Start by marking “Husbandry: Sex, Love & Dirty Laundry--Inside the Minds of Married Men” as Want to Read:
Husbandry: Sex, Love & Dirty Laundry--Inside the Minds of Married Men

Husbandry: Sex, Love & Dirty Laundry--Inside the Minds of Married Men

2.79  ·  Rating Details  ·  101 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Why do men hog the remote? Refuse to stop and ask for directions? Have such a hard time sharing their emotions? Why can’t they drop their socks in the laundry basket instead of near it? What does a man mean when he says “uh-huh”? (No, it doesn’t always mean he’s not listening.)

In his wickedly observant collection of essays,Stephen Fried, widely praised as an investigative
Published August 28th 2007 by Bantam (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Husbandry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Husbandry

Terri Carol
Aug 25, 2008 Terri Carol rated it really liked it
Funny insider's view to the way our husbands think. I enjoyed it.
Darci
Jan 01, 2009 Darci rated it it was ok
The topics discussed were interesting, and often seemed to be true for myself and my husband. However, I wish the author had taken the topics to a new level and provided more detail. Just as he'd get into something interesting, it was off to another topic. And each chapter was a completely different topic, which caused a lack of flow that was hard to get used to.

I did appreciate the discussion of encouraging your spouse (and vice versa) to develop a love of spending time with yourself. As a wor
Samantha Penrose
Jul 21, 2008 Samantha Penrose rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one unless you trying to avoid cleaning your toilet!
What a waste of a few hours! I suppose I could have just stopped reading it, but it was better than cleaning the toilet!
High points ~
I liked his schtick about sorting out family visits and holidays between both sides of the family. He describes his family as being the center of the galaxy...they sucked other people into their obrbit...then he realized that his wife's family also saw itself at the center of the galaxy and expected to absorb him....family tug of war ensues....yada, yada, ya.
I lear
Kristen Northrup
I guess, as a not-man, I can't know for sure how accurate or universal these pieces are, but it felt realistic enough. And it was fun to read, if insubstantial. These were originally magazine columns, and probably didn't go over two pages. Much like reading one of the many blogs turned into books. Since the original magazine was Ladies' Home Journal, the pieces stay cleaner than usual works on this genre, which are mostly by stand-up comics. I didn't mind that at all. I'm interested in taking no ...more
Mar 06, 2016 Laura rated it liked it
Generally meh. Short essays on marital issues from a decidedly lighthearted stance- wish he would have gone deeper into the issues of splitting work, jealousy, sex, friends, personal interests, etc... He plays the stereotypical husband who doesn't do chores, which is old, but it has its moments.
Christina Cooper (key)
Mar 22, 2009 Christina Cooper (key) rated it did not like it
So my husband bought this for me for my birthday; out of respect that he appreciated my love of books, I had to give it a go. Unfortunately, it was a no-go. There was very little I related to, perhaps because I am 20 years younger; but the older the wiser philosophy did not hold. I have not updated recently for fail that I could not get through the meager pages of husbandry wisdom. I would not recommend reading this book. The author does seem to love and respect his wife; and if it works for him ...more
Jessica
Jan 16, 2016 Jessica rated it really liked it
An interesting, if not very profound, look at marriage from the man's perspective. Laughed out loud a few times.
Gabrijela
Muška posla: seks, ljubav i prljavo rublje
Sherri
Jul 05, 2014 Sherri rated it liked it
This collection of essays was a nice, easy read. I enjoyed reading about marriage from a man's point of view. While there was definitely humor in the stories, the collection's strength lies in it's sweet nature.
Nikki Preble
Aug 11, 2009 Nikki Preble rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all wives, or even live-in girlfriends.
Recommended to Nikki by: stacy
this book was really funny, i have had just about every one of these fights with my husband! It's interesting to see what it is men are thinking while we're yelling at them about their lack of ability to get their socks into the laudry basket! A must read for all wives!
Oct 02, 2008 Jennifer rated it it was ok
Bret and I picked this up yesterday - looks like "chick lit" for men. The back cover is hysterical.

ETA - this looked like chickit for men...but is really a collection of essays a man wrote for a woman's magazine. Interesting and a quick read - but not a novel.
Sep 02, 2015 Jennifer rated it liked it
I funny, light-hearted read.
Beneta
Jan 01, 2011 Beneta rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
I'm only at the second chapter and I have been laughing my ass off! Stephen Fried tells it like it is. I recommend it to anyone who has a serious live in partner, engaged and living together, or married. Most importantly MARRIED! Enjoy!
Annie Lee Sallee
Oct 06, 2009 Annie Lee Sallee rated it really liked it
This was a cute book. I really liked how Stephen Fried spoke so lovingly about his wife. There were some great stories. I am just a newly wed, so I know we have a lot to learn! It's fun to see how other couples relate in humorous ways.
Dannielle
Jun 04, 2009 Dannielle rated it it was amazing
This book made me laugh out loud too many times to count!! I felt like Stephen had spied on me and my husband and then wrote a book about us!! HILARIOUS! I've already told all of my friends about it -- and it was a quick read too!
Patricia W Geffken
Apr 09, 2009 Patricia W Geffken rated it it was amazing
Wonderfully written--and very funny! Gave me insight into the very real differences between a man and a woman. A must read for any couple, but really enjoyed by a present day divorcee, like me.
Beth
Mar 06, 2008 Beth rated it it was ok
I couldn't relate to the husband issues in this book, like leaving dirty socks outside of the laundry basket. I guess my husband isn't as big of a jerk as I thought he was.
Dav
Feb 24, 2012 Dav rated it did not like it
This book is awful. It's just a load of anecdotal crap that's supposed to be cute and funny with the rare sentence or two referencing some study.
Lindsi
Mar 23, 2013 Lindsi rated it liked it
A little funny and entertaining. Not a waste of time, but I would have been fine never reading it.
Sabrina
Oct 18, 2010 Sabrina rated it liked it
Certainly not a book you feel smarter after reading, but funny nonetheless.
Danyell
Feb 23, 2008 Danyell rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction-misc
Cute bits for those suffering from domestic partnership.
Lani
Nov 20, 2009 Lani rated it it was amazing
funny funny insight to a man's mind
Dena Beck
Diane Ayres
Apr 05, 2008 Diane Ayres rated it it was amazing
Life-changing
Danielle Crockett
Danielle Crockett rated it liked it
Jul 14, 2016
Leona
Leona marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Misty
Misty rated it really liked it
Jun 08, 2016
Steve Bera
Steve Bera rated it liked it
May 30, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Stephen Fried is an award-winning investigative journalist, a bestselling author and an adjunct professor at Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism. His latest book, A Common Struggle: A Personal Journey Through the Past and Future of Mental Illness and Addiction (October 2015) which he co-authored with former congressman Patrick Kennedy, was an instant New York Times Bestseller. His la ...more
More about Stephen Fried...