Start by marking “Round the Sofa” as Want to Read:
Round the Sofa

Round the Sofa

The narrator, Miss Greatorex, is invited to join a party of friends who meet on a weekly basis 'round the sofa' in Mrs Dawson's house. When Mrs Dawson mentions her cousin Lady Ludlow, Miss Greatorex wants to find out more about her and the storytelling begins.
Published December 1st 2007 by Nonsuch Publishing (first published 1859)

To ask other readers questions about Round the Sofa, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Round the Sofa

sabisteb
Feb 20, 2016 sabisteb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hörbücher, classics
„Round the Sofa“ ist eigentlich nur eine Rahmenerzählung, um einige bereits vorher veröffentlichte Kurzgeschichten von Gaskell zu bündeln und in Buchform erneut zu veröffentlichen.
1. Frame Tale: Round the Sofa
Eine nicht näher benannte Ich-Erzählerin (autodiegetic narrator, internal focaliser) wird aufgrund einer Krankheit mit ihrer Gouvernante nach Edinburgh geschickt, damit sie dort bei einem Arzt namens Mr. Dawson, der sich mit ihrer Krankheit auskennt, logiert. In der Zeit soll sie auch Unter
Terri
Oct 14, 2015 Terri rated it liked it
Shelves: listened-to, librivox
Round the Sofa is not really a story. It is a vehicle to contain short stories. The narrator is invited to the home of a sickly invalid for weekly gatherings where each person in the circle takes turns telling a story.

The first short story is "My Lady Ludlow" which I'd already read, but listening to it here gives context to who the narrator is and helps to give context to the story.

The next story is "An Accursed Race" which is really and academic history of a persecuted people called the Cagots.
Phil Syphe
Jul 03, 2014 Phil Syphe rated it liked it
“Round the Sofa” consists of seven short tales, of which the title story features different characters who relate the other six.

Three of these I’ve read elsewhere, so skipped over them here. A third one was a non-fiction account that didn’t appeal to me, thus I bypassed this one too.

I started three others, all of which I gave up on, as they didn’t hold my attention. They were more like extended rambles, featuring endless description, excessive words, and an overkill of punctuation.

The title sto
JoAnn
Mar 02, 2011 JoAnn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book contains some of my favorite Elizabeth Gaskell short stories: "Half A Life-Time Ago," "The Doom of the Griffiths," "The Poor Clare," and "The Half-Brothers." "The Accursed Race" is unique in that it is not fiction, although the history of the Cagot is so incredible I was compelled to Google them for more information.
I was also enthralled by the part of "My Lady Ludlow" that recounted the French aristocratic man who was caught up in the French Revolution. I was nearly brought to tears.
Amanda
Aug 31, 2013 Amanda rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013, librivox
Not Gaskell's best, but there are some really good stories in here. The solo Librivox recording is well read and easy to listen to.
Katrina
Katrina rated it liked it
Nov 13, 2013
Romola
Romola rated it it was amazing
Mar 04, 2016
Maggie
Maggie rated it it was amazing
Dec 11, 2014
Rosemary
Rosemary rated it it was amazing
Aug 25, 2013
Kelly
Kelly rated it liked it
Apr 03, 2016
Al4jax
Al4jax rated it it was ok
Jul 08, 2014
Kellie Hinman
Kellie Hinman rated it liked it
Jul 18, 2013
Shiloh
Shiloh rated it liked it
Feb 13, 2015
april
april rated it liked it
May 10, 2015
Dixie27
Dixie27 rated it it was amazing
Sep 14, 2015
Rachael
Rachael rated it it was ok
Jun 12, 2011
Tuppence
Tuppence rated it it was amazing
Mar 08, 2014
Juniper
Juniper rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2016
Susan
Susan rated it it was ok
May 08, 2012
Malia Turner
Malia Turner rated it it was ok
Jan 03, 2017
Eugenia
Eugenia rated it really liked it
Sep 27, 2014
Megan
Megan rated it it was ok
Aug 04, 2011
Jenny
Jenny rated it liked it
May 01, 2016
Beth
Beth rated it liked it
Apr 28, 2010
Laurie
Laurie rated it liked it
Sep 15, 2016
adhsca
adhsca rated it liked it
May 01, 2009
Iraida A. LaSalle
Iraida A. LaSalle rated it liked it
Dec 26, 2014
Marianne
Marianne rated it did not like it
Oct 02, 2016
Whitney
Whitney rated it liked it
Oct 17, 2013
Elizabeth Cleghorn Gaskell, née Stevenson (29 September 1810 – 12 November 1865), often referred to simply as Mrs. Gaskell, was an English novelist and short story writer during the Victorian era. She is perhaps best known for her biography of Charlotte Brontë. Her novels offer a detailed portrait of the lives of many strata of society, including the very poor, and as such are of interest to socia ...more
More about Elizabeth Gaskell...