Start by marking “The Letter To The Ephesians” as Want to Read:
The Letter To The Ephesians

The Letter To The Ephesians (Pillar New Testament Commentary)

4.47 of 5 stars 4.47  ·  rating details  ·  189 ratings  ·  13 reviews
From a foremost authority on the New Testament comes a major new commentary on Ephesians--a letter of truth, love, and unity to our superficial world.

This newest volume in the PILLAR NEW TESTAMENT SERIES provides a rich exposition of Ephesians, one of the most significant documents ever written. Using the fruits of recent biblical research, Peter O'Brien shows how Ephesian

Published November 19th 1999 by William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company (first published October 25th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Letter To The Ephesians, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Letter To The Ephesians

Josh Pannell
Good commentary. A few weird views. Incredible defense of Pauline authorship.

In his explanation of chapter one verse three he does a good job explaining the theme of “in the heavenly realms.” This helped my understanding of the idea which is mentioned throughout the book. In verse four he takes “in love” to be connected to “holy and blameless.” However, he doesn’t argue for it very well. Because of this he sees love as part of the mission of the predestination of the Father. He interprets the te
In yet another excellent commentary to add to The Pillar New Testament Commentary series by Eerdmans we have a work that is scholarly and thoroughly evangelical. You will find it a challenge to find a better work on Ephesians!

The author, O'Brien is senior research fellow in New Testament at Moore Theological College in Sydney, Australia. He is well-known for his major biblical commentaries, including this particular one on The Letter to the Ephesians, and several publications on the subject of
Joe Haack
Pound for pound, the most helpful commentary I had during my sermon preparation.
I didn't read every bit of this but I read a good chunk of it. Left off the last two chapters of Ephesians which is a good chunk itself. ---

This is an academic commentary and therefore the style is predictably boring. With that said, the exegesis in this book is masterful. I say this without being a scholar, but from my viewpoint, O'Brien has thought long and hard about what he is writing.

The book has clarified Paul's letter to the Ephesians for me in especially one way, which is connecting the
Degelijk evangelicaal commentaar op Efeze. Met genoegen gebruikt bij de preekvoorbereiding
I read this while leading a 12 week Bible study of the book of Ephesians. It's a great commentary in every way. I'm going to again use this commentary series for the next study I teach (I first discovered the series when teaching the book of James). I especially loved how the author addressed Ephesians 4:9-10. He equally presents the most popular views in Christendom. Also, he eloquently argues to support his position.
Rick Dobrowolski
Peter O'Brien's commentary on Ephesians delves into the Greek of the passage but does not get bogged down in nuances and debates. I have found his commentary to be very engaging and practically oriented, as well as theological sound.
Best commentary I know on Ephesians!
Easy to work with compared to the more technical commentary series', the Pillar commentary remains informative for the lay person.
Bauer Evans
Jul 11, 2013 Bauer Evans rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Pastors
Recommended to Bauer by: Jeff Purswell
"Pound for pound' my best commentary on Paul's letter to Ephesians. O'Brien is a master scholar, writer, pastor-exegete.
Read 75-80% while preaching through Ephesians - the best commentary on Ephesians, IMO.
Marshall Walter
Peter O'Brien is great - I've yet to find a book of his that I don't like.
Galyn Wiemers
Reference book used to teach through the book of Ephesians
Jonny added it
Oct 22, 2015
Kenesa marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2015
Marie GrahamQuick
Marie GrahamQuick marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2015
Rich marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2015
Clint is currently reading it
Sep 25, 2015
  • The Letter of James
  • The Gospel According to John
  • Romans
  • The First Epistle to the Corinthians
  • The Epistle to the Hebrews
  • The Book Of Revelation: A Commentary on the Greek Text (NIGTC)
  • The Gospel According to John, Revised
  • The Message of Ephesians (Bible Speaks Today NT)
  • Leviticus
  • Genesis 1-15 (Word Biblical Commentary #1)
  • The Book of Revelation, Revised
  • 1 Peter (Tyndale New Testament Commentaries)
  • Luke
  • The Gospel of Matthew
  • The Gospel of Luke
  • Stories with Intent: A Comprehensive Guide to the Parables of Jesus
  • Psalms 73-150
O'Brien is senior research fellow in New Testament at Moore Theological College in Sydney, Australia. He is well-known for his major biblical commentaries, including The Letter to the Ephesians (Apollos), and several publications on the subject of mission.
More about Peter T. O'Brien...

Pillar New Testament Commentary (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Gospel According to Matthew
  • The Gospel According to Mark
  • The Gospel According to John
  • The Acts of the Apostles
  • Paul's Letter to the Romans (Pillar New Testament Commentary)
  • The First Letter to the Corinthians