Start by marking “Towards Understanding Islam” as Want to Read:
Towards Understanding Islam

Towards Understanding Islam

3.87  ·  Rating Details  ·  182 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
A simple and comprehensive introduction to Islam.

'My purpose in writing this book has been to provide all those persons -Muslims non-Muslims-who have no access to the original sources of Islam with a brief treatise giving a lucid, comprehensive and all-embracing view of Islam.
That is why I have avoided discussion over the minute details and have endeavoured to portray the

To ask other readers questions about Towards Understanding Islam, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Towards Understanding Islam

Shaik
Sep 22, 2011 Shaik rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the very informative books on basic Islam that I have read. Those Muslims wanting to give this book as a gift to non-Muslim friends, must first read the book themselves, as there are many things about Islam that I only began to understand after reading this book(I'm a 'born' Muslim).
Mayank Chawla
Sep 08, 2014 Mayank Chawla rated it really liked it
An excellent book with lucid, easy to understand exposition of Islamic principles. The writing style is informal and comprehensible for even those who do not know many things about Islam. The books is an easy read for Non Muslims and contains many things worth
knowing even for Muslims. The books begins with an explanation of the Meaning of Islam and goes on to discuss the nature of prophet-hood with importance of the last Prophet of Islam, Muhammad(PBUH).It further discusses articles of Islamic
Noreena
Sep 26, 2015 Noreena rated it it was ok
Precious information...but i hope he has explained some points in a wrong way, because this explanation and this described version of the way we should be living, is sure is scary...
it sounds like a book addressed to make the reader worship and followthe instructionjust to avoid hell,if this is the big idea "avoid hell", then worship is about benefits not about living right. and anyone can simply adjustthese instructionsto his own benefits, exactly like what all the differentIslamicgroups around
Emad
Jul 28, 2014 Emad rated it liked it
Maududi’s writing style is simple, succinct, and delivers the maximum impact. I think he’s very gifted and impressive. It's a shame he’s considered a “fundamentalist” nowadays.
Azalea
Lacks citations for the scientific claims and is at times very repetitive. Still a compact and correct overview of what Islam is, written in simple and flowing prose.
David
Jul 10, 2012 David rated it it was ok
This is a good introduction to what Muslims believe (I assume, I don't have a lot of data points to go off of), but there is a lack of citations.
Irfan
Apr 28, 2013 Irfan rated it really liked it
Shelves: hard-cover
From this book, I learned that one didn't have to be human to be Muslim. The whole universe surrenders to God.
Halik
Feb 19, 2011 Halik rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: islam
Some slick editing by Yahiya Emerick has given this book a very modern approachable touch. I'd still love to read Maududi's book in its original form though. The book attempts to give a broad based summary of the teachings of Islam to audiences that have 'little or no access to its original texts'. what it ends up with is quite an expansive but not very in depth analysis of what it means to be a Muslim.

It is strongest in the opening chapters when it talks about the nature of belief itself and w
Michael Paone
Mar 09, 2011 Michael Paone rated it liked it
I'm struck at how much this book emphasized dualism of various kinds--spiritual, intellectual, societal, etc. I learned a lot of things about Islam that I did not know, but overall it speaks very much from a mythic to scientific worldview (blue-orange in spiral dynamics). Also, this was spoken from a very much exoteric voice of religion, focusing on belief structures and rituals and law and other things external, but not so much on mysticism or esoteric / inward practice. Though I suppose true e ...more
Sara Haya
May 19, 2016 Sara Haya rated it it was amazing
A must read..
Hamza
Jul 04, 2015 Hamza rated it liked it
Comprehensive Introduction to the fundamentals of Islam.
Udhayt
Jun 27, 2014 Udhayt rated it really liked it
MASHA ALLAH!!!
Kother
Jan 24, 2014 Kother rated it it was amazing
Beautiful! A very good book for one who doesn't know anything about Islam.
Mohjam
May 16, 2016 Mohjam rated it liked it
Shelves: crucial
It was a good book, but did not find the spark that I was looking for.
Tariq Bukhari
Dec 08, 2010 Tariq Bukhari rated it it was amazing

Syed Abul A'ala Maududi, also known as Molana (Maulana) or Shaikh Syed Abul A'ala Mawdudi, was a Sunni Pakistani journalist, theologian, Muslim revivalist leader and political philosopher, and a major 20th century Islamist thinker. He was also a prominent political figure in his home country (Pakistan). He was also the founder of Jamaat-e-Islami, the Islamic revivalist party.
 Δx Δp ≥ ½ ħ
Sebuah ledakan intelektual dari seorang cendekiawan muslim terbesar sepanjang masa yang dengan argumen memukau, ulama asal Pakistan ini tanpa ampun memberondong argumen dan dalil para penganut faham Hegelian dan Marxist

Sebuah pengantar yang lugas dalam menyampaikan esensi dan konsep teologi Islam. salah satu buku yang terlalu sayang untuk dilewatkan :)
Amanda
Dec 30, 2010 Amanda rated it liked it
I have an older version of this book given to me by a friend in the UK, so this version was printed by U.K.I.M Dawah Center. Nevertheless, this was an interesting book. The language in certain areas is a little complex but it was beneficial.
Xdyj
Aug 17, 2013 Xdyj rated it it was ok
A concise introduction of conservative Islam. not interesting if you're interested in the author's own ideas. Available for free, don't pay for it unless you want to financially support tyranny.
Ahmad
Jun 08, 2008 Ahmad added it
Very simple and interesting book on the topic of religion.

It really inspire me to read more books from the Author. May Allah bless him with his mercy!
John Yelverton
Jul 22, 2012 John Yelverton rated it liked it
This book was well written, but it is purely a propaganda piece as it completely ignores the jihadist sect of Islam.
Ryan
Jun 20, 2008 Ryan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: islam
Versi terjemahannya di Indonesia : Dasar-Dasar Islam. Buku ini memberikan argumentasi sederhana dalam memahami Islam.
Caitlin Mitchell
Nov 18, 2012 Caitlin Mitchell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teaching
A very straightforward, easy primer for someone who wants to understand the basic tenants of Islam
Rifay
Hamza Ali Khan
Hamza Ali Khan rated it liked it
May 15, 2016
Tiko Karosanidze
Tiko Karosanidze marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
Man4science
Man4science marked it as to-read
May 13, 2016
Dian Samudra
Dian Samudra rated it it was amazing
May 09, 2016
Abdur Rehman
Abdur Rehman rated it really liked it
May 08, 2016
  • In The Early Hours: Reflections On Spiritual and Self Development
  • What Everyone Needs to Know about Islam
  • Understanding Islam
  • Scattered Pictures: Reflections Of An American Muslim
  • English Translation of the Meaning of Al-Qur'an: The Guidance for Mankind (English Only)
  • A Brief Illustrated Guide to Understanding Islam
  • Ideals and Realities of Islam
  • Western Muslims and the Future of Islam
  • "Believing Women" in Islam: Unreading Patriarchal Interpretations of the Qur'an
  • The Great Theft: Wrestling Islam from the Extremists
  • Al-Ghazali on the Remembrance of Death and the Afterlife (Book XL of The Revival of the Religious Sciences)
  • Islam in Focus
  • Islam at the Crossroads
  • Quest for the Red Sulphur: The Life of Ibn ʻArabī
  • Bosnia: A Short History
  • Vision of Islam
  • What is Sufism?
  • Mystical Dimensions of Islam
Abul A’la Maududi [Abū 'l-Aʿlā Mawdūdī) (Urdu: ابو الاعلىٰ مودودی – alternative spellings of last name Maudoodi, Mawdudi, and Modudi) was a journalist, theologian, Muslim revivalist leader and political philosopher, and a controversial 20th century Islamist thinker in British India, and later Pakistan. He was also a political figure in Pakistan and was the first recipient of King Faisal Internatio ...more
More about Abul A'la Maududi...