Round the Sofa. Elizabeth Gaskell

Round the Sofa. Elizabeth Gaskell

3.3 of 5 stars 3.30  ·  rating details  ·  20 ratings  ·  3 reviews
The narrator, Miss Greatorex, is invited to join a party of friends who meet on a weekly basis 'round the sofa' in Mrs Dawson's house. When Mrs Dawson mentions her cousin Lady Ludlow, Miss Greatorex wants to find out more about her and the storytelling begins.
Published December 1st 2007 by Nonsuch Publishing (first published 1859)

To ask other readers questions about Round the Sofa. Elizabeth Gaskell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Round the Sofa. Elizabeth Gaskell

Phil Syphe
“Round the Sofa” consists of seven short tales, of which the title story features different characters who relate the other six.

Three of these I’ve read elsewhere, so skipped over them here. A third one was a non-fiction account that didn’t appeal to me, thus I bypassed this one too.

I started three others, all of which I gave up on, as they didn’t hold my attention. They were more like extended rambles, featuring endless description, excessive words, and an overkill of punctuation.

The title sto...more
JoAnn
This book contains some of my favorite Elizabeth Gaskell short stories: "Half A Life-Time Ago," "The Doom of the Griffiths," "The Poor Clare," and "The Half-Brothers." "The Accursed Race" is unique in that it is not fiction, although the history of the Cagot is so incredible I was compelled to Google them for more information.
I was also enthralled by the part of "My Lady Ludlow" that recounted the French aristocratic man who was caught up in the French Revolution. I was nearly brought to tears....more
Amanda
Not Gaskell's best, but there are some really good stories in here. The solo Librivox recording is well read and easy to listen to.
Pearl Read
Pearl Read marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Malak Adny
Malak Adny marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Judy
Judy marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Arielle
Arielle marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Robin
Robin marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Rebecca Silady
Rebecca Silady marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Thuy Ha
Thuy Ha marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Snowballwithahintofjam
Snowballwithahintofjam marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Betsy Trinklein
Betsy Trinklein marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014
Christy Parker
Christy Parker marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
Teresa Da
Teresa Da marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2014
Annelies
Annelies marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2014
Mary Sargent
Mary Sargent marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2014
Kimberly S Wiley
Kimberly S Wiley marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2014
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2013
Kara
Kara marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2013
Dina Branzuela
Dina Branzuela marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Elizabeth Cleghorn Gaskell, née Stevenson (29 September 1810 – 12 November 1865), often referred to simply as Mrs. Gaskell, was an English novelist and short story writer during the Victorian era. She is perhaps best known for her biography of Charlotte Brontë. Her novels offer a detailed portrait of the lives of many strata of society, including the very poor, and as such are of interest to socia...more
More about Elizabeth Gaskell...
North and South Wives and Daughters Cranford Mary Barton The Life of Charlotte Brontë