Start by marking “Summer Gone” as Want to Read:
Summer Gone

Summer Gone

3.21 of 5 stars 3.21  ·  rating details  ·  135 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Canadian best-selling author David Macfarlane has written a masterful first novel about love experienced and love remembered that flickers with fleeting passions and sudden tragedies, offering an elegy not only for the ephemeral beauty of northern summers but for an entire era.

Summer Gone is about that moment when everything stops. Like skilled canoeists, we briefly hold a
Published April 18th 2000 by Crown (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Summer Gone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Summer Gone

Ron
A brilliantly written and conceived jewel of a novel. Highly recommend it. From Amazon: David Macfarlane’s Summer Gone introduces a writer of incandescent literary skill and beautifully evokes the sometimes painful relationship between father and son.

When Bay Newby is twelve he is sent north for the first time, and he falls in love with the life of ritual, beauty, and stark privilege of summer camp. Then the death of his baby sister calls him home, and it will be twenty-three years before his ne
Anita
A wonderfully well written book, at times told by an unnamed un-introduced narrator who’s identity we see slowly looming throughout the novel, at times told by Bay Newling the lead character whose life the story revolves around. He tells of the important summers of his life spent north amongst the cottages and inlets of the Waubano Reaches and of why summer itself holds such relevance for him.
David Macfarlane uses a unusual narrative technique, the story meanders through time and theme as Bay te
Emily
Just a couple of comments I want to make. I really enjoyed the writing style at first. I'd compare it to a french braid--the reader follows some main storylines but little threads of other narratives are drawn into the main plot lines. It creates a really engaging and interesting twist on the story. However, it did tend to drag on quite a bit and often led to the repetition of several elements, so much so it felt a bit like deja vu at points. It was quite an interesting technique and, though I e ...more
Marc
Biggest regret? The time I wasted reading this book that I can never get back. Finished the last 60 pages today which, I must admit,I had to skim through because it's SO boring. The only reason I kept with it was because someone said the resolution at the end was great, surprising or something like that??? Were we reading the same book. Don't bother. I agree with some of the other readers' comments about how confusing this book is, the constant switching of character's stories, the jumping back ...more
Louise Ellis
The more I got into this book the more I liked it. At first I found the mix of descriptions and story line annoying. It is beautifully written and I enjoyed it once I slowed down allowed myself the time to appreciate it.
Christy
lyrical prose, telling the story of three generations of men, but mostly of Bay, at the center. There's a few key events the story goes back to as the narrative hops around in time: Bay as a young boy at camp, Bay summering with his wife and young son Caz, Bay on a canoe trip with teenage Caz telling his life stories. Each time we go back to the events, we learn a little more. No surprises in this novel, since by the time events are actually revealed, there have been enough hints along the way. ...more
sisterimapoet
I struggled a little at the start to get the grip of the different narrative sections, but once I had them in place it all rolled out beautifully. I loved the back and forth in time - the sense of circles, revisitng places in conversation and thought - trying to make sense on multiple visits. The intentions and randomness that make up life. The things said and unsaid. All deliciously atmospheric. A great sense of time as well as place throughout.
Chris
A lyrical exploration of memory, desire, and dreams lost, set (mostly) in the north woods of Canada. The epigraph is from Nabokov's autobiography "Speak Memory," but I think that MacFarlane does a better job of evoking the past than does Nabokov, who is supposed to be the master.
Carolyn Somerville
I enjoyed this book when it was over. While I was reading it, the rambling drove me a bit crazy. The last 60 pages made up for the whole book. There were some amazing paragraphs. I even back over the book the next day. Doesn't happen very often.
Tamye
I enjoyed this book very much. Set in the landscape of Ontario's cottage country, this novel tells centres around the story of a divorced father and his son and an ill-fated canoe trip. Beautifully written. Finalist for the 1999 Giller Prize.
Daniel Kukwa
It seemed to have all the ingredients for a novel I'd enjoy...but I all but gave up half-way through. As bland as my childhood home's original wallpaper...and one of my most turgid reading experiences of the last few years.
Lara
Got the feeling the author was going for a quiet but poignant story a la Atwood or Munro, but missed the mark. Like, completely. The ending made me want to throw the book against a wall.
Spanishliz
There's a good story in there somewhere, but every time I thought I was getting to it the author doubled back or took off at a tangent, leaving me not really caring what happened.
Roberta
I was enticed by the tiny sketches at the end of each chapter demonstrating how to do different strokes in a canoe. I liked the book, easy read.
Gabriele Wills
At times lyrical, at others, tedious, this novel does manage to evoke summers in "cottage country".
Claire
Ok...but nothing special. Is it jsut me or is CanLit starting to blend into itself...kind of bland....
Lori Barnes
Lori Barnes marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
Tanya
Tanya marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
  • Luck
  • Barnacle Love
  • The Island Walkers
  • Open
  • A Wall of Light (Tel Aviv Trilogy #3)
  • Going Home Again
  • One Good Hustle
  • The Ever After of Ashwin Rao
  • A Student of Weather
  • Extraordinary
David MacFarlane is a Toronto, Canada author, editor and magazine writer.
More about David MacFarlane...
The Danger Tree: Memory, War, And The Search For A Family's Past The Figures of Beauty: A Novel Come from Away: Memory, War, and the Search for a Family's Past Building Paradise Toronto: A City Becoming