EatingWell Comfort Foods Made Healthy: The Classic Makeovers Cookbook

EatingWell Comfort Foods Made Healthy: The Classic Makeovers Cookbook

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  42 ratings  ·  9 reviews
For 18 years EatingWell Magazine has been known for taking favorite classic recipes and making them healthier by using simple steps, handy ingredients, and strict nutritional guidelines. Now the experts at EatingWell have compiled nearly 200 healthy, easy recipes, as well as cooking and shopping tips and nutrition advice, in this exciting cookbook.

Full nutritional analysis...more
Published November 17th 2008 by Countryman Press (first published November 3rd 2008)

Dixie Diamond
This is a great compromise between making familiar foods less unhealthy, and still using most of the same ingredients so you don't feel like you've thrown in the towel on your old favorites.

It's not a quick and easy cookbook, although the recipes are not needlessly complex. They're just reasonable adaptations of the originals: Pan-frying and then finishing in the oven instead of deep-frying, for instance. They don't resort to a lot of obscure ingredients or weird, unsatisfying, substitutions. Ev...more
Sharon
I have thumbed through this once (got it today!) and have added items to my grocery list for tomorrow to make some mac & cheese.
I have made a few of the recipes and they are really good. Some are quite involved but that is the difference between healthy homemade food and easy processed foods.
My favorites are mac & cheese (I prefer it without the spinach), green bean casserole (SO much better than the canned soup variety) & chicken pot pie.
By the way, you can many of the recipes on th...more
Gloriavirtutisumbra
I was just glancing through this one, and i found several things id like to try after all! Now to figure out how to make a gluten free bread that wont ruin their healthy version of a Monte Cristo sandwich... with grape jelly of course... now we're talkin' comfort food!
Gwen
Most of the recipes are under 500 calories, and many are under 350! Some of my faves are chicken pot pie, lasagna, and cornbread stuffing. There's makeovers for traditional Thanksgiving and Christmas recipes, too. Overall, two thumbs up!
Cheri
I am still looking this one over, my family is very picky and it is hard to find recipes that everyone in the family would enjoy.
Arapahoe Library District
How to eat comfort foods without worrying (as much) about your health.
Stephanie
Hopefully this will get me back on track this winter.
Becky H.
Lots of lovely pictures and fun recipes to try.
Marcella
Some really Good Regular Recipes
Cathy
Cathy added it
Nov 03, 2013
Dianne
Dianne marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2013
Jaymie
Jaymie marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2013
Cambrie Padilla
Cambrie Padilla marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2013
Matt
Matt added it
Feb 12, 2013
Seeta
Seeta marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2013
Jorge
Jorge marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2013
Jorge
Jorge marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2013
Sreevidhya
Sreevidhya marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
The Simple Art of EatingWell: 400 Easy Recipes, Tips and Techniques for Delicious, Healthy Meals: 400 Easy Recipes, Tips and Techniques for Delicious, Healthy Meals EatingWell in Season: The Farmers' Market Cookbook EatingWell on a Budget EatingWell One-Pot Meals EatingWell Fast & Flavorful Meatless Meals: 150 Healthy Recipes Everyone Will Love (EatingWell)