Start by marking “Iris Has a Virus” as Want to Read:
Iris Has a Virus
Preview

Iris Has a Virus

3.16 of 5 stars 3.16  ·  rating details  ·  37 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Iris finds out that having a stomach virus is exhausting, especially when her brother, Doug, lets her know that she always gets sick at the wrong time. The sibling rivalry and misunderstanding of what germs are when they are called bugs unfold in this lighthearted story of Iris’s ordinary illness and her unfounded concerns.

Arlene Alda’s engaging prose, interspersed with rh
Published September 9th 2008 by Tundra Books

To ask other readers questions about Iris Has a Virus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Iris Has a Virus

Zach
Iris goes to school only to see that many of her friends are missing. The teacher says that they are sick and a bug is going around so everyone should wash their hands. Iris ends up becoming sick the next day and her twin brother, Doug, gets upset because they may not be able to go to Grandpa's party on Saturday. Iris gets better but then Doug get sick. The book gives a brief explanation of what a virus and a 'bug' are. The message, it's no one's fault when they get sick. Simply a cute little rh ...more
Kelly
This is a cute book about being sick and some of the terminology children might hear (how can I have a "bug"?) It doesn't get into how sickness spreads though; it only mentions briefly that kids should wash their hands. The topic could've explored that a tad more, I thought!
Tricia
steve read this one to the girls. steve didn't like the puking part because kids are afraid of becoming ill. for an impressionable child like me, this would've set off a night of distress. not a readaloud by any means.
Liza Gilbert
A competent picture book about being sick. If used with the intention of explaining to kids what a virus is, it would be just fine. The story on its own (some of which rhymes) would not hold up well beyond that.
Erika
This picture book has bright, bold illustrations that catch the reader's attention. However, I didn't care for the intermixed prose/verse style and didn't care for the smugness involved in the ending.
Pbs Library
According to a lot of you, it is not a good read aloud. I thought that it was alright...it was something a little bit different at least and the characters thoughts and actions rang true for me.
Denise
This isn't a book I'd use for storytime, but I do think it would serve as a good one-on-one book.
Adriana
Very simple way to explain when you're sick
Tina
"illness, sick, germs"
Richard
Richard marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
Sherry Cockerham
Sherry Cockerham marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
Maggie
Maggie marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Tara
Tara added it
Nov 16, 2014
Hleppard
Hleppard marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Megan
Megan added it
Jan 16, 2014
Arlene Alda graduated Phi Beta Kappa from Hunter College, received a Fulbright Scholarship, and realized her dream of becoming a professional clarinetist, playing in the Houston Symphony under the baton of Leopold Stokowski. She switched careers when her children were young and became an award-winning photographer and author who has written nineteen books, including Just Kids from the Bronx. She ...more
More about Arlene Alda...
The Last Days of MASH Just Kids from the Bronx: Telling It the Way It Was: An Oral History Here a Face, There a Face Hello, Good-bye Except the Color Grey