Start by marking “Hot Damn!: Alligators in the Casino, Nude Women in the Grass, How Seashells Changed the Course of History, and Other Dispatches from Paradise” as Want to Read:

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  56 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
James W. Hall is the critically acclaimed author of eleven crime novels, including Body Language and Blackwater Sound. He's also published four books of poetry. And several of his short stories have appeared in magazines like the Georgia Review and Kenyon Review.

Now, writing in the spirit of Dave Barry and Garrison Keillor, Hall wins a new kind of reader with this collecti
Published June 16th 2003 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Hot Damn!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hot Damn!

Mauoijenn ~ *Mouthy Jenn* ~
Fun little stories.
If you're not from Florida or spent significant time there, you might feel left out.
Aug 07, 2011 Sarah rated it it was ok
Near the end of my summer in Florida, I figured I better read this book before I left and could no longer relate. And that's the thing, if the reader is familiar with Florida, like, really familiar with it, not just "spent a week there on spring break" kind of familiar, then s/he may find this collection of essays amusing, touching, and worthwhile. If one is not familiar with Florida, I'm not sure I would recommend this.

The essays are diverse, but all reach only about 4 pages in length. This is
Alex DeBlois
Apr 20, 2012 Alex DeBlois rated it liked it
Essays are tricky. They often show a side of the author completely unrelated to the fiction they write. I have mixed feelings about how writers earn their living day-to-day and the novels they publish. Often they are so far removed, it's hard to keep my interest in the essays. Also they tend to be very provincial and timely as they are often originally consumed in a newspaper. Take the reader out of that time and away from the local knowledge the writer may presume and they become less interesti ...more
Drew
Mar 07, 2012 Drew rated it it was ok
I decided to finish this since I had finished what I was reading and wanted a little break before I started my next book. Some of these essays are excellent but many are just so-so. Hall is handicapped by covering the same territory as Dave Barry and Carl Hiaasen and it doesn't help that the book's cover promises more of their brand of south-Florida hilarity.
Vince Gotera
Dec 16, 2011 Vince Gotera rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If this isn't the funniest book I've ever read, it's darn close. No, it is the funniest book I've ever read. Period. Bar none. Check it out. Get it for people on your Christmas or holiday list. Whatever. Your friends and relatives will love you for it.
Marc
Jul 04, 2016 Marc rated it liked it
An enjoyable but immemorable compilation of articles written for the type of regional light-reading magazine that has been driven into irrelevance by blogs
Arlene Allen
Aug 19, 2011 Arlene Allen rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir-biography
1. I had James Hall as a teacher at FIU. 2. He has South Florida pegged. 3. He is funny as all hell.
Jen
Feb 03, 2010 Jen rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Denise Shereff
Aug 18, 2013 Denise Shereff rated it really liked it
A perfect Florida summer read!
skw
skw marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Daryl Swanson
Daryl Swanson rated it liked it
Jun 06, 2016
Scott Andrew
Scott Andrew marked it as to-read
May 10, 2016
Nancie Lafferty
Nancie Lafferty marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
TanyaB
TanyaB rated it liked it
Apr 03, 2016
Nancy S. Yates
Nancy S. Yates rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2016
Col
Col marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2016
Keith Sens
Keith Sens marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2015
John Boyd
John Boyd rated it it was ok
Nov 30, 2015
Marianne
Marianne rated it liked it
Jan 26, 2016
Sidney
Sidney added it
Oct 05, 2015
Lori
Lori rated it it was amazing
Sep 29, 2015
Sabrina Edmonston
Sabrina Edmonston rated it liked it
Apr 28, 2015
Marv
Marv marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Marylou Hess
Marylou Hess rated it it was amazing
Mar 07, 2015
Bruce Beck
Bruce Beck rated it really liked it
Feb 12, 2015
John Tomaszewski
John Tomaszewski rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2015
Brian
Brian rated it did not like it
Mar 03, 2015
Michelle Morgante
Michelle Morgante marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Joe Mcdaniel
Joe Mcdaniel marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »

James Wilson Hall is an Edgar and Shamus Award-winning author whose books have been translated into a dozen languages. He has written eighteen novels, four books of poetry, a collection of short stories, and a collection of He also won a John D. MacDonald Award for Excelle
More about James W. Hall...