Iris Has a Virus

Iris Has a Virus

3.14 of 5 stars 3.14  ·  rating details  ·  35 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Iris finds out that having a stomach virus is exhausting, especially when her brother, Doug, lets her know that she always gets sick at the wrong time. The sibling rivalry and misunderstanding of what germs are when they are called bugs unfold in this lighthearted story of Iris’s ordinary illness and her unfounded concerns.

Arlene Alda’s engaging prose, interspersed with rh...more
Published September 9th 2008 by Tundra Books

Zach
Iris goes to school only to see that many of her friends are missing. The teacher says that they are sick and a bug is going around so everyone should wash their hands. Iris ends up becoming sick the next day and her twin brother, Doug, gets upset because they may not be able to go to Grandpa's party on Saturday. Iris gets better but then Doug get sick. The book gives a brief explanation of what a virus and a 'bug' are. The message, it's no one's fault when they get sick. Simply a cute little rh...more
Kelly
This is a cute book about being sick and some of the terminology children might hear (how can I have a "bug"?) It doesn't get into how sickness spreads though; it only mentions briefly that kids should wash their hands. The topic could've explored that a tad more, I thought!
Tricia
steve read this one to the girls. steve didn't like the puking part because kids are afraid of becoming ill. for an impressionable child like me, this would've set off a night of distress. not a readaloud by any means.
Liza Gilbert
A competent picture book about being sick. If used with the intention of explaining to kids what a virus is, it would be just fine. The story on its own (some of which rhymes) would not hold up well beyond that.
Erika
This picture book has bright, bold illustrations that catch the reader's attention. However, I didn't care for the intermixed prose/verse style and didn't care for the smugness involved in the ending.
Pbs Library
According to a lot of you, it is not a good read aloud. I thought that it was alright...it was something a little bit different at least and the characters thoughts and actions rang true for me.
Denise
This isn't a book I'd use for storytime, but I do think it would serve as a good one-on-one book.
Adriana
Very simple way to explain when you're sick
Tina
"illness, sick, germs"
Rosemary
Rosemary marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Megan
Megan added it
Jan 16, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2012
Rachel
Rachel added it
May 21, 2012
Tundra author Arlene Alda is an award-winning photographer and writer whose photographs have appeared in Life, Vogue, and People and in numerous galleries. She is the author of twelve children’s books including her most recent, The Book of ZZZs; Morning Glory Monday, illustrated by Maryann Kovalski; and her photographs are featured in 97 Orchard Street, New York, by Linda Granfield. A native New Y...more
More about Arlene Alda...
The Last Days of MASH Here a Face, There a Face Except the Color Grey Hello, Good-bye Lulu's Piano Lesson