Start by marking “Batman: False Faces” as Want to Read:
Batman: False Faces

Batman: False Faces (Batman)

3.27 of 5 stars 3.27  ·  rating details  ·  478 ratings  ·  58 reviews
Don't miss this hard-hitting volume from award-winning writer Brian K. Vaughan (EX MACHINA, Y: THE LAST MAN, Lost), collecting Batman #588-590, Detective Comics #787, Wonder Woman #160-161 and Batman Gotham City Secret Files! In the first of these tales of the DCU, Bruce Wayne adopts the guise of Matches Malone — the seedy identity he uses to infiltrate the Gotham underwor ...more
Published February 17th 2009 by DC Comics (first published February 6th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Batman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Batman

Travis
These are stories from the brilliant Brian K. Vaughan, author of Y: The Last Man and Ex Machina among other works. These are some his earliest comic book issues, though, and are self-admittedly not as good as his later stuff. In Vaughan's introduction to the volume he says the reader can see him growing up in the stories. There are several ham-fisted moments, such as an over-explanation by Batman about missing a clue supposedly to ensure the reader that the author was not too stupid. I'm also no ...more
Brad
Jun 02, 2008 Brad rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Brian K Vaughn completists
Shelves: comics, dc
Brian K. Vaughan's written lots of great stuff for DC and Marvel, but these stories were written before all those. As you'd guess, it doesn't measure up to his great runs on Y: The Last Man, Ex Machina or Ultimate X-Men, but it isn't complete drivel. At least not all of it is.
The strongest story is "Mimsy Were the Borogoves," a single-issue story highlighting Batman's villain Mad Hatter that makes great use of C.S. Lewis' nonsense poem The Jabberwocky. And Man-Bat.
The weakest story is a two
Jim
False Faces collects Brian K. Vaughan's early work for DC Comics. If you haven't read Vaughn's stuff, you're really missing out. Pride of Baghdad is a beautiful work, and Ex Machina is a totally different, fascinating, and altogether amazing take in the superhero genre. Mixed with politics. (He was also one of the writers on the TV show, Lost.)

Anyway, False Faces collects a few of his early great stories relating to identity. "Close Before Striking" delves into Batman's alter ego of marched Matc
Kari Ramirez
Three short and unrelated stories all centered around identity. Batman's, Bruce Wayne's, the villains and those around them. I expected a little more being Brian K. Vaughn, but it is his earlier stuff. I did feel like it was written for a younger set, especially the artwork, it had a more cartoony look to it. I guess I'm just used to the darker Batman books.
Micah Siegmund
A compilation of earlier Batman stories written by Brian K. Vaughan, who went on to write some great books like Ex Machina, Pride of Baghdad and Y: The Last Man. These are all decent stories with varying levels of art. Solid writing and worthwhile additions to the Batman mythos, but nothing really groundbreaking. Hints of talent that would be realized later.
Fraser Sherman
A mixed bag of Vaughan stories from before he shifted away from mainstream heroes. The best is a one shot involving the Mad Hatter; the weakest is a multi-parter involving Scarface and Matches Malone. Overall, fun.
Bryce Wilson
Brian K. Vaughn is the Tarintino of Comic Books. A writer with a sharp ear for dialogue, a pungent sense of style, and an almost preternatural skill for subverting genre tropes while still paying them off.

This is his Four Rooms.

It's not that it's bad, just a bit uninspired. And it definitely counts on the reader knowing a shitload about The DCU which is something of a stumbling block for a casual reader like myself. The one story that is the exception to the rule is just well, kind of fucking s
Thomas
Expected more from Brian K. Vaughn, and was disappointed with the back half of the book. The saving grace was the Matches Malone story, which was pretty thought provoking about the psyche of Bruce Wayne/Batman.
Andrew
Graphic novels often reflect their origins as a collection of previously published stories in one volume and this was the case with False Faces. The stories in this instance seemed only to be loosely connected, but were none the less enjoyable for that.
Christopher
This book was ok. The first of the two story arcs in this book was pretty good. The story of Matches Malone and the impact this bad guy had on Bruce Wayne was some pretty good writing. The story of Matches Malone goes to show that there is much more to right and wrong in Gotham than everything just being black and white.

I personally do not like the two villains used in both story arcs in this book. I am not a fan of the Ventriloquist as well as Clayface. I personally think they are lame villain
Tabitha
Some early writing from a new favorite of mine, Mr. Brian K Vaughan. So far I haven't come across anything of his that I haven't loved. It was awesome to see what he could do with Batman, Wonder Woman and some of the villains.
Kit
Hilariously weird WW story aside, a pretty fun and solid collection that goes into Matches Malone (aww yiss) and Bruce's trouble with keeping his sense of self.
Seth
Definitely not Vaughan's best work. But it was nice to read a couple Batman stories with the lesser villains of Gotham and let's not Clayface V Wonder Woman. Nothing like a Clay Facial!
Jason
Decent collection of BKV's early stuff. I went in with low expectations and they were more than adequately exceeded.
Sean
Sep 24, 2013 Sean rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Batman or Wonder Woman Completists
I'm a huge Brian K. Vaughan fan but this was not his best work. In fact, it might be some of his worst. I have never cared for Bruce Wayne's portrayal of Matches Malone and this story was all about Matches in the past and present. Unfortunately, it was forced and unnatural. It was not helped by Nightwing's over-protectiveness of Batman, especially considering everything they've both been through. The art by Scott McDaniel didn't fit the storyline very well at all. The second half of the book inv ...more
Jake
I know that this was Brian K. Vaughan's early DC work, and I know he's talented. But this was pretty amateur. It was all tell and no show. Characters spoke long sentences to explain what had happened, but it sounded like rough draft narrative. Batman says and does things here that he never would, which is frustrating, since he's a character that abides by his own rules of existence harder than anyone. It just felt like it needed an editor. A good editor before going to print would have been a so ...more
Jerry Daniels
What makes this compilation of stories in Batman: False Faces a good read is that the theme across most of them, four in all, is consistent. In one series of stories, the Dark Knight impersonates a presumed dead crony to get the goods on the Ventriloquist and his alter ego, Scarface, and that act comes with an unexpected consequence. In another story, probably my favorite of the four, Batman foe Clayface goes after Wonder Woman, a plot that plays on the heroine's back story to make it as much a ...more
Hannah Givens
Contains a great three-issue Matches Malone story.
Dawn Rutherford
Ok, but not great. I had higher hopes for this author.
Dean

The stories in this collection are very early in Brian Vaughns career, and it shows. He's a great writer, but here is learning his craft. For me, the story ideas were better than the finished article - I liked the Matches Malone idea, the Clayface/ Wonder Woman idea etc but the final product was a little week.
I also found the art wanting, and from a couple of artists I usually like - Scott Kolins and Rick Burchett.
So, not terrible, but average, from a writer who would produce a LOT better. borr
Ryan Mishap
Early stories that reflect inexperience--the writing just isn't up to snuff. Wonder Woman...she's been spun so many ways--retrograde pin-up warrior or strong woman icon or whatever in-between--but she suffers the fate of so many superheroes: a very dumb costume and origin story. I was never a comic book nerd, so I don't have any nostalgia for all the crappy super-heroes the hacks came up with just to move print and make money (I only have love for one superhero hacks came up with to move print a ...more
This collection of Vaughan's early DC works are interesting, but more to show how far he has come. The Batman story about "Matches" Maloney was very interesting and adds something new and interesting to the Batman mythology, but wasn't superbly written. The Wonder Woman story was also quite poor in writing quality, to be honest. The final short story, "Skullduggery" was great. So all in all, a mixed bag. Great for fans of Vaughan to see how far he has come, but nothing earth shattering for non-V ...more
Mark
Three stories in this book with one Wonder Woman story and two from Batman.

First, Batman must solve the murder of his own alias and then Batman fights dragons from wonderland.

Wonder Woman faces a beast trying to steal her ancient clay.

Good art with stories going from excellent, to good to fair.

Notes
Nightwing lends a hand.

Learning Curve
Low: Good for new readers.
Avradeep Sinha
Not the best of Brian Vaughan's works. This consists of 3 stories, 2 of them featuring Batman and one involving Wonder Woman and Clayface. 2 out of 3 stories were good, the first one had another known character Matches Malone along with the villains.
Michelle
2 1/2 stars. Nothing earth-shattering in this, but the Matches Malone/Ventriloquist story was pretty good. I really like the Ventriloquist for some reason.

The story with the Mad Hatter made me want to watch the animated series!
Noah Soudrette
This is some very early work from Brian K. Vaughan. It's mostly disposable, but I quite liked the Mad Hatter story and the idea of Wonder Woman (being made of clay), going up against Clayface. Overall, however, nothing to write home about.
Martin
Some early BKV; obviously not his best work, but still more readable than some of what passes for good comics nowadays. Recommended for fans of Vaughan and/or Batman. Or Matches Malone, for that matter.
Tammy
Early Vaughan is fun, especially in Batman form. In his intro, Vaughan points out that as he reread these stories, he noticed how interested he was, even then, in questions of identity, and he's not wrong.
Timo
The two Batman stories were sheer brilliance, the Wonder Woman story was a bit stupid and the Joker one had way too much words.
Hints of great thinks to come by mr. Vaughan were to be seen.

Timo
  • Batman: War Games, Act 3: Endgame
  • Batman: Hush Returns
  • Batman: Private Casebook
  • Batman: Gotham Underground
  • Batman: Bruce Wayne, Fugitive, Vol. 3
  • Batman: Contagion
  • Batman: Sword of Azrael
  • Batman: As the Crow Flies (Batman Beyond)
  • Batman: The Black Glove
  • Year One: Batman/Ra's al Ghul
  • Batman: Face the Face
  • Batman: Arkham Reborn
  • Batman: Year Two: Fear the Reaper
Born in Cleveland in 1976, Brian K. Vaughan is the Eisner, Harvey, and Shuster Award-winning writer and co-creator of the critically acclaimed comics series Y: The Last Man, Runaways, and Ex Machina (picked as one of the ten best works of fiction of 2005 by Entertainment Weekly).

Recently named "Writer of the Year" by Wizard Magazine, and one of the “top ten comic writers of all time” by Comic Boo
More about Brian K. Vaughan...

Batman (1 - 10 of 367 books)
  • The Batman Chronicles, Vol. 1
  • The Batman Chronicles, Vol. 7
  • The Batman Chronicles, Vol. 8
  • The Batman Chronicles, Vol. 9
  • The Batman Chronicles, Vol. 10
Y: The Last Man, Vol. 1: Unmanned (Y: The Last Man, #1) Saga, Volume 1 Saga #1 Saga, Volume 2 Y: The Last Man, Vol. 2: Cycles (Y: The Last Man, #2)