Start by marking “The Open Secret” as Want to Read:
The Open Secret

The Open Secret

Throughout my early life I felt that there was another possibility which, once realised, would transform all and everything. One day that possibility became a reality, and it was simple and ordinary, magnificent and revolutionary. It is the open secret that reveals itself in every part of our lives. But realisation does not emerge through our attempts to change our lives, ...more
Published September 1st 2008 by Open Secret Publishing (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Open Secret, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Open Secret

Natasha (Diarist) Holme
Mar 30, 2014 Natasha (Diarist) Holme rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People who have had enough of trying to get somewhere
The Open Secret is a short book about non-duality, as directly experienced by the author. He attempts to explain the inexplicable. Like Parsons says, it's like trying to give someone the taste of a food by giving them the recipe.

There is nothing we can do to experience non-duality. It is beyond effort and time. There is nothing we can do to effect any positivity in our lives for everything apparently positive brings with it its opposite, so every effort we make is neutral.

"Life is not a task. Th
William Arsenis
Mar 11, 2013 William Arsenis rated it liked it
It's almost impossible to write about non-dualism, since words are in their very nature dualistic.

I read books like this with the hopes of experiencing a shift in perspective deep enough to cause a shift in consciousness.

That did not occur.

I found myself straining to understand and unravel meaning from some of his paragraphs.

It is a very short book—likely the shortest book I’ve ever read at a mere forty-five pages—and that would be fine if the content had been of the caliber required to justify
Marilyn
Brilliant!
Hidden Projection
May 06, 2016 Hidden Projection rated it liked it
Shelves: advaita
This was a very enjoyable, albeit short read dealing with the concepts of Nonduality. The author, Tony Parsons explains the experiences involved with his awakening. Whereas there wasn't much by way of process or methodology presented, the concepts were driven home in an whole state. Nonduality is a heavy subject and Parsons doesn't hold back on presenting the stage of Oneness as all there really is. He takes a couple cheap jabs at Ram Dass too, worth the smile.
Martin Gommel
Jan 23, 2014 Martin Gommel rated it it was amazing
It's a good read, sometimes a bit „too much“ („there is no person“), but a good start into non-duality.
Adil
May 31, 2012 Adil rated it it was amazing
A short but superbly lucid, clear, and direct account of nonduality. No non-sense, no religious or esoteric terms, no complicated philosophizing... Just the heart of the matter. One of the best I've ever seen. I would highly recommend this to all the world's inhabitants.
Nebojsa Beat
Mar 17, 2012 Nebojsa Beat rated it liked it
Very simple book with some honest words from Parsons. Nothing new and special, but these few words can be comforting if you are somewhere lost in "spiritual path". :)
Jos Ariens
Jos Ariens rated it it was amazing
Sep 14, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
Emily Z
Emily Z marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2016
Aubrey
Aubrey is currently reading it
Jul 20, 2016
Rose
Rose added it
Jul 15, 2016
Chris
Chris is currently reading it
Jun 25, 2016
Ashok
Ashok rated it liked it
Jun 23, 2016
Martin Iliffe
Martin Iliffe marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
Ophelia
Ophelia marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Mick Brennan
Mick Brennan marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
Claire Hutchinson
Claire Hutchinson marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
graham stew
graham stew rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2016
Stef Helder
Stef Helder rated it it was amazing
May 03, 2016
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Angelika Yelapaangel
Angelika Yelapaangel rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2016
Fouad
Fouad marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2016
Susan Barlow
Susan Barlow rated it it was amazing
Mar 11, 2016
Tristan
Tristan marked it as to-read
Feb 29, 2016
Kim Dejbjerg
Kim Dejbjerg marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2016
Andrew Michaels
Andrew Michaels marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
Maha
Maha marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2016
Paul White
Paul White marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
American writer on new age spirituality.

There is more than one author in the Goodreads database with this name.
More about Tony Parsons...