Start by marking “Kaddish” as Want to Read:
Kaddish

Kaddish

Winner of the 1998 National Jewish Book Award

"An astonishing fusion of learning and psychic intensity; its poignance and lucidity should be an authentic benefit to readers, Jewish and gentile." --The New York Times Book Review

Children have obligations to their parents: the Talmud says "one must honor him in life and one must honor him in death." Leon Wieseltier, a diligent
Published February 8th 2000 by Vintage (first published September 14th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Kaddish, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kaddish

Ron
Jan 02, 2012 Ron rated it really liked it
Leon Wieseltier is the Literary Editor of The New Republic, a magazine I have subscribed to for the past 4 years. His all-too-rare columns are marvelously written and give a profound mixture of love of Judaism and humanity. His story is one of a smart young, orthodox philosophy student who strayed away from his severe religiosity to become one of our foremost cultural critics.

You can take the boy out of Yeshiva, but you can't take the Yeshiva out of the boy. When Wieseltier's father died in 1996
Gabriela
Feb 25, 2017 Gabriela rated it really liked it
Fragmentul meu preferat (pentru ca explica o parte importanta, poate cea mai importanta, a dragostei mele pentru iudaism): "Kadisul pare a fi jucat un rol in dezvoltarea a ceea ce este probabil trasatura definitorie a iudaismului in exil: carisma stiintei de carte. Atunci cand evreii din Mainz faceau o diferenta intre carturari si alti membri ai comunitatii [in sensul ca pentru carturari poti spune kadisul chiar si in zi de sarbatoare, cand e interzis sa jelesti, n.n.] sau atunci cand traduceau ...more
Daniel
Apr 03, 2015 Daniel rated it really liked it
Not quite what I was expecting. It's a personal as well a halachic (related to Jewish law) diary of the author's year of mourning for his father. (Actually thirteen months because it was a leap year.) He explores the origins and meaning of the "Mourner's Kaddish," providing a glimpse into several centuries of Jewish thought and debate.
Michael Lewyn
Jul 12, 2015 Michael Lewyn rated it really liked it
This book is a (seemingly not heavily edited) journal of the author's thoughts over the year he said Kaddish for his father, following the widespread custom of saying this prayer for nearly a year after a parent's death. He discusses lots of rabbinic literature about various issues related to the kaddish prayer, as well as bits of autobiography and epigrams between the more serious discussions. Undoubtedly, this book is a bit longer than it should be, but I liked it more by the end than I did fo ...more
Daniel Sevitt
Jan 10, 2015 Daniel Sevitt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: auto-biography
I remember seeing this on my dad's bedside table a few years back. At the end of the shiva I looked for it to bring back home with me.

I was expecting more memoir and less esoteric review of the history of and responsa surrounding the mourners' kaddish, but it didn't matter.

Moving and learned, Wieseltier is terrific on the distinction between grief and mourning and the obligations a son has to his father. I was advised during the shiva to wait a few months before reading this to get the best out
Angela
Sep 05, 2008 Angela rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2008, religion, nonfiction
This was a wonderful book that goes in depth on the rabbinic commentary and exegesis of the mourner's prayer, the Kaddish. Much Talmudic speculation. At times the obsessive nit-picking of seemingly irrelevant and unimportant points of the law got a little tedious, but overall, this was a strong introduction to Talmudic midrash wrapped up in a secular Jew's ponderously intellectual year of mourning.
Jan 08, 2017 Jennifer rated it really liked it
A Jewish man sets out to fulfill his traditional duty to say the Kaddish prayer three times daily for his father for an entire year. At the same time, he also decides to study the history of the Kaddish and to write about this entire experience, and everything he learns, over the course of the year. What results, is an extraordinary document of faith, tradition, history, culture, and personal introspection, sprinkled here and there with humor.
Shirley
Sep 28, 2010 Shirley rated it really liked it
I love this book. It's a dense and incredibly powerful story of one man's struggle to deal with his father's death and to honor his father by following a ritual that is powerful in it's practice. His exploration of the kaddish ritual provides him a venue to understand the power of the ritual throughout Jewish history and in his own life.
Maria Rossi
Feb 21, 2016 Maria Rossi rated it it was amazing
I ought this book years before reading it, knowing I ought to, wanting the knowledge inside, and being half a fraud of it because of the dire comments people made about its being "heavy," and "researchy." I unearthed it during my year of mourning and found it the best solace after the healing power of the minyan itself.
Ryan
Aug 08, 2008 Ryan rated it it was ok
I wanted to like this book more. And it's not for the author's integrity, but it was truly complicated and extremely dense. I picked it up shortly after my own dad died, seeing it at Ollson's just as it came out. Perhaps another try is warranted and perhaps, too, I am in a different state of mind now for appreciating it theme.
Beverly
Oct 17, 2008 Beverly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: agnostics
This is a good, honest book about faith. I haven't read many things I could describe that way. Don't read it if you are in mourning but do read it if you have god on your mind.
Samantha
May 09, 2011 Samantha rated it it was amazing
Fantastic, nourishing scholarship. Moments of humor. A study of mourning in practice, also a study of living, carrying on. Study as a method of living. Wish I had read this book years ago.
Rebecca
Jul 10, 2009 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
First Edition
Danielle
Dec 30, 2015 Danielle rated it liked it
This book was rather dense and at times, difficult to read. However, it is interspersed with brilliant and insightful quotes that made it worth the read.
Ruth
Ruth rated it really liked it
Nov 09, 2010
Elena
Elena rated it liked it
Apr 24, 2011
Mark Rosovsky MD
Mark Rosovsky MD rated it it was ok
Mar 10, 2016
Julie
Julie rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2009
Tim Downie
Tim Downie rated it it was ok
Jan 05, 2017
Jeffrey Siegel
Jeffrey Siegel rated it liked it
Jun 04, 2012
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it really liked it
Oct 24, 2016
David
David rated it really liked it
Oct 27, 2013
Partha Banerjee
Partha Banerjee rated it really liked it
Nov 06, 2013
O
O rated it it was amazing
Dec 22, 2011
Sharon Miller
Sharon Miller rated it did not like it
Jun 10, 2014
Gail
Gail rated it really liked it
Nov 29, 2007
Jonathan
Jonathan rated it it was ok
Feb 04, 2015
Ron Gelber
Ron Gelber rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2014
Kuzu
Kuzu rated it it was amazing
Mar 24, 2017
Jeff W
Jeff W rated it really liked it
Feb 29, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Lord Is My Shepherd: Healing Wisdom of the Twenty-third Psalm
  • At the Entrance to the Garden of Eden: A Jew's Search for Hope with Christians and Muslims in the Holy Land
  • In the Valley of the Shadow: On the Foundations of Religious Belief
  • Jewish With Feeling: A Guide to Meaningful Jewish Practice
  • Back to the Sources
  • New Jewish Wedding, Revised
  • The Art of Blessing the Day: Poems with a Jewish Theme
  • Life After Loss: A Practical Guide To Renewing Your Life After Experiencing Major Loss
  • Surprised by God: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Religion
  • Everyman's Talmud: The Major Teachings of the Rabbinic Sages
  • Hungering for America: Italian, Irish, and Jewish Foodways in the Age of Migration
  • Living Judaism: The Complete Guide to Jewish Belief, Tradition, and Practice
  • Mystics, Mavericks, and Merrymakers: An Intimate Journey Among Hasidic Girls
  • God in Search of Man: A Philosophy of Judaism
  • The Grace in Dying: A Message of Hope, Comfort and Spiritual Transformation
  • How to Run a Traditional Jewish Household
  • Jews and Words
  • Messengers of God: Biblical Portraits and Legends
Leon Wieseltier is a American writer, critic, and magazine editor. Since 1983 he has been the literary editor of The New Republic.

Wieseltier was born in Brooklyn, New York and attended the Yeshivah of Flatbush, Columbia University, Oxford University, and Harvard University, and was a member of Harvard's Society of Fellows from 1979-1982.

Wieseltier has published several fictional and non-fictional
More about Leon Wieseltier...

“Suferință, hrănește-mă!” 0 likes
“Vrea să muște din fructul amar, dar fără să-i guste amăreala. Să lucrezi în lume, dar să nu simți nici un fel de dragoste pentru lume.” 0 likes