Start by marking “Lord of the elves and eldils: Fantasy and Philosophy in C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien” as Want to Read:

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  51 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
A fascinating look at the fantasy and philosophy of C.S. Lewis and J.R.R Tolkien. The two men were friends and fellow professors at Oxford, renowned Christian thinkers who both found it necessary to create for the purposes of their fiction other worldsnot utopias or dystopias, but different worlds.

The great importance of [Lewis and Tolkien] is that they have succeeded in r
Published November 1st 2006 by Ignatius Press (first published 1974)

To ask other readers questions about Lord of the elves and eldils, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lord of the elves and eldils

Jamie
Nov 23, 2010 Jamie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Tolkien and/or C.S. Lewis (especially Christians)
Recommended to Jamie by: Catholic Answers
Warning: this book will cause you to read (or re-read) other books.

Ever since I finished this book, I have been itching to read C.S. Lewis's "space trilogy", as well as get my copy of "The Hobbit" back from my friend, so I can start reading it to my children.

"Lord of the Elves and Eldils" does an excellent job of providing background information about C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien: their lives, their friendship, their academic specialties, their faith, and personal philosophies. It also provides
Kris
Jan 29, 2014 Kris rated it really liked it
Loved the in-depth look at various aspects of myth and fantasy, and how Lewis and Tolkien put their ideas in practice. A few times his research felt scattered, or lumped together awkwardly in chapters, but it was all very interesting information, analyses, and surmises. There was just a twinge of the author's own approach and conclusions which I appreciated. He did try to bring a sense of organization to this massive idea, separating the authors with their works, or by their approach to religion ...more
Julie Davis
Jun 18, 2014 Julie Davis rated it really liked it
Beginning this book is the reason I felt the push to finally push myself to read That Hideous Strength (the final one of C.S. Lewis's "space trilogy). Purtill has an in-depth essay at the back of the book discussing that book and mentions it frequently in the beginning of the main text. I had been looking for something which discussed Lewis's work as well as Tolkien's and this is one that has been praised highly.

I was surprised to see that quite a bit of this winds up addressing Tolkien's critic
Pierre Corneille
May 13, 2009 Pierre Corneille rated it liked it
Good, bur Purtill frustratingly enters the not-ver-informative debate about whether C. S. Lewis's fiction can be properly termed "allegorical" (save for "Pilgrim's Regress"). Yes, Lewis's fiction is not allegory by his own definition, but I'm not sure it matters. Purtill also explains, uncritically, Lewis's "historical" argument for the truth of Christianity. As a good philosopher, he points out the faults in Lewis's other arguments, but, frustratingly, adds no comment to Lewis's assertion that ...more
Randi
May 18, 2015 Randi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-be-read-again
I didn't give it 5 stars just because I'm ornery that way. But honestly, I loved this book, I keep recommending it to people I meet, and I want to read it again.

Much of it confirms what I already detected while reading Lewis and Tolkien, but it pointed out some things I missed, as well. My favorite part was actually right at the beginning...I mean the chapters which discuss the merits of fantasy as a literary genre. It gives me food for thought about why I have chosen to write fantasy.

Overall:
Dennis
Apr 29, 2013 Dennis rated it really liked it
Shelves: school, tolkien
Purtill is good at what he does. This book was well written, and takes some time to completely grasp but all in all worth a read (as the title may suggest, this is a Philosophy book).
Annie
A short read, but a great start of tidbits to bite into Tolkien and Lewis's works.
Page One Books
Page One Books is currently reading it
Jun 18, 2016
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
Alan Quinn
Alan Quinn is currently reading it
Mar 29, 2016
zebroshyennie
zebroshyennie marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2016
Zebulen
Zebulen rated it really liked it
Mar 22, 2016
Saoirse Sterling
Saoirse Sterling marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2016
Sue Bridgwater
Sue Bridgwater rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2016
Katie Loucks
Katie Loucks marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Saphraneet
Saphraneet rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2016
Anita
Anita is currently reading it
Dec 22, 2015
Samantha
Samantha marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2015
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2015
Shego
Shego marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2015
Megan Elizabeth
Megan Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2015
Michael
Michael rated it it was amazing
Sep 04, 2015
Farouk Adil
Farouk Adil marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2015
Kathleen Ennis
Kathleen Ennis rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2015
Jefff
Jefff marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2015
Clayton
Clayton marked it as to-read
May 30, 2015
Steven Starry
Steven Starry marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
Arthur Lammers
Arthur Lammers marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Amanda (StarDustPanda)
Amanda (StarDustPanda) marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Richard Purtill is the Professor Emeritus of Philosophy at Western Washington University, Bellingham, Washington, as well as an author of fantasy and science fiction, critical non-fiction on the same genres, and various works on religion and philosophy. He is best known for his novels of the "Kaphtu" universe. He has written as both Richard Purtill and Richard L. Purtill, a variant form of his nam ...more
More about Richard L. Purtill...