Start by marking “Monty Python and the Holy Grail (Book)” as Want to Read:
Monty Python and the Holy Grail (Book)

Monty Python and the Holy Grail (Book)

4.48  ·  Rating Details  ·  646 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
"We smirked a lot" The Queen
"Made my hair grow again at last" F. K. Sinatra
"Sad me in hitches" Speverend Rooner
Published May 11th 1992 by Mandarin Paperbacks (first published January 1st 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Monty Python and the Holy Grail, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Monty Python and the Holy Grail

samn
Jun 07, 2008 samn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If I could only own one book in the entire world, this would be the one.
Catherine
Jul 11, 2014 Catherine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If my house ever burns down - I will have run out the door with this under my arm. Stuff my handbag and the cat.

If you are a Python fan, you will already own this or at least have read it. So this review is for those who live in a cave.

Holy Grail was the first of three movies that made the English comedians - Monty Python - world famous. The other two being Life of Brian and Meaning of Life.

This book is the script of the movie, as approved before shooting began. It is notated throughout by hand
David Hartzheim
Mar 23, 2014 David Hartzheim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
The only thing more fun than experiencing a taste of Monty Python lunacy is to try to re-perform it for a Python novice. Foremost in that self levity is attempting to relive the inspired lunacy of Monty Python and The Holy Grail. The stage is rife with excellent material - the black knight - the knights who say "Ni!" - the taunting Frenchmen in the castle - the killer rabbit - it goes on and on... The screenplay provides a step by step blueprint for how the film was made, providing as well a bib ...more
Hiran Venugopalan
Awesomeness
Realini
Aug 24, 2014 Realini rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Monty Python and the Holy Grail by Monty Python
Great, what else?

This may be the funniest group of people ever, and not only that, but some of the wittiest.
The result is hilarious and meaningful.
You can get it from the title. We are not here to (just) entertain you.
We are looking for the Holy Grail.
Then there is another Monty Python endeavourer: Monty Python’s Meaning of Life.
This clearly states the scope of these people.
They are not here for a cheap thrill, but for the whole kerfuffle.
The big s
Ian Wood
Feb 12, 2008 Ian Wood rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: monty-python
Originally produced at a time before the advent of not only DVD but also video recorders, ‘Monty Python and the Holy Grail’ was issued as a script book for those people who wanted to enjoy it in the comfort of their own home. The book also contains as curiosities the initial draft of the script showing how it was improved upon during production. Also included is the production costs, I imagine only American film producers would know how funny they are.

The Holy Grails script is of a consistent qu
Thomas Ray
May 20, 2014 Thomas Ray rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The middle ages are funny! The movie is brilliant. This is the words.

Goodreads trivia questions about Grail: Screenplay:

Katherine
Jun 17, 2014 Katherine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comedy
We bought this at Doune Castle (where most of the movie was filmed) and walked around quoting it all day.
I didn't read this book - clicked on it accidentally! Not my type of book - haha!
Katie Varga
Jul 06, 2014 Katie Varga rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was hilarious. Almost as great as the movie.
Sean Sullivan
Apr 22, 2014 Sean Sullivan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reason enough to live
John
Jul 13, 2008 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People like me
...."Fetchez le vache"...

I'm not exagerating when I say that I nearly wet myself laughing so many times whilst reciting lines from the movie with my mates that it's almost untrue!

Undoubtedly a classic movie from comedy genius writers... superb writing... excellent timing... without parallel at the time and only really surpassed when they collectively penned Life of Brian.

...."I told 'immmm we'd already got One!"

Thanks Python and god bless all that have sailed with you.
Kim
Mar 09, 2012 Kim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comedy
As a child my stepbrothers and I knew every word, every line to the movie - and we owned a copy of this which was the most read book in our house. We always felt special because the book had glossy pictures from the film :)
Milo
Jan 11, 2014 Milo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When you feel a light read is in order throw your brain out the window and read this. Pure nonsense just like the movie. So many great one liners.. This screenplay is the exact dialogue from the film.
Allison
Nov 29, 2011 Allison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
well i saw the movie. freakin hilarious . . . but youve got to be able to understand british humor. its amazing but i sugest you read this before seeing the movie or you may not understand most of it.
Edmund Louie
Feb 22, 2010 Edmund Louie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A halarious book set in the medevil times, that talks about the journey of a king to find the holy grail. The author makes very funny visuals with the language he uses to make you not stop reading endlessly.
Phillip
Dec 10, 2013 Phillip rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What's to say? Great! Only a few changes from what was on screen but otherwise, awesome to have the words!
Iain Watson
Monty Python and the Holy Grail by
Orion
Orion marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
Talana Hinson
Talana Hinson rated it it was amazing
Apr 26, 2016
Bruce
Bruce marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Jordan
Jordan marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
Debra Steinert
Debra Steinert rated it it was amazing
Apr 19, 2016
Suzanne Clements
Suzanne Clements rated it it was amazing
Apr 19, 2016
Zsolt Viczián
Zsolt Viczián marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Snežana
Snežana marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Kate hudson
Kate hudson marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Murrie
Murrie rated it it was amazing
Apr 13, 2016
Lo
Lo marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
Jacob Robertson
Jacob Robertson marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
  • The First 200 Years of Monty Python
  • The Goon Show Scripts
  • Monty Python Speaks!
  • The Complete Fawlty Towers
  • The Battle of Brazil: Terry Gilliam V. Universal Pictures in the Fight to the Final Cut
  • Blackadder: The Whole Damn Dynasty, 1485-1917
  • Fargo
  • Reservoir Dogs
  • Gilliam on Gilliam (Directors on Directors)
  • The Original Hitchhiker Radio Scripts
  • Tragically I Was an Only Twin: The Complete Peter Cook
  • Do the Right Thing: A Spike Lee Joint
  • Why a Duck?: Visual and Verbal Gems from the Marx Brothers Movies
  • A Bit of Fry & Laurie
  • Double Indemnity: The Complete Screenplay
  • Rushmore
  • Primordial Soup: The Least Worst Scripts (Red Dwarf)
  • Cat
Graham Chapman was an English comedian, actor, writer, physician and one of the six members of the Monty Python comedy troupe. He was also the lead actor in their two narrative films, playing King Arthur in Monty Python and the Holy Grail and the title character in Monty Python's Life of Brian.
More about Graham Chapman...

“I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper. I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.” 228 likes
“Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?” 149 likes