Start by marking “Brothers and Friends: The Diaries of Major Warren Hamilton Lewis: An Intimate Portrait of C.S. Lewis” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
Brothers and Friends: ...

W.H. Lewis

4.44 of 5 stars 4.44  ·  rating details  ·  16 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Brothers and Friends is an honest, intimate, often deeply affecting portrait of Warren H. Lewis and his beloved brother, "Jack," C.S. Lewis.

The two were inseparable and lived together much of their lives: Jack called Warren "my dearest and closest friend."

These previously unpublished diaries by the elder Warren give us a lively picture of English life, literature, music...more
Published November 1st 1983 by Joanna Cotler Books (first published November 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Brothers and Friends, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brothers and Friends

Melinda
Warren Lewis kept a diary for most of his adult life. This book is pulled from thousands of pages of his diaries and consolidated into a manageable book. I very much enjoyed reading the diary entries, and found a wonderful view into the Lewis family through Warnie. As I mentioned in my review of C.S. Lewis' diaries "All My Road Before Me", I enjoyed reading about the same event and then looking it up in the other brother's diary!

A sweet and interesting habit that both brother's had was to give t...more
John
This is the second time I've read these excerpts from the diaries of Warren Lewis, the brother of C.S. Lewis. It's a difficult book to find -- I got this copy from the St. Paul Public Library via interlibrary loan -- but well worth it for those interested in the life and works of C.S. Lewis.
It's also an interesting read for me because Warren Lewis' personality seems to be so much like my personality.
Being a diary, this book doesn't contain everything that one might wish to read. Although his b...more
Winifred
I thoroughly enjoyed this from start to finish. I've read many bios of C S Lewis over the years, and just about all his works many times, but this simple, elegant diary introduced a whole new level of understanding. Perhaps that is simply the brotherly view, but it is intimate and of course rounds out the picture a bit by showing us just who this Warnie was. A real person with real thoughts (very sharp incisive ones too), and a different, but close, POV on the whole living situation at the Kilns...more
Liz
This was a fascinating and inciteful look into the lives of C.S. Lewis and his brother. I must have made about 20 notes from this book on topics, (and people) to research further into. Major Warren and his brother were very close. The Major was an author in his own right, authoring 5 or 6 books on French history. I really want to read more on C.S. Lewis now.
Katherine L
Katherine L is currently reading it
Jul 11, 2014
Colleen
Colleen marked it as to-read
May 10, 2014
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
May 03, 2014
Mihai Leonte
Mihai Leonte marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
Vinton Bayne
Vinton Bayne marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2014
Beth Dickey
Beth Dickey marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2014
Luke Mccarnan
Luke Mccarnan marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2014
Kerim Tuka
Kerim Tuka marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2013
Patricia Murphy
Patricia Murphy marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2013
Alan
Alan marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2013
Edoardo Lorenzetti
Edoardo Lorenzetti marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2013
Stefano Rapisarda
Stefano Rapisarda marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2013
Yimin Chen
Yimin Chen marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2012
Marie
Marie marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2012
Clarivel.ann
Clarivel.ann marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2012
Edward Waverley
Edward Waverley marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2012
Patrick
Patrick marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2011
Rosemary
Rosemary marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2011
Older brother of C.S. Lewis, a member of the Inklings, and a scholar of 17th-century French history.
More about W.H. Lewis...
The Splendid Century: Life in the France of Louis XIV Louis XIV: An Informal Portrait Levantine Adventurer The Scandalous Regent: A Life of Philippe, Duc d'Orleans, , and of his family THE SPLENDID CENTURY LIFE IN THE FRANCE OF LOUIS XIV