Start by marking “Olivia's Luck” as Want to Read:
Olivia's Luck

Olivia's Luck

3.8  ·  Rating Details ·  1,001 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
Fans of Catherine Alliot's other novels will be pleased to find that they can add another page-turner to their growing libraries. Olivia's Luck is a combination of gentle farce, emotional heartache and some uplifting moments. Olivia (Livvy) recounts the sudden breakdown of her 10-year marriage and the swings and roundabouts that follow. Alliot has created a seductive cast ...more
Published January 27th 2001 by Headline (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Olivia's Luck, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Olivia's Luck

Jana
Sep 22, 2009 Jana added it
This book is so about life. This would happen to me or my family, at least the falling down part. LOL!! Catherine gives you funny with enough depth that you aren't bored
Rachel Brand
Apr 25, 2008 Rachel Brand rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rachel by: Mum
A hilarious read, this book is laugh-out-loud funny. My favourite of Catherine Alliott's books!
Abhi*
Mar 18, 2017 Abhi* rated it really liked it
Well the construction is enthralling!!

Olivia and Johnny are going through a rough patch with a crack in their family life.The little Claudia their only daughter seems to have a better understanding of the situation.They try not only to fix their broken family life but also the house that they have recently bought for a good sum;that needs a lot of mending.That brings Mac and his team to work on it at full swing. With a lot more by their side for and against the relationship they behold the story
John Marsh
Jan 23, 2015 John Marsh rated it really liked it
Yang Shu-yuan
Sep 27, 2010 Yang Shu-yuan rated it really liked it
Als sich Olivia McFarllens Ehemann Johnny sang- und klanglos nach zehn Jahren Ehe aus dem halbfertigen Traumhaus verkrümelt, ist die sonst so patente Olivia nicht nur platt und sprachlos. Sie steht auch plötzlich alleine mit ihrer 10-jährigen Tochter da, die – positiv ausgedrückt - ein äußerst gewöhnungsbedürftiges Verhalten entwickelt hat. Zusätzlich zweckentfremdet eine Gruppe exzentrischer Bauarbeiter den hinteren Teil ihres Gartens als Campingplatz, und darüber hinaus wird sie von einer neur ...more
Amy
Apr 02, 2009 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
ɑƨħŵɑɡ ♥Team Magnus Damora FOREVER♥
well, what I got to say about this book is that.. it's started really good. The plot was interesting and gripping.. yet by the end of it, I felt ..... unhappy with it! (view spoiler) but still the end, as happy as it was, felt kind of less satisfying.

Final Verdict: It's was enjoyable but nothing more unfortunately. I think it might appeal more to women & not girls my age.
Vipula Sharma
Sep 12, 2013 Vipula Sharma rated it did not like it
Shelves: owned-books
Its a basic story. But the thing I hated the most was pathetic and weak female characters. On one side is Olivia who keeps on ranting about her husband and on the side is Nina. Both of these characters are annoying and pathetic. The only character who is smart and intelligent is Olivia's daughter. Well its my opinion of this book. You may enjoy it,so,go give it a try.
Bookishlass
Why is everyone smoking in this book? I mean, everyone! I really love Alliott's writing style and smart sense of humor but every time somebody lights up, I feel a tad bit disgusted. And they have little kids around them too. It's really hard to feel a kinship for the characters when they go about their lives like chimneys with a sickly kid in tow. Come on!
Carol
Jan 16, 2016 Carol rated it it was amazing
This book is so entertaining and the author puts over so well the depth of emotions felt when a relationship breaks down, at the same time there are many hilarious moments which give a good balance. None of her books have predictable endings which make them all the more interesting and this is one of my favourites of hers. Well worth a read.
Dimples88
Nov 01, 2012 Dimples88 rated it it was amazing
This was a really great book! Like the 2 other Catherine Alliott books I've read, it's both very funny and also sad at some parts.
The only weird thing is how all the guys prefer Olivia to her more beautiful glamorous friend Imogen--not very realistic! :p
But it's still a great book! Highly recommended
Lynda
Nov 15, 2014 Lynda rated it really liked it
So funny in places I laughed out loud ..the characters, like the builders are just like people we all know and see every day.
I enjoyed this book.. it is a light funny and not a bad girl meets boy story.
Enjoy..
Joanne Nock
Jun 27, 2012 Joanne Nock rated it really liked it
This was the 2nd book I'd read by Ms Alliott, though the first one was disappointing. This, by comparison was great, lots of laugh of loud moments, a leading lady we can all relate to and some comedy twists at the end.
Smitha
Jun 17, 2013 Smitha rated it liked it
A nice fun easy, breezy read. A nice break between heavier books. Towards the end, I just wanted things to end. Some unnecessary complications crept up which in my opinion, brought nothing to the story itself.
Lamorna
Jan 06, 2015 Lamorna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Catherine Alliott, and all the curve balls she throws, but oh my word, the twists in this one! I reached the end still not knowing what to expect. And, in spite of all those dark events and unexpected horrors, what a lovely story. What a truly lovely story.
Paula
Dec 22, 2013 Paula rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book immensely for its can't-put-it-down quality, the humor which had me laughing out loud in spots, and the excellent narration.
Kept me listening for hours in a row. Bestseller quality. Title is awful and adds nothing to the experience.

Excellent arration by Suzy Aitchison
Shahrun
Nov 10, 2011 Shahrun rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just love Catherine Alliott books! Even though I have read this one before I'd forgotten all the twists and turns the plot took - usually in most unexpected directions! - I laughed out loud many times.
Liz
Jan 13, 2014 Liz rated it it was ok
i found this book dragged on at the end. i don't see why it took 25 or so chapters to end this book. we all know the boy gets the girl. no need to drag it out. i left this book in Sault Saint Marie because i just didn't care if it came back.
Rebecca Davies
Oct 08, 2016 Rebecca Davies rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Diverting

This makes good holiday reading. Nothing too deep, some laugh out like us moments, happy endings. Even if predictable at times, it's still an enjoyable few hours of reading.
Angela
Jun 14, 2014 Angela rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good humorous book that had me laughing out loud quite a number of times. The characters were memorable and fun, especially Molly and Hugh, and the story ended on a good solid note.
Lisa
Jul 28, 2011 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice bit of chick lit - not her best one but nonetheless still enjoyable. A few neat twists and turns but nothing too taxing after a hard day at work!!
Jeanie
Jan 16, 2016 Jeanie rated it liked it
Light
Marie
why are they all drinking and driving?!!
Valya Tomova
Aug 21, 2014 Valya Tomova rated it did not like it
I didn't finish this book. The story goes on too slowly and it just couldn't have keept me interested and excited to continue reading it.
Sonja Ring
Jun 20, 2016 Sonja Ring rated it really liked it
I actually enjoyed this book more than I expected, it did not turn out how you thought it will and there were something new all along. Really a nice summer surprise.
Jodi Wray
Mar 07, 2016 Jodi Wray rated it it was amazing
Loved this book - Catherine Alliott is a great writer, I felt like I knew all the characters in the book, again could not put the book down!
Kelly
Dec 15, 2012 Kelly rated it it was amazing
Loved this book the up and downs :)
Ayat Nuweir
A bit boring at the beginning, but you won't be able to put it down in the last 200 pages.
Melinda
Jan 16, 2014 Melinda rated it it was amazing
Loved it. Well paced. Great characters. Listened to the audio book and the narrator captured the book's essence really well. Thoroughly recommend for a light enjoyable read.
Lucy McLaurin
Sep 08, 2013 Lucy McLaurin rated it really liked it
Fun! I really enjoyed this. It was a nice fresh girlie read - and with a happy ending - ideal!
  • Between Males
  • Finishing Touches
  • Tall, Dark and Kilted
  • Tall Poppies
  • Marrying for Money
Catherine Alliott was born and raised in Hertfordshire. After graduating from Warwick university she moved to London, where she worked as a copywriter in advertising. She now lives with her husband, a barrister, and their three children.
More about Catherine Alliott...