Start by marking “RASL, Vol. 1: The Drift (RASL, #1)” as Want to Read:
RASL, Vol. 1: The Drift (RASL, #1)

RASL, Vol. 1: The Drift (RASL #1)

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  1,178 ratings  ·  138 reviews
Rasl rockets "drifts" to alternate realities, steals art to fund "distractions" (drink, drugs, whore girlfriend Annie) for damage caused. But lizard-head agent Pal kills Annie in not-Dylan world, and threatens the real girl unless Rasl brings Tesla's lost notebooks, found with childhood pal Miles. Rasl slept with Miles' wife Maya, arm tattoo. From cartoons. Continues.
Published November 1st 2010 by Cartoon Books (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about RASL, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about RASL, Vol. 1

Saga, Volume 1 by Brian K. VaughanScott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life by Bryan Lee O'MalleyBone by Jeff SmithFlutter, Vol. 1 by Jennie WoodUsagi Yojimbo, Vol. 1 by Stan Sakai
Best Independent Graphic Novels.
36th out of 180 books — 136 voters
Saga, Volume 1 by Brian K. VaughanThe Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil GaimanFables, Vol. 1 by Bill WillinghamY by Brian K. VaughanRat Queens, Vol. 1 by Kurtis J. Wiebe
Supernatural (Not Superhero) Comics
38th out of 124 books — 57 voters

More lists with this book...

William Thomas
Re-title this book 'Quantum Pulp Fiction' or 'Harboiled Sliders' or... ahh, just leave it the way it is, Jeff Smith knows what he's doing.

Rasl is a very serious departure from 'Bone'. It has mature content, is intended for mature audiences, all of the TVMA ratings would apply here except for gratuitous nudity. There's murder, theft, swearing, boozing, sex, and science-fiction. A damn good combination all around. The build-up is slow, but once it gets moving it won't stop. It becomes a perpetual
Randy Lander
Jeff Smith returns to long-form comics after the success of Scholastic's Color Editions of Bone, with something quite different. It's a sci-fi noir tale, incorporating elements of Meso-American folklore, quantum physics and dimension travel and good old fashioned bad guys with guns. His protagonist is a hard-drinking art thief with a taste for the ladies, and the ability to travel dimensions to steal alternate world art.

With only three issues collected in this first collection, there's still a l
Matt
Aug 08, 2012 Matt rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: rasl
Jeff Smith's Bone was simply amazing, and RASL is every bit as good. Smith does the same thing he did at the beginning of Bone and throws the reader in the deep end, allowing us to catch up with the story as events unfold, which is always a more rewarding experience than getting everything spoonfed to us, and also makes rereading the story a more desirable experience. Smith's cartoony style does seem at odds with the dark tone of RASL, though it begins to cohere better as the story moves along. ...more
Seth Hahne
In the 1990s I stepped away from comics for a while. Not entirely, sure, but I did stem my weekly habit of visiting my local supplier every Wednesday to pick through the new releases. I got kind of burnt out on the whole scene during that era. To fill the narrative hole left by my newfound and half-hearted abstinence, I turned to film.

RASL by Jeff Smith
[Hey there.]

The '90s were when it became more common for films to appear on VHS mere months after cinematic release—and at a reasonable price too!1 Then came DVD a
Ren the Unclean
This book seems like it has a lot of potential, but gets off to a stumbling start. It is about a guy who has these jet engines that allow him to travel to different dimensions. This is, obviously, a cool premise, but Smith doesn't really do very interesting things with it (at least in this first volume).

Maybe it is just because this is sort of establishing what is going on with the story, but the story itself is somewhat disjointed. It is fairly action packed, as Rasl is jumping between at leas
Julie
Pretty slow moving (although there is a lot of "action" - shooting, death, time traveling through alternate world vortexes) for a first installment. I didn't get a good enough sense of the "rules" or understanding of the character to have any interest in reading the rest of the series. It's clear Smith is trying very hard to move beyond Bone, his previous juvenile comic series, but the "adult content" in RASL often feels forced. Shame.
Rick
Feb 01, 2009 Rick rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics
The long awaited new series by the creator of the popular all-ages Bone chronicles, the mature audiences science fiction tale Rasl centers around the eponymous dimension-hopping thief. Drawn in Smith's trademark clean, cartoony style, Rasl Volume 1: The Drift entertains and thrills while introducing a complex, interesting tale. Sadly, the volume is all too short, leaving the reader unsatisfied and yearning for more of what promises to be an excellent adventure tale.
Ctgt
Feel in love with Smith reading the Bone series and his style continues here although the subject matter is much more adult. Parallel world jumping, Nicola Tesla, and Smith's line art. What's not to love?
Matej
If sci-fi mystery with noir elements is up your alley, than this book just might be for you.
Jeff Smiths writing is pretty top notch, as usual, and his art is good, but not as superb as in the Bone series.
The only downside is that it is a really quick read, maybe even too quick.
All in all, a great first volume, that leaves you wanting more.
Diana Welsch
Rasl is a suspenseful science fiction/action/romance graphic novel by Jeff Smith, the creator of Bone. In this volume, the reader is introduced to Rasl, an art thief who has a machine that lets him hop into parallel universes.

Rasl used to be a respected scientist, working at a government compound. He and his childhood friend are trying to use the ideas of Nikola Tesla to certain ends. When Rasl and his friend have a falling out over an invention that has the capacity, if used in a certain way, t
Tommy
I loved the entire "Bone" series, including "Rose," and the short stories featuring that world and those characters. I read some good reviews of this new series, so I gave it a try. I liked it, but there's not enough that happens in the first volume to make me LOVE it, yet. Only one bizarre humanoid creature, and unfortunately lots of desert backgrounds. Which I find boring. Don't need to see flat horizons and cactus. Smith is such a great artist, conveying so much with clear simple lines, but I ...more
Sasha Didkovsky
Hello again!
I haven’t actually finished “Flowers for Algernon” yet, but I’ll review this book anyway just so you have something new. I’m reading the graphic novel RASL by Jeff Smith, the creator of the Bone series. It’s about a man named Rasl who has discovered a way to drift between different dimensions using electromagnetic fields. He travels through different dimensions and steals great works of art. Everything is going fine, until one day he’s attacked by a man who has a lizard-like face.
Pamela
I'm wiffle-waffling between 2 and 3 goodreads stars for this one. I ended up picking 2, because more things bothered me here than pleased me.

First of all, let me admit, to my shame, I have not yet read Bone (I will! I promise!), but I know it's pretty epic and I have respect for Jeff Smith. So I figured I'd give this a shot.

The storyline is interesting enough, although I don't think that Rasl/Rob (the protagonist) quite fits into the mold of antihero, which is what I think Smith was going for he
[Name Redacted]
Who is Jeff Smith? Why, he's the genre-defining/-revolutionizing artist and author behind the decade-long graphic novel magnum opus Bone -- a work that paid tribute to everyone from Carl Barks to J.R.R. Tolkien, from Bill Watterson to Robert E. Howard.

What is "RASL"? Well, it's a four-volume sci-fi noir graphic novel. It's Jeff Smith trying something completely different and challenging himself as an artist and a writer. It's a tribute to Nikolai Tesla, the Manhattan Project, conspiracy theories
Erik Erickson
Jan 25, 2009 Erik Erickson rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Jeff Smith fans
Having read Bone a few years ago (and it being as great as everyone said), and only knowing about his run on Shazam, I was surprised to see a new Jeff Smith graphic novel at my local comics shop the other day. I purchased it immediately, wondering how an adult "sci-fi/noir" would be from him.

I am intrigued by this story, particularly the Nikola Tesla bits (who I am fascinated with) and certainly curious about the developments to come in the next volume (no idea how long this is supposed to run)
Andy
Jeff Smith has given us just enough to whet our appetites in RASL. This oversized softcover volume contains the first 3 issues of his long-awaited second comic book series. (His first series, "Bone," was award-winning and best-selling.) RASL is the tale of a one-time scientist turned art thief, Robert. Using a machine he helped design he jumps dimensions to ply his trade. However, he’s being hunted by a lizard-faced man who is connected with the mysterious organization, “The Compound.”

These brie
Jdetrick
Such an interesting follow up to Bone and I give Jeff Smith a lot of credit for going in a completely different direction. The oversized nature of the work allows the art to really breathe and the presentation of the material is stunning. I can't say the plot or characters are as striking as we had in Bone, but it's definitely worth a read.
Pturingan
I normally don't like alternate-dimension (or time-travel) stories but I'm intrigued enough by the start of this series to keep on reading at least up to the next two volumes or so. Also, since it's by Jeff Smith, creator of the excellent Bone series, I think it's safe to give this the benefit of the doubt. Bring on the next volume.
Garrett
I didn't know that Jeff Smith had another project besides Bone until I watched "The Cartoonist," and then one of the folks from the library with good taste recommended this. Filled to the brim with weirdness, sexual tension, Tesla, violence and pseudo-science, I am interested and will read more.

Thanks, Jamal.
matt
I can't help but mention "Bone" (Smith's popular epic all-ages comic) -but I think that is okay, because perhaps this work is a response to "Bone". It seems at times like Smith is trying too hard to be edgy and "adult" in RASL -and that it doesn't come as naturally to him as the lighter tone of his previous work.
I think the artwork is great - but it's funny b/c the heads look too big on a few of the characters, which seems like a habit he may have picked up from drawing Bone all those years.
I lo
Fantasy Literature
RASL by Jeff Smith — available in four paperback volumes — is a fifteen-issue story that recently took me by complete surprise. However, I should have known how good it would be: Smith's well-known comic Bone — an epic work of fantasy for all ages — is one of the great contemporary comic classics. However, I must warn fans of Jeff Smith and Bone that RASL is not a book for kids. Please do not pick this one up for little Johnnie's next birthday gift. You'll have a lot of explaining to do — from t ...more
Blake Adamson
This could undoubtedly be considered the polar opposite of Jeff Smith's classic Bone. Whereas Bone was a child-friendly Tolkien fantasy, RASL is an adult post-9/11 Science Fiction thriller that reads more like a Vertigo comic. The main character, a dimension hopping art thief named RASL, is on the run from some extremely dangerous people, for past actions that are revealed over the course of this and the next three volumes. Also intertwined in this tale are references to Nikola Tesla & Thoma ...more
Saila
Toivottavasti tämä kirjasarja saadaan joskus Suomeenkin! Jeff Smith on tullut tunnetuksi Bone-adventures -sarjakuvastaan (suomeksi Luupäät), joka on hauska, mutta synkkiä sävyjä saava fantasiasarja. Rasl on kuitenkin aikuisempaa scifiä, johon tiukan mustavalkoinen piirrostyyli tuo film noir -tunnelmaa.

Kirjassa Rasl, synkkä kaveri, liikkuu useiden meidän todellisuudellemme vaihtoehtoisten maailmojen välillä, ja varastaa taidetta elääkseen. Hän saa kuitenkin kannoilleen liskonaamaisen pahiksen, j
Kyle Garret
Jeff Smith proves just how talented he is with RASL. Not that we didn't already know he was a fantastic storyteller, but there was at least a little bit of a question as to how he would handle more mature content. The answer is that he handles it just as well as he handled the all ages adventures of Bone.

Smith tells us just enough to keep us involved in this first volume of RASL. The real stand out is his art. The over sized collected edition is the only way I can imagine reading this book, as i
Egan72
Excelente primer volumen de esta obra de Jeff Smith. Es una historia que mezcla ciencia ficción, novela negra y algo del universo de carretera que tantas veces hemos visto en el cine norteamericano.
Rex Hughes
Volume One is an excellent beginning to a more adult, gritty story from the "Bone" artist. Smith really whets your appetite for more parallel-dimension hopping from a very unusual art thief.
Susy
I am very intrigued - I can't wait to see what happens in vol. 2. I like the Tesla reference. I never read Bone but I'd say I was a little surprised by this book.
Kari Ramirez
Just not my thing.

After reading the entire Bone series this was....disappointing. The art just wasn't as rich and detailed as Bone and it wasn't really all that exciting to look at. And I just wasn't into the subject matter. Maybe because Tesla played such a big part and there was SO MUCH EXPLAING I just couldn't get into it. Not that I don't think Tesla is cool, but Odd Apocalypse was all about Tesla too and I'm just a little burnt out at this point.

I'm not sure if I'll read the last one. I got
Michael
You’d think a story about a reality hopping art thief would be complicated but Jeff Smith has created a tight minimalist comic.

The art is simple but expressive monochrome black and white. The story is light on exposition but discovering who RASL is and how the plot comes together is part of the enjoyment of the comic. The black and white imagery and gritty narrative creates a very noir-ish feel the book.

It’s worth noting that this edition was one of the oversized “Giant Artist Editions” and I h
Ryan
I loved the Bone books so I had high expectations for this graphic novel. Unfortunately, the only thing Jeff Smith delivered was a poo-poo platter. While I'd give him five stars for the concept and four for the story, the characters (unlike the polished cartoony Bone art) looked like he'd drawn them at three in the morning while drunk off his rear end. (Only two stars for the fifth-grader art.) As for moral content: one star. This book is definitely not for kids. On the back cover, one review sa ...more
  • Hopeless Savages: Greatest Hits 2000-2010
  • Daisy Kutter: The Last Train
  • Echo, Volume 1: Moon Lake
  • B.P.R.D., Vol. 4: The Dead (B.P.R.D., #4)
  • When David Lost His Voice
  • Essex County Vol. 2: Ghost Stories (Essex County, #2)
  • Prophet, Volume 1: Remission
  • Revolver
  • Whatever Happened to the World of Tomorrow?
  • Zot!: The Complete Black-and-White Collection: 1987-1991
  • Wizzywig: Portrait of a Serial Hacker
  • Lost Cat
  • Goliath
  • Fear Agent, Volume 1: Re-Ignition
  • Richard Stark’s Parker: The Outfit
  • Mr. Mendoza's Paintbrush
  • Courtney Crumrin and the Coven of Mystics (Courtney Crumrin, #2)
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the GoodReads database with this name. See other authors with similar names.

Born and raised in the American mid-west, Jeff Smith learned about cartooning from comic strips, comic books, and watching animation on TV. In 1991, he launched a company called Cartoon Books to publish his comic book BONE, a comedy/adventure about three lost cousins from B
More about Jeff Smith...

RASL (4 books)
  • RASL, Vol. 2: The Fire of St. George (RASL, #2)
  • RASL, Vol. 3: Romance at the Speed of Light (RASL, #3)
  • RASL, Vol. 4: The Lost Journals of Nikola Tesla (RASL, #4)
Bone, Vol. 1: Out from Boneville (Bone, #1) Bone Bone, Vol. 4: The Dragonslayer (Bone, #4) Bone, Vol. 2: The Great Cow Race (Bone, #2) Bone, Vol. 9: Crown of Horns (Bone #9)