Start by marking “Ten Women Who Shook the World: Stories” as Want to Read:
Ten Women Who Shook the World: Stories

Ten Women Who Shook the World: Stories

3.18 of 5 stars 3.18  ·  rating details  ·  51 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Across a series of vivid, untamed landscapes Sylvia Brownrigg's characters wander in search of the obvious--love, fame, a good recipe for canapes--as well as the less obvious. In "Hussy from the West" the narrator undertakes a long erotic quest for satisfaction; in "The Bird Chick" a visionary organizes some unusual park inhabitants for a bold experiment in
theater. In Syl
Published April 7th 2001 by Picador USA

To ask other readers questions about Ten Women Who Shook the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ten Women Who Shook the World

Emilie
Very disappointed. This book is a compilation of 10 stories, each written about a special woman in the author's life. The problem is that the stories were just too abstract. It just didn't make any sense! It was as if the author took a certain personal chunk of the women's lives and wrote about that. I felt like I was witnessing an "inside joke" but she forgot to explain the background.

Since I really liked Pages For You, I trudged through this book, but if any other author had written it I would
Danielle
This book has been at work, so I decided to read it. I wasn't really a fan of it. The story I liked most in it would be the bird chick. The least, would be (I think it's called) Husky Hussy or something like that.
Kim
I thought this was a horrible book. I read the first 2 stories and put it down because it was not exciting. There was not anything keeping me tied into the stories at all.
Bridget
This book was really confusing and I felt I was on the outside of an inside joke the entire time I was reading it.
Adea
Amazon is a fantastic short story that has the potencial of multi volume saga compressed into a few pages.
Caroline Styles
Caroline Styles marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014
Silea
Silea marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Windi Sasmita
Windi Sasmita marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Aldayoo2006
Aldayoo2006 marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Heba
Heba marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Angel
Angel marked it as to-read
May 02, 2014
Kerry
Kerry marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
Terri FL
Terri FL marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2014
Dora64
Dora64 marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2014
Freya
Freya is currently reading it
Dec 12, 2013
Rana
Rana marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
71922
Sylvia Brownrigg is the author of 5 works of fiction, including the novels Morality Tale and The Delivery Room. Her work has appeared on the New York Times list of Notable Fictions, the LA Times books of the year, and she has won a Lambda award for fiction. She lives in Berkeley with her family."
More about Sylvia Brownrigg...
Pages for You The Delivery Room The Metaphysical Touch: A Novel Morality Tale The Then Wives

“I've been called promiscuous. Not a pretty word, is it? Makes you think of the gloop that comes out of your nose or what comes up your throat when you're gagging, if you're trying to swallow down something you didn't necessarily mean to swallow. Promiscuous: your face has to pucker when you say it.

I prefer to think of myself as an adventurer. Charting the souls of so many of god's creatures, and of the floaty beings that populate the land of notions. It's a job. It's a calling. It takes strong thigh muscles, intelligence, cunning, a good pair of boots. It takes heart, in fact. The heart to stay on. To not be defeated.”
27 likes