Start by marking “Zen For Beginners” as Want to Read:
Zen For Beginners

Zen For Beginners (For Beginners)

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  93 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Zen from its foundation in China of the 6th Century AD, has always been more than a religion. It is an intriguing system of principles and practice designed to give each individual the experience of eternity in a split second, the knowledge of divinity in every living thing. To create a book about Zen, however, is risky. It is one thing to describe the factual history of t ...more
Published August 21st 2007 by For Beginners (first published January 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Zen For Beginners, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zen For Beginners

Amanatia Junda
Buku Zen untuk Pemula ini diharapkan dapat menjadi perkenalan yang menyenangkan tentang apa itu Zen? Namun seperti biasa, kendala terjemahan menyebabkan banyak kalimat di dalamnya tersendat. Meski demikian, membaca buku ini, ibarat menelusuri sejarah panjang lahirnya Agama Buddha dan berserta aliran-alirannya.

Jika selama ini, saya hanya mengetahui kisah hidup Sidharta Gautama hingga ia menjadi Buddha dan meninggal, Zen untuk Pemula mengajak saya keliling daratan India, Cina, hingga Jepang. Begi
Tara
The author(s) state from the beginning that Zen is an impossible subject to cover, and that they didn't even want to take this project on. It ran really hot and cold for me. I enjoyed knowing the brief history of Zen and its terms, but I think they muddled around a bit too long with each individual monk/Zen master, and for me, it became rather monotonous and hard to tell them apart.

The illustrations bring a little fun to it.
Mike Jensen
Zen is stupid. This will probably be taken as an affront or get me condemned by the faithful, which is stupid because a religion that so relies on paradox to make its points about “enlightenment” ought to embrace the claim that it is stupid as one side of a paradox. Alas, Zen does not see itself that way, and that is stupid.

I knew we were in trouble when the authors revealed themselves to be practicing Zennies early on, because that meant that no skepticism would be presented, and indeed none is
Michael Anderson
Pleasantly written survey of the history and culture of zen. Good descriptions of ancient Zen masters, Chinese and Japanese. Heavily illustrated with line drawings, some of which reflect the text better than others. Nothing here is very detailed or particularly enlightening, just a short pleasant read.
Parthu Balina
I started this book to learn Zen. I got engaged in the delightful style of the authors. Before I knew it I had finished the book. I still refer to it.
Gary
I became interested in learning more about Zen Buddhism, having completed two of Janwillem van de Wetering's three memoirs. Lazy by nature, I thought I could go the comic book route. Although I'm convinced the authors and illustrator made an effort to be informative, I believe they tried to accomplish too much in too few pages. Without van de Wetering's books, I would have entirely missed Blackstone and Josipovic's meaning (and, at times, did anyway).

If you want to lose interest in Zen Buddhism,
Zevi
I love this book. Even though some of the illustrations are rather crude, I still really like them and think they add a lot to the text. This book encapsulates many of the basics and history of Zen without going into too much detail. This book reminded me of some of the things in the novel, Red Zen by Jason Earls. Check that one out of you get a chance.
Princess Kristin
The history was interesting, but little was actually explained. And, the illustrations simply weren't very good and often had little to do with what was being said in the text. I will continue looking for a better overview.

It did make me interested enough to want to read more on the topic, so I'll give it that.
Emkoshka
Hmmm, I knew nothing about zen before I read this, and I still feel like I know nothing. It read easy enough for a dense subject, but the illustrations were just hideous. By the end though I was coming up with my own zen thoughts: 'What is reality? What you see'. 'Who am I? Who you are'. :)
Mikael Lind
The historical overview was interesting and the one thing that saves this book from getting only one star. Apart from that, this book almost made me more confused than I was before. And the illustrations are terrible! Not funny, not nice to look at, just annoying. Not recommended!
Lisa
Goofy graphic novel-style book, but definitely whetted my appetite to learn more about Zen. I didn't really know the history of Buddhism and the Zen sect before this, but this book explains it in a humorous, but informative way.
Gary
Trying to explain what is already understood.
Tonya
This is a great book for beginers on the Zen path. It is clear and easy to read and understandf
Jul 28, 2008 Gary rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those interested in religion
Shelves: buddhism, religion, zen
As good as anything else out there I suppose. More slanted toward Rinzai Zen. A quick, fun read.
Ali
sebagai pengantar , buku ini menjelaskan zen adalah ajaran yang berisi ... (ada dalam dirimu)
Shawn
Funny primer on Zen Buddhism. Short historical anecdotes with goofy comical illustrations.
Brent
Jun 03, 2012 Brent marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality
I love Beginners books.
Jono Tuke
Jono Tuke marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
Tina
Tina marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
Mahad
Mahad marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
Evan
Evan marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
April Sandmeyer
April Sandmeyer marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Cd Martend
Cd Martend marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

For Beginners (1 - 10 of 39 books)
  • African History For Beginners
  • Anarchism For Beginners
  • Arabs & Israel for Beginners (Writers and Readers Series)
  • Art Theory For Beginners
  • Astronomy For Beginners
  • Ayn Rand For Beginners
  • Barack Obama for Beginners: An Essential Guide
  • Black History For Beginners
  • The Black Holocaust for Beginners
  • Black Women For Beginners
The Enlightenment Process: A Guide to Embodied Spiritual Awakening Belonging Here: A Guide for the Spiritually Sensitive Person The Realization Process: A Step-By-Step Guide to Embodied Spiritual Awakening The Intimate Life: Awakening to the Spiritual Essence in Yourself and Others The Subtle Self: Personal Growth and Spiritual Practice