Start by marking “Far Horizons: All New Tales from the Greatest Worlds of Science Fiction” as Want to Read:
Far Horizons: All New Tales from the Greatest Worlds of Science Fiction

Far Horizons: All New Tales from the Greatest Worlds of Science Fiction (Galactic Center #5.5)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  400 ratings  ·  24 reviews
The universe of the mind is a limitless expanse of wonders, filled with worlds and secrets that cannot be fully explored within the pages of a single novel. Here, science fiction's most beloved and highly honored writers revisit their best-known worlds in perhaps the greatest concentration of science fiction ever in one volume.
Published November 22nd 2005 by Harper Voyager (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Far Horizons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Far Horizons

Olethros
-Gran idea de partida, resultados discutibles.-

Género. Relatos.

Lo que nos cuenta. Recopilación de once relatos, escritos para esta antología coordinada por Silverberg (que también participa con un texto), que retoman sagas o líneas narrativas bastante conocidas en la Ciencia-Ficción de la mano de sus respectivos autores para ofrecer visiones de aspectos no tratados en las mismas o para añadir algo más a eventos o personajes ya conocidos en sus páginas (incluye una breve introducción al “universo
Althea Ann
*****"Old Music and the Slave Woman" - Ursula K. LeGuin.
Yes, I checked this book out from the library because I saw that it had a LeGuin story I hadn't read before! And yes, this alone was worth the price of admission. (Well, since it was from the library there wasn't a price, but, you know...)
Set in the world of the Ekumen. The egalitarian interplanetary alliance has come to this corner of the galaxy. Ideas of freedom have spread, causing riots and rebellion in a society based on racial slavery
Carolyn
Dec 15, 2011 Carolyn rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people already familiar with the 'universes' of the included stories (due to spoilers)
Novellas and short stories from some of the greatest science fiction 'worlds' of all time. I love some of these worlds, so it is great to revisit them, but unfortunately, it is not a good starting point for the series I'm unfamiliar with - the intro to most gives a synopsis of the plots of the books in the series - including spoilers. I'm bouncing through the book reading stories as the mood hits. (Ones read so far are in bold.)

UPDATE: I've decided not to finish the entire book - I don't want to
Kathryn
This book of science fiction short stories (from 1999) was not quite what I expected. There are many science fiction writers who have created whole new worlds and galaxies and concepts through a series of novels;. This collection consists of stories from those same authors, dealing with some aspect or facet of the worlds they created. Thus, besides being a great read, these stories are a great introduction to those science fiction novel series that I haven’t read yet.

In a review of short stories
Fred Hughes
This is an interesting anthology format that succeeds on all levels of reader appreciation.

Bring together a group of well respected Science Fiction authors who have created classic series. But as the editor Robert Silverberg explains it is just not about another story with familiar characters but a story that may have not been told or further and deeper exploration of a character.

This is very successfully done by the authors. And the bonus for the reader is that if you have read any of the serie
Michael Morris
Very good to outstanding stories, all set in the various author's universes. Many anthologies produce one or two really good stories, a few good stories, and the rest is filler, but in this one, Silverberg collected stories from top flight authors and didn't let anyone coast on their laurels. I'm sure that any science fiction aficionado will be able to argue that their favorite author of the time should have been included over one of those who actually made it in, but such arguments are both the ...more
Olethros
-Gran idea de partida, resultados discutibles.-

Género. Relatos.

Artur Coelho
Old Music and Slave Women - passado no universo Ekumen de Ursula K. LeGuin, este conto surpreende pela subtileza da autora na inversão de papéis. Acompanhamos as desventuras de um astuto embaixador da organização galáctica num planeta consumido por uma guerra civil. A sociedade planetária imaginada por LeGuin é decalcada no sul americano dos tempos do esclavagismo e a guerra civil um conflito sem quartel entre a sociedade esclavagista e os antigos escravos e seus apoiantes, que lutam pela aboliç ...more
Tim
Ik heb dit boek al vele jaren. 'k Had het vooral voor Dan Simmons' verhaal gekocht, omdat zijn Hyperion-boeken me heel erg bevallen hebben. Maar goed, na al die jaren ben ik er nog niet in geslaagd deze compilatie uit te lezen, hoofdzakelijk wegens wisselende interesses en tijdsbestedingen.

In ieder geval, deze recensie is nog NIET afgerond, ik zet hier wel al wat ik tot nu toe van het boek vond.

1) Ursula K. Le Guin - DE OECUMENE: OUDE MUZIEK EN DE SLAVINNEN

Algemeen gezien nodigt het wel uit tot
Sarah Sammis
Far Horizons will be most interesting to fans of certain series. Unfortunately the only series in the lot that I am familiar with is the Ursula K. Le Guin story ("Old Music and the Slave Woman" from the Ekumen books) and even it fell short of expectations.

The other stories included are:
2) "A Separate War" by Joe Halderman (an author I haven't read before). This story is a parallel story to his novel The Forever War. It covers the theme of the military being the lesser of the two evils after a li
Vorbis
Most of these authors I've never read. Almost all of them managed to hold my attention, even if none of them captivated my interest enough to pursue their series' further.

My favourite is the first, Le Guin's Old Music and the Slave Women. A provoking piece about how the reality of change and freedom are not at all free to live through. Highly recommended.

The rest I could take or leave. I liked Ender's piece but it wasn't revelatory, just fun.
Icarus
I bought this book because it contained short stories set in the universes of several series I had read and loved. In addition to enjoying those stories, I used this book as sort of a science fiction education for myself. I tracked down all the books in every other series in this book and read those as well. Thanks to this book, I found tons of other great reading material.

Jeers to Silverberg, not merely for including one of his own stories in here, but for including a story that was not based o
Sainte
A great collection of sci-fi stories and novellas by some of the best ever sci-fi writers. Now I have to go read all of Ursula LeGuin's books and Robert Silverberg's too.
Sammy
out of all the stories in this collection i was only bored by one, and absolutely loved three... the rest were fun to read... it has a pretty good variety for an anthology based solely on space fantasy... my favorites were "Old Music and the Slave Woman", "The Boy Who Would Live Forever" and "The Investment Counselor". The latter is by Orson Scott Card and a very cute snapshot from his Ender series.

If you've read any of the authors included in this collection (Card, Le Guin, Silverberg, McCaffre
Earl Baugh
Similar to Legends, good but not as many stories from authors I knew/know.
Susan
May 26, 2015 Susan marked it as borrowed-not-kept
Shelves: 2001
"The Ship Who Returned" read 12/14/2001 - HELVA AND PARROLLAN !!! YAH
Meter
The best story, by Gregory Benford, about the center of the universe and the alien that made art out of mangled, still living, human bodies.

Most of the rest were like samples of books that belonged to trilogies, or side stories to them. If you already read these and loved them, then maybe you 'd like this. I think this was the format, but I didn't know what was going on.
Cuauhtemoc
Excellent anthology, with some excellent and some not so bad works.

My favorite authors in this work: Ursula K. Le Guin, Joe Haldeman and, Dan Simmons.
Justin Hargrave
If you like the worlds created by these authors, ie the Ecumen by LeGuin, the Uplift Universe by Brin, or the universe of Ender's Game... Then these are some fun stories to read. Not essential. Not earth-shattering. But a fun addition.
Radu Stanculescu
This is one of the few short-story compilations that I liked, probably also because most of the stories were related to series I've read. It also made me add a couple more series to my to-read list, so it was definitely worth it.
Stephanie Manson
Dan Simmons' Orphans of the Helix was the only story in this compilation that I could say I truly loved. Most of the others were mediocre, & a few were wastes of time.
Chris Gager
Once again not the one I read but representative of the genre. Love that sci-fi!
Ayman Fadel
nice way to be introduced to some of the major science fiction space operas
Jacquie South
Some excellent short stories in here ... others decidedly average.
James
James marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2015
Rudy
Rudy marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2015
Stefan Grønvik
Stefan Grønvik marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Twenty-Second Annual Collection
  • The Oxford Book of Science Fiction Stories
  • The Mammoth Book of Golden Age Science Fiction: Ten Classic Stories from the Birth of Modern Science Fiction Writing
  • The Mammoth Book of Extreme Science Fiction
  • You Can Be the Stainless Steel Rat
  • The Leaky Establishment
  • Steven Moffat's Doctor Who 2010: The Critical Fan's Guide to Matt Smith's First Series (Unauthorized)
  • The Complete Peanuts, 1955-1958
  • Here Comes Garfield
  • The Boys' Book: How To Be The Best At Everything
  • Tintin in the New World
Robert Silverberg is one of science fiction’s most beloved writers, and the author of such contemporary classics as Dying Inside, Downward to the Earth and Lord Valentine’s Castle, as well as At Winter’s End, also available in a Bison Books edition. He is a past president of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America and the winner of five Nebula Awards and five Hugo Awards. In 2004 the Sc ...more
More about Robert Silverberg...

Galactic Center (6 books)
  • In the Ocean of Night (Galactic Center, #1)
  • Across the Sea of Suns (Galactic Center, #2)
  • Great Sky River (Galactic Center, #3)
  • Tides of Light (Galactic Center, #4)
  • Furious Gulf (Galactic Center, #5)
  • Sailing Bright Eternity (Galactic Center, #6)
Lord Valentine's Castle (Lord Valentine, #1) Legends The Science Fiction Hall of Fame: Volume 1 Dying Inside Legends II

“On the contrary, Mr. Wiggin. The tax laws are designed to trick people into paying more than they have to. That way the rich who are in the know get to take advantage of drastic tax breaks, while those who don’t have such good connections and haven’t yet found an accountant who does are tricked into paying ludicrously higher amounts. I, however, know all the tricks.” 0 likes