Start by marking “Brothers and Friends: The Diaries of Major Warren Hamilton Lewis: An Intimate Portrait of C.S. Lewis” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Brothers and Friends: ...

W.H. Lewis

4.38  ·  Rating Details  ·  21 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
Brothers and Friends is an honest, intimate, often deeply affecting portrait of Warren H. Lewis and his beloved brother, "Jack," C.S. Lewis.

The two were inseparable and lived together much of their lives: Jack called Warren "my dearest and closest friend."

These previously unpublished diaries by the elder Warren give us a lively picture of English life, literature, music
Published November 1st 1983 by Joanna Cotler Books (first published November 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Brothers and Friends, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brothers and Friends

Melinda
Warren Lewis kept a diary for most of his adult life. This book is pulled from thousands of pages of his diaries and consolidated into a manageable book. I very much enjoyed reading the diary entries, and found a wonderful view into the Lewis family through Warnie. As I mentioned in my review of C.S. Lewis' diaries "All My Road Before Me", I enjoyed reading about the same event and then looking it up in the other brother's diary!

A sweet and interesting habit that both brother's had was to give t
John
Jul 12, 2009 John rated it really liked it
This is the second time I've read these excerpts from the diaries of Warren Lewis, the brother of C.S. Lewis. It's a difficult book to find -- I got this copy from the St. Paul Public Library via interlibrary loan -- but well worth it for those interested in the life and works of C.S. Lewis.
It's also an interesting read for me because Warren Lewis' personality seems to be so much like my personality.
Being a diary, this book doesn't contain everything that one might wish to read. Although his b
Winifred
Aug 13, 2013 Winifred rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this from start to finish. I've read many bios of C S Lewis over the years, and just about all his works many times, but this simple, elegant diary introduced a whole new level of understanding. Perhaps that is simply the brotherly view, but it is intimate and of course rounds out the picture a bit by showing us just who this Warnie was. A real person with real thoughts (very sharp incisive ones too), and a different, but close, POV on the whole living situation at the Kilns ...more
Liz
Jul 06, 2008 Liz rated it liked it
This was a fascinating and inciteful look into the lives of C.S. Lewis and his brother. I must have made about 20 notes from this book on topics, (and people) to research further into. Major Warren and his brother were very close. The Major was an author in his own right, authoring 5 or 6 books on French history. I really want to read more on C.S. Lewis now.
Texv Velis
Texv Velis marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Cassidy Mallett
Cassidy Mallett marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
Peggy
Peggy marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
Yulka
Yulka marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2016
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2016
Sue Bridgwater
Sue Bridgwater rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2016
Jack
Jack marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2016
Lori
Lori marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2016
Beiza
Beiza added it
Dec 23, 2015
Χριστιάννα Σ.
Χριστιάννα Σ. marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2015
Kerry-Anne Gilowey
Kerry-Anne Gilowey marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2015
Stephen
Stephen marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
Bonnie Wolfman
Bonnie Wolfman marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2015
Justin Forseth
Justin Forseth marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2015
Susan McCants
Susan McCants rated it really liked it
May 09, 2015
Jenopcer
Jenopcer rated it it was amazing
Oct 28, 2015
Sarah rated it it was amazing
May 19, 2015
Jim Gunn
Jim Gunn marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
Charissa
Charissa marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
Timothy Hall
Timothy Hall rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2015
Mae
Mae marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Ethan Librivore Nixon
Ethan Librivore Nixon marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Hannah Christmas
Hannah Christmas marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
Lisa Jimenez
Lisa Jimenez marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Older brother of C.S. Lewis, a member of the Inklings, and a scholar of 17th-century French history.
More about W.H. Lewis...