Media Virus!: Hidden Agendas in Popular Culture

Media Virus!: Hidden Agendas in Popular Culture

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  229 ratings  ·  6 reviews
The most virulent viruses today are composed of information. In this information-driven age, the easiest way to manipulate the culture is through the media. A hip and caustically humorous McLuhan for the '90s, culture watcher Douglas Rushkoff now offers a fascinating expose of media manipulation in today's age of instant information.
Published February 6th 1996 by Ballantine Books (first published 1994)

Matt
This book helped me to better understand the concept of the meme. I also appreciated the look at the "guerilla" media as well as the history of television daytime talk shows. Rushkoff gives a nice progression of how the medium started out as a serious look at current issues with a studio audience being allowed to interact with guests (think Donahue) and how it moved on to lose the intellect and zero in on entertainment (think Springer). Also, Rushkoff's theories on the subversive content in such...more
Jim Jewell
I read the hardcover in 1995, my first few months in Seattle, after it jumped off a library shelf at me. Changed my thinking in a dynamic and lasting way.

I dig Douglas, all of his stuff, unabashedly. He's not for everybody, as the parade of friends who returned this book to me unread will attest, but his style works for me and ideas appeal to me.
Kim
You can't hold its dated-ness against it. That said, the second half of the book did not hold up to the promise of the first half - he seems to lose his focus on the meme.
Frank
Read this awhile ago. It will probably read as very dated nowadays unless they've added some new material in the latest editions. Interesting reading nonetheless.
Captaine Hoo-hoo
Good preliminary guide to the realization that a lot of our thoughts aren't thoughts and aren't put there by our own doing...
Wayne Porter
Excellent text on the construction and dissection of media viruses and memetic propogation.
J C
J C marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Sylwia
Sylwia marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Nevilla
Nevilla marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Julian Patton
Julian Patton marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Ash
Ash marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Lucy
Lucy marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
red_shuheart
red_shuheart marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Herge2014
Herge2014 marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
Virginia Rand
Virginia Rand marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
Mark sulapas
Mark sulapas marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
April
April marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
Chi
Chi marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
Ayman Abdel
Ayman Abdel marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
  • Can't Buy My Love: How Advertising Changes the Way We Think and Feel
  • Nobrow: The Culture of Marketing + The Marketing of Culture
  • Poker Nation: A High-Stakes, Low-Life Adventure into the Heart of a Gambling Country
  • Katie.com: My Story
  • The Conquest of Cool: Business Culture, Counterculture, and the Rise of Hip Consumerism
  • The Discipline of Market Leaders: Choose Your Customers, Narrow Your Focus, Dominate Your Market
  • Trust Us, We're Experts PA: How Industry Manipulates Science and Gambles with Your Future
  • Branded: The Buying And Selling Of Teenagers
  • Enough: Discovering Joy Through Simplicity and Generosity
  • Toxic Sludge is Good For You: Lies, Damn Lies and the Public Relations Industry
  • The Great Political Theories, Volume 1
  • The Mind of the Market: Compassionate Apes, Competitive Humans, and Other Tales from Evolutionary Economics
  • Dictionary of Theories
  • Unhooked
  • Rebel Code: Linux And The Open Source Revolution
  • Design Drawing
  • Management Information Systems
  • Wonder Woman: The Complete History
Douglas Rushkoff is a New York-based writer, columnist and lecturer on technology, media and popular culture.
More about Douglas Rushkoff...
Life Inc.: How the World Became a Corporation and How to Take it Back Present Shock: When Everything Happens Now Program or Be Programmed: Ten Commands for a Digital Age Coercion: Why We Listen to What "They" Say Ecstasy Club