Summer Gone

Summer Gone

3.2 of 5 stars 3.20  ·  rating details  ·  116 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Canadian best-selling author David Macfarlane has written a masterful first novel about love experienced and love remembered that flickers with fleeting passions and sudden tragedies, offering an elegy not only for the ephemeral beauty of northern summers but for an entire era.

Summer Gone is about that moment when everything stops. Like skilled canoeists, we briefly hold a...more
Published April 18th 2000 by Crown (first published 1999)

Anita
A wonderfully well written book, at times told by an unnamed un-introduced narrator who’s identity we see slowly looming throughout the novel, at times told by Bay Newling the lead character whose life the story revolves around. He tells of the important summers of his life spent north amongst the cottages and inlets of the Waubano Reaches and of why summer itself holds such relevance for him.
David Macfarlane uses a unusual narrative technique, the story meanders through time and theme as Bay te...more
Emily
Just a couple of comments I want to make. I really enjoyed the writing style at first. I'd compare it to a french braid--the reader follows some main storylines but little threads of other narratives are drawn into the main plot lines. It creates a really engaging and interesting twist on the story. However, it did tend to drag on quite a bit and often led to the repetition of several elements, so much so it felt a bit like deja vu at points. It was quite an interesting technique and, though I e...more
Marc
Biggest regret? The time I wasted reading this book that I can never get back. Finished the last 60 pages today which, I must admit,I had to skim through because it's SO boring. The only reason I kept with it was because someone said the resolution at the end was great, surprising or something like that??? Were we reading the same book. Don't bother. I agree with some of the other readers' comments about how confusing this book is, the constant switching of character's stories, the jumping back...more
Christy
lyrical prose, telling the story of three generations of men, but mostly of Bay, at the center. There's a few key events the story goes back to as the narrative hops around in time: Bay as a young boy at camp, Bay summering with his wife and young son Caz, Bay on a canoe trip with teenage Caz telling his life stories. Each time we go back to the events, we learn a little more. No surprises in this novel, since by the time events are actually revealed, there have been enough hints along the way....more
sisterimapoet
I struggled a little at the start to get the grip of the different narrative sections, but once I had them in place it all rolled out beautifully. I loved the back and forth in time - the sense of circles, revisitng places in conversation and thought - trying to make sense on multiple visits. The intentions and randomness that make up life. The things said and unsaid. All deliciously atmospheric. A great sense of time as well as place throughout.
Chris
A lyrical exploration of memory, desire, and dreams lost, set (mostly) in the north woods of Canada. The epigraph is from Nabokov's autobiography "Speak Memory," but I think that MacFarlane does a better job of evoking the past than does Nabokov, who is supposed to be the master.
Carolyn Somerville
I enjoyed this book when it was over. While I was reading it, the rambling drove me a bit crazy. The last 60 pages made up for the whole book. There were some amazing paragraphs. I even back over the book the next day. Doesn't happen very often.
Tamye
I enjoyed this book very much. Set in the landscape of Ontario's cottage country, this novel tells centres around the story of a divorced father and his son and an ill-fated canoe trip. Beautifully written. Finalist for the 1999 Giller Prize.
Daniel Kukwa
It seemed to have all the ingredients for a novel I'd enjoy...but I all but gave up half-way through. As bland as my childhood home's original wallpaper...and one of my most turgid reading experiences of the last few years.
Lara
Got the feeling the author was going for a quiet but poignant story a la Atwood or Munro, but missed the mark. Like, completely. The ending made me want to throw the book against a wall.
Spanishliz
There's a good story in there somewhere, but every time I thought I was getting to it the author doubled back or took off at a tangent, leaving me not really caring what happened.
Roberta
I was enticed by the tiny sketches at the end of each chapter demonstrating how to do different strokes in a canoe. I liked the book, easy read.
Gabriele Wills
At times lyrical, at others, tedious, this novel does manage to evoke summers in "cottage country".
Claire
Ok...but nothing special. Is it jsut me or is CanLit starting to blend into itself...kind of bland....
Blu Tulips
Blu Tulips marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
May 24, 2014
Sue
Sue marked it as to-read
May 09, 2014
Jackie
Jackie marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
The Danger Tree: Memory, War, And The Search For A Family's Past The Figures of Beauty Beyond the Basics: Gourd Art  (Sterling Publishing)) Building Paradise The Danger Tree