Start by marking “L'oublie: Roman” as Want to Read:
L'oublie: Roman

Elie Wiesel

L'oublie: Roman

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  365 ratings  ·  25 reviews
A profoundly moving novel about a Holocaust survivor's struggle to remember both the heroic and the shameful events of his past, and about his American-born son's need to assimilate his father's life into his own. "A book of shattering force that offers a message of urgency to a world under the spell of trivia and the tyranny of amnesia."--Chicago Tribune Book World.
Unknown Binding, 317 pages
Published 1989 by Seuil

To ask other readers questions about L'oublie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about L'oublie

Timothy McCluskey
Wiesel reminds us what can happen if we refuse to come to terms with our past. It is a good book to refer to when listening to Cheney, Obama, and pundits claim that we must move forward. One cannot move forward by not holding ourselves accountable for our past. As painful as it might be we must have an accounting.
liz
Almost like across between Milan Kundera and Jonathan Safran-Foer. Thematically interested in exile, exiles; with a little bit of that Jewish magical realism thrown in. (My apologies, I read it forever ago).

The truth was that Malkiel's father had never known any woman but his own wife. A matter of fidelity? Not even that: only love. Which write said that you could love two women but you could only be faithful to one? Malkiel's father might have known an occasional surge of love, but he had loved
Ivy
I love books about the Holocaust, but this one was different than most of the ones I have read. This novel is about a man who is losing his memory to Alzheimers and sends his journalist son back to Eastern Europe to uncover his haunted past. For Elhanan, remembering the horrors of the past is the way to honor the victims of the blackest period in history. As his mind desintegrates he falls further and further into depression because he feels he is nothing without his memories. As means of preser ...more
Melissa
Borrowing from the library

I lied I didn't read this...or I did, just haven't been able to finish this novel. I loved Day, Dawn and Night but this book was just really hard to get into. I am a little disappointed. I have kept this book for about 3 weeks now, and I have finally faced the fact I will not be finishing it! Sorry Mr. Wiesel, I tried.
Jillian
I liked it. I think he is a great writer and has quite a story to tell. Obviously pretty depressing, but I love that in a book. It was great to see people fight back against the Nazis because for some reason I feel like we don't hear or read about that as much as we should.
cindy sisson
A lyrical weaving of a father's experience in World War II, his global decline, and the need his son has to know his father, and recreate his past. Haunting, relevant.
Evelyn
So I'll be honest, I didn't finish the book. I just couldn't get into it. Maybe I'm too mom-brained.
Debra
there is nothing new I could ever find to say about any of Wiesel's works. Each one is epic.
Sara
Hauntingly beautiful and terrifying. This is one of my must-read books. Highly recommend!
Yifot
I cannot 'rate' a holocaust novel, fictitious or true... impossible
Maya
Gripping and really unforgettable.
Doug
Elie Wiesel has provided a title with a double meaning. The surface reference of “The Forgotten” is to the memories of holocaust survivor Elhanan Rosenbaum, the aging father of the story’s protagonist, Malkiel. But Wiesel’s ultimate concern is the memories of the people and culture of the Eastern European shtetls that were vaporized by the holocaust. In today’s assimilative world, Wiesel is concerned with remembering what it is to be a Jew. While the storyline follows (compellingly) Malkiel’s qu ...more
Bryan
Here is "Ivy's" review that I copied and am pasting here. I agree with her analysis of the book.
"I love books about the Holocaust, but this one was different than most of the ones I have read. This novel is about a man who is losing his memory to Alzheimers and sends his journalist son back to Eastern Europe to uncover his haunted past. For Elhanan, remembering the horrors of the past is the way to honor the victims of the blackest period in history. As his mind desintegrates he falls further a
Sheri
This is a good solid book. It is lagging at times and vague at times (both of which might be requirements for me to all a book solid). As Malkiel works through his father's past he discovers things about himself and his own life as well as his history as a descendant of a Holocaust survivor.

Elhanen is a unique character in that he only desires to tell his son (and by extension the reader) his story because he is going to lose it. He is not a sappy character reminiscing through bitterness or a de
Hannah Schmidt
Elie Wiesel is proved yet again to be a master in his art. Although this lone book tended to be a harder read than Wiesel's famous trilogy, I enjoyed it far more. The novel explores both the holocaust experiences of the aging father, Mr. Rosenbaum, and his much newer struggle with losing these memories. Both are intensely moving, whether seen through his own eyes, or those of his son struggling to fulfill the trying obligation of traveling to Elhanan's childhood village in Romania. Although Mr. ...more
Julie Teal
Deep. Stopping to think between the lines is a must in this thoughtful novel. Four stars instead of five because of the difficulty I had in following the story, but overall I liked it.
Krysten Gorrivan
The topic and style of writing of this book were so deep and intense. It was hard to put it down, but then it took me some time to be able to read another book. Excellent!
Francie
This was an intense book. I was fascinated by the way Wiesel explored the experience of Alzheimer's and how it affects not just the person with Alzheimer's but their family as well. The story of the father's wartime experiences was heartbreaking.
Ninamarie
powerful - required reading for anyone having a parent or loved one with alzheimers, or for those with Jewish parents/father, recommended for all who have parents
Jen
Really had a hard time getting through this one. Had a lot of lagging parts. Perhaps it was just hard that the Alzheimer's hit a little too close to home.
Velvetink
""The goal of redemption is the redemption of truth" ~ ?from the Ganon Reb Eliahu of Vilna"" p.235.

10 cent score
Carol
I will never think of Alzheimer's in quite the same way. An important reflection on generations and what we remember.
The story itself was okay but I just couldn't seem to get into the writing style of this one.
Sarah Hoppe
Sarah Hoppe marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Mathilde Barbier
Mathilde Barbier marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Chelsey Winstead
Chelsey Winstead marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
  • Hannah Senesh, Her Life and Diary
  • Moments of Reprieve (Penguin Modern Classics)
  • Daughters of Absence: Transforming a Legacy of Loss
  • The Conjurer
  • The Diary of Dawid Sierakowiak: Five Notebooks from the Lodz Ghetto
  • Killing Spree
  • From the Ashes of Sobibor: A Story of Survival
  • Death at Sandringham House (Her Majesty Investigates #2)
  • At the Mind's Limits: Contemplations by a Survivor on Auschwitz and Its Realities
  • Europa, Europa
  • Little Saigon
  • Belonging
  • I Was A Doctor In Auschwitz
  • The Avengers: A Jewish War Story
Eliezer Wiesel is a Romania-born American novelist, political activist, and Holocaust survivor of Hungarian Jewish descent. He is the author of over 40 books, the best known of which is Night, a memoir that describes his experiences during the Holocaust and his imprisonment in several concentration camps.

Wiesel was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1986. The Norwegian Nobel Committee called him a "
More about Elie Wiesel...
Night (The Night Trilogy, #1) Dawn (The Night Trilogy, #2) Day (The Night Trilogy, #3) The Night Trilogy: Night/Dawn/The Accident All Rivers Run to the Sea