Start by marking “Towards Understanding Islam” as Want to Read:
Towards Understanding Islam

Towards Understanding Islam

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  124 ratings  ·  20 reviews
A simple and comprehensive introduction to Islam.

'My purpose in writing this book has been to provide all those persons -Muslims non-Muslims-who have no access to the original sources of Islam with a brief treatise giving a lucid, comprehensive and all-embracing view of Islam.
That is why I have avoided discussion over the minute details and have endeavoured to portray the...more
Published (first published 1932)

To ask other readers questions about Towards Understanding Islam, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Towards Understanding Islam

Shaik
One of the very informative books on basic Islam that I have read. Those Muslims wanting to give this book as a gift to non-Muslim friends, must first read the book themselves, as there are many things about Islam that I only began to understand after reading this book(I'm a 'born' Muslim).
Mayank Chawla
An excellent book with lucid, easy to understand exposition of Islamic principles. The writing style is informal and comprehensible for even those who do not know many things about Islam. The books is an easy read for Non Muslims and contains many things worth
knowing even for Muslims. The books begins with an explanation of the Meaning of Islam and goes on to discuss the nature of prophet-hood with importance of the last Prophet of Islam, Muhammad(PBUH).It further discusses articles of Islamic...more
Azalea
Lacks citations for the scientific claims and is at times very repetitive. Still a compact and correct overview of what Islam is, written in simple and flowing prose.
David
This is a good introduction to what Muslims believe (I assume, I don't have a lot of data points to go off of), but there is a lack of citations.
Irfan
From this book, I learned that one didn't have to be human to be Muslim. The whole universe surrenders to God.
Halik
Some slick editing by Yahiya Emerick has given this book a very modern approachable touch. I'd still love to read Maududi's book in its original form though. The book attempts to give a broad based summary of the teachings of Islam to audiences that have 'little or no access to its original texts'. what it ends up with is quite an expansive but not very in depth analysis of what it means to be a Muslim.

It is strongest in the opening chapters when it talks about the nature of belief itself and w...more
Michael Paone
I'm struck at how much this book emphasized dualism of various kinds--spiritual, intellectual, societal, etc. I learned a lot of things about Islam that I did not know, but overall it speaks very much from a mythic to scientific worldview (blue-orange in spiral dynamics). Also, this was spoken from a very much exoteric voice of religion, focusing on belief structures and rituals and law and other things external, but not so much on mysticism or esoteric / inward practice. Though I suppose true e...more
Udhayt
MASHA ALLAH!!!
Kother
Beautiful! A very good book for one who doesn't know anything about Islam.
Tariq Bukhari

Syed Abul A'ala Maududi, also known as Molana (Maulana) or Shaikh Syed Abul A'ala Mawdudi, was a Sunni Pakistani journalist, theologian, Muslim revivalist leader and political philosopher, and a major 20th century Islamist thinker. He was also a prominent political figure in his home country (Pakistan). He was also the founder of Jamaat-e-Islami, the Islamic revivalist party.
 Δx Δp ≥ ½ ħ
Sebuah ledakan intelektual dari seorang cendekiawan muslim terbesar sepanjang masa yang dengan argumen memukau, ulama asal Pakistan ini tanpa ampun memberondong argumen dan dalil para penganut faham Hegelian dan Marxist

Sebuah pengantar yang lugas dalam menyampaikan esensi dan konsep teologi Islam. salah satu buku yang terlalu sayang untuk dilewatkan :)
Amanda
I have an older version of this book given to me by a friend in the UK, so this version was printed by U.K.I.M Dawah Center. Nevertheless, this was an interesting book. The language in certain areas is a little complex but it was beneficial.
Xdyj
A concise introduction of conservative Islam. not interesting if you're interested in the author's own ideas. Available for free, don't pay for it unless you want to financially support tyranny.
Emad Baig
Maududi’s writing style is simple, succinct, and delivers the maximum impact. I think he’s very gifted and impressive. It's a shame he’s considered a “fundamentalist” nowadays.
Ahmad
Jun 08, 2008 Ahmad added it
Very simple and interesting book on the topic of religion.

It really inspire me to read more books from the Author. May Allah bless him with his mercy!
John Yelverton
This book was well written, but it is purely a propaganda piece as it completely ignores the jihadist sect of Islam.
Ryan
Jun 20, 2008 Ryan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: islam
Versi terjemahannya di Indonesia : Dasar-Dasar Islam. Buku ini memberikan argumentasi sederhana dalam memahami Islam.
Caitlin Mitchell
A very straightforward, easy primer for someone who wants to understand the basic tenants of Islam
Rifay
Aug 10, 2013 Rifay marked it as to-read
Reading now...
Afreen Fazal
Afreen Fazal marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Eman
Eman is currently reading it
Sep 28, 2014
Shu'aibu Mu'awiyyah
Shu'aibu Mu'awiyyah marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
Falak Noor
Falak Noor marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2014
Shuaib Muhammad
Shuaib Muhammad marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2014
Abul A’la Maududi [Abū 'l-Aʿlā Mawdūdī) (Urdu: ابو الاعلىٰ مودودی‎ – alternative spellings of last name Maudoodi, Mawdudi, and Modudi) was a journalist, theologian, Muslim revivalist leader and political philosopher, and a controversial 20th century Islamist thinker in British India, and later Pakistan. He was also a political figure in Pakistan and was the first recipient of King Faisal Internati...more
More about Abul A'la Maududi...
الخلافة والملك مبادئ الإسلام Syahadatul Haq نظرية الإسلام السياسية ثلاث رسائل في الجهاد