Mary's First Thanksgiving: An Inspirational Story Of Gratefulness

Mary's First Thanksgiving: An Inspirational Story Of Gratefulness

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  17 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Papp's endearing paintings complement Wargin's beautifully told story of how a modern Pilgrim girl and her family make the difficult transition from their home in Ireland to America. Through the story of the first Thanksgiving, she recognizes her blessings. Full color.
Published September 9th 2008 by Zonderkidz (first published August 26th 2008)

Teri
Finally a 5 star Thanksgiving book. Really beautiful story!
Shaun
We live at a point in time where very few people seem to have anything they are thankful for. When you consider the holidays that are a part of our calendar year, Thanksgiving seems to almost be forgotten. Retail stores immediately went from Halloween displays to Christmas displays. What happened to Thanksgiving? Because of this growing forgetfulness, books like Mary’s First Thanksgiving are very important.

Mary’s First Thanksgiving offers the reader a glimpse into the life of Mary and her family...more
Claire
i picked this up at the library for the up-coming Holiday. I was trying to find a good children's book to briefly, or very simply, explain the Thanksgiving Holiday to my children. I think this book did an okay job at that but also, it added a bit more.
It tells the story about Mary, who is new to America, from Ireland. She misses her native land and feels alone in America. (Kinda strange to be saying that becuase usually, these days, it is becuase one has moved States and not countries.)
She goes...more
Carol
May 22, 2009 Carol rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone looking for a 'new' Thanksgiving tradition
Shelves: childrens
I was half-heartedly looking for a story to read at the library for the Scottish Society's celebration of Scots-Irish Heritage Day in Tennessee, when I stumbled on this story.

Mary, an Irish immigrant, misses Ireland, her old home, family and friends during her first Thanksgiving in America. She isn't feeling grateful for anything. Her parents give her a rendition of the well-known first Thanksgiving story ~ English immigrants, starving, indians, big meal, gratefulness, etc. Her Dad adds to it th...more
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Mary and her parents have immigrated from Ireland to America. Judging from the illustrations and hints in the text, I'd guess it would be the 1920's or 1930's. It's Thanksgiving, but Mary thinks she has nothing to be thankful for because she doesn't have friends, her family is poor, and she hasn't got a turkey like everyone else to eat. Then her father tells her the story of the Pilgrims and their first few hard years in the New World. In particular, he tells her that, in the years after, the co...more
Margaret
Sep 20, 2008 Margaret rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone with children ages 4-7
Recommended to Margaret by: Jean Wang
Absolutely wonderful! After reading this book I had chills. This is an inspirational story of gratefulness and Kathy-jo does a great job of telling it. The story is wonderful and a lesson to keep with you always. This makes a perfect Thanksgiving book, but I'd say it could be on the shelf year round. The pictures are incredible, absolutely amazing! I have never seen such in a children's book that I have ever liked more. They are so life-like I almost insist they were from a a camera. Robert Papp...more
Alissa
I liked the idea this book gave of the 5 things to be thankful for:
1. beauty and bounty of autumn
2. love for one another
3. love for their families
4. friendship
5. freedom to worship God.
Rusty Gregory
"Mary looked out the schoolhouse window."

Good book that has a good message about Thanksgiving. I give the illustrations about a Bazillion stars.

Relyn
Jul 03, 2013 Relyn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: teachers, parents, kids
Recommended to Relyn by: spotted at the library
Shelves: lawsonland
I have got to remember this book at Thanksgiving. It would make a great read aloud and an introduction to a discussion about the importance of gratitude.
Tina
"thanksgiving, immigrants, first thanksgiving, tradition, gratefulness, inspirational"
Guen
Guen marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
MaryJo
MaryJo marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
Bailey
Bailey marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2013
Justin
Justin added it
Nov 19, 2013
Sumi
Sumi marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2013
Cathy Hiller
Cathy Hiller marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2012
Jill Hardy
Jill Hardy marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2011
Sonali
Sonali marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2011
Ruth Hill
Ruth Hill marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2010
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2010
When Kathy-jo Wargin was a young girl, each night after dinner, her mother let her choose between washing the dishes or writing a poem. Before long, she decided that if she grew up to be a writer, she wouldn't have to do any dishes. She has since learned that even though she has published more than twenty award-winning books for children, she still has to wash the dishes. Kathy-jo lives in Minneso...more
More about Kathy-Jo Wargin...
The Legend of Sleeping Bear Moose on the Loose Scare a Bear The Legend of Mackinac Island The Frog Prince