Start by marking “Socks from the Toe Up: Essential Techniques and Patterns from Wendy Knits” as Want to Read:
Socks from the Toe Up: Essential Techniques and Patterns from Wendy Knits

Socks from the Toe Up: Essential Techniques and Patterns from Wendy Knits

Discover a new approach to sock knitting with Wendy D. Johnson and Socks from the Toe Up. This approach, made famous by her popular blog WendyKnits.net, will turn even the most reluctant knitter into a toe-up nut. Knitting a sock from the toe up saves yarn and always gives a perfect fit. And? No grafting! Wendy provides all the how-tos, tips, and techniques you need, as we ...more
Published April 14th 2009 by Potter Craft

To ask other readers questions about Socks from the Toe Up, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Socks from the Toe Up

Carol
Apr 16, 2009 Carol rated it really liked it
Shelves: knitting
Very nice sock knitting book from the author of the Wendy Knits blog. I like the patterns and the casual writing style. She describes several methods for casting on, turning the heel, and binding off. Note that it's not a beginner book. There's no "basic knitting skills" section which so many other knitting books include. A quibble: I wish there was more of a range in gauges. Most of the patterns are written for a fine gauge, usually 8 stitches per inch, which can be hard on the hands for some o ...more
sabisteb
Oct 25, 2012 sabisteb rated it liked it
Shelves: sachbuch
Zunächst werden die Grundlagen der Toe Up Socke vermittelt:
1. Die verschiedenen Spitzenanschläge:
Spitze mit verkürzten Reihen, Spitze mit Achteranschlag, Türkischer Maschenanschlag und Judys Zauberanschlag. Die Zeichnungen fand ich nicht sehr hilfreich und war froh, dass in den Quellen Webseiten angegeben waren, wo diese Techniken mit teils deutlich besseren Bildern und Erklärungen abgebildet waren. Besonders bei Judys Zauberanschlag kann ich wirklich nur empfehlen auf die ursprüngliche Quelle
penny shima glanz
Sitting in a crowded, delayed, and AC-less subway car in mid-August is not the best way to gain a favourable impression of any book. Regretfully it was those conditions which lead to my first impressions of this book, formed while skimming quickly through the patterns and melting on the platform: "meh".

I knit my socks toe-up and I feel I can follow most standard recipes in my sleep. I didn't see anything that excited or inspired me.

Last night I sat down to draft this review and decided to give
Dionne
Jan 04, 2016 Dionne rated it it was amazing
Loved this book and will be adding it to my knitting library as it is one of the few books on knitting that I read cover to cover. The directions and diagrams are easy to follow along and learn toe up sock construction. There were a good mix of basic and intermediate level patterns with vanilla and more complex design to fit your knitting mood. Though I didn't like the author's choice of yarn on some of the socks (didn't show off the stitch pattern well enough), I found better examples on Ravelr ...more
Lil' Grogan
Jun 02, 2012 Lil' Grogan rated it liked it
Shelves: handmade
Good technique section with different cast-ons, bind-offs, toes and heels. Particularly appreciated the three vanilla patterns with different heels...though no real sizing option. Would prefer to work through the sometimes curious English translation of The Sock Knitter's Workshop: Everything Knitters Need to Knit Socks Beautifully which offers different sizes and does the math for you if you want it.

Some cute socks, but as I don't see the point of putting holes in socks before they're worn (i.
Harue Jules
Jul 08, 2012 Harue Jules rated it really liked it
This was the first book I got when I decided I would try knitting socks.

I love the technique using two circular needles instead of four short needles, and have used it for other items since.

Come to think of it, I walk around all winter barefooted and in my Uggs or sheepskin boots both in and outside the house, so I have not much need of socks, but this book sure gives good sound basics for any knitter who wants to try knitting socks.
Tilden
Mar 22, 2013 Tilden rated it it was amazing
Nice book, nice photos. I haven't knitted any patterns from this book so I can't say if the instructions are easy to follow or not but the book is laid out very nicely. I knit socks from the top down so I don't think I'm going to change the way I knit socks since I like the method. I'm not going to buy this book because I have many many sock pattern books and I don't really need another one. But, if I didn't have so many sock books I would buy this book.
Frances
Sep 11, 2013 Frances rated it it was amazing
The first pair of socks I knit was from this book, so it always holds a special place! I'm currently working on a variation of it, too! :-) (Bavarian Cable Socks) I love how Wendy makes sure to give patterns that are easy enough to remember so I don't have to constantly look at the pattern. I can take this on the bus with me, without getting carsick looking at the pattern :-) I checked this out of the library, at it is on my "to buy, eventually, hopefully" list. :-)
Margie
Jul 16, 2010 Margie rated it really liked it
Shelves: library, knitting
I always knit my socks top down... that's the way I learned. But I've heard so many good things about making your socks from the toe up, that I've always wanted to try it, but I just need an easy explanation of how to do it. This book is it. It's the first time I've actually understood how to do it, and I can't wait to start my first pair. I also like how this book has simple starter (stockinette) socks, so you can "get" the technique without having to worry about lace or cables.
Heywu
Sep 26, 2009 Heywu rated it really liked it
Shelves: knitting
Ribbed Ribbon socks - Well, it took a few months but i finally finished these socks. I liked the book and have added it to my Amazon wishlist (I borrowed it from the library). Knitting a sock from the toe up is much easier and Wendy does a great job of explaining it. I also went on line to learn how to start the sock. There are several videos.
Theresa
Apr 25, 2010 Theresa rated it really liked it
Shelves: knitting
This one is a really good book for explaining what to do and how to do it. I think I can modify the patterns enough (if needed) so that I can avoid doing a gauge swatch. The lace patterns are gorgeous and I really want to try some of them.

Patterns can be done with a variety of needles (dpns, circulars, or magic loop).
Sheila
Sep 04, 2011 Sheila rated it liked it
Shelves: fiber-arts
Good basic reference for knitting toe up socks with different cast-ons, toe and heel methods, and bind-offs, tho most of these are available online various places. Nice sock patterns, but nothing really new and different. I tend to make up my own sock patterns as I knit, so I was meh about it. But it would be nice for the beginning sock knitter.
Marina Garrison
Jul 06, 2011 Marina Garrison rated it it was amazing
This is the best ever toe up sock knitting book. Great patterns, easy to follow instructions (especially for bindoffs and magic loop). Highly recommended for any level knitter looking to knit socks from the toe up.
Rebecca Schwarz
Jan 11, 2010 Rebecca Schwarz rated it really liked it
I love the patterns in this book but took one star off as some of the technical information is a bit thin and the drawings not so helpful. In other words, if I hadn't already brought some sock knitting know how to this I would have had trouble with some of the techniques used.
Josiphine
Wonderful, because it's Wendy Knits (everything she does is lovely). I think the reason I hate knitting socks is because I've been going top-down. Armed with this book I shall go toe=up and perhaps finally have warm feet. *crosses fingers*
Wylie Kay
May 14, 2010 Wylie Kay rated it liked it
Nice, well thought out book. I was kinda hoping it would cover 2 on 1 circular, but it didn't so much. Guess that is what YouTube is for. At any rate, she is a very artistic and accomplished knitter and I follow her blog, so I thought I should check it out.
Carrie
May 06, 2014 Carrie rated it liked it
Shelves: knitting
I appreciated that the author covered several techniques for heels, toes, and bind-offs and the benefits of each. The patterns had plenty of pictures. Even though I would probably only use one of the patterns in its entirety, I think they would make a good base for other designs.
Ashley
Sep 15, 2011 Ashley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: knitting
This is a great book for first-time toe-up sock knitters, and has plenty of information for even experienced toe-uppers. There are a variety of cast-ons and heel gussets described, as well as a number of great patterns!
Del TheCraftySpot
Jul 17, 2011 Del TheCraftySpot rated it it was amazing
I am currently knitting my first toe up socks using the Lacy Ribs Socks pattern in this book. Wendy has a great way of explaining how to's! I love this book and this particular pattern as well. I look forward to knitting more socks from her patterns here.
Alex
Mar 11, 2016 Alex rated it really liked it
This book probably has the best explaination, that's easy for a newb to understand, for the different methods of sock knitting I've seen.

The first few chapters alone make this book worth the purchase. The patterns are a bonus. A great book for a beginner.
Laurel
Jan 18, 2013 Laurel rated it really liked it
Shelves: craft
If I don't go crazy knitting lace socks on size zero needles I'll come back to this and Wendy's other books every time I find some sock yarn I'm dying to use. Seriously considering investing in a magnifying glass but man, that would make me feel so OLD!!!
Ann
Dec 23, 2010 Ann rated it it was amazing
Shelves: knitting
Fantastic book that walks you carefully though how to do a basic toe-up sock....and then drowns you in dozens of gorgeous patterns. All of them are beautiful and wearable, and none of them are overly difficult.

If you're going to knit socks. This is the book you need to have.
Joanne Robb
Oct 07, 2012 Joanne Robb rated it it was amazing
Shelves: knitting-books
This is my first sock book and I think I can stop now. Won't need anymore books on socks. I've only knotted socks from top down but starting at the toe is where I'll be starting from now on. I can't knit the socks fast enough. I want to make them all!
Leethel Farmer
Apr 23, 2014 Leethel Farmer rated it it was amazing
Fun easy patterns with great written instructions and charts.
Janell
Apr 13, 2011 Janell added it
I love this book and the instructions are really well written. I am started a pair for my husband now and am really excited to see how they go. Trying the magic loop technique...
Fangirl
Nov 05, 2009 Fangirl rated it really liked it
An interesting new way to knit socks. The book is also filled with many nice patterns.
Apr 04, 2013 Sarah rated it really liked it
Beautiful!
Samhy
Nov 26, 2013 Samhy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: english, ebook, knitting
I've learned new techniques, which is interesting when one is doing almost the same socks over and over, and the patterns are appealing.
Michelle
Feb 21, 2014 Michelle rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
Lots of good technique tips and interesting patterns.
Emmaj
Apr 13, 2010 Emmaj rated it really liked it
Great book. Great patterns. If you don't knit socks, you soon will after reading this book.
  • Sock Innovation
  • Favorite Socks: 25 Timeless Designs from Interweave
  • Sensational Knitted Socks
  • Knitted Lace of Estonia
  • The Knitter's Book of Socks: The Yarn Lover's Ultimate Guide to Creating Socks That Fit Well, Feel Great, and Last a Lifetime
  • Knitting Socks with Handpainted Yarn
  • 2-at-a-Time Socks: Revealed Inside. . . The Secret of Knitting Two at Once on One Circular Needle; Works for any Sock Pattern!
  • New Pathways for Sock Knitters: Book One
  • Mason-Dixon Knitting Outside the Lines: Patterns, Stories, Pictures, True Confessions, Tricky Bits, Whole New Worlds, and Familiar Ones, Too
  • Folk Shawls