Start by marking “Gwen Bristow's Plantation Trilogy” as Want to Read:
Gwen Bristow's Plantation Trilogy

Gwen Bristow's Plantation Trilogy

Consists of
Deep Summer (1937), The Handsome Road (1938), This Side of Glory (1940).
Published January 28th 1962 by Thomas Crowell Co. (first published 1962)

To ask other readers questions about Gwen Bristow's Plantation Trilogy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gwen Bristow's Plantation Trilogy

Nancy
Feb 25, 2010 Nancy rated it really liked it
The first book of The Plantation Trilogy (Deep Summer, The Handsome Road, and This Side of Glory) was published in 1937, a year after the publication of Gone With the Wind. The multi-generational story begins in pre-Revolutionary War Louisiana and finishes after World War I. The author, Gwen Bristow, is particularly interested in the plight of poor whites. I really liked her analysis of cultural and economic conditions in Louisiana.
Dennis
Jul 25, 2009 Dennis rated it really liked it
Books of my childhood. They may not hold up but they're the books that made me, so I honor them. I really loved these books dearly.
Lesa
Jun 30, 2009 Lesa rated it it was amazing
The Plantation Trilogy is one of my favorite series. Her writing is so smooth, I got lost and didn't want to stop. I have her books and every now and then read the series again. It's like coming home again.
Maree
May 16, 2011 Maree rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this trilogy. I especially enjoy the historical aspect--I loved reading about how people lived and the effects of the wars, etc. on their daily lives. It was long--somewhere near 800 or 900 pages, but I liked it.
Denise
May 17, 2011 Denise rated it it was amazing
LOVED. Deep Summer took my heart, The Handsome Road has even more in depth characters. Hard to say which book was my favorite, I recommend to anyone who loves Southern Historical Fiction
Jane
Apr 28, 2012 Jane rated it it was amazing
Read these as a young woman and have re-read them twice since.
Kati
Aug 23, 2008 Kati rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Shannon, Mom
I really enjoyed these three novels. The first starts in the pre-civil war era and the last ends just after WWI, so you get a glimpse of a good portion of history throughout them, and it is interesting to see how things and people changed throughout that time period.
Amy Hightower
Jun 18, 2012 Amy Hightower rated it it was amazing
I love Gwen's style of writing! Great books, I couldn't put them down!
Mary
Apr 23, 2013 Mary rated it it was amazing
Loved it!
Victoria
Sep 14, 2012 Victoria rated it it was amazing
Read this some time ago. This trilogy is still in the top ten of books I have read.
Daisy
Aug 01, 2012 Daisy added it
Love the author beautiful. Book!
Janet
Mar 10, 2013 Janet rated it it was amazing
Plantation Trilogy
Deb
Aug 21, 2016 Deb rated it really liked it
Loved all of these novels. (published in Gone with the Wind timeframe.) Again, easy reading, very visual. I just got lost in these stories of the historic south. I did not know anything about the cotton world of the south and now I have some perspective. These 3 books cover generations of 2 families, begins before the Revolutionary War in Louisiana and finishes after World War I. I finally understand a little about the dreadful carpetbaggers.

The plantation and its evolution of growing indigo th
David Koblos
Dec 28, 2012 David Koblos rated it it was ok
Shelves: history
Dreaming of America... Southern belles and gentlemen, slave-holding aristocracy, the confederacy and the war of secession, all this in a family drama akin to "Gone with the Wind". Not exactly a genre I would get too excited about, but for the time being I enjoyed reading it.
Lea
Jul 07, 2011 Lea rated it it was ok
I had really high hopes for this book from the start, but was really disgusted with it by the end. I would recommend it, however, because it is an interesting look at past perceptions about history (the storyline spans from the 1700s to the 1920s, and was written in 1937.)
Kim Myers
Jul 20, 2016 Kim Myers rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finished
One of the best books (or 3 since its a trilogy) that i've ever read, especially the first book. Totally engaging and so hard to put down. If you enjoy historical novels, this one is for you.
Taunya Macht
Quick easy read, very visual, very southern. I read all three books within about a week and a half to two week time frame and loved each one. I wished there were more! Loved the characters.
Terry
Terry rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2016
Rachel Cotney
Rachel Cotney rated it really liked it
Jul 06, 2012
Dana
Dana rated it it was amazing
Apr 09, 2016
Esraa
Esraa rated it liked it
Jun 03, 2016
Esther
Esther rated it it was amazing
Jan 29, 2012
Laurie Slaten
Laurie Slaten rated it it was amazing
Jul 21, 2014
Sarah Rysdam
Sarah Rysdam rated it really liked it
Sep 18, 2014
Kathy
Kathy rated it really liked it
May 16, 2016
Anduine
Anduine rated it it was amazing
Nov 15, 2015
Netpawz
Netpawz rated it it was amazing
Aug 12, 2012
Momo
Momo rated it it was amazing
Nov 11, 2011
Angela
Angela rated it did not like it
Jan 31, 2015
Hella
Hella rated it really liked it
May 08, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Something Borrowed, Something Blue
  • Love and Mary Ann
  • Csardas
  • Pioneer, Go Home!
  • Winona's Pony Cart (Deep Valley, #3)
  • This Other Eden (Eden, #1)
  • Der König der purpurnen Stadt
  • The Pirate Queen
  • The Mystery That Never Was
  • Son of a Hundred Kings
  • The Tyrant (The Golden Chronicles, #3)
  • The Darkangel Trilogy
  • Nethergate
  • Now I'll Tell You Everything (Alice, #25)
  • This Was Tomorrow (Williamsburg, #6)
American author and journalist. She studied at Columbia University and afterwards wrote for a number of literary magazines and journals. Eventually she moved to New Orleans, and worked at the Times-Picayune. She became interested in longer forms of writing—novels and short stories—through her husband, screenwriter Bruce Manning, and published her first novel in 1929.

Bristow reached the pinnacle o
More about Gwen Bristow...