Start by marking “Cooking with My Indian Mother-in-Law: Mastering the Art of Authentic Home Cooking” as Want to Read:

When self-taught home cook Simon Daley tasted his future mother-in-law Roshan's chicken curry for the first time, he was smitten. Simon asked Roshan to teach him her vast personal collection of recipes and now, in their kitchen, a special friendship flourishes. This unique book draws on the extensive repertoire of an exceptional home cook, including traditional dishes ...more
Published December 1st 2008 by Pavilion

To ask other readers questions about Cooking with My Indian Mother-in-Law, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cooking with My Indian Mother-in-Law

P.
I only made 2 recipes from this, so I can hardly give it a star rating - I can say that they were very tasty and easy to follow recipes (potato and onion curry & green been curry).

PROS -
section on making spice blends and building your pantry
full color photography, including some step by step recipes

CONS -
I would have liked to see more vegetarian recipes and less curry based vegetarian recipes

I wish I had not been too lazy to try the samosas. Another time perhaps.
Molly
Apr 10, 2009 Molly rated it really liked it
Many of the recipes in this book are familiar, you may even have them in another source. What sets this one apart are the beautiful, detailed photographs and the step by step instructions. Be sure to read the basics section if you find yourself confused, or if you wonder why your homecooked never quite tastes like the restaurants.
Bill
Jun 27, 2009 Bill rated it it was amazing
The Aloo Gobi is great. Although trick it up with some chopped ginger, garlic & chili peppers to make it outstanding.

This is a beautiful cookbook. The joy of the author (son-in-law) and the passion of the cook (the mother-in-law) is clear. Photos are amazing (the daughter).
Francine
Sep 21, 2014 Francine rated it really liked it
Written with warmth and affection, the author takes the reader on a personal journey as well as a culinary romp.

I have not yet had time to cook from this book but have selected a couple of recipes to try.

Very enjoyable.
Shari
Sep 05, 2016 Shari rated it it was amazing
This book taught me to cook Indian food (my favorite food). I love it.
It does not have the simplest recipes, but by far it has the best recipes and most helpful advice I've read for this type of cooking.
Shaiin
Feb 17, 2015 Shaiin rated it it was amazing
A FABULOUS find at the library. It is by far the best collection of Ismaili/Khoja cooking. The pics and explanations are fantastic. I just wish it was easier to find for sale. Amazon has it at $98 and it is not available at Barnes and Noble and other bookstores on-line.
Clare
Jun 09, 2012 Clare rated it it was amazing
all round must have book!from picking up the basics to learning about spices...to Biriani rice,whole black lentils with chilli to Paratha and Chappatis,chutneys and samosas...this book has it all 189 pages of recipes and "how to"...absolutely worth getting...
Catherine Woodman
This cookbook is very much a collection of recipes from a cultural cuisine that you would recognize them all--they include the bread, the rice, the dal, the pickles, the meats--and with gorgeous pictures, and easy to follow recipes--the chicken in cocnut milk is burbling on my stove now...
Michelle
May 24, 2013 Michelle rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
I haven't made any of the recipes yet, but I like the style of the cookbook. I like the personal stories, family history, and step by step instructions. There are a good amount of vegetarian and vegan recipes. I can't wait to try them!
Sue Smith
Sue Smith rated it it was amazing
Apr 15, 2010
Amy
Amy rated it it was ok
Oct 27, 2011
Richard
Richard rated it it was amazing
Jun 02, 2010
Dec 28, 2009 Sarah rated it liked it
There's nothing like getting the actual recipes from your Indian mother in law!
Beth Melillo
Beth Melillo rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2015
Joyce
Joyce rated it it was amazing
Sep 07, 2011
Meredith
Meredith rated it liked it
Feb 20, 2016
Krupa
Krupa rated it liked it
Aug 06, 2016
Paul Harper
Paul Harper rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2013
Missy Williams
Missy Williams rated it really liked it
Jul 19, 2016
Sarah rated it it was amazing
May 10, 2012
Citizen
Citizen rated it it was amazing
Apr 14, 2013
Lynne
Lynne rated it it was ok
Jun 06, 2009
Lauren
Lauren rated it did not like it
Jan 07, 2015
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was amazing
Apr 13, 2015
Ben London
Ben London rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2016
Saje
Saje rated it liked it
Oct 07, 2010
Kristin
Kristin rated it liked it
Aug 29, 2009
Emily
Emily rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2010
nicole
nicole marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2009
Kathy Fredrickson
Kathy Fredrickson marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2009
Carrie
Carrie marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2009
Regina Farzan
Regina Farzan marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2009
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
May 30, 2009
Bangaloregirl
Bangaloregirl marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2010
Diana Duncan
Diana Duncan marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2010
Kamran
Kamran added it
Sep 21, 2010
Diana
Diana marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2011
Ray Morehead
Ray Morehead marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2011
Rabya
Rabya marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2012
Natalie
Natalie marked it as to-read
May 04, 2012
Yinzadi
Yinzadi marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2012
Basilios
Basilios marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2012
Claire Chisholm
Claire Chisholm marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2013
Danii
Danii marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2013
Clarissa
Clarissa marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2013
Mzeheter
Mzeheter marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2013
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2013