Start by marking “The Green Man: Tales from the Mythic Forest” as Want to Read:
The Green Man: Tales from the Mythic Forest

The Green Man: Tales from the Mythic Forest (Mythic Fiction #1)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  1,829 ratings  ·  89 reviews
One of our most enduring, universal myths is that of the Green Man-the spirit who stands for Nature in its most wild and untamed form, a man with leaves for hair who dwells deep within the mythic forest. Through the ages and around the world, the Green Man and other nature spirits have appeared in stories, songs, and artwork, as well as many beloved fantasy novels, includi ...more
Published May 27th 2002 by Viking Juvenile

To ask other readers questions about The Green Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Green Man

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeThe Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinBridge to Terabithia by Katherine PatersonEast of Eden by John SteinbeckSpeak by Laurie Halse Anderson
Trees on Covers
235th out of 514 books — 121 voters
Catalyst by Laurie Halse AndersonHanging on to Max by Margaret BechardGingerbread by Rachel CohnThis Lullaby by Sarah DessenHoot by Carl Hiaasen
YALSA 2003 Best YA Books
33rd out of 61 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Cheryl
I've never met an anthology that wasn't a mixed bag. And I don't really have much more to say about this.

I guess I can say that they all seemed a bit full of themselves and the 'mutual admiration society' attitude got old.

I can say that none of the authors who were new to me tempted me with this story to look for more of their work - but I can't say why and most certainly YMMV.

I can say that I put only two bookdarts in it:

1. I loved this description by Delia Sherman of a being who is, erm, eas
Maggie Stiefvater
This collection of short stories, all inspired by the myth/ legend of the Green Man, was the most satisfying collection of short stories I've read in a long time. There were only one or two that didn't stick with me for a long time after reading them, and as a whole, the work was tremendously cohesive. Definitely a keeper for any fan of YA fantasy.

***wondering why all my reviews are five stars? Because I'm only reviewing my favorite books -- not every book I read. Consider a novel's presence on
Ruth
This book is a truly magical composition. One day I must visit Grand Central Park and say hello to Gnaw-bone and Bugle, or go into a lonely wild tangle searching for a wodwo or The Green Man, or gae to the Scotland woodland to find the Cailleach Bheur. In some ways I feel I already have, it transported me so.

“When you see the wind stir the green-wood, or when you turn the pages of a book made from a tree’s still-blameless flesh, lean close and listen.

You hear my voice.”

And I do; it is my own voi
Melanie
This book was a complete mixed bag of hauntingly beautiful short stories I hoped would never end to ones I couldn't wait to finish. There are poems too but I bought the book for the stories.

The highlights to me were:

Somewhere in my Mind there is a Painting Box by Charles De Lint. I don't think this man can write badly. The romantic in me wanted a different ending but his was right for the characters and situation.

Hunter's Moon by Patricia A. McKillip. I wanted to know what happened next. It fel
PurplyCookie
Ellen Datlow and Terri Windling have paid true homage to the spirit of the Green Man in this anthology: "In this book, we've asked the writers to journey deep into the Mythic Forest, to bring back tales of those wild lands, and of the creatures who dwell within them. Thus in these pages you'll find witches, wolves, dryads, deer men, a faery or two, and numerous magical spirits of nature..."

This anthology of the spirit who symbolizes nature includes stories by:

Gaiman, Neil: "Going Wodwo" (poem)
Jenne
A wonderfully inspired selection of short stories and poems each with their own spin on the legendary “Green Man”. Find here a teenage girl plays a deadly game with the Queen of Central Park, a boy who risks his own life to help in a war, two girls who wish for their lives to change with unexpected results and many more.

The tales range from humorous to untamed and mystical, but each contains the power and mystery of the forest. The Green Man will take you from New York to Arizona, from fairy tal
Suzanne
This book claims to be an anthology of works interpreting the spirit of nature. While that description is technically correct, it gives a completely inaccurate picture of the short stories in this works. The majority of the works are modern dark or weird fantasy in an urban setting. Only one or two incorporate the green man of the title and provide any sense of the mystery of nature. It may be that I am too old for this work, which is aimed at teens, but I found it really slow going. The stories ...more
Katarina
The Green Man is an excellent anthology of fantasy stories, each incorporating--you guessed it-- the green man figure. Not sure what/who the green man is? There's an essay at the beginning discussing the history and prevalence of the green man legends! There are stories for just about everyone-- ones set in our world with a fantasy twist, or ones in other worlds; there are fairytale retellings, and pop culture references. It also serves as an excellent way to familiarize yourself with a range of ...more
Brenna
I went half-way through this when finally coming to the realization this does not interest me. I thought since it consisted of so many different writer's that it would be fun and always interesting, turns out not the case. Each of the stories feel the same in the since that it's, well, boring. I am fairy-ed out, I thought it would be of all types of magical creatures and it was really mainly fairy's and not very imaginative stories at that. I may have enjoyed this when I was 8 or 10 but as an ad ...more
Chris
This is the second time that I have read this book. The stories aren't bad, but overall they aren't memorable. The only story that I remembered with any clarity before re-reading this was the story by M. Shayne Bell, "The Pagodas of Cilorine", a wonderful tale about Ravel and his childhood. The story is simply charming and worth the price of the book.

Other good stories include "Remenets" by Kathe Koja, a story that anyone living in a city will understand and Delia Sherman's :Grand Central Park".
Stephanie
I found this rather young adult for my taste, and from around the halfway point I started skipping through the stories looking for something different and generally lost interest.

I enjoyed the Tanith Lee story (I always do enjoy her work) but overall most of the short stories lacked the touch of darkness that I was looking for.

I fear I have been spoiled by reading Robert Holdstock's The Bone Forest. I was hoping for something along those lines, but I was disappointed.

Cassie
I was so excited to start reading and was so thoroughly disappointed. The collection read very juvenile and sort of cobbled together. The only redeeming story for me was "Daphne", which had a lilting quality to it that was quite nice; unfortunately some of the word choice was a bit put-upon and indulgent. Granted, I only made it through the first 4 stories before deciding to put it down. Other choices were calling my name.
Wendy
The only problem with short stories is that you really want some of them to go on . . . ! My favorites in this collection were "Hunter's Moon," by Patricia McKillip (of course) and "Grounded," by Nina Kiriki Hoffman. "Joshua Tree," by Emma Bull, was also notable for concept & narrative voice.
Siobhan
I didn't know this was a YA book when I picked it up, so I was a little disappointed -- not that it wasn't a decent read, but it wasn't what I expected so that clouded my overall opinion. I would have preferred more mythology. I wound up skipping a few stories that didn't interest me right off.
Michelle Wardhaugh
Each of these stories and poems was rich and special. They all felt like they had roots set firmly into some of the deepest and most elemental myths of the natural world. I'd have to put this set on a list for "best short story collections" in my personal library.
Carolyn Dunn
My short story "Ali Angugne o Chash" appeared in this anthology- ,many didn't "get it" but I'm glad the editors did. Datlow & Windling have done some great work in publishing authors with very different backgrounds in the best of speculative fiction.
Penny Reilly
A wonderful group of authors and inspired story lines ...I enjoyed every last tale and it is currently sitting next to the bed to dip into when I need a "Green Man" fix.
Miriam
Oddly, my favorite story was the least green -- Emma Bull's "Joshua Tree."
Daryl
Any collection of short stories is likely to have its ups and downs. This book stays pretty steadily in the middle. There were only a couple of stories I didn't care for, and most were just kind of okay. The two stand-out stories for me were by Nina Kiriki Hoffman and Emma Bull, two authors who I've come to expect a lot from. Emma's story features a compelling lead character and a great narrative voice. In her author's note, she suggests that she might use the story as the first chapter of a nov ...more
Kit
I was actually quite disappointed in this anthology. The Faery Reel was much better.

Going Wodwo by Neil Gaiman * * *
Gaiman's collaboration is a quaint little poem about "going wild".

Grand Central Park by Delia Sherman * * *
The atmosphere of this story seems to have a split personality. It is half enchanting, with the other half being almost distasteful. Still, this story about a girl's encounter with some Central Park fairies was interesting...

Daphne by Michael Cadnum * * *
A strange telling of A
Kate  K. F.
I love a good anthology but this one I went through in fits and starts. Some of the stories are wonderful as they take on different ideas of what a forest means and how they can be places of hope and harm. One that jumped out for me was set in the desert, a base town with a young woman who's trying to figure out what she wants. One night in the desert, her life is altered by a connection to the older world. There were retold fairy tales but one of them was the reason that I put down the book for ...more
Carmel
In these last few years I really have feel in love with short story fantasy collections. In this time I've found Elllen Datlow and Terri WIndling's anthologies to be excellent. I may not fall in love with every story between the covers but I know there will always be a wide sampling of new authors and each story will leave me with with something to ponder. Each book allow me to get a feel for the style of over fifteen authors through a particular fantasy theme. The Preface and Introductions of e ...more
Jane
An uneven collection of short stories and poems dealing with the mythic figure of the Green Man, other forest spirits and mysterious forests. I did not like any "urban fantasy" selections.
I loved Jane Yolen's poem, "Song of the Cailleach Bheur", the Scottish blue-faced hag, the Queen of Winter. The rhythm and the atmosphere both reminded me of "Harp Song of the Dane Women", a favorite Kipling poem of mine.
I also enjoyed: "Daphne" / Frank Cadnum--a retelling of the Greek myth, in which Daphne b
Jane
This is a very interesting collection of short stories and poems about the Green Man, the mythical spirit of the forest who can be found in folklore from many cultures and origins worldwide. I have a hard time with short stories, because if they're good, I don't want them to end as soon as they do. I encountered this problem with several of the short stories in this book: They were good, and they left me wanting more.
This book contains a paragraph or two at the end of each story about the autho
Abby
Just ran across this at a little book shop. Funny how books find you (and as I just moved to the woods, this one found me at the perfect time). Saving it for cooler weather. Wish it would come soon!

So, I could not wait for the cooler weather. I have read about half of the stories already. They are wonderful. I am really loving this collection (turns out, these editors do a ton of anthologies). And I may have found an idea for a Halloween costume.

This is a lovely, lively collection. In most antho
Kathleen
This one's been on my "to read" shelf for years, and I just now got around to it...the short stories/poems are something of a mixed bag, depending on personal taste. There were a lot more modern takes on the Green Man legends than I thought there would be--and since urban fantasy isn't entirely my cup of tea, I would have appreciated a wider variety than what the editors put together.

That's not to say that the stories themselves aren't good...there's some recognizable names in this volume, inclu
Fantasy Literature
In fairy tales, whenever someone journeys into the forest, you just know something strange is about to occur and that the protagonist’s life is going to be changed forever. The same is true of the stories and poems featured in The Green Man: Tales from the Mythic Forest. With this collection, editors Ellen Datlow and Terri Windling kicked off a series of young adult anthologies, each devoted to a particular theme. Here, the theme is wild nature, and most of the stories feature teenage characters ...more
Julia
First off, I was disappointed by the de Lint story in this anthology; I’d just read it in Waifs and Strays and it hadn’t been a favorite there. Oh well.

I liked “Charlie’s Away” by Midori Snyder about a teenager who lives on the edge of a forest who thinks he’s keeping his family together after the death of his sister.

“Grounded” by Nina Kiriki Hoffman is about a teenager who wants to hate the man her Mom is dating, but he’s a really good guy...

“Joshua Tree” by Emma Bull is about a desert forest
Annalee
A beautiful collection of mythic short stories(with the exclusion of two). I loved the introduction, which I usually skip in most books. This one, however, was very informative and interesting. I also like that at the end of each story or poem they give you a little info about that author. I've found many new authors that I like as well as books by them that I've added to my "to-read" shelf. I would give this book 5 out of 5 stars, but there were two stories in particular that did not fit in wit ...more
Laura Morrigan
This was a very inspiring collection of short stories all to do with forests and magic. They were all wonderful but The Pagodas of Ciboure by M. Shayne Bellstood out for me as a really special piece of writing!

This book is a must-read!
Into the Forest: Green Man - Spoilers 11 21 Apr 02, 2012 06:55AM
Into the Forest: Green Man -Spoiler Free 4 19 Mar 08, 2012 07:20AM
  • The Faery Reel: Tales from the Twilight Realm
  • The Fair Folk
  • Waifs and Strays
  • Welcome to Bordertown (Borderland, #5)
  • Firebirds: An Anthology of Original Fantasy and Science Fiction
  • Emerald Magic: Great Tales of Irish Fantasy
  • The Book of Ballads
  • The Secret History of Fantasy
  • Happily Ever After
  • Harrowing the Dragon
  • Shelf Life: Fantastic Stories Celebrating Bookstores
Ellen Datlow has been an award-winning editor of short science fiction, fantasy, and horror for over twentyfive years.

She is editor of the Best Horror of the Year and has edited or co-edited a large number of award-winning original anthologies. Her most recent are Supernatural Noir, Naked City, Blood and Other Cravings, The Beastly Bride, Teeth, Trolls Eye View, and After (the last three with Ter
More about Ellen Datlow...

Mythic Fiction (4 books)
  • The Faery Reel: Tales from the Twilight Realm
  • The Coyote Road: Trickster Tales
  • The Beastly Bride: Tales of the Animal People
Snow White, Blood Red Naked City: Tales of Urban Fantasy Lovecraft Unbound The Faery Reel: Tales from the Twilight Realm Black Heart, Ivory Bones

“Often misunderstood, Dionysus is far more than a wine deity. He is the Breaker of Chains, who rescues not only the flesh but the heart and spirit from too much of worldly regulations and duties. He is a god of joy and freedom. Any uncultivated, tangled, and primal woodland is very much his domain.” 6 likes
“Her feet were large, and she had a habit of whistling badly, but these things made her worthy of being loved. A goddess might be adored for a moment, but only a real person can speak forever to the rest of us.” 5 likes