Start by marking “Death by Station Wagon (Suburban Detective Mysteries)” as Want to Read:
Death by Station Wagon (Suburban Detective Mysteries)

Death by Station Wagon (Suburban Detective Mysteries)

When the strangled bodies of a teenaged boy and girl who had everything going for them are found in a station wagon on a deserted estate, the police label the deaths a murder-suicide. But friends of the tragic pair think otherwise and hire Christopher "Kit" Deleeuw to prove the police wrong. Kit is a uniquely '90s middle class hero. Following a disastrous defeat on Wall ...more
Published February 1st 1994 by Crimeline (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Death by Station Wagon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death by Station Wagon

Connie
Mar 22, 2015 Connie rated it liked it
This is the first in A Suburban Detective Mystery.

This book had a good premise, but it seemed Mr. Katz kept telling us stuff we already knew. Every third or fourth chapter we were told his wife was not a domestic goddess but was very good at be a psychiatric social worker. I think once would have been enough for me on that score. Kit was a likable character, but he too got on my nerves. He did a lot of moralizing and especially at the end. I really thought this was a mystery and if it would hav
Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews
Apr 03, 2008 Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews rated it it was ok
Shelves: cozies, 2008
This was the first book of a series and the first book that I have read by Jon Katz. I thought it was ok, might have given it 2.5 stars if it would let me do that here.

It just seemed very heavy and didn't flow well for me. I found myself skimming the pages. I would have put it down but I was halfway through and wanted to know "whodoneit". I could have skipped to the end but there was some other details that I would have missed, so finishing the book at least tied it all together.

The main charact
MJ
Apr 25, 2011 MJ rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-american
I've read Katz's books about dogs and had no idea he wrote mysteries first. Kit, the husband and dad, lost his high-pressure job on Wallstreet and is now a stay-at-home father and beginning detective in a wealthy suburban community. High school students hire him to prove that a popular student did not kill his former girlfriend and then himself in a car on the old estate. Contemporary topics of land use plans, carpooling parents of over-protected children. TOO MUCH REPITITION on Kit's background ...more
Karen
Aug 27, 2007 Karen rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: mystery readers & suburbanites
I've been reading like mad lately. I've got all these books I bought at a Friends of the Library sale, and I feel guilty about buying new books until I have less old ones sitting around.

Anyway, this is by far the best book I've read recently. Very well-written, entertaining, not too fluffy, and it wasn't crystal-clear who the bad guy was until the end.

This same author writes for Slate [http://www.slate.com] and has written several non-fiction books about dogs. He's not to be confused with "Dr Ka
LJ
Jul 09, 2008 LJ rated it it was amazing
DEATH BY STATION WAGON - Ex
Katz, Jon - 1st in series

He's a disgraced ex-Wall Streeter, hired by some kids to prove that a murder-suicide isn't what it seems. He's the Suburban Detective--and he's about to learn just how deadly the suburbs really are.

This is a very interesting, different protagonist. It's a traditional mystery, but not a cozy. There is much more here than one first thinks.
David Johnston
Sep 12, 2013 David Johnston rated it liked it
Patsy
Patsy rated it liked it
Mar 02, 2015
Susie Fevella
Susie Fevella rated it it was ok
Apr 23, 2009
Shonna Froebel
Shonna Froebel rated it liked it
Jan 07, 2014
Kristen
Kristen rated it really liked it
Jul 11, 2008
Vickie
Vickie rated it really liked it
May 31, 2012
Khanson919
Khanson919 rated it liked it
Feb 06, 2012
Sue
Sue rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2011
Julianne
Julianne rated it liked it
Nov 29, 2013
Bella
Bella rated it it was amazing
Dec 21, 2015
Annette Mulkay
Annette Mulkay rated it really liked it
Oct 22, 2007
Kelly
Kelly rated it really liked it
Nov 26, 2008
T. Lynn
T. Lynn rated it did not like it
Dec 05, 2013
Kathleen
Kathleen rated it it was ok
Apr 21, 2011
Diane
Diane rated it liked it
Mar 20, 2013
Janet M
Janet M rated it liked it
Jan 27, 2013
Sharon
Sharon rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2013
Suzze Tiernan
Suzze Tiernan rated it liked it
Aug 21, 2011
Melinda
This was good but a bit dated. Who uses pay phones anymore?
Pch
Pch rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2016
Dana
Dana rated it really liked it
May 08, 2011
Sera
Apr 14, 2008 Sera rated it liked it
It was a fun light mystery.
Butch Ward
Butch Ward rated it liked it
Nov 14, 2007
Robin Waterson
Robin Waterson rated it really liked it
Apr 19, 2016
Kathy
Kathy rated it really liked it
Aug 05, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Jon Katz is an author, photographer, and children's book writer. He lives on Bedlam Farm with his wife, the artist Maria Wulf, his four dogs, Rose, Izzy, Lenore and Frieda, two donkeys, Lulu and Fanny, and two barn cats. His next book, "Rose In A Storm" will be published by Random House on October 5.
He is working on a collection of short stories and a book on animal grieving.
More about Jon Katz...