Start by marking “The Wishing Game” as Want to Read:
The Wishing Game

The Wishing Game

Jonathan ist ein einsames Kind. In dem englischen Knabeninternat Kirkston Abbey fühlt er sich unglücklich, denn seine Klassenkameraden hänseln ihn wegen seiner einfachen Herkunft. Auch einzelne Lehrer finden, dass er an der exklusiven Schule nichts zu suchen hat; man schreibt das Jahr 1954, und die englische Oberschicht verteidigt unerbittlich ihre Privilegien. Nur allzu o ...more
Published October 1st 2003 by Simon & Schuster (Trade Division)

To ask other readers questions about The Wishing Game, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wishing Game

Bruno
Este cartucho manteve-me 100% agarrado desde o principio até ao fim, uma escrita que se lê sem esforços nem quebras, com uma forte carga psicológica capaz de nos chocar, que termina num final extremamente assustador!
Κώστας
Ένταση,Ταχυπαλμία,έξαψη,Αδρεναλίνη.
Θλίψη,συγκίνηση.
Φόβος,οργή,αγανάκτηση.

Η διαδοχική εναλλαγή όλων των παραπάνω συναισθημάτων δεν μου άφησαν περιθώρια.Πρόκειται για το καλύτερο,το πιο δυνατό βιβλίο που έχω διαβάσει ποτέ!!!Υποβάλλει τον αναγνώστη,κολλάει στα χέρια,μαγνητίζει στον κόσμο του όποιον αρέσκεται στα ψυχολογικά θρίλερ.

Δεν θα αναφερθώ στην πλοκή,πέραν του οπισθόφυλλου.
Αντ'αυτού παραθέτω κάποια επιλεγμένα αποσπάσματα από τον πρόλογο της μεταφράστριας Καίτης Οικονόμου:

"...Το Παιχνίδι των κ
Lia Panagiotidou
Jan 09, 2016 Lia Panagiotidou rated it it was amazing
Ένα βιβλίο που αξίζει να διαβαστεί από τους λάτρεις των "σκοτεινών" βιβλίων.... Άψογη σκιαγράφηση χαρακτήρων, πολλές δυνατές σκηνές, ζοφερή ατμόσφαιρα.... Εξαιρετικό!
Mircalla64 (free Liu Xiaobo)
intrigante e freudiano

tema abusato, ma raccontato con talento
due adolescenti che mettono in pratica la teoria freudiana della mancanza di innocenza nei giovani, se per Freud il bambino è un "perverso polimorfo" postulazione fatta con l'intento di spiegare le cose che non si potevano spiegare altrimenti mettendo così fine alle chiacchiere sulla presunta innocenza infantile, per Redmond i ragazzini sono il diavolo in persona, ma non un diavolo cattolico, piuttosto un demone composto per metà da ca
Sara
Apr 07, 2013 Sara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Davvero un bel romanzo! E dire che non l'avrei mai letto, se non lo avessi trovato per caso a un mercatino dell'usato...e ora invece sono curiosa di leggere altro di questo promettente scrittore.
"L'allievo" è un thriller psicologico che racconta la storia dell'amicizia morbosa tra due ragazzini molto diversi e l'effetto che può avere una mente "forte" su una mente debole. "L'allievo" parla di pazzia e lo fa con una maestria che spaventa e tiene incollati alle pagine. Sarà che a me i pazzi fanno
Julia
Apr 12, 2016 Julia rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2016
This book was ok. It wasn't bad, not at all, it was in fact very interesting. It's psychological, mystical, it is literally a Stephen King book. But it wasn't really an exciting book, I had a good time reading it, but this won't be one of those books that I will hold on to if you know what I mean.
So please don't put this book off just because I gave it 2 stars, but as the rating system goodreads says "it was ok".
Jo Ann
Aug 03, 2013 Jo Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I pulled this from my library's book shelf I really didn't expect much, but what a great surprise this one turned out to be. The story revolves around a group of British boarding school boys but it is not YA. It manages to stay suspenseful through its entirety. I thought the characters were very well created, and that Patrick Redmond did a wonderful job of nailing down adolescent behavior. This story sucked me in and didn't let go till the very end.

Shannon
Oct 06, 2011 Shannon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Shannon by: Walter
This book made me SO ANGRY! I hadn't read anything about the book before I started reading it so everything that happened was a total surprise to me. that's not to say the book wasn't REALLY good. I couldn't put it down. I was just angry with the characters. The story really grabs you and the characters and their relationships to one another are very interesting.
Dan
Sep 24, 2011 Dan rated it it was amazing
My grandmother recommended this book to me many years ago, and it is one of the very few books that I have read through virtually in one sitting - it really was that good. I still remember a particularly vivid scene near the end of the book where one of the characters looks at her husband and realises that he has lost his mind - truly gripping stuff...
Céline
Nov 15, 2016 Céline rated it really liked it
This book is just incredible... but I felt soooo bad while reading it that I can not give it 5 stars. It is difficult to put the book down as it goes so fast and you feet that your actually side by side with the characters.
Todos Mis Libros
Nov 24, 2015 Todos Mis Libros rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lo-tengo
Comencé la lectura de esta novela sin conocer demasiado sobre ella, tan solo algunas buenas recomendaciones por vuestra parte y la referencia de que era una novela de terror.
La verdad es que tras su lectura no considero que sea una lectura de terror al uso, más bien es terror psicológico y me llevé una sorpresa porque pensaba que era un tipo de terror con tintes paranormales.

Pero esta sorpresa no fue desagradable pues el resultado final ha sido una lectura bastante buena. Bien es verdad, que al
Ubik 2.0
Fronte del college

Ho trovato “L’allievo” di Patrick Redmond sopravvalutato e piuttosto deludente rispetto alle lodi sperticate di cui è stato oggetto.

Il punto è che forse ho letto troppi romanzi e visto troppi film ambientati in college inglesi (o americani) con personaggi stereotipati che puntualmente ricorrono a popolare le vecchie mura, in teoria deputate allo studio ma di fatto teatro di vicende adolescenziali di vario genere: solo poche settimane fa in un altro commento (Skippy muore di Pa
Sheepdog
Aug 26, 2015 Sheepdog rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paranormal
A very dark book... but subtly so.

There is a paranormal element... but only darkly hinted at until it comes forth unequivocally in the final pages. And even then, you are left "knowing", without having been told very bluntly.

Page after page of fairly normal story line of boys and the adults in an English boarding school. Unhappy boys, true, but this isn't "Oliver Twist". It is just a pretty frank look at the "normal" horrors of being a teenager.

Excellent "painting" of the ups and downs of who is
Novia
Sep 05, 2012 Novia rated it really liked it

In the bleak winter term, of 1954 something terrible happened at Kirkston Abbey for boys. Now, more than forty years later, journalist Tim Webber thinks he’s found the key to uncovering the truth. But is he prepared to live with the consequences…?

Strong blurb, don’t you think?

I read a review of this book long time ago, couldn’t remember where, all I can remember was that the reviewer thought that The Wishing Game was a great book. When I saw the book on secondhand bookstore, the memory of that
Naomi
Sep 18, 2016 Naomi rated it really liked it
Strange concept but very well executed.
Tanya Searle

The Wishing Game is set in an English all boy boarding school, where something is happening to a few of the year four boys.

There's the usual bullying and cliques, popular kids and loners. Jon and Nick are best friends, Richard is a loner, James is a bully.

When the dynamics begin to change, it's subtle at first.

Jon and Richard become friends, they spend their holiday together.

They find one of these...

... Then weird stuff starts happening.

There are accidents.

Jon and Richard's relationship is an u
Rebeca May
Jan 19, 2012 Rebeca May rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
El periodista Tim Webber investiga un viejo caso ocurrido en internado Kirkston Abbey, cuyas conclusiones policíacas dejaron cabos sueltos y curiosidades insatisfechas. En su investigación conoce a uno de aquellos chicos protagonistas quien habrá de contarle aquella historia que no debía ser contada.

Los protagonistas son Jonathan Palmer, tímido e influencibale, y Richard Rokeby, brillante y peligroso. Con un simple acto de amabilidad empieza una amistad peligrosa, que aleja a todos aquellos que
Nigel
May 16, 2015 Nigel rated it it was ok
Oh dear. I appear to be in the minority with this one.
After completing the first third of this book I truly believed I was reading a future classic, well written with excellent character formation and a pace that made me struggle to put down. Clunk! that was the first star disappearing with the introduction of a Ouija board at the start of the second section. I struggle with miracles, magic and mysticism outside of the fantasy genre,( Yeah, I know, that's just me) but it wasn't just that. Clunk!
Hannie
Jul 16, 2013 Hannie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ik heb dit boek al eens eerder gelezen, maar omdat ik niet meer wist hoe het ging, heb ik het opnieuw gelezen. Het boek draait om een jongen die op een kostschool zit. Het verhaal begint rustig, waarin veel uitgelegd wordt over het leven op een kostschool. Na mate het verhaal verder vordert gebeuren er steeds meer gruwelijke dingen. Ik kan daar niet te veel over vertellen, want dan zou ik een deel van het plot verklappen, maar de schrijver, Patrick Redmond, weet de spanning wel goed op te bouwen ...more
Arwen67
Mar 31, 2011 Arwen67 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Un thriller psicologico, orchestrato magistralmente, uno snodarsi di avvenimenti messi in moto dalla inquietante figura di un ragazzo quindicenne, apparentemente indipendente e solitario che attira, come un ragno nella sua tela, un altro ragazzo, preso invece di mira dai bulli della scuola per il suo carattere mite e per le sue modeste origini rispetto al target imposto dall'esclusivo college in cui sono iscritti.
I due diventano inseparabili, ma quando Jon si rende conto che l'amico gli sta face
Haleth
James
Jul 25, 2009 James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, gay-fiction
This is a powerful psychological thriller of haunting suspense. It is set in a private boys school, Kirkston Abbey, where conformity and control are enforced through harsh rules and savage discipline. To 14-year-old Jonathan Palmer, it is a prison; a world in which he feels threatened and powerless. When he is offered the chance of escape, in the guise of an unexpected friendship, he accepts it gladly. The friendship grows into something dangerous as their games lose their innocence. In combinin ...more
Cliff
May 14, 2016 Cliff rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Since I believe the continuation of the 'public' school system in England is part of the problems that bedevil this country (breeding an elite who look down on us 'oiks' - I know, I have suffered from it), I read this book with half an eye on the negatives of that system. Boys who have no escape during term time from possible persecutors (and adolescent boys can be horrible to those they perceive as different), the fagging system etc. The book turns on those subjects and then solves them in the ...more
Cathy
Jan 01, 2016 Cathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow - Something Dangerous is suspenseful, sinister and one of those books where I found myself holding my breath more often than is probably medically recommended. Set in an English boys' boarding school in the 1950's, Something Dangerous is a literary mashup of A Separate Peace, The Other and Lord of the Flies. Normally, stories that tread in the supernatural leave me feeling a bit wanting, as many authors seem to rely on unexplainable forces of evil to make sense of an otherwise inexplicable s ...more
Danielle
Hard Work!

For me, the story was slow until the last part of the novel. Characters weren't likable, believable or realistic. While it finished satisfactorily, the process was less enjoyable. The point of the reporter discovering this story and their thoughts on the end were irrelevant, Nicholas' character was boring, he was completely absent at the beginning of the story.

I personally didn't like this novel and while it wasn't written badly, it wasn't my style. Perhaps the main problem was the la
Certainshoes
Aug 25, 2011 Certainshoes rated it it was amazing
I absolutely LOVED this book! I dont even know how to explain this, I love Patrick Redmond, and the way he can develop the characters throughout the story, and he captures really well the insecurities of this characters (being adolescents) and the ambivalence of the choices they make.
It has become one of my favourite books, and i loved the twisted ending, and the two main characters, as well as the others, they all mean something.
I love the way he tells the story between innocence and something
katherine
Dec 29, 2013 katherine rated it really liked it
Un gran libro sobre terror psicológico.

Al principio se me hizo bastante lenta, y hasta en algunas partes sentí que narraba cosas que eran innecesarias, pero omitiendo eso,es uno de los mejores que leí.
Me fui enganchado con la lectura a eso de la mitad del libro y desde ahí no pude parar,tanto lo misterioso que era rockeby ( que en muchos casos me dieron ganas de revolear la computadora por esas actitudes tan malévolas que tenia con los demás )y la trama en si hicieron que no puede despegarme n
Jacqueline
Jul 06, 2012 Jacqueline rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mein absolutes Lieblingsbuch, die Handlung und vor allen dingen sein Schreibstil fesselt mich immer wieder, wenn ich dieses Buch aufschlage ( was ich immerschon 13 mal getan habe) und lassen es mich immer wieder in einem rutsch durchlesen. Grandios!
Das Buch spielt im Jahr 1954 in einem englischen Jungeninternat. Es geht dabei um eine langsam entstehende Freundschaft, die mit jeder Seite des Buches gefährlicher wird. Es geht um Hass, Wut und Manipulation.
Das großartige an diesem Buch finde ich je
Peter Burton
Dec 16, 2016 Peter Burton rated it liked it
Quite a good story.good characters,quite compelling but I didn't really buy the the idea of demonic involvement but worth a read.
Solim
Apr 20, 2014 Solim rated it really liked it
Very engaging book from start to finish. The way Redmond brings these characters to life is definitely going to make this book memorable. I don't think there was any filler or pointless/boring chapters and the suspense was never ending. I felt horrible for some of the characters and how they were treated and hated others but it seems that's what Redmond was aiming to do. What made me take a star off was the ending. I think the author could have delivered the twist a little differently to add a l ...more
  • Arnes Nachlaß
  • Chez Moi
  • The Leap
  • Das Druidentor
  • On Deconstruction
  • Wie die Tiere (Brenner, #5)
  • The Only Game
  • Der letzte seiner Art
Patrick Redmond is an English author of psychological thrillers; typical themes include insanity, secrets and death. He attended Felsted School, then studied law at Leicester University and British Columbia in Vancouver. Wikipedia
More about Patrick Redmond...