Start by marking “Control” as Want to Read:
Control

Control

Details the terrifying course of events that occurs as, one by one, suddenly and inexplicably, happy, successful, and apparently normal people lose control.
Published January 1st 1982 by Delacorte Press

To ask other readers questions about Control, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Control

Lois Duncan
Mar 11, 2010 Lois Duncan rated it it was amazing
I don't know how many times I've read this over the years. I think it's a masterpiece. Too bad it's out of print.
Feliks
May 22, 2015 Feliks rated it really liked it
Shelves: genre-thrillers
For most of the book, I felt myself a tad dismayed. It didn't seem to be one of his better conceptions. But, happily--I was in error. I was a dope. Only a dope ever doubts William Goldman's competency. Never, ever, 'second-guess' Goldman. The dude is just OUT THERE. He never lets a reader down. Even when he temporarily fell out of favor with Hollywood--he was always a thorough, detail-oriented, and masterful craftsman. Whether screenplay or novel. Dismayed? What was I thinking? There is no way a ...more
Tristan Macavery
Feb 05, 2010 Tristan Macavery rated it it was ok
I read Goldman's Magic many years ago and was enthralled. Further, I've found Goldman's film scripts to be extraordinarily good. This particular volume, however, felt both contrived and plodding. I forced myself to get to the end (skimming much of the last 100 or so pages), and I found the ending to be sufficient but nothing more, as if the author simply wanted to get rid of the manuscript at any cost.

The single significant plot twist, which I won't reveal here, occurs nearly 2/3 of the way into
Aaron Martz
Dec 05, 2012 Aaron Martz rated it it was amazing
One of the craziest, most mysterious books I have ever read. Up until the last section of the book, you literally have no idea what is going on. It is spellbinding reading, continually introducing new characters with unique stories all their own in a seemingly disjointed narrative that comes slamming together in the last section in a completely unexpected way. I sat stunned in disbelief at what was finally revealed to be the criminal's plot. It was lunatic, completely unbelievable, but ...more
Jeff
Apr 18, 2016 Jeff rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jeff by: Discovered it on my own.
Control by William Goldman

1st Read: August 30, 1997 - September 20, 1997

After reading the 305 pages in the book over the course of three weeks, all memory of it is lost! Judging from the reviews on this book, people have rated from one star to five stars; the majority of them being between two and four stars.
I missed out on the hype of what this story was about and gave it one star. If I had it in my possession, I'd attempt another go at it, as second courses are almost always better than the first time with nearly
Lauren
Jul 12, 2013 Lauren rated it it was ok
I chose to read this book because I really really like The Princess Bride: S. Morgenstern's Classic Tale of True Love and High Adventure but hadn't heard of any of his other books. I knew this one was set more in the present time, but I still was expecting something humorous or otherwise lighthearted, rather than a thriller, so I was disappointed.
Amanda
Dec 13, 2010 Amanda rated it it was ok
Hmmm. It seemed promising, but lacked the overall cohesiveness of Marathon Man and The Princess Bride. It also had none of the urgency of Marathon Man, and for this, I think I can directly fault the multi-character storyline. Eventually, I just wanted to know what was going on to connect these people already! Also, some of the characters seemed like major dead ends. But, I did see the spark that made Marathon Man a phenomenal book and The Princess Bride a classic. So, I suppose this is great to ...more
Lainie
Jan 15, 2013 Lainie rated it really liked it
I picked this up at a library sale because I so love Goldman's The Princess Bride and I figured it was time to see how he handled the thriller genre. I was satisfied! It's is not a literary tour de force, but it does a good job with suspense, intensity, and enough twists to keep this reader surprised at several points. It's a quick read, and recommended for fans of thrillers that read like action films.
Niki
Mar 27, 2013 Niki rated it did not like it
Shelves: english
An absolute mess. Goldman uses some of his writing tricks to great effect here (the elevator shaft scene was properly horrifying, and the buildup of a character wanting to be "the best" was just as fantastic as in all his other novels) but the plot itself is truly awful. Not to mention incomprehensible. Bizarrely, Goldman used plot elements from this novel in the Princess Bride bonus chapter "Buttercup's Baby", where they still failed to make sense.
Chris
Mar 17, 2009 Chris rated it liked it
I found myself very interested in the characters in this book (and I liked the twist that unfolded). However, I was more than half-way through it before I learned of anything connecting them. This wouldn't be so bad, but I have to say I wasn't terribly satisfied with the plot. I kept expecting more and never got it. The end came too abruptly, I thought perhaps the book that was missing pages.

I heard good things about this so I must be missing something. I would be glad to be corrected.
Marissa
Jul 26, 2014 Marissa rated it really liked it
Goldman is 4 for 4, as far as I'm concerned (Marathon Man, The Princess Bride, Brothers). Will definitely be reading the rest of his work soon!
Tamie
Aug 21, 2008 Tamie rated it it was amazing
I read this book a long time ago. I'm not even sure it's in print but I really loved William Goldman's mystery books. I think he is one of the best writers of this genre. If I'm recalling correctly, the chapters are short and easy to read. The story is told from several different characters point of view and they are all really intense. It is so wierd to be in their heads. The anticipation of the climax is amazing and the ending is satisfying.
Daniel Cohen
Aug 16, 2016 Daniel Cohen rated it really liked it

William Goldman may be (probably is) my favorite author in regards to style and diction, and though this might not be my favorite of his works, this novel is certainly worth picking up. The storyline is a bit out there, but Goldman pulls it off with his trademark wit and deftness. Also, the 'realness' of the last paragraph hits like a ton of bricks.

4 stars
Paul
Apr 15, 2011 Paul rated it it was ok
Strange book, Very disjointed. When I finished it I was not really sure what I had read. I would not recommend this book.
Elliot
Jul 31, 2016 Elliot rated it it was amazing
"People you love, and sadness. What else is there."

Genuinely one of the best books I have ever read. Real hard-right turn in genres at the halfway point that I haven't seen before.
Donna
Oct 02, 2012 Donna rated it really liked it
I loved this book! At first I wondered where it was going - but I loved all the characters so much that it kept me reading on and I'm glad I did.
Eddie Cruz
Eddie Cruz rated it it was amazing
May 12, 2014
Charles
Charles rated it it was amazing
Feb 14, 2012
Robert Hawks
Robert Hawks rated it liked it
Feb 20, 2013
Patti
Dec 30, 2015 Patti rated it it was ok
There are a lot of ideas happening in this book. Lots and lots.
Nolij
Nolij rated it liked it
Mar 07, 2008
Ian Towey
Ian Towey rated it liked it
Apr 29, 2014
Christopher Fulbright
Christopher Fulbright rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2013
Sury Vemagal
Sury Vemagal rated it liked it
Nov 11, 2011
Will McGee
Will McGee rated it it was ok
Jun 08, 2012
Sunday Stewart
Sunday Stewart rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2014
Richard
Richard rated it it was ok
Feb 15, 2009
Scott Nicholson
Scott Nicholson rated it really liked it
Oct 28, 2010
John Sheehan
John Sheehan rated it really liked it
Oct 07, 2009
Dan R
Dan R rated it it was ok
May 24, 2012
  • Pragmatic Project Automation
  • National Lampoon's Doon
  • The Taking of Pelham One Two Three
  • Star Wars and History
  • Black Storm (Dan Lenson, #7)
  • Terminal Event:  A Novel
  • Pragmatic Unit Testing in Java with JUnit
  • The Campaign
  • The Portable Stephen Crane
  • The Little Match Girl
  • Georgia Boy
  • Extreme Programming Installed
  • Kahawa
  • Near Death (Power of the Blood, #2)
  • Tango Briefing
Goldman grew up in a Jewish family in Highland Park, Illinois, a Chicago suburb, and obtained a BA degree at Oberlin College in 1952 and an MA degree at Columbia University in 1956.His brother was the late James Goldman, author and playwright.

William Goldman had published five novels and had three plays produced on Broadway before he began to write screenplays. Several of his novels he later used
More about William Goldman...