Start by marking “Ten Women Who Shook the World: Stories” as Want to Read:
Ten Women Who Shook the World: Stories

Ten Women Who Shook the World: Stories

Across a series of vivid, untamed landscapes Sylvia Brownrigg's characters wander in search of the obvious--love, fame, a good recipe for canapes--as well as the less obvious. In "Hussy from the West" the narrator undertakes a long erotic quest for satisfaction; in "The Bird Chick" a visionary organizes some unusual park inhabitants for a bold experiment in
theater. In Syl
Published April 7th 2001 by Picador USA

To ask other readers questions about Ten Women Who Shook the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ten Women Who Shook the World

Ashley Lynn
Apr 07, 2016 Ashley Lynn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Woman. Feminists. Magical Realism lovers.
Recommended to Ashley by: Found at the thrift store.
5/5 Stars

This is a collection of short stories that focus on the struggles that women face both as inherently being a part of the female gender and also being part of the bigger patriarchal society that we live in. These stories employ the concept of magical realism to talk about women’s struggles in an indirect way. Brownrigg talks of everything from women in the work force to women not wanting to have children to anorexia. Brownrigg weaves beautifully lyrical stories that will surely stick wit
Aug 15, 2011 Emilie rated it it was ok
Very disappointed. This book is a compilation of 10 stories, each written about a special woman in the author's life. The problem is that the stories were just too abstract. It just didn't make any sense! It was as if the author took a certain personal chunk of the women's lives and wrote about that. I felt like I was witnessing an "inside joke" but she forgot to explain the background.

Since I really liked Pages For You, I trudged through this book, but if any other author had written it I would
This book has been at work, so I decided to read it. I wasn't really a fan of it. The story I liked most in it would be the bird chick. The least, would be (I think it's called) Husky Hussy or something like that.
Aug 02, 2011 Kim rated it did not like it
I thought this was a horrible book. I read the first 2 stories and put it down because it was not exciting. There was not anything keeping me tied into the stories at all.
Oct 10, 2011 Bridget rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was really confusing and I felt I was on the outside of an inside joke the entire time I was reading it.
Aug 26, 2011 Adea rated it really liked it
Amazon is a fantastic short story that has the potencial of multi volume saga compressed into a few pages.
Apr 15, 2016 Alyssa rated it liked it
as with most short story collections some were good and some were weird. I liked the "Mistress of Many Moons" the best
Melissa Marion
Melissa Marion rated it it was ok
Dec 09, 2011
Connie rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2008
Patrick rated it liked it
Jul 30, 2016
Sruthi rated it it was ok
Feb 24, 2010
Thành Lê
Thành Lê rated it it was amazing
May 04, 2013
Danielle Webster
Danielle Webster rated it it was ok
Sep 11, 2015
Melissa rated it it was ok
Dec 08, 2007
Nyla rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2016
Dhanveer Dalal
Dhanveer Dalal rated it it was ok
Jan 02, 2015
Ardith rated it it was amazing
Jul 17, 2007
Jennifer Havener
Jennifer Havener rated it it was ok
Mar 11, 2009
Milay rated it it was amazing
Jan 29, 2008
Commonalgebra rated it really liked it
Jul 11, 2007
Kauri rated it really liked it
Nov 26, 2015
Lauren rated it really liked it
Oct 04, 2008
Gamalalkyal Alkyal
Gamalalkyal Alkyal rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2015
Katelyn rated it it was ok
Oct 18, 2016
Karen Mickley-gomez
Karen Mickley-gomez rated it liked it
Jul 03, 2013
Jennifer rated it it was ok
May 07, 2008
Rezavalevi rated it it was amazing
Jul 01, 2016
Becky rated it it was ok
Nov 12, 2008
Merlyn Albia
Merlyn Albia rated it liked it
Feb 15, 2014
Vicky rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2007
« previous 1 3 next »
Sylvia Brownrigg is the author of 5 works of fiction, including the novels Morality Tale and The Delivery Room. Her work has appeared on the New York Times list of Notable Fictions, the LA Times books of the year, and she has won a Lambda award for fiction. She lives in Berkeley with her family."
More about Sylvia Brownrigg...

“I've been called promiscuous. Not a pretty word, is it? Makes you think of the gloop that comes out of your nose or what comes up your throat when you're gagging, if you're trying to swallow down something you didn't necessarily mean to swallow. Promiscuous: your face has to pucker when you say it.

I prefer to think of myself as an adventurer. Charting the souls of so many of god's creatures, and of the floaty beings that populate the land of notions. It's a job. It's a calling. It takes strong thigh muscles, intelligence, cunning, a good pair of boots. It takes heart, in fact. The heart to stay on. To not be defeated.”