Start by marking “Amelia Bedelia, Bookworm” as Want to Read:
Amelia Bedelia, Bookworm

Amelia Bedelia, Bookworm (Amelia Bedelia #17)

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  746 ratings  ·  47 reviews
Overdue for some fun?

If so, check out everyone's favorite-minded housekeeper, Amelia Bedelia. Nothing makes Amelia Bedelia happier than helping people and doing exactly as she's told. And what could be more satisfying than a day spent volunteering at the library?

But Mrs. Page, the librarian, is surprised when Amelia Bedelia steals away in the bookmobile for a bookstore vis

Published August 12th 2003 by Greenwillow Books (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Amelia Bedelia, Bookworm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Amelia Bedelia, Bookworm

Jamie Therriault
Estimate of age level of interest: 1st-3rd grade
Estimate of reading level: 2nd-4th grade

Brief Description: Amelia Bedelia visits the library. She think of different meanings for words than people intend them almost all the time, which gets her into a little bit of trouble.

Identify at least 2 characteristics of this genre and subgenre and discuss how they appear in your book:
Easy Readers need to have text that is simple. The text needs to be easy to understand and the font needs to be simple so
I read this today with my 7 year old book buddy. It was great fun as usual to see how mixed up Amelia Bedelia can get, this time in the library. As well as being a great book to read aloud, it also shows what a great place the library can be.
Sandra Ayala
This book tells the story of Amelia Bedila who is a house maid but also is confused on what to do. In the book Amelia Bedila is given specific instructions of chores to do around the house but somehow she always misunderstands these chores because the person who gives the order always gives orders as a figure of speech. However, Amelia Bedelia does not understand figure of speech and always takes the commands literally, so she does her job wrong throughout the book. At the end the owners come ba ...more
A cute story, but many of the puns that are meant to amuse children were abstruse and outdated.
Connie Strong
"Amelia Bedelia, Bookworm" by Herman Parish is one of the many in the Amelia Bedelia stories. In this case Amelia Bedelia is at the library helping a frazzled librarian. Amelia attempts to help in the best way she can, but ends up causing the librarian much more stress. She takes everything the librarian said by heart, and cannot keep up with the most common of English phrases. In one instance, Amelia puts jackets on the books. She literally put jackets on the book, instead of covers. In another ...more
Christian Houseworth
This book is one of many in the Amelia Bedelia series. This story is about Amelia Bedelia's experience working in the library. Amelia Bedelia takes everything so literally that she thought a thesaurus was a dinosaur. This is a great book to have on the bookshelves in my classroom! This is a great book for independent reading as well as, a good book for guided reading time. This book is very good for talking about language usage because Amelia Bedelia takes everything literally. Also, this book w ...more
I remember thinking Amelia Bedelia was such great silly fun as a child. All the goofs she makes from taking things literally introduced me to idea that words and language phrases can have multiple meanings. Misunderstandings and recovering from them are often an inherent part of communication. Amelia Bedelia, Bookworm is an instillation written by original author Peggy Parish’s nephew, Herman Parish. He continues the tradition with new set of blunders and mishaps.

I like that this book takes read
Laura Mincey
Oh, I just LOVE Amelia Bedelia and how confused she gets in her stories! This book tells the story of the always-mixed up Amelia Bedelia at the library. She tries to help Mrs. Page get the library ready for a very big day of investigation from the head librarian. However, she gets her directions confused when she mistakes words that sound the same, but have different meanings. For example, when told that a book needed a jacket, Amelia goes home and sews tiny jackets for each book she has, rather ...more
Amelia Bedelia's visit to the library includes some unintentional misadventures, as all of her books do. How could she know that the book jackets the librarian was talking about didn't have sleeves and buttons?
In this book, Herman Parish does not seem to have quite the touch that his Aunt Peggy did. Some of Amelia's misunderstandings are quite awkward. For instance, when the librarian says she wants Amelia to be so quiet that she could hear a pin drop, Amelia THROWS her pen to the floor, makin
Erma Talamante
I always loved Amelia Bedelia books as a kid, and getting to share them with my own children is amazing! Simple misunderstandings make Amelia's world a fascinating place, and she charms everyone around her!
I love these books. Extremely quick read (given that I am 29 and read regularly). I picked some of these up at a library fundraiser and the nostalgia is very heavy in them. Perfect for children!
I think this book is really cute, my kids are a little too young to get all of the quirks of Amelia Bediala but will grow to love them I'm sure!!!
I love Amelia Bedelia. So do kids! This book is great to encourage more reading!
Author: Herman Parish
Illustrator: Lynn Sweat
Publisher: Greenwillow Books
Genre: Early Readers
Summary: Amelia Bedelia goes to the library and Mrs. Page, the head librarian informs her that the Head Librarian was coming by to visit. Amelia helps the kids make bookmarks and school reports. Later she takes the book mobile because Mrs. Page tells her that she must go “by” the book and goes shopping at a bookstore.
Response: This one is not as crazy as her usual ones. I think I prefer Peggy’s version m
Emily Warner
Similar to the other Amelia Bedelia stories, she is at it once again, but this time she is in a library. Amelia Bedelia is trying her best to be helpful in the library, but she seems to do everything wrong. This would be a great read aloud in the library because we could discuss what the librarian really wanted Amelia Bedelia to do instead of what she thought she should do in the library.
Jourdan Aanenson
This story shows young readers that reading is a great thing. Amelia books are funny. When i was little i loved reading them because they made my mom and me laugh a lot. This books shows kids that reading is fun. When you go to a library there are many great adventures. And you could even end up at the police officers office if things go wrong in Amelia's case.
I just don't see why this character is so beloved. I read this book my first experience with Amelia Bedelia. I guess some people enjoy reading books about people who act dumb however for me I just found her to be frustrating. Didn't find her lovable at all. This a grown adult who still acts so childish that even children question her judgement.
Hope Johnson
This is a great book to show words that sound the same but are different to children. The librarian says something to Amelia BUT she hears something completely different due to the words that sound the same but are spelled differently and have different meanings. This book also shows how important reading is and how fun it can be!
Okay, I am starting to "get" Amelia Bedelia. It is still not something I am going to clamor for, but I understand her mixed up ways a bit better with this story.

She helps out at the library and mixes everything up. But it works out in the end . . . I suspect it always does.
In typical Amelia Bedelia fashion, the literal interpretation of words take center stage as she wreaks havoc on a library and (surprise!) everyone is happy at the end. I'm not a huge fan of the sequel books, however my daughter loves them so I give this book three stars.
An enjoyable read about Amelia, who likes to take things literally. Her excursion into the library causes quite a stir with the kids there. My 6-year-old, however, had some troubles understanding the play on words that was used quite frequently through out the book.
Amelia Bedelia gets into trouble because she takes everything literally. Amusing, but this particular book could have used better editing and a better layout; some punctuation was awkward and the dialogue needed to be indented so it was clear who was speaking.
Gaby Roman
This book had great illustration and would be a nice way to introduce the library to my students. I would have the class make their own bookmarks, and design it any way they wanted. I would encourage them to be creative and show them how reading can be fun.
I remember enjoying these stories as a child. This story, written by Peggy Parish's son continues with the humorous misunderstandings. My favorite "Here is your book, Mark". And Amelia Bedelia responds with Yipee! "Free bookmarks for everyone."
A nice read for young readers just getting comfortable with reading on their own. Amelia finds herself in the library and soon is getting mixed up with the things the lady librarian is telling her to do. A funny story for young readers.
Technically a juvenile easy reader. Though it's grade k-3, it contains a lot of play on words that I don't think many of the younger readers will really get. Yet, it does have a lot of kid appeal, with the jokes and drawings.
I loved Amelia Bedelia as a kid, mostly because they are funny and ridiculous This A.B. story appeals to any book lover and library goer. A.B. goes on a crazy trip to her library =D
Rebecca Dean
This book is a fun book to help students pick up a book and read for fun. This book would be good to read before going to the library or even when first learning baout the library.
  • Amelia Bedelia Goes Camping
  • The Night Before the Night Before Christmas
  • Henry and Mudge and the Best Day of All (Henry and Mudge, #14)
  • Logan Bruno, Boy Baby-Sitter (Baby-Sitters Club Special Edition Readers' Request)
  • The Adventures of Little Bear
  • Little Critter: Snowball Soup
  • Bathtime for Biscuit
  • A Crack in the Track (Bright & Early Board Books)
Herman Parish is the author of Amelia Bedelia children's book series, nephew of original author, Peggy Parish. Having grown up with his aunt’s tales of Amelia’s humorous misadventures, Herman decided to carry on the legacy after his aunt’s death in 1988. He did not wish to entrust the future of the series into the hands of a children’s author outside of the family. Since Peggy had the summers off ...more
More about Herman Parish...

Amelia Bedelia (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Amelia Bedelia
  • Teach Us, Amelia Bedelia
  • Amelia Bedelia Helps Out
  • Amelia Bedelia and the Baby
  • Amelia Bedelia Goes Camping
Calling Doctor Amelia Bedelia Bravo, Amelia Bedelia! Amelia Bedelia 4 Mayor Good Driving, Amelia Bedelia Amelia Bedelia Means Business (Amelia Bedelia Chapter Books #1)