The Folk of the Faraway Tree (The Faraway Tree, #3)

The Folk of the Faraway Tree (The Faraway Tree #3)

4.31 of 5 stars 4.31  ·  rating details  ·  7,128 ratings  ·  91 reviews
"A land at the top of a tree!" said Connie. "I don't believe a word of it."

Jo, Bessie and Fanny are fed up when Connie comes to stay - she's so stuck-up and bossy. But they don't let her stop them having fun with their tree-friends, Silky, Moon-Face and the Saucepan Man. Together they climb through the cloud at the top of the Faraway Tree and visit the wonderful places the...more
Published November 5th 1997 by Egmont (first published 1946)

Five on a Treasure Island by Enid BlytonFive on Kirrin Island Again by Enid BlytonFive Get Into Trouble by Enid BlytonFive Go to Smuggler's Top by Enid BlytonThird Year at Malory Towers by Enid Blyton
BEST BOOKS OF ENID BLYTON!
16th out of 63 books — 108 voters
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingLittle House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls WilderCharlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisTwilight by Stephenie Meyer
What Book Got You Hooked?
368th out of 2,694 books — 7,452 voters

More lists with this book...

Kirsti
I was seven years old when I was shepherded into Mrs Hazard's class, deemed stupid and unwilling to learn by my teachers of the previous years. I had spent kindergarten a scared, confused child, who couldn't focus on the words on the board in front of me. Year One had been the same; why was everyone else reading and writing and I couldn't grasp it? But here was a gentle woman, who smiled down on us and said that we were going to read a story. I was bored. I knew I wouldn't be able to follow the...more
Aimi
Jul 30, 2013 Aimi rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone with a young heart
Recommended to Aimi by: Dad
This is one of my most favourite/cherished books of all time. My dad read this to me when he tucked me into bed. Fortunately my Dad is from England so I don't have the lousy American version. I couldn't find the cover of it on here! How sad! Anyway, this book is full of enchantment and wonders. It's about this village that exists in a tree and all of the weird creatures that live there. Some near by children befriend them and join them on their many adventures. I always thought that was the cool...more
Robin
Oct 30, 2007 Robin rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: juvie
I was lucky enough to read my sisters' copy that wasn't americanized. I hate it that in the newer versions, Dame Slap was scaled down to pracically nothing! They should have left the kids' names alone too. What is wrong with having a girl named Fanny? There ought to be a law against these things.
David Sarkies
It seems that there was a lot of controversy connected to some of Enid Blyton's books to the point that some libraries were inclined not to stock them. One of the issues was her use of volcabulary, or lack of, but these are children's books so I do not understand why people would be so critical of a restricted vocab. In a way children are not expected to understand words like eclectic and in a way having a limited vocabulary, I believe, can be a useful tool in enabling children to begin to read...more
Emily
What an exciting read for big imaginations!

The Folk of the Faraway Tree is an Enid Blyton tale, following the adventures of four children in a magical woods. At the heart of the woods is an enchanted tree which is the home of some intriguing characters and mysterious lands. The children soon explore the tree and it's inhabitants and adventure quickly unfolds.

It appears clear that the author intended to captivate the imaginations of young children with this book. As I child, I can remember read...more
Alana
So according to others' reviews this is the dumb American version. I grew up reading and loving the original amazing English version. My Baba would read it to me and my sister every night before bed, and each time we got to the end we'd start over again. I've carried it around with me since my childhood as a relic of my past. This weekend was my first time revisiting it as an adult, and I swear I remember there being more pictures, but I guess I just had a very active imagination. This book is f...more
Marilee
Good times. I just finished reading this to my boys. I can't count how many times we laughed out loud. We love the characters, and they have wormed their way into our everyday language - like if someone doesn't hear something right, we call them Saucepan Man. I can see why the Faraway Tree is so loved. I want to try pop cakes and google buns, I want to ride down the slippery slip on a cushy pillow and I want to knit the red squirrel a sweater. Fun book.
Kirstin Kemppainen
This was my absolute favorite book when I was a child. My dad was forced to read it to me at least once a week. It's an enchanting story of four kids who climb a magical tree to find all of the nursery rhyme characters. It is quite a long picture book, with several chapters. But it is worth the read and I will definitely be sharing this story with my future classroom.
Portia S
The last installment to the Faraway series! I loved it, absolutely, one of the childhood favourites of mine when I was eight. I gobbled this up so quickly! I remember wanting to climb trees in England be able to find a world of my own sigh. :) I loved how we had a non-believer among us in this book, and how she got what was coming to her pompous ass.
Tracey King
Having read 'The Magic Faraway Tree' I was interested to find out what other adventures the children could get into. Me and my daughter enjoyed reading about the different lands that arrive at the top of the tree. It made me think what land it would be next?
A very enjoyable book and lovely to read to a child.
Marcy
At least now I know what Enid Blyton's writing is like. I'm still not clear why she's so popular. Sure she is imaginative and fun, but there are so many other writers who I think execute imagination and excellent prose at the same time.
Deepti
Probably my most favourite childhood book ever, from my favourite Enid Blyton series (apart from Noddy). I plan to get my own child to read this series one day. No kid of mine is growing up without Enid Blyton!
I own two copies of this book as the first became so worn out I had to replace it. This is something that every child should read or have read to them.
Lynley
Having this yearread the first two in the series and dishing out five stars, I have to admit to myself that despite everything – the imagination, the perfect pacing, the innate sense of what will appeal to children – this series has not dated well, and that this book,the third in the series, has aged the worst.

In the previous book cousin Dick came to stay – a greedy, hapless but lovable boy – my daughter enjoyed Dick'scharacter more than the others. This time we have ‘Curious Connie’, a ‘spoilt...more
Wanda
One of my favorite genres is Children's literature. More precisely, I do so enjoy the classic authors from the past. Enid Blyton was a British author who wrote over 800(yes, 800) children's books in her career that spanned the 1940's-1960's. Books written in this time era are not only delightful stories but are also a window to the world of children at that time.

I chose the trilogy of the Magic Faraway Tree. In this series the three young brother and sisters and various cousins and friends beco...more
Natalie
This is one of my most loved books! I adore it with so much of my heart, it was a book I read several times during my childhood and will continue to read the same worn out copy I cherish so dearly. It holds so many memories of my childhood, and if I could meet Enid Blyton I will be sure to thank her more than is possible for creating such a perfect book. I have no bad things to say about this amazing story, it holds a very special place in my heart.
Zainab
(the folk of the faraway tree) is an amazing story , I had fun reading it because its really easy to read , for me , it's a really good book to teach the kids the right from the wrong, to teach them that bad habits have Consequences , friends are so important , because they are always there for you when you need them , going through hard experiences is really good , because you learn from them , and never do the same mistake you did in the first experience , actually the thing that made me buy i...more
Socialbookshelves.com
The Folk of the Faraway Tree is the third book in Enid Blyton's Faraway Tree series, and it sees the return of Jo, Bessie and Fanny as they introduce Connie, their mother's friend's daughter, to their friends on the Faraway Tree.

Connie is, quite frankly, annoying - for a start, she doesn't believe that the Faraway Tree exists, although she quickly changes her mind once she begins to experience the weird lands that dwell through a hole in the clouds. She's also nosy and prone to snooping, all qua...more
Jamie
I loved these stories when I was a kid, so re-reading them was fun:)

Three children move to the country side and in a forest near their new home they find a magic tree, where lots of magical folks live, pixies, fairies and a saucepan man. The animals and trees can talk and at the very top of the tree a new magic land visits every few days.
Susan Eyre
This book was given to me when I was seven by my English grandfather. It was one of the first gifts he had ever given me. The tome was very old and worn, and he told me that it was his favorite book when he was a boy. I took it and determined to read it quickly, for his sake.

I was quickly enchanted. The characters of Saucepan, Silky, Bessie, and even Connie captivated my young self and kept me giggling. As the children and their friends venture from one world to the next, they learn valuable lif...more
Ramya
Loved, loved, loved this series as a child and oh so wanted to find that magic tree to climb into a magical world, make new friends, and eat strange melt in your mouth popping candy to odd treacle puddings! A veritable feast for the enchanted, magical- thinking mind of a grade schooler!
Kasturi
It is an enchanting story. .The little children save the Faraway tree.The folks moonface ,saucepan man silky, whatzisname are really very nice.Sure to like them.But must be careful about damewashalot pouring water that flows down the tree.this is really a great story.Enjoy it.
astried
the walk down memory lane worked better with this one. though of course it's a sticky sweet story, it's blyton after all.
Louise Armstrong
I remember loving this book, but I read it again to check it was suitable before giving it to a modern child - and I enjoyed it so much! Fast moving, delightful fantasy, clearly written and loads of fun.

The morals are a bit obvious, but wholesome enough: work hard, help your friends, don't poke and pry, being rude will get you into trouble.

I would try this book on reluctant readers. Also very good to read aloud. Can you hear the rhythm?

'There came a scamper of feet, and then the door opened a ti...more
Akanksha Rai
have some great vivid memories! I still remember diving my head into the book at the corner of my room
Rina
Jun 11, 2014 Rina added it
Maha
Sushmitha
Insane !!! But, so are many children books ! Not enjoyed much reading this one though.
Kitty Atienza
Jo Bessie and Fanny with their cousin, stuck up Connie
Liz Barr
This wasn't a favourite even when I was in the target age group -- I adored Blyton's mysteries and boarding school novels, but her fantasies were always a bit too twee for my taste. (Not that I knew the word "twee".)

But apparently I'm nostalgic enough to be slightly outraged that new editions changed the names of Fanny and Dick. Sure, primary school teachers around the world are no longer being deafened by the sniggering of young 'uns, but you're never too young to learn that language changes,...more
  • The Complete Adventures of Snugglepot and Cuddlepie
  • Blinky Bill
  • Hairy Maclary from Donaldson's Dairy
  • The Worst Witch (Worst Witch, #1)
  • Meg and Mog
  • Possum Magic
  • The Animals of Farthing Wood (Farthing Wood, #1)
  • The Demon Headmaster
  • Dogger
  • Wombat Stew
  • Burglar Bill
  • Dirty Beasts
  • Finders Keepers (Finders Keepers, #1)
  • The Muddle-Headed Wombat
  • The Tailor of Gloucester
  • The Tiger Who Came to Tea
  • Where the Forest Meets the Sea
  • Goodbye Malory Towers (Malory Towers, #12)
Born in 1897 in South London, Enid Mary Blyton was the eldest of three children, and showed an early interest in music and reading. She was educated at St. Christopher's School, Beckenham, and - having decided not to pursue her music - at Ipswich High School, where she trained as a kindergarten teacher. She taught for five years before her 1924 marriage to editor Hugh Pollock, with whom she had tw...more
More about Enid Blyton...
The Magic Faraway Tree (The Faraway Tree, #2) The Enchanted Wood (The Faraway Tree, #1) Five on a Treasure Island (Famous Five, #1) The Faraway Tree Stories (The Faraway Tree #1-3) Five Run Away Together (Famous Five, #3)

“I don't believe in things like that - fairies or brownies or magic or anything. It's old-fashioned.'
'Well, we must be jolly old-fashioned then,' said Bessie. 'Because we not only believe in the Faraway Tree and love our funny friends there, but we go to see them too - and we visit the lands at the top of the Tree as well!”
57 likes