Above the Thunder

Above the Thunder

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  110 ratings  ·  19 reviews
A wary, middle-aged widow numbed by loss and disappointment. A preternaturally intelligent little girl who eavesdrops on the dead. A charming, sybaritic gay man torn between his love for his partner and the anarchy of his desires.These are the charged poles of Renee Manfredi’s gorgeously written first novel, a book that explores the currents of tenderness, responsibility a...more
Published May 10th 2005 by Anchor (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Above the Thunder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Above the Thunder

Kathy Ahn
I just re-read this book -- I was looking for a short segment to read at a friend's wedding and it had been a long time since I had originally read it, but I remembered it as a book full of love.

And it is. It's a beautiful first novel. Part of my enjoyment is that I feel such kinship with the protagonist -- a terrible mother who feels neither matronly or nurturing, a scientist at heart, but a loving grandmother and friend. She opens herself up to a love that would remind her of her past love and...more
Lisa
I don't know how to feel about this book. The writing style was excellent even with the various typos missed in editing. It was different than I expected (plot twist) but I could have done without some of the gay sex information. Author left some issues unresolved with the reader having unanswered questions at the end of the book. I'd much rather read a book with an element of hope threaded throughout. Most of the story was dreary. Not enough information related to the mother/daughter relationsh...more
Celeste
Excellent writing and well-developed characters in a story that brings together several lonely people. The granddaughter was a little too far-fetched, and I wouldn't recommend this book to someone looking for a pick-me-up despite the fact that it has hopeful and life-confirming moments.
Barbara
A remarkable book.
Polly
It's at least six months since I actually finished this book so I'll try to give it a worthy review but it might not be of much use to anyone!

This book was unusual - it kind of unfolded, and unfolded some more... and strangely for a while it seemed like everything might become sorted for the characters, but without spoiling it for anyone, let me tell you not to expect many happy resolutions!

The main character is a mature lady (Anna) whose husband (Hugh) has passed away - she seems reluctant to...more
Michelle
I did enjoy this book. I found it really hard to get into at first because it just didn't really pull you in with anything in particular. But the good news was that it actually did get better and at one point I felt like I just wanted to go meet the characters and go to a party and hang out with them and get to know this weird little entagled group of people. I would recommend this book to someone who truly thinks it looks interesting, but I'm not going to lie and tell you that it's a great read...more
I read this book quite a few years ago and enjoyed it a lot. I found it in our library book sale (it is probably the one I read years ago)and so now I own a copy. It is an amazing novel - especially as it was the author's first!

The book covers a lot of interesting topics e.g. women without maternal instinct, the spirit world, reincarnation, gay love & marriage, AIDS, grief, what makes a family, drug addiction? Amazing that it is all packed into a book of less than 400 pages! The characters a...more
Kara
This book is very depressing and very, very good. I admit that I didn't read this book when I was necessarily in the best situations, so I had a little bit of trouble concentrating on the writing style, not to say that there was anything wrong with it. The characters are so fascinating that you can't help not to care about them and want to know what comes next. A wonderful woven little story about family and self-discovery.
Yvonne Leutwyler
The stories of the people in this book has more potential than what the author created. I guess I didn't really enjoy her style, her prose. She is often overly descriptive of situations that make the chapters read almost like college papers than a novel. I also found some of the happenings in the book less than credible (I know it's fiction, but... the author just couldn't sell me on some situations).
Cristina
Jan 29, 2008 Cristina rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
In Above the Thunder, Manfredi takes a look at what it means to be a family, but creating a wonderful cast of characters who meet through circumstance. They discover that blood is not the only connection that create a familial bond. This is a wonderful look at relationships as well as the world of AIDS.
Will Bellais
Sep 11, 2007 Will Bellais rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those who enjoy a good read
Shelves: fiction
At first I thought is was a "woman's book." Andthat it is, but the craft and story draw you in with its gay story and how he loves his partner and the dissaray this love brings to him and to others. This is a book about the "family" all gay and lesbians seem to talk about.
Lisa Glase
Average story - but I wanted to keep reading to find out how it ended. Unfortunately, the end was sad, so I was disappointed. However, the author was able to demonstrate how the meaning of "family" can be so unique for each person. In that way, it was touching.
Leesteffy
More traditional writing style than i usually like, but subject matter was very interesting. Likable but extremely flawed characters.(Hard to do. . .sign of a very talented writer.) Ending made me want to cry.
Kristen Elliott
I didn't get into this book at first, but after giving it some time I really enjoyed it. It is not a happy story, but the story is engaging.
Jenn
This book started off slow, but really kept me intrigued from the middle until the end. I couldn't put it down!
Katherine
Really interesting characters. Got better and better as it went.
Taylor
It was depressing at best, and for that reason I loved it!
Ruby Hall
Enjoyed--giving of self
Connie
Excellent book!
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Jonvee
Jonvee added it
May 21, 2014
Joa
Joa marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Where Love Leaves Us Running Away With Frannie Hitta hem

“Every human being, he believed, must do one of three basic things during his lifetime: leave something living, create something lovely, or make something better.” 14 likes