Start by marking “Gwen Bristow's Plantation Trilogy” as Want to Read:
Gwen Bristow's Plantation Trilogy

Gwen Bristow's Plantation Trilogy

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  137 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Consists of
Deep Summer (1937), The Handsome Road (1938), This Side of Glory (1940).
Published January 28th 1962 by Thomas Crowell Co. (first published 1962)

To ask other readers questions about Gwen Bristow's Plantation Trilogy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gwen Bristow's Plantation Trilogy

Nancy
The first book of The Plantation Trilogy (Deep Summer, The Handsome Road, and This Side of Glory) was published in 1937, a year after the publication of Gone With the Wind. The multi-generational story begins in pre-Revolutionary War Louisiana and finishes after World War I. The author, Gwen Bristow, is particularly interested in the plight of poor whites. I really liked her analysis of cultural and economic conditions in Louisiana.
Dennis
Books of my childhood. They may not hold up but they're the books that made me, so I honor them. I really loved these books dearly.
Maree
I really enjoyed this trilogy. I especially enjoy the historical aspect--I loved reading about how people lived and the effects of the wars, etc. on their daily lives. It was long--somewhere near 800 or 900 pages, but I liked it.
Lesa
The Plantation Trilogy is one of my favorite series. Her writing is so smooth, I got lost and didn't want to stop. I have her books and every now and then read the series again. It's like coming home again.
Denise
LOVED. Deep Summer took my heart, The Handsome Road has even more in depth characters. Hard to say which book was my favorite, I recommend to anyone who loves Southern Historical Fiction
Jane
Read these as a young woman and have re-read them twice since.
Lea Wentworth
I had really high hopes for this book from the start, but was really disgusted with it by the end. I would recommend it, however, because it is an interesting look at past perceptions about history (the storyline spans from the 1700s to the 1920s, and was written in 1937.)
David Koblos
Dreaming of America... Southern belles and gentlemen, slave-holding aristocracy, the confederacy and the war of secession, all this in a family drama akin to "Gone with the Wind". Not exactly a genre I would get too excited about, but for the time being I enjoyed reading it.
Kati
Aug 23, 2008 Kati rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Shannon, Mom
I really enjoyed these three novels. The first starts in the pre-civil war era and the last ends just after WWI, so you get a glimpse of a good portion of history throughout them, and it is interesting to see how things and people changed throughout that time period.
Victoria
Read this some time ago. This trilogy is still in the top ten of books I have read.
Amy Hightower
I love Gwen's style of writing! Great books, I couldn't put them down!
Daisy
Aug 01, 2012 Daisy added it
Love the author beautiful. Book!
Janet
Plantation Trilogy
Mary
Loved it!
Sharon Smartt
Sharon Smartt marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Debbi Muir
Debbi Muir marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Deborah Kosina
Deborah Kosina marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Dorothea
Dorothea marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Lyla82
Lyla82 marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2014
Kandis
Kandis marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Bella Mason
Bella Mason is currently reading it
Aug 06, 2014
Patty
Patty marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Love and Mary Ann
  • Pioneer, Go Home!
  • Csardas
  • Something Borrowed, Something Blue
  • Das Spiel der Könige (Waringham, #3)
  • Winona's Pony Cart (Deep Valley, #3)
  • Now I'll Tell You Everything (Alice, #25)
  • The Darkangel Trilogy
  • Son of a Hundred Kings
  • This Other Eden (Eden, #1)
  • Nethergate
  • Rhinegold
  • Shadow of the King (Pendragon's Banner Trilogy, #3)
American author and journalist. She studied at Columbia University and afterwards wrote for a number of literary magazines and journals. Eventually she moved to New Orleans, and worked at the Times-Picayune. She became interested in longer forms of writing—novels and short stories—through her husband, screenwriter Bruce Manning, and published her first novel in 1929.

Bristow reached the pinnacle o
More about Gwen Bristow...
Jubilee Trail Celia Garth Calico Palace Deep Summer (Plantation Trilogy, #1) The Handsome Road (Plantation Trilogy, #2)