Start by marking “Amelia Bedelia, Bookworm” as Want to Read:
Amelia Bedelia, Bookworm

Amelia Bedelia, Bookworm (Amelia Bedelia #17)

Overdue for some fun?

If so, check out everyone's favorite-minded housekeeper, Amelia Bedelia. Nothing makes Amelia Bedelia happier than helping people and doing exactly as she's told. And what could be more satisfying than a day spent volunteering at the library?

But Mrs. Page, the librarian, is surprised when Amelia Bedelia steals away in the bookmobile for a bookstore vis

Published August 12th 2003 by Greenwillow Books (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Amelia Bedelia, Bookworm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Amelia Bedelia, Bookworm

Victoria
Jan 30, 2010 Victoria rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
A cute story, but many of the puns that are meant to amuse children were abstruse and outdated.
Elizabeth
Aug 01, 2016 Elizabeth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: author-study
Amelia Bedelia is eager to volunteer at her local library. Literal as usual, she confuses giving Mark a book and giving him a bookmark. Amelia also learns the difference between a thesaurus and a stegosaurus. Still, Amelia goes to great lakes to help out the library patrons and to make reading fun.

I would recommend Amelia Bedelia, Bookmark as an easy reader to primary grade students. Amelia's character is comical, yet kind. Amelia Bedelia is a pleasure to read and useful when teaching wordplay.
Samuel
May 31, 2016 Samuel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jamie Therriault
Estimate of age level of interest: 1st-3rd grade
Estimate of reading level: 2nd-4th grade

Brief Description: Amelia Bedelia visits the library. She think of different meanings for words than people intend them almost all the time, which gets her into a little bit of trouble.

Identify at least 2 characteristics of this genre and subgenre and discuss how they appear in your book:
Easy Readers need to have text that is simple. The text needs to be easy to understand and the font needs to be simple so
Christine
I read this today with my 7 year old book buddy. It was great fun as usual to see how mixed up Amelia Bedelia can get, this time in the library. As well as being a great book to read aloud, it also shows what a great place the library can be.
Sandra Ayala
This book tells the story of Amelia Bedila who is a house maid but also is confused on what to do. In the book Amelia Bedila is given specific instructions of chores to do around the house but somehow she always misunderstands these chores because the person who gives the order always gives orders as a figure of speech. However, Amelia Bedelia does not understand figure of speech and always takes the commands literally, so she does her job wrong throughout the book. At the end the owners come ba ...more
Connie Strong
Apr 16, 2012 Connie Strong rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: easy-reader
"Amelia Bedelia, Bookworm" by Herman Parish is one of the many in the Amelia Bedelia stories. In this case Amelia Bedelia is at the library helping a frazzled librarian. Amelia attempts to help in the best way she can, but ends up causing the librarian much more stress. She takes everything the librarian said by heart, and cannot keep up with the most common of English phrases. In one instance, Amelia puts jackets on the books. She literally put jackets on the book, instead of covers. In another ...more
Christian Houseworth
This book is one of many in the Amelia Bedelia series. This story is about Amelia Bedelia's experience working in the library. Amelia Bedelia takes everything so literally that she thought a thesaurus was a dinosaur. This is a great book to have on the bookshelves in my classroom! This is a great book for independent reading as well as, a good book for guided reading time. This book is very good for talking about language usage because Amelia Bedelia takes everything literally. Also, this book w ...more
Jenn
Nov 14, 2009 Jenn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, lis-565
I remember thinking Amelia Bedelia was such great silly fun as a child. All the goofs she makes from taking things literally introduced me to idea that words and language phrases can have multiple meanings. Misunderstandings and recovering from them are often an inherent part of communication. Amelia Bedelia, Bookworm is an instillation written by original author Peggy Parish’s nephew, Herman Parish. He continues the tradition with new set of blunders and mishaps.

I like that this book takes read
Katie
Jan 21, 2016 Katie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edrd-314
The Amelia Bedelia series is a funny series and I think they are really great for kids. However they are a little confusing since she takes everything so literal, the story moves around a lot and I did forget they when I started to read. I think that children would think they are fun to read!
Laura Mincey
Apr 02, 2011 Laura Mincey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humorous, homophones
Oh, I just LOVE Amelia Bedelia and how confused she gets in her stories! This book tells the story of the always-mixed up Amelia Bedelia at the library. She tries to help Mrs. Page get the library ready for a very big day of investigation from the head librarian. However, she gets her directions confused when she mistakes words that sound the same, but have different meanings. For example, when told that a book needed a jacket, Amelia goes home and sews tiny jackets for each book she has, rather ...more
Jan
Nov 03, 2011 Jan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amelia Bedelia's visit to the library includes some unintentional misadventures, as all of her books do. How could she know that the book jackets the librarian was talking about didn't have sleeves and buttons?
In this book, Herman Parish does not seem to have quite the touch that his Aunt Peggy did. Some of Amelia's misunderstandings are quite awkward. For instance, when the librarian says she wants Amelia to be so quiet that she could hear a pin drop, Amelia THROWS her pen to the floor, makin
Erma Talamante
Aug 21, 2014 Erma Talamante rated it really liked it
Shelves: kid-s
I always loved Amelia Bedelia books as a kid, and getting to share them with my own children is amazing! Simple misunderstandings make Amelia's world a fascinating place, and she charms everyone around her!
Chris
May 13, 2015 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love these books. Extremely quick read (given that I am 29 and read regularly). I picked some of these up at a library fundraiser and the nostalgia is very heavy in them. Perfect for children!
Jennie
Diva didn't understand this one at all. The puns are super dated and really don't make a whole lot of sense to ESL readers. I gave up on Amelia Bedelia for the purposes of our lessons.
Memory Toast
Sep 22, 2016 Memory Toast rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not the funniest Amelia Bedelia book, but certainly good for a few laughs. Plus, a book where the main setting is a library would have to flop very hard to not snag my heart.
Rain Misoa
Mar 23, 2016 Rain Misoa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Book lovers and people who take things literally!
Recommended to Rain by: Mother
Although not as good as the original, still a very entertaining read!

To read my full review, click here.
Michelle
Our first time reading a book with this character. I think we may be reading more of her in the future. Her literal take on things is amusing.
Jamie
Feb 21, 2014 Jamie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this book is really cute, my kids are a little too young to get all of the quirks of Amelia Bediala but will grow to love them I'm sure!!!
Doren Marie
Mar 14, 2016 Doren Marie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
Another win for Amelia Bedelia! A fun intro to taking care of books and related language, including thesaurus and periodical.
Shawna
I love Amelia Bedelia. So do kids! This book is great to encourage more reading!
Somona
Jun 07, 2010 Somona rated it liked it
Shelves: children
Author: Herman Parish
Illustrator: Lynn Sweat
Publisher: Greenwillow Books
Genre: Early Readers
Summary: Amelia Bedelia goes to the library and Mrs. Page, the head librarian informs her that the Head Librarian was coming by to visit. Amelia helps the kids make bookmarks and school reports. Later she takes the book mobile because Mrs. Page tells her that she must go “by” the book and goes shopping at a bookstore.
Response: This one is not as crazy as her usual ones. I think I prefer Peggy’s version m
Nathan
Nov 22, 2014 Nathan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read to James
Kaethe
Jul 16, 2014 Kaethe rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-aloud
2007 Jun 13
Emily Warner
Jun 15, 2010 Emily Warner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Similar to the other Amelia Bedelia stories, she is at it once again, but this time she is in a library. Amelia Bedelia is trying her best to be helpful in the library, but she seems to do everything wrong. This would be a great read aloud in the library because we could discuss what the librarian really wanted Amelia Bedelia to do instead of what she thought she should do in the library.
Jourdan Aanenson
Feb 17, 2010 Jourdan Aanenson rated it really liked it
Shelves: choice
This story shows young readers that reading is a great thing. Amelia books are funny. When i was little i loved reading them because they made my mom and me laugh a lot. This books shows kids that reading is fun. When you go to a library there are many great adventures. And you could even end up at the police officers office if things go wrong in Amelia's case.
Oct 04, 2015 Laura rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-books
I just don't see why this character is so beloved. I read this book my first experience with Amelia Bedelia. I guess some people enjoy reading books about people who act dumb however for me I just found her to be frustrating. Didn't find her lovable at all. This a grown adult who still acts so childish that even children question her judgement.
Hope Johnson
This is a great book to show words that sound the same but are different to children. The librarian says something to Amelia BUT she hears something completely different due to the words that sound the same but are spelled differently and have different meanings. This book also shows how important reading is and how fun it can be!
Robert
Dec 27, 2011 Robert rated it liked it
Okay, I am starting to "get" Amelia Bedelia. It is still not something I am going to clamor for, but I understand her mixed up ways a bit better with this story.

She helps out at the library and mixes everything up. But it works out in the end . . . I suspect it always does.
Denise
Jun 17, 2010 Denise rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
In typical Amelia Bedelia fashion, the literal interpretation of words take center stage as she wreaks havoc on a library and (surprise!) everyone is happy at the end. I'm not a huge fan of the sequel books, however my daughter loves them so I give this book three stars.
  • Amelia Bedelia's Family Album
  • The Night Before the Night Before Christmas
  • Henry and Mudge and the Tumbling Trip (Henry and Mudge, #27)
  • Update on Crime (Nancy Drew: Files, #78)
  • A Crack in the Track (Bright & Early Board Books)
  • The Fat Cat Sat on the Mat
Herman Parish is the author of Amelia Bedelia children's book series, nephew of original author, Peggy Parish. Having grown up with his aunt’s tales of Amelia’s humorous misadventures, Herman decided to carry on the legacy after his aunt’s death in 1988. He did not wish to entrust the future of the series into the hands of a children’s author outside of the family. Since Peggy had the summers off ...more
More about Herman Parish...

Amelia Bedelia (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Amelia Bedelia