Deliverance from Error: Five Key Texts Including His Spiritual Autobiography, al-Munqidh min al-Dalal

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  197 ratings  ·  17 reviews
This text has long been recognized as not only an Islamic classic, but also as a great spiritual autobiography of one of the world's greatest religious thinkers. It is the narrative of how one dedicated seeker of true knowledge and salvation, having probed various systems of thought and differing paths of learning and enlightenment, discovered the peace of the inner life a...more
Published January 1st 2004 by Fons Vitae (first published January 1st 2000)

Tim
"I knew with certainty that the Sufis were masters of states, not purveyors of words" (52). This quote has a footnote that basically states the reason that Sufis were not known for their words was because they considered many of their experiences beyond words or "ineffable" as the compilers state it here. This is how I feel as I read the account presented by Ghazali of his own spiritual transformation. To those who are not in the same phase of life, these accounts can seem irrelevant or even tri...more
Miroku Nemeth
In truth, while I love Fons Vitae, it is imperative that they start using Muslim translators for many of these texts. The overall tone of the text lacks the passion of absolute conviction and yaqin (certainty) that Imam Al-Ghazali's words exude, and the footnotes, while scholarly for an orientalist, and terribly deficient and sometimes downright insulting to a believing Muslim with an informed background in Islamic studies.

I have been wanting to read this text for years, as Al-Ghazali's persona...more
Mark Moorman
Al-Ghazali’s "Path to Sufism" truly deserves to be considered one of the canonical "Great Books" of Western and Islamic civilization. The sympathetic spirit of its author reaches across a gulf of 1,000 years to all with the wisdom to listen. The fact that he is an Islamic thinker well versed in the philosophy of Plato and Aristotle has special significance in a civilization (if our culture can be so described) which is flirting with the intolerant ignorance of Islamophobia. This is not the place...more
Latyr Niang
Ghazali nous montre le chemin qui l'a mené au soufisme... On peut ne pas aimer son approche, mais on ne peut pas réfuter la cohérence, la clarté, et l intelligence de son propos.
Tariq
Experience life...don't read about it in a book. The irony, of course, is that it's captured in a book.
Rindy Sabrina
An amazing book! A must-read book for everyone especially muslims.

Too bad I've never read Al-Ghazali’s works before this, and this book relates heavily to his other works.

(Also a bit difficult to understand, phew)
Hafsa
I really liked this book although many parts of it were hard to understand. You definitely have to have a bit of a background in Islamic philosophy and have read some of Ghazali's earlier works for it all to make sense. I enjoyed reading his criticisms of the philosophers, but I'm not sure if I followed the transition from that to Sufism that well. I would recommend reading this with more of a framework on the context Ghazali is speaking to.
Leon Del canto
Several centuries before Descartes and with a perfect rational sequence, Iman Al Ghazali describes with eloquence his spiritual search from being one of the foremost Scholar on the traditional schools of Sunni Islam to his inner quest and search for Knowledge and his discovery of the Truth. His articulation and coherence when describing the highest realities is an invitation to use our intellect to its fullest extent.
Andrew
The basic message of the book is intellect can only take you so far before you're going to need a little spirit of prophecy in your life. I didn't find it earth-shattering, but it definitely has me interested in studying some of his other more expansive writings. I also thought the translation was excellent and accessible, especially compared with other Medieval Islamic text translations I've come across.
Ahmad Abugosh
This book literally changed my life. I started reading it when I was in a transitional period of my life, and what Imam Ghazali went through had many similarities to my own personal struggles with what I believed and the reality of the world around me. This book is highly recommended for anyone who wants to re-examine their Islamic beliefs and relate it to their day-to-day lives.
Rika P
Another very technical and dense book. Not for the average reader. If you find it difficult to read, consider getting a teacher or taking an Islamic course that have classes based on such books by Imam al-Ghazali. SeekersGuidance.org has such a class taught by Ustadh Yahya Rhodus.
Ainun Najib
The 5-stars are for the content.

But the translation may not be helping Muslims, as some of the terms which should be left untranslated were translated anyway.
Asif
The great classic spiritual autobiography by one of the spiritual geniuses of Mankind. Short and easy to read. It is very powerful.

Seif Zeineldin
Probably the best book I've read in my life, in a sense of the logic and refutations!
Suzane D.
I used this for a paper in school, it was a bit difficult to understand.
Sherwin
Aug 12, 2007 Sherwin added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sufism researchers
Shelves: philosophy
A must-read for Persian culture researchers.
Faheem u
must read , for every human being !!!
Islamic Society of Augusta
2nd edition, 1982
Matteen
Jun 01, 2007 Matteen rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Gela
Shelves: sufism
Later
Lana Mahmoud
Lana Mahmoud marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Kristin-ameera Crowther
Kristin-ameera Crowther marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Sara Mullan
Sara Mullan marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Huda Aweys
Huda Aweys marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Mubarack
Mubarack marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Tahseen Bhuiyan
Tahseen Bhuiyan marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Xsyed Haxsan
Xsyed Haxsan marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Stacy
Stacy marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
  • The Book of Assistance
  • The Creed of Imam al-Tahawi
  • Western Muslims and the Future of Islam
  • Islam and the Destiny of Man
  • Purification of the Heart: Signs, Symptoms and Cures of the Spiritual Diseases of the Heart
  • Alone with the Alone: Creative Imagination in the Sufism of Ibn 'Arabi
  • Muhammad: A Prophet for Our Time
  • Muhammad: His Life Based on the Earliest Sources
  • The Garden of Truth: The Vision and Promise of Sufism, Islam's Mystical Tradition
  • Vision of Islam
  • The Venture of Islam, Volume 1: The Classical Age of Islam
  • Qur'an and Woman: Rereading the Sacred Text from a Woman's Perspective
  • The Road to Mecca
  • The Secret of Secrets
Abū Ḥāmid Muḥammad ibn Muḥammad al-Ghazālī (c. 1058 – 1111); (ابو حامد محمد ابن محمد الغزالي), known as Al-Ghazali or Algazel to the Western medieval world, was a Muslim theologian, jurist, philosopher, and mystic of Persian descent.
Al-Ghazali has sometimes been referred to by historians as the single most influential Muslim after the Islamic prophet Muhammad. Others have cited his movement from s...more
More about Abu Hamid al-Ghazali...
أيها الولد المنقذ من الضلال والمفصح بالأحوال تهافت الفلاسفة بداية الهداية كيمياء السعادة