The Walking Dead, Vol. 09: Here We Remain

The Walking Dead, Vol. 09: Here We Remain (The Walking Dead #49-54)

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  9,166 ratings  ·  331 reviews
In the last volume we learned that no one is safe. Now, after the staggering losses they've sustained, Rick and Carl are left to pick up the pieces and carry on, knowing that they could join their fallen friends and family at any moment.
This volume collects The Walking Dead issues #49-54.
Published January 20th 2009 by Image Comics

World War Z by Max BrooksThe Zombie Survival Guide by Max BrooksThe Walking Dead, Vol. 01 by Robert KirkmanFeed by Mira GrantPride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith
Zombies!
149th out of 1,119 books — 3,410 voters
Batman by Grant MorrisonWatchmen by Alan MooreBatman by Jeph LoebThe Absolute Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil GaimanBatman by Alan Moore
Graphic Novels With The Best Artwork
158th out of 166 books — 48 voters

More lists with this book...

Sam Quixote
I’ve been tough on Robert Kirkman’s less-than-spectacular “character” work in The Walking Dead so far so it’s a pleasant surprise to see him do so well with a vastly reduced cast in Volume 9 (but still, wow, it took him nine volumes to write some great character scenes!).

In the aftermath of the Governor’s fatal attack on the prison, Rick and his son Carl have escaped with their lives – and little else. Separated from the remaining survivors, they look for shelter, but Rick’s poorly healing gunsh...more
Nicholas Karpuk
I stopped reading The Walking Dead for a while after Volume 8. It's not that it became a bad read, Kirkman has an oddly consistent track record, it's just that the level of misery became so great that I felt I needed to take a break from the series.

This collection was the wind down and reset that the series needed. There's no major revelation, just characters coping with the most tremendous loss they've suffered. It's far more compelling than it would seem as a summary.

There's a bit involving R...more
Andy
Feb 29, 2012 Andy rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics
I think this might be the turning point for me. The last few volumes took things in a violent and shocking direction and this takes us away from all that, resulting in a much quieter and contemplative story. Rick and Carl move on and pick up what lives they have left and we meet a few new characters who also introduce a few new plot teasers to keep us intrigued. It might not be enough though.

I'm starting to find the character work a little superficial and while the dialogue is markedly reduced,...more
Raeleen Lemay
BEST ONE SO FAR.
Ashley
I'm glad I took time off from reading this series. That last volume was brutal.

Vol. 9 of The Walking Dead handles the events of Vol. 8 the only way it could (and still keep readers from wanting to kill themselves from sadness). The first half is relatively quiet, with Carl and Rick moving slowly down the road, ambling to nowhere basically, and dealing with their grief over the loss of Lori and baby Judy, as well as their other friends. (view spoiler)...more
T.W. Brown
After the gut-wrenching conclusion of volume eight, Made to Suffer, you might be a bit reluctant to crack open volume nine, Here We Remain. If Robert Kirkman has done anything, he’s proven that he is a fearless storyteller. He refuses to coddle the reader. The series up to now has been harsh, gritty, and real.

Here We Remain feels like a chance to catch your breath. Unlike volume seven, The Calm Before, where you are actually warned that there are bad things happening so take a moment to find yo...more
Sesana
Checking in at around the midpoint of the trades published so far. Damn you, Robert Kirkman. The last couple volumes have been so wrenching that I almost wish Kirkman had suddenly turned into a bad writer. That would allow me to get away from the horribly depressing world he's created and let go of the characters he seems to so delight in torturing. So curse you, Robert Kirkman, for keeping The Walking Dead absorbing and compulsively readable. You monster.
Brandice
Woah. This volume was REALLY well done. The aftermath of volume 8 is really shown in the internal struggle of the characters, which is something that's hard to really show well in this medium. I'm pretty impressed, and this might be my favorite volume of Walking Dead.
Yolanda Sfetsos
jacky
Issam
This is a great follow-up to the season-finale-like volume we left off at last time. I seriously love how far Carl has progressed in this series! This little kid is my new favourite character, and the first couple of issues in this volume were some of his best moments,... and some of the most haunting.

I also really liked the father/son dynamic between him and Rick here. I think they're my favourite moments in this series so far. Anyone who is looking for something similar should definitely chec...more
Kaisersoze
After the chaos and tragedy of the previous Volume, Here We Remain pauses to take a necessary breath and further complicate the father-son relationship between Rick and Carl. There's little action and far more reflection before Kirkman sets the wheels in motion on the next arc - which quickly becomes intriguing in its own right.

In the end, this is a perfectly serviceable continuation of an incredible first 48 issues; it's just that nothing was going to compare favourably to the visceral gut-punc...more
Arielle Walker
After the disgusting brutal violence handed to us by the Governor, I considered finishing my relationship with the Walking Dead for good. Gratuitous violence is not something I a a fan of, although I'm aware that a graphic novel series about zombies is of course going to be full of said violence. The Governor took it too far. But now he's gone, and everyone's moving on with diminished numbers and increased neuroses.

Introduction of new characters means a slightly new dynamic again, and I think I...more
Lynn Nguyen
Vol. 9 compared to the other volumes was a bit more tamed and unpredictable. I was sad after discovering that Rick and Carl were all alone, but even more sad when I thought that Rick had turned into a zombie and innocent Carl would be left all alone in the world. Luckily that wasn't the case. Rick and Carl were reunited with everyone on Herschel's farm and continued fighting off zombies and living off of whatever supplies they had left. A few new characters are later introduced towards the end o...more
Ryan Moore
Rick and Carl are on their own after the raid on the prison. I liked the attempt by Carl to "grow up" after killing three walkers on his own as Rick is recovering from his infected gun shot wound, it brought more reality to the story. Thankfully a few of the group are still alive and a new group with a scientist trying to get to DC show up, claiming it is safer there and they may be able to solve the outbreak.
Canna Miss
Finally starting to catch up with the show.
Aaron
This is the ninth graphic novel in "The Walking Dead" series and it starts to present the story of what has happened now that the prison has fallen, taking with it a number of a favorite characters. Rick and Carl find themselves alone and on the run, trying to make there way on their own. Carl is holding up surprisingly well while Rick is left reeling with guilt over what had happened. He was the leader of our gang of heroes, and now all of them are, seemingly gone.

Rick and Carl end up in a smal...more
Cherryonion
This one deals with the aftermath of the last one. Everyone is split up with no idea of who is still alive and mostly you just see it from Rick and Carl's point of view. You definitely feel that the charactes are cracking up under the pressure and I like that because most stories make their heros out to be superhuman with nerves and emotions of steel, which is completely unrealistic. Some new characters are introduced at the end so it'll be interesting to see where they take the story next!
Jessica
This volume was kind of…tame?...compared to the preceding volume. They killed walkers, they fought for safety, they scrounged for food, sure. But, it wasn’t nearly as explosive as the previous stories – and that was kind of good.

I think they needed this downtime – they needed some time to adjust and figure out what to do next. Plus, Rick needed his, “I’m about to lose my damn mind!” time, as well, though I was marginally disappointed in how it played out in this novel.

Yes, of course, I’m basing...more
Tyler Hill
There may be mild spoilers in this review, but if you are reading reviews for volume 9 of this series, I'm going to presume you have either read the volume yourself or just don't care if things are spoiled.

After the carnage in the previous volume, this volume is a necessary break from the action. The Walkers make token appearances, but otherwise are confined to the sidelines while the survivors of the siege on the prison regroup and deal with the fall out and loss. Carl, for the first time, als...more
Fredrik Strömberg
Whoa! Again...

The ending of volume 8 was pulse a pounding, disturbing read, but this volume tops that, easily. There are several really good scenes in this volume: when Rick falls unconscious and his young son, who had just seen his mother killed, has to fend for himself, kill several zombies and come to terms with that he might be all alone if his father dies or becomes a zombie. And then the scene where you realize that the woman Rick has been talking to on the phone for several days is actua...more
Robyn
I much prefer Karl in the comics to Karl in the programme! So cool to see the scene from the trailer where he is making 2 walkers follow him! Only complaint is I can't really be bothered with meeting yet another group of new people! Will be interesting to see if there are any other similarities to the programme.
Jordan
Carl and Rick have some father-son bonding time. Carl levels up. Everyone goes crazy. People are met who are possibly (probably) also crazy. They decide to combine their crazy because: why not? Also, no one dies. Which is probably because after last volume there was hardly anyone left to kill off.
Jim C
This is the story about the group of characters we have been following and how they deal with the horrendous events that happened in the previous volume Made To Suffer. After those game changing events, one would expect a little bit of a letdown in the action and there is in this volume. The previous volume was like a season ending episode and I viewed this volume as the first episode in a new season as it brings in new characters and steers the characters in a new direction. You don't expect a...more
Matt
In the middle of the zombie apocalypse, Plato's Allegory of the Cave is summarized: "The thing about SMART mother truckers is that sometimes, they sound like CRAZY mother truckers to STUPID mother truckers..."
Palma
dsp de haberle dado punto final a la ultima linea de dialogo de este volumen, el gordito de kirkman, sentado delante de su mac,solto una risita nerviosa y se dijo a si mismo "ya fue, estos giles se comen cualquiera"
Kdanielyan
In this volume of the Walking Dead, Carl and Rick truly mentally scarred upon the events of the previous volumes events. I won't go into details about what happened but lets just say they lost a big chunk of their lives. Upon this Carl realizes that he is truly independent and decides to blame his father for the previous events thinking he's weak. The thing that kept me reading The Walking Dead series was the way Robert Kirkman truly explores the characters thoughts and you can't really predict...more
Glen Krisch
Reads like filler material between larger action sequences. A bit dull, but still worth continuing the saga.
Fredrik
Ini adalah volume yang pergerakan plotnya termasuk sangat woles lambat... :|

Cerita tentang Rick dan Carl pastinya bagus banget untuk perkembangan karakter, namun secara keseluruhan serial, hampir gak ada hal penting yang terjadi selain munculnya Abraham, Rosita, dan Eugene (Yay! They are here! xD).
Eugene masih semisterius di serial TV perihal penyebab terjadinya wabah zombie, namun paling gak ada indikasi sedikit di sini.

Volume selanjutnya kayaknya bakalan menyusul versi film nih~
Hohoho! xP
Chris
Reviewed first at Brunner'S Bookshelf

I don’t know what to say about this book. I liked it, but it was more of an in between story and the next chapter to me. Each book so far has continued the story very well, but this one allowed the characters and the reader to take a breath. In the last book all hell broke loose and the group has been split up and running from the prison that they were safely living in. Most of this story focuses around Rick and Carl. They are struggling with horrible loss an...more
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 6: Girl on Girl (Y: The Last Man, #6)
  • Locke & Key, Vol. 4: Keys to the Kingdom
  • Chew, Vol. 3: Just Desserts
  • Sweet Tooth, Vol. 3: Animal Armies
  • DMZ, Vol. 6: Blood in the Game
  • The Boys, Volume 4: We Gotta Go Now
  • The Walking Dead Survivors' Guide
Robert Kirkman is an American comic book writer best known for his work on The Walking Dead, Invincible for Image Comics, as well as Ultimate X-Men and Marvel Zombies for Marvel Comics. He has also collaborated with Image Comics co-founder Todd McFarlane on the series Haunt. He is one of the five partners of Image Comics, and the only one of the five who was not one of the original co-founders of...more
More about Robert Kirkman...
The Walking Dead, Vol. 01: Days Gone Bye The Walking Dead, Compendium 1 The Walking Dead, Book One The Walking Dead, Vol. 08: Made to Suffer The Walking Dead, Vol. 02: Miles Behind Us

“The thing about smart mother fuckers is that sometimes, they sound like crazy mother fuckers to stupid mother fuckers...” 156 likes