Start by marking “Media Virus!: Hidden Agendas in Popular Culture” as Want to Read:
Media Virus!: Hidden Agendas in Popular Culture

Media Virus!: Hidden Agendas in Popular Culture

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  254 ratings  ·  6 reviews
The most virulent viruses today are composed of information. In this information-driven age, the easiest way to manipulate the culture is through the media. A hip and caustically humorous McLuhan for the '90s, culture watcher Douglas Rushkoff now offers a fascinating expose of media manipulation in today's age of instant information.
Published February 6th 1996 by Ballantine Books (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Media Virus!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Media Virus!

Matt
This book helped me to better understand the concept of the meme. I also appreciated the look at the "guerilla" media as well as the history of television daytime talk shows. Rushkoff gives a nice progression of how the medium started out as a serious look at current issues with a studio audience being allowed to interact with guests (think Donahue) and how it moved on to lose the intellect and zero in on entertainment (think Springer). Also, Rushkoff's theories on the subversive content in such ...more
Jim Jewell
I read the hardcover in 1995, my first few months in Seattle, after it jumped off a library shelf at me. Changed my thinking in a dynamic and lasting way.

I dig Douglas, all of his stuff, unabashedly. He's not for everybody, as the parade of friends who returned this book to me unread will attest, but his style works for me and ideas appeal to me.
Kim
You can't hold its dated-ness against it. That said, the second half of the book did not hold up to the promise of the first half - he seems to lose his focus on the meme.
Frank
Read this awhile ago. It will probably read as very dated nowadays unless they've added some new material in the latest editions. Interesting reading nonetheless.
Captaine Hoo-hoo
Good preliminary guide to the realization that a lot of our thoughts aren't thoughts and aren't put there by our own doing...
Wayne Porter
Excellent text on the construction and dissection of media viruses and memetic propogation.
Alex Camarillo
Alex Camarillo marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2015
Natasha
Natasha marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2015
Lana Williams
Lana Williams marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
Cale
Cale marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2015
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2015
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Nicholas
Nicholas marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Rafael Aro,
Rafael Aro, marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
Ken Wright
Ken Wright marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
Susana789
Susana789 marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2015
Brandon
Brandon marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2015
Dylan Dubeau
Dylan Dubeau marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
  • Can't Buy My Love: How Advertising Changes the Way We Think and Feel
  • The Church of Facebook: How the Hyperconnected Are Redefining Community
  • Global Business Today
  • Marriable: Taking the Desperate Out of Dating
  • The Media Monopoly
  • Poker Nation: A High-Stakes, Low-Life Adventure into the Heart of a Gambling Country
  • Fundamentals of Human Resource Management
  • Nobrow: The Culture of Marketing + The Marketing of Culture
  • Development Economics
  • Katie.com: My Story
  • Dictionary of Theories
  • The Conquest of Cool: Business Culture, Counterculture, and the Rise of Hip Consumerism
  • Generation Hex: New Voices from Outside Reality
  • Trust Us, We're Experts PA: How Industry Manipulates Science and Gambles with Your Future
  • Branded: The Buying and Selling of Teenagers
  • Enough: Discovering Joy Through Simplicity and Generosity
  • Toxic Sludge is Good For You: Lies, Damn Lies and the Public Relations Industry
  • Rebel Code: Linux And The Open Source Revolution
Douglas Rushkoff is a New York-based writer, columnist and lecturer on technology, media and popular culture.
More about Douglas Rushkoff...
Present Shock: When Everything Happens Now Life Inc.: How the World Became a Corporation and How to Take it Back Program or Be Programmed: Ten Commands for a Digital Age Coercion: Why We Listen to What "They" Say Ecstasy Club