Start by marking “We Know What You Want: How They Change Your Mind” as Want to Read:
We Know What You Want: How They Change Your Mind

We Know What You Want: How They Change Your Mind

3.21  ·  Rating Details  ·  43 Ratings  ·  4 Reviews
In this handbook for locating the hidden sales messages that bombard us everyday, Martin Howard explains the new techniques that corporations are using to make subconscious approaches without your consent. It covers the five major zones where consumers are being confronted: in the retail shopping context, at major events and concerts, through information media, personal fr ...more
Published February 1st 2005 by The Disinformation Company

To ask other readers questions about We Know What You Want, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about We Know What You Want

Paul
Aug 06, 2007 Paul rated it it was amazing
The marketers and public relations firms of this world are constantly improving the myriad of ways they have to get inside your head and manipulate you to their way of thinking. This book looks at some of them.

Today’s supermarkets intentionally place popular items, like milk and bread, as far from the entrance as possible. That way, the shopper must pass all those impulse items at the end of each aisle. Also, they are subjected to muzak tracks that will cause them to ignore their shopping lists
Charlotte
Jan 04, 2012 Charlotte rated it did not like it
I thought this would be a non-fiction work of the standard format, but it seems to be more like a "Cliff Notes" version of "Coercion" by Douglas Rushkoff. Written as a series of bullet points, it presents key tactics for being a savvy consumer; however, nothing here would be considered very revelatory by most normally informed and educated people. I'm not sure who the target audience is: maybe high school teachers who are looking for ideas to incorporate into class discussions about social contr ...more
Gloria
Jan 08, 2011 Gloria rated it did not like it
Well... two stars I guess in that it made me aware of Doug Rushkoff's book Coercion as it is basically is a "visual" guide to his book. Which means that the designer took the book and made it more "user-friendly" and visual.

Really one star because I really found the design of the book obnoxious, confusing and not helpful at all. Page breaks were awkward, etc. (And of course, I am a designer who works with information and type, so one should expect some of this in my review....)

I will look at the
Anastasia
Mar 24, 2010 Anastasia rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Good start into researching the current tactics used by government, retail companies and the media to influence our buying and thinking behaviour. But, this is the sort of information that shouldn't be believed blindly and from reading one book.

I'm not sure how much of the information contained in the book is author's own words, most seem to be taken/quoted from other sources but I've yet to look through all the links provided in the book.

Docked a star because some links are no longer availabl
Josh
Josh rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2016
Nick
Nick rated it it was ok
May 08, 2016
Deepak Kadiyala
Deepak Kadiyala rated it liked it
Apr 19, 2016
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2016
Brooke
Brooke marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2015
Lovebooks
Lovebooks marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2015
Andrea
Andrea rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2016
Nick R.
Nick R. rated it liked it
Jul 05, 2015
Michael R.
Michael R. rated it liked it
Jun 21, 2015
carlton
carlton rated it really liked it
Apr 14, 2015
Tassia Caroline
Tassia Caroline marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
John
John rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2015
Milantropio
Milantropio rated it really liked it
Nov 26, 2014
Barbara
Barbara marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Aaron Huslage
Aaron Huslage rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2014
Lance Morcan
Lance Morcan marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Chris Abraham
Chris Abraham marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Sarah added it
Jun 29, 2014
Mitchel
Mitchel rated it really liked it
May 07, 2014
Stacy Metals
Stacy Metals marked it as to-read
May 06, 2014
Marcello Marogna
Marcello Marogna rated it it was ok
Apr 28, 2014
Rachel Corey
Rachel Corey marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2014
Kari
Kari rated it really liked it
Apr 14, 2014