Start by marking “Batman: False Faces” as Want to Read:
Batman: False Faces

Batman: False Faces (Batman)

Don't miss this hard-hitting volume from award-winning writer Brian K. Vaughan (EX MACHINA, Y: THE LAST MAN, Lost), collecting Batman #588-590, Detective Comics #787, Wonder Woman #160-161 and Batman Gotham City Secret Files! In the first of these tales of the DCU, Bruce Wayne adopts the guise of Matches Malone — the seedy identity he uses to infiltrate the Gotham underwor ...more
Published February 17th 2009 by DC Comics (first published February 6th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Batman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Batman

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
I actually read this a while ago, but forgot to mark it read on Goodreads. It was pretty good. I ship Batman and Wonder Woman, so it was nice to see them team up on a case in this. Unfortunately, I don't remember a lot of this, so I'll just have to leave it at I enjoyed it. :)
Chris
Oct 28, 2015 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dc-pre-new-52
False Faces collects a handful of early work by acclaimed writer Brian K. Vaughan and while his storytelling skills were still developing at this point, the combination of his narrative ideas and great artwork make this a recommended read.

My favourite story was the three-part tale that focused on the identities of Batman, Bruce Wayne and Matches Malone. The psychological aspects of the story ran a lot deeper than I was expecting and having a well-written Nightwing and Oracle in the supporting ca
Blindzider
Mar 07, 2017 Blindzider rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
2.5 Stars

According to the preface of this book this is a collection of stories from very early in BKV's career. The first is a three parter about one of Batman's underworld identities, Matches Malone. I'm not sure if this has become canon but it was interesting to find out how Batman came by this identity. McDaniel's art is fine, but can be a little cartoony at times.

Another story pits Wonder Woman against Clayface, which BKV writes and I agree with, is an interesting match-up for the clay angle
Martin
Dec 08, 2012 Martin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Some early BKV; obviously not his best work, but still more readable than some of what passes for good comics nowadays. Recommended for fans of Vaughan and/or Batman. Or Matches Malone, for that matter.
Sean
Aug 31, 2013 Sean rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Batman or Wonder Woman Completists
I'm a huge Brian K. Vaughan fan but this was not his best work. In fact, it might be some of his worst. I have never cared for Bruce Wayne's portrayal of Matches Malone and this story was all about Matches in the past and present. Unfortunately, it was forced and unnatural. It was not helped by Nightwing's over-protectiveness of Batman, especially considering everything they've both been through. The art by Scott McDaniel didn't fit the storyline very well at all. The second half of the book inv ...more
Chris Walker
Normally I love Brian K. Vaughan, but man, this collection of short comic stories (two Batman stories, a Wonder Woman story, and the introduction of a Batman villain) might be the worst thing of his I've ever read. The stories are lighthearted and quick, which is actually kind of a nice change from the typically brooding, super serious Batman of the last few decades. However, Vaughan's writing is overly wordy and heavy-handed, and his depiction of Batman feels very paint-by-numbers. There's noth ...more
Mat Brewster
Some old Brian K Vaughan super hero stories before he went on to create his own material. It is two separate stories, one Batman the other Wonder Woman. The Batman one is good with the Caped Crusader taking on a false identity (another one) to better understand the criminal underworld). I'm not overly familiar with Wonder Woman other than her sort-of cultural resonance so I'm not the best judge of her comics. But I liked it. More or less.
Josh McInnis
Interesting but nothing stand out ish. I expected a ww and batman team up.
Alesia
Nov 10, 2016 Alesia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this author. Really enjoyed this story of batman!
Brian
Mar 20, 2017 Brian rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, fiction, m
This is by far the worst BKV book I've ever read. At best these are boring, generic Batman tales; at worst, they're reductive and unoriginal. Do not recommend.
Travis
These are stories from the brilliant Brian K. Vaughan, author of Y: The Last Man and Ex Machina among other works. These are some his earliest comic book issues, though, and are self-admittedly not as good as his later stuff. In Vaughan's introduction to the volume he says the reader can see him growing up in the stories. There are several ham-fisted moments, such as an over-explanation by Batman about missing a clue supposedly to ensure the reader that the author was not too stupid. I'm also no ...more
Jim
False Faces collects Brian K. Vaughan's early work for DC Comics. If you haven't read Vaughn's stuff, you're really missing out. Pride of Baghdad is a beautiful work, and Ex Machina is a  totally different, fascinating, and altogether amazing take in the superhero genre. Mixed with politics. (He was also one of the writers on the TV show, Lost.)

Anyway, False Faces collects a few of his early great stories relating to identity.  "Close Before Striking" delves into Batman's alter ego of marched Ma
Brad
May 27, 2008 Brad rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Brian K Vaughn completists
Shelves: comics, dc
Brian K. Vaughan's written lots of great stuff for DC and Marvel, but these stories were written before all those. As you'd guess, it doesn't measure up to his great runs on Y: The Last Man, Ex Machina or Ultimate X-Men, but it isn't complete drivel. At least not all of it is.
The strongest story is "Mimsy Were the Borogoves," a single-issue story highlighting Batman's villain Mad Hatter that makes great use of C.S. Lewis' nonsense poem The Jabberwocky. And Man-Bat.
The weakest story is a two
Christopher
This book was ok. The first of the two story arcs in this book was pretty good. The story of Matches Malone and the impact this bad guy had on Bruce Wayne was some pretty good writing. The story of Matches Malone goes to show that there is much more to right and wrong in Gotham than everything just being black and white.

I personally do not like the two villains used in both story arcs in this book. I am not a fan of the Ventriloquist as well as Clayface. I personally think they are lame villain
Bryce Wilson
Apr 26, 2008 Bryce Wilson rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Brian K. Vaughn is the Tarintino of Comic Books. A writer with a sharp ear for dialogue, a pungent sense of style, and an almost preternatural skill for subverting genre tropes while still paying them off.

This is his Four Rooms.

It's not that it's bad, just a bit uninspired. And it definitely counts on the reader knowing a shitload about The DCU which is something of a stumbling block for a casual reader like myself. The one story that is the exception to the rule is just well, kind of fucking s
Jake
Jun 03, 2012 Jake rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I know that this was Brian K. Vaughan's early DC work, and I know he's talented. But this was pretty amateur. It was all tell and no show. Characters spoke long sentences to explain what had happened, but it sounded like rough draft narrative. Batman says and does things here that he never would, which is frustrating, since he's a character that abides by his own rules of existence harder than anyone. It just felt like it needed an editor. A good editor before going to print would have been a so ...more
Ryan Mishap
Jul 01, 2010 Ryan Mishap rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: batman-et-al
Early stories that reflect inexperience--the writing just isn't up to snuff. Wonder Woman...she's been spun so many ways--retrograde pin-up warrior or strong woman icon or whatever in-between--but she suffers the fate of so many superheroes: a very dumb costume and origin story. I was never a comic book nerd, so I don't have any nostalgia for all the crappy super-heroes the hacks came up with just to move print and make money (I only have love for one superhero hacks came up with to move print a ...more
Jerry Daniels
What makes this compilation of stories in Batman: False Faces a good read is that the theme across most of them, four in all, is consistent. In one series of stories, the Dark Knight impersonates a presumed dead crony to get the goods on the Ventriloquist and his alter ego, Scarface, and that act comes with an unexpected consequence. In another story, probably my favorite of the four, Batman foe Clayface goes after Wonder Woman, a plot that plays on the heroine's back story to make it as much a ...more
This collection of Vaughan's early DC works are interesting, but more to show how far he has come. The Batman story about "Matches" Maloney was very interesting and adds something new and interesting to the Batman mythology, but wasn't superbly written. The Wonder Woman story was also quite poor in writing quality, to be honest. The final short story, "Skullduggery" was great. So all in all, a mixed bag. Great for fans of Vaughan to see how far he has come, but nothing earth shattering for non-V ...more
Dean
Aug 05, 2012 Dean rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

The stories in this collection are very early in Brian Vaughns career, and it shows. He's a great writer, but here is learning his craft. For me, the story ideas were better than the finished article - I liked the Matches Malone idea, the Clayface/ Wonder Woman idea etc but the final product was a little week.
I also found the art wanting, and from a couple of artists I usually like - Scott Kolins and Rick Burchett.
So, not terrible, but average, from a writer who would produce a LOT better. borr
Ari
Sep 13, 2015 Ari rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jason
Aug 02, 2016 Jason rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I love all of Brian K Vaughan's creator owned content, but this was just really boring. The Batman stories felt like one of those one off comics they put in between stories as filler when they are running behind schedule. Also the art was sub par. The proportion in all the action frames was distractingly off. The Wonder Woman story wasn't bad. All in all though, I'd recommend giving this trade a pass.
quinnster
Three short and unrelated stories all centered around identity. Batman's, Bruce Wayne's, the villains and those around them. I expected a little more being Brian K. Vaughn, but it is his earlier stuff. I did feel like it was written for a younger set, especially the artwork, it had a more cartoony look to it. I guess I'm just used to the darker Batman books.
Mark
Apr 14, 2012 Mark rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, batman
Three stories in this book with one Wonder Woman story and two from Batman.

First, Batman must solve the murder of his own alias and then Batman fights dragons from wonderland.

Wonder Woman faces a beast trying to steal her ancient clay.

Good art with stories going from excellent, to good to fair.

Notes
Nightwing lends a hand.

Learning Curve
Low: Good for new readers.
Micah Siegmund
A compilation of earlier Batman stories written by Brian K. Vaughan, who went on to write some great books like Ex Machina, Pride of Baghdad and Y: The Last Man. These are all decent stories with varying levels of art. Solid writing and worthwhile additions to the Batman mythos, but nothing really groundbreaking. Hints of talent that would be realized later.
Gabriel
Jan 08, 2010 Gabriel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Batman enthusiasts
This graphic novel was a page-turner & I really enjoyed it. The author delves deep into the psyche of Bruce Wayne/The Batman as he battles both his long time foes as well as his inner demons. I was sad to see the story end, & that hasn't happened a lot lately when I read books/comics/graphic novels.
Avradeep Sinha
Not the best of Brian Vaughan's works. This consists of 3 stories, 2 of them featuring Batman and one involving Wonder Woman and Clayface. 2 out of 3 stories were good, the first one had another known character Matches Malone along with the villains.
Tammy
Apr 12, 2011 Tammy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011
Early Vaughan is fun, especially in Batman form. In his intro, Vaughan points out that as he reread these stories, he noticed how interested he was, even then, in questions of identity, and he's not wrong.
Noah Soudrette
This is some very early work from Brian K. Vaughan. It's mostly disposable, but I quite liked the Mad Hatter story and the idea of Wonder Woman (being made of clay), going up against Clayface. Overall, however, nothing to write home about.
Madison Mega-Mara...: False Faces by Brian K. Vaughan 1 3 May 31, 2012 10:29PM
  • Batman: Face the Face
  • Batman and Robin, Volume 5: The Big Burn
  • Teen Titans, Vol. 4: The Future is Now
  • Batman: Arkham Reborn
Born in Cleveland in 1976, Brian K. Vaughan is the Eisner, Harvey, and Shuster Award-winning writer and co-creator of the critically acclaimed comics series Y: The Last Man, Runaways, and Ex Machina (picked as one of the ten best works of fiction of 2005 by Entertainment Weekly).

Recently named "Writer of the Year" by Wizard Magazine, and one of the “top ten comic writers of all time” by Comic Boo
More about Brian K. Vaughan...

Batman (1 - 10 of 367 books)
  • The Batman Chronicles, Vol. 1