Start by marking “Media Virus!: Hidden Agendas in Popular Culture” as Want to Read:
Media Virus!: Hidden Agendas in Popular Culture

Media Virus!: Hidden Agendas in Popular Culture

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  244 ratings  ·  6 reviews
The most virulent viruses today are composed of information. In this information-driven age, the easiest way to manipulate the culture is through the media. A hip and caustically humorous McLuhan for the '90s, culture watcher Douglas Rushkoff now offers a fascinating expose of media manipulation in today's age of instant information.
Published February 6th 1996 by Ballantine Books (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Media Virus!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Media Virus!

Matt
This book helped me to better understand the concept of the meme. I also appreciated the look at the "guerilla" media as well as the history of television daytime talk shows. Rushkoff gives a nice progression of how the medium started out as a serious look at current issues with a studio audience being allowed to interact with guests (think Donahue) and how it moved on to lose the intellect and zero in on entertainment (think Springer). Also, Rushkoff's theories on the subversive content in such ...more
Jim Jewell
I read the hardcover in 1995, my first few months in Seattle, after it jumped off a library shelf at me. Changed my thinking in a dynamic and lasting way.

I dig Douglas, all of his stuff, unabashedly. He's not for everybody, as the parade of friends who returned this book to me unread will attest, but his style works for me and ideas appeal to me.
Kim
You can't hold its dated-ness against it. That said, the second half of the book did not hold up to the promise of the first half - he seems to lose his focus on the meme.
Frank
Read this awhile ago. It will probably read as very dated nowadays unless they've added some new material in the latest editions. Interesting reading nonetheless.
Captaine Hoo-hoo
Good preliminary guide to the realization that a lot of our thoughts aren't thoughts and aren't put there by our own doing...
Wayne Porter
Excellent text on the construction and dissection of media viruses and memetic propogation.
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Adrienne Leach
Adrienne Leach marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
Junaid Akram
Junaid Akram marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Leni
Leni marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Georgia
Georgia marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Samantha
Samantha marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Sári Halász
Sári Halász marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Jake
Jake marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
Maka Ghaniashvili
Maka Ghaniashvili marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2014
Prasetya
Prasetya marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
Saddam Siddiqui
Saddam Siddiqui marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
David Walsh
David Walsh marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
  • The Church of Facebook: How the Hyperconnected Are Redefining Community
  • Can't Buy My Love: How Advertising Changes the Way We Think and Feel
  • Marriable: Taking the Desperate Out of Dating
  • Nobrow: The Culture of Marketing + The Marketing of Culture
  • The Media Monopoly
  • Global Business Today
  • Poker Nation: A High-Stakes, Low-Life Adventure into the Heart of a Gambling Country
  • The Conquest of Cool: Business Culture, Counterculture, and the Rise of Hip Consumerism
  • Generation Hex: New Voices from Outside Reality
  • The Great Political Theories, Volume 1
  • Katie.com: My Story
  • Toxic Sludge is Good For You: Lies, Damn Lies and the Public Relations Industry
  • Dictionary of Theories
  • Trust Us, We're Experts PA: How Industry Manipulates Science and Gambles with Your Future
  • Branded: The Buying and Selling of Teenagers
  • Enough: Discovering Joy Through Simplicity and Generosity
  • Rebel Code: Linux And The Open Source Revolution
  • Pr!: A Social History Of Spin
Douglas Rushkoff is a New York-based writer, columnist and lecturer on technology, media and popular culture.
More about Douglas Rushkoff...
Present Shock: When Everything Happens Now Life Inc.: How the World Became a Corporation and How to Take it Back Program or Be Programmed: Ten Commands for a Digital Age Coercion: Why We Listen to What "They" Say Ecstasy Club