Start by marking “Socks from the Toe Up: Essential Techniques and Patterns from Wendy Knits” as Want to Read:
Socks from the Toe Up: Essential Techniques and Patterns from Wendy Knits

Socks from the Toe Up: Essential Techniques and Patterns from Wendy Knits

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  565 ratings  ·  52 reviews
Discover a new approach to sock knitting with Wendy D. Johnson and Socks from the Toe Up. This approach, made famous by her popular blog WendyKnits.net, will turn even the most reluctant knitter into a toe-up nut. Knitting a sock from the toe up saves yarn and always gives a perfect fit. And? No grafting! Wendy provides all the how-tos, tips, and techniques you need, as we ...more
Published April 14th 2009 by Potter Craft

To ask other readers questions about Socks from the Toe Up, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Socks from the Toe Up

A Crooked Kind of Perfect by Linda UrbanThe Total Tragedy of a Girl Named Hamlet by Erin DionneConfetti Girl by Diana LópezDeep Down Popular by Phoebe StonePippi Longstocking by Astrid Lindgren
Books With Socks on the Cover
18th out of 89 books — 84 voters
Stitch 'n Bitch by Debbie StollerKnitting Without Tears by Elizabeth ZimmermannElizabeth Zimmermann's Knitter's Almanac by Elizabeth ZimmermannThe Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns by Ann BuddThe Knitting Answer Book by Margaret Radcliffe
Must-have Knitting Books
76th out of 140 books — 136 voters

More lists with this book...

Carol
Very nice sock knitting book from the author of the Wendy Knits blog. I like the patterns and the casual writing style. She describes several methods for casting on, turning the heel, and binding off. Note that it's not a beginner book. There's no "basic knitting skills" section which so many other knitting books include. A quibble: I wish there was more of a range in gauges. Most of the patterns are written for a fine gauge, usually 8 stitches per inch, which can be hard on the hands for some o ...more
sabisteb
Zunächst werden die Grundlagen der Toe Up Socke vermittelt:
1. Die verschiedenen Spitzenanschläge:
Spitze mit verkürzten Reihen, Spitze mit Achteranschlag, Türkischer Maschenanschlag und Judys Zauberanschlag. Die Zeichnungen fand ich nicht sehr hilfreich und war froh, dass in den Quellen Webseiten angegeben waren, wo diese Techniken mit teils deutlich besseren Bildern und Erklärungen abgebildet waren. Besonders bei Judys Zauberanschlag kann ich wirklich nur empfehlen auf die ursprüngliche Quelle
penny
Sitting in a crowded, delayed, and AC-less subway car in mid-August is not the best way to gain a favourable impression of any book. Regretfully it was those conditions which lead to my first impressions of this book, formed while skimming quickly through the patterns and melting on the platform: "meh".

I knit my socks toe-up and I feel I can follow most standard recipes in my sleep. I didn't see anything that excited or inspired me.

Last night I sat down to draft this review and decided to give
Josiphine
Wonderful, because it's Wendy Knits (everything she does is lovely). I think the reason I hate knitting socks is because I've been going top-down. Armed with this book I shall go toe=up and perhaps finally have warm feet. *crosses fingers*
Lil' Grogan
Good technique section with different cast-ons, bind-offs, toes and heels. Particularly appreciated the three vanilla patterns with different heels...though no real sizing option. Would prefer to work through the sometimes curious English translation of The Sock Knitter's Workshop: Everything Knitters Need to Knit Socks Beautifully which offers different sizes and does the math for you if you want it.

Some cute socks, but as I don't see the point of putting holes in socks before they're worn (i.
Leethel Farmer
Fun easy patterns with great written instructions and charts.
Margie
I always knit my socks top down... that's the way I learned. But I've heard so many good things about making your socks from the toe up, that I've always wanted to try it, but I just need an easy explanation of how to do it. This book is it. It's the first time I've actually understood how to do it, and I can't wait to start my first pair. I also like how this book has simple starter (stockinette) socks, so you can "get" the technique without having to worry about lace or cables.
Frances
The first pair of socks I knit was from this book, so it always holds a special place! I'm currently working on a variation of it, too! :-) (Bavarian Cable Socks) I love how Wendy makes sure to give patterns that are easy enough to remember so I don't have to constantly look at the pattern. I can take this on the bus with me, without getting carsick looking at the pattern :-) I checked this out of the library, at it is on my "to buy, eventually, hopefully" list. :-)
Tilden
Nice book, nice photos. I haven't knitted any patterns from this book so I can't say if the instructions are easy to follow or not but the book is laid out very nicely. I knit socks from the top down so I don't think I'm going to change the way I knit socks since I like the method. I'm not going to buy this book because I have many many sock pattern books and I don't really need another one. But, if I didn't have so many sock books I would buy this book.
Harue Jules
This was the first book I got when I decided I would try knitting socks.

I love the technique using two circular needles instead of four short needles, and have used it for other items since.

Come to think of it, I walk around all winter barefooted and in my Uggs or sheepskin boots both in and outside the house, so I have not much need of socks, but this book sure gives good sound basics for any knitter who wants to try knitting socks.
Sheila
Good basic reference for knitting toe up socks with different cast-ons, toe and heel methods, and bind-offs, tho most of these are available online various places. Nice sock patterns, but nothing really new and different. I tend to make up my own sock patterns as I knit, so I was meh about it. But it would be nice for the beginning sock knitter.
Heywu
Ribbed Ribbon socks - Well, it took a few months but i finally finished these socks. I liked the book and have added it to my Amazon wishlist (I borrowed it from the library). Knitting a sock from the toe up is much easier and Wendy does a great job of explaining it. I also went on line to learn how to start the sock. There are several videos.
Theresa
This one is a really good book for explaining what to do and how to do it. I think I can modify the patterns enough (if needed) so that I can avoid doing a gauge swatch. The lace patterns are gorgeous and I really want to try some of them.

Patterns can be done with a variety of needles (dpns, circulars, or magic loop).
Ann
Fantastic book that walks you carefully though how to do a basic toe-up sock....and then drowns you in dozens of gorgeous patterns. All of them are beautiful and wearable, and none of them are overly difficult.

If you're going to knit socks. This is the book you need to have.
Rebecca Schwarz
I love the patterns in this book but took one star off as some of the technical information is a bit thin and the drawings not so helpful. In other words, if I hadn't already brought some sock knitting know how to this I would have had trouble with some of the techniques used.
Wylie Kay
Nice, well thought out book. I was kinda hoping it would cover 2 on 1 circular, but it didn't so much. Guess that is what YouTube is for. At any rate, she is a very artistic and accomplished knitter and I follow her blog, so I thought I should check it out.
Del TheCraftySpot
I am currently knitting my first toe up socks using the Lacy Ribs Socks pattern in this book. Wendy has a great way of explaining how to's! I love this book and this particular pattern as well. I look forward to knitting more socks from her patterns here.
Joanne Robb
This is my first sock book and I think I can stop now. Won't need anymore books on socks. I've only knotted socks from top down but starting at the toe is where I'll be starting from now on. I can't knit the socks fast enough. I want to make them all!
Laurel
If I don't go crazy knitting lace socks on size zero needles I'll come back to this and Wendy's other books every time I find some sock yarn I'm dying to use. Seriously considering investing in a magnifying glass but man, that would make me feel so OLD!!!
Ashley
This is a great book for first-time toe-up sock knitters, and has plenty of information for even experienced toe-uppers. There are a variety of cast-ons and heel gussets described, as well as a number of great patterns!
Marina Garrison
This is the best ever toe up sock knitting book. Great patterns, easy to follow instructions (especially for bindoffs and magic loop). Highly recommended for any level knitter looking to knit socks from the toe up.
Kelly
Excellent tome on knitting toe-up socks! Definitely thinking about adding this one to my personal library!
Janell
Apr 13, 2011 Janell added it
I love this book and the instructions are really well written. I am started a pair for my husband now and am really excited to see how they go. Trying the magic loop technique...
Leslie Jem
Someday I think I'll want this.
Jackie Fowler
Mar 07, 2012 Jackie Fowler rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: sock knitters
Shelves: knitting
A nice toe-up sock knitting reference. The best aspects are the sample patterns to teach beginners how to knit Wendy's three styles of sock heels and the patterns that follow.
April
I am working on the Serpentine Socks. There is an error in the pattern as it is printed in the book though. For the gusset increases it should read 40(44, 48).
Yetta
good book for new sock knitters and experienced, I was recommended this book when I joined a sock knit along. easy to read intructions, and super cute patterns.
Eileen
I'm bound and determined to learn how to knit socks! We shall see. This book has clear instructions. For some reason I just feel more comfortable with crochet.
shirley
Although the patterns in the book didn't do much for me the photography is outstanding and the basics information on toes and heels very useful.
Great patterns, including some basic toe-up templates that I use all the time...I do wish there was some more flexibility in the sizing.
  • Sock Innovation: Knitting Techniques & Patterns for One-Of-A-Kind Socks
  • Favorite Socks: 25 Timeless Designs from Interweave
  • Sensational Knitted Socks
  • Knit. Sock. Love.
  • Knitting Vintage Socks: New Twists on Classic Patterns
  • New Pathways for Sock Knitters: Book One
  • The Knitter's Book of Socks: The Yarn Lover's Ultimate Guide to Creating Socks That Fit Well, Feel Great, and Last a Lifetime
  • Knitting Socks with Handpainted Yarn
  • 2-at-a-Time Socks: Revealed Inside. . . The Secret of Knitting Two at Once on One Circular Needle Works for any Sock Pattern!
  • The Opinionated Knitter
  • Mason-Dixon Knitting Outside the Lines: Patterns, Stories, Pictures, True Confessions, Tricky Bits, Whole New Worlds, and Familiar Ones, Too
  • Folk Shawls
  • Luxury Yarn One-Skein Wonders: 101 Small Indulgences
  • Brave New Knits: 26 Projects and Personalities from the Knitting Blogosphere
Toe-Up Socks for Every Body: Adventurous Lace, Cables, and Colorwork from Wendy Knits Wendy Knits Lace: Essential Techniques and Patterns for Irresistible Everyday Lace Wendy Knits: My Never-Ending Adventures in Yarn Serpentine Socks: E-Pattern from Socks from the Toe Up (Potter Craft ePatterns) Belle Epoque Thigh Highs and Kneesocks: E-Pattern from Toe-Up Socks for Every Body (Potter Craft ePatterns)