Design and Publish Your Own Book
  • Visual Chronicles: The No-Fear Guide to Creating Art Journals, Creative Manifestos & Altered Books
  • 1000 Ideas for Creative Reuse: Remake, Restyle, Recycle, Renew
  • Alphabetica: An A-Z Creativity Guide for Collage and Book Artists
  • The Cute Book
  • The Journal Junkies Workshop: Visual Ammunition for the Art Addict
  • 1000 Journals Project
  • World of Geekcraft: Step-by-Step Instructions for 25 Super-Cool Craft Projects
Adventures in Bookbinding: Handcrafting Mixed-Media Books