Start by marking “The Good Children” as Want to Read:
The Good Children

The Good Children

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  511 ratings  ·  84 reviews
A superb story of death, love and deception. -- starred, "Library Journal"
A wrenching masterpiece about love, loyalty, and lies that will lodge itself in readers' psyches long after they've finished the last, stunning chapter. -- starred, "Booklist"
When they move to a new home in Oregon, the McNair family know they're where they belong. But when tragedy strikes the famil
Mass Market Paperback, 272 pages
Published March 1st 1999 by Fawcett (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Good Children, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Good Children

Beth
The four McNair children have spent most of their childhood moving around (father’s job). Ironically, just as they settle in rural Oregon, their father dies and soon after that, their mother does as well. Educated from the cradle to distrust the social services system, the children (eldest almost 16) decide to bury their mother and go it on their own. With the help of a young and sympathetic lawyer (who doesn’t know their secret) we follow them through the next eight years of their lives. Excell ...more
Sandy Gamradt
This book ended too soon, I wanted more! I wanted to know what happened to the children after they grew up. This was a book I didn't want to put down!
Kathleen Hagen
reasonably well for a few years, but then the children are getting older. Kevin and Amy both have ambitious college plans. They would like to sell the house and settle the two younger children, Liz and Brian, somewhere so they can go on with their lives. But Liz and Brian remain in the house. Then some terrifying things take place bringing them closer to the truth about their mother’s death. But will the truth set them free, or bind them together forever? Very good book. Carrington MacDuffie is ...more
Perry Whitford
The four McNair children had grown up friendless and on the move, their father's job taking them from state to state and their mother's innate mistrust keeping them wary of outsiders. Then one day they finally settle down for good in an isolated country house in Oregon.

But due to twin catastrophes they lose both parents one after the other and are suddenly left orphans. Their father died at work, their mother at home, and influenced by her mistrust of state institutions after the example of her
Barbara Boudreau
I loved this book! I listened to the audio book while driving, and literally would sit int he car when I got home to finish the chapters. The book really hooked you in - was written in a style that was believable for the age of the writer, kept your interest. It was believable because the story centered around siblings taking care of each other, and the deep dark secrets that siblings can keep with each other. Great read.
Peg
This is my first Kate Wilhelm and one of her older ones, but several heart pumping times in this story. Maybe a little far fetched but that's what a "suspense novel" is all about, right?
Vannessagrace Vannessagrace
With their parents dead and gone, their father killed on his job and their mother dead from what was believed to be a broken heart, the McNair children, Kevin, age 18, Amy age 17, Liz, age 14, and Brian, age 9, all underage when their mother died, raised themselves honoring the promise they made to their mother to never have a funeral or a repast after her death. When their mother died, the Children buried her in the backyard.

Kevin and Amy now old enough to go off to college and with thoughts o
Juushika
After spending their whole live on the move, the McNair family has finally settled down in an Oregon cabin and life is good--until both parents die. Afraid of being split apart in foster care, the four McNair children try to hold their family together themselves, but they are haunted by the memory of their mother. The Good Children has an intriguing, if cliché, premise, and it's easy to consume, but the writing is unremarkable and the book is entirely immemorable. There's no harm in reading it b ...more
Qboudica
I thought there'd be no way these kids could do what they did until I read the book & saw it really could be possible. If I'm remembering correctly it had a fairly good outcome all things considered too, which made it more enjoyable. Not that it was a "happy book", but rather I mean it was a good read.
Joi
This book was so good. I enjoyed it so much ... I didn't expect to. I listened to it on audio and at first the voice sounded so creepy but I eventually got used to it. I enjoyed this book immensely. I didn't fall in love with it, which is why it's only a 4 star but I do recommend it to others.
Cara Correll
This book has so many mysterious moments in it that it will be sure to keep you wondering how the next page will change your feelings. It really plays with your emotions for each character and how they are feeling. A great suspense filled read.
Ina
I enjoy books from this author very much and listen to the books while working. this is an older book and not as progressed as the newer books.
Shelby
A very interesting read about loyalty love and family. Fairly suspenseful throughout until you reach a bit of a fizzle at the end.
Louise
Another old (1990s) novel I discovered by Kate Wilhelm. She is an excellent writer - have yet to find something of hers I don't like!
Jenna Glading-razeghi
Really interesting story line. I was not sure I would like this but the story was interesting and held my attention throughout.
SassieFrassie
This is a difficult book to rate. I have listened to other works by Wilhelm and was expecting more of a traditional mystery or suspense novel (I hate to use the word thriller). It was ultimately impossible to suspend disbelief. The main characters were able to successfully executive every scheme they devised to keep their family together. However, it was refreshing that there were serious consequences to their actions. I think that the philosophical elements were intended to be thought-provoking ...more
Nancy
This was a stand-alone novel written by one of my favorite authors, Kate Wilhelm. I've read an entire courtroom/mystery drama series and a Hugo Award winning science fiction novel by her. This was an entirely different type of book (realistic fiction), and I was, again, impressed by her abilities that include writing in a variety of genres. In some ways, this book is slightly reminiscent of *Flowers in the Attic* (but not really). It has a leisurely pace with lots of psychological development of ...more
Kendra
Interesting and different. I had no idea what to expect from this novel…I was actually expecting some type of legal thriller but I was way off base. This quick and easy read is actually a personal tale about a family, specifically the four children. Kevin, Amy, Liz, and Brian all must deal with life after tragedy tears apart their family. I enjoyed the story and read it within two days but I have to say that I kept expecting something more. I kept waiting for an event that never really happened. ...more
Jen
the story of a family that moved to rural Oregon. Shortly after they moved in, the father dies and the family is distraught. The mother goes into shock and the kids have to do a lot to care for themselves. One day they return from school to find their mom dead also and they don’t want to be split up by the state so they band together to live the lie that their mom is still alive. After many years of deceit they finally have to unravel the lies and make things right again. I really enjoyed the st ...more
Jeanne
Four children (11–17) are left alone in the world after their parents have died. Though their father has provided a trust for them, they are all afraid of being separated and put into abusive orphanages (as their mother had been). So the children live out the deception that they have a mother until they all come of age and live on their own, but they hide a really big secret. The book is filled with love, care and ingenuity, and a very nice story.
Jill
Sometimes I find Kate Wilhelm's books a liittle dry for me, but this one was pretty good. It was interesting to see how the toll of losing both parents at young age. I have to say that for three of four children it was hard, but they accepted it. Execept for the youngest McNair child, who defintely made this book interesting with a ghost story feel. Also, I liked the emphasis of family to the plotline which at time also created tensions.
Sophia Musgrave
Creepy but a really good story! Four siblings cover up a horrible accident then have to live with the consequences years later, causing the youngest to suffer the most. With lies and deception, it pulls them together even tighter as a family but creates unhealthy environment and they all suffer to some extent. I think it was a bit scarier than any of her other books I have read, psychological thriller yet a bit ghost story thrown in too.
Well, a gothic tale about insular children living on their own without parents SOUNDED good. It just didn't come together for me, somehow. I don't know. Not enough tension, the ending was a major letdown, and I just didn't buy it, basically. I wouldn't have finished (I'm such a quitter if I don't love a book) except it's a quick, short read, and I hoped there might be a crazy ending to make it worth it. No such luck.
Andrew Donager
I didn't know what to think of this book at first, which direction it was going in. As I was reading it, I found that the story itself didn't at all seem that realistic. I don't know how three teenage kids can go 3 years without knowing there mother is dead. Breaking someone out of a mental hospital...ummmm yeah don't think so. But I did enjoy reading the book and kept me interested, therefor 3 out of 5.
Jeanne
Nicely written. I liked how I thought I knew what happened, but it didn't work out quite that way. Strong main characters, interesting story (though it takes a lot of setting up to make it believable). Four children stick together after the death of their parents by pretending their mother is still alive. As the years pass, however, the repercussions of their decisions comes back to haunt them.
Jenni
Why do I keep reading Kate Wilhelm just to be disappointed? The premise of her books always looks good to me, but the execution always lets me down. I expected a lot from this book and only received a little. It was okay - not bad, but not good. And I had read a review that it was scary - Ha! Not in the least. If you're totally bored with nothing else to read, it will do.
Deb
After reading several reviews of this book, I was expecting a lot more. The book started out slow. I was finally able to get interested in the characters and what would happen to their lives. There were a few plot twists that seemed unrealistic and/or went nowhere further. Then comes a quick ending and so many unresolved questions about the children's lives and relationships.
Melissa Armato
I absolutely loved this novel! It is about a family desperate to stay together (no matter what) even though tragedy has struck and could separate them. This book is full odds that have to be overcome even if in unethical ways. This is only one of the two Kate Wilhelm novels I have read and I will keep coming back to her as she is genius for psychological fiction.
Jenn
This is touted as a novel of suspense. But I don't really think it was. A little bit of supernatural, an accidental death and some pretty messed up siblings. The story was OK, but I swear it was threatening to turn into a romance type book if it had carried on beyond the end. It was a quick read and while I wasn't disappointed that it ended, it wasn't a terrible story either.
This was an unusual book. Not quite a romance, not really a thriller/mystery, elements of a ghost story but not really. It is an interesting story that just sort of rolls along over five years of the characters lives to the point that the end feels like "oh crap how do I end this?!?"
Good story, likable characters for the most part, just wish it was more solidly in a genre.
  • DN Broadway Bound
  • Deadly Virtues
  • Five Fortunes
  • On My Own: The Art of Being a Woman Alone
  • Don't Make Me Choose Between You and My Shoes (Domestic Equalizers Book 4)
  • The Vanished Child
  • Twice Buried
  • The Fault Tree
  • The Northbury Papers (A Karen Pelletier Mystery #2)
  • The Final Encyclopedia, 2 of 2 (Dorsai/Childe Cycle)
  • Of Blood and Sorrow (Tamara Hayle, #8)
  • Thicker Than Water
  • Deceit
  • Paper Butterfly (A Mei Wang Mystery, #2)
  • The Kind One
  • The Caretaker
  • Sympathy Between Humans (Sarah Pribek #2)
  • Judgment of the Grave
Kate Wilhelm has won the Hugo and several Nebula Awards. She is the widow of author and editor Damon Knight.
More about Kate Wilhelm...
Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang Death Qualified - A Mystery of Chaos (Barbara Holloway #1) The Best Defense (Barbara Holloway #2) The Deepest Water A Wrongful Death (Barbara Holloway #10)