Start by marking “Gregor the Overlander (Underland Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
Gregor the Overlander (Underland Chronicles, #1)

Gregor the Overlander (Underland Chronicles #1)

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  58,752 ratings  ·  4,638 reviews
This 2003 Kirkus Reviews Editor's Choice is now in paperback. When Gregor falls through a grate in his apartment building, he's hurtled into the dark Underland, a world that is on the brink of war. But his arrival is no accident--a prophecy foretells that Gregor has a role to play in the Underland's uncertain future.
Published August 1st 2004 by Perfection Learning (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Gregor the Overlander, please sign up.

C. Wilhoit This series is better than the Hunger Games and I have no clue why it doesn't get more attention. Probably because it would be pretty much impossible…moreThis series is better than the Hunger Games and I have no clue why it doesn't get more attention. Probably because it would be pretty much impossible to make into a movie with one of the main characters being a toddler. It's up there with Harry Potter for me. Very intense. By the last book or two it's not a children's book anymore to me- you're getting into adult territory with war and serious themes, but you won't be able to stop reading. Also great on audiobook- the narrator does a great job and adds a lot to it. Question- does anyone else think that the phrase "everyone a rager" in Lorde's song Glory and Gore might refer to this series?(less)
Mark It is a science fiction book with fantasy elements.

I recently went solo dining with the 2nd book in the series and sat down at a counter, speeding through the large font and well-spaced text. The restaurant started to fill up and another solo diner sat down next to me. I glanced over at his magazine and saw that it was a scientific journal open to an article about the brain. I casually angled the cover of my Scholastic-published book away from his view and kept reading, very self-conscious of the approximately 18 grades of school between our rea ...more
so this is how superweak my life is: on friday i rushed home from work in the rain to get some homework done. whee... but then i ended up writing that wuthering heights review, inspired by the rain and the clouds etc. and i did some work, but not a ton. and i thought to myself, what do i really want to be doing? and the answer was - put on my pajamas, eat peanut butter pretzels and read unchallenging children's books. so i did. and you can all suck it, with your parties and balls and galas. 'cuz ...more
When Gregor falls after his little sister down the laundry shoot he finds himself in a new land. He is faced with deciding where to place his loyalties, how to survive and given the opportunity to search for his father who unaccountably disappeared 2 years ago.

This book has ruined my entire day! I have laundry to fold, dinner to cook, breakfast to eat, 3 papers to write and lesson plans to develop. Instead, I've spent my morning snuggled under a down quilt devouring Gregor the Overlander. As so
Apr 28, 2009 Sparrow rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: School Teachers and Librarians
The covers of the Underland Chronicles do them no end of disservice. Since my policy is to judge a book by its cover, it took reading The Hunger Games to convince me to pick them up. I had always assumed they would be machine generated chapter books with mythical creatures protecting or seeking some ring or sword, or who knows what, that has some symbolic meaning - or doesn't. Suzanne Collins, however, is in no way machine-generated. She is Dostoyevski for the young-reader crowd. While she uses ...more
I actually got all teary-eyed over the death of an insect. Can you believe it?

A great book, I'm glad I gave it a try although I wasn't sure at the beginning if it would be too young for my taste. Collins has created a fascinating world with the Underland and the book is full of amazing characters (insects and rodents included!).

On to book two!
With a few exceptions, I am not typically a big fan of science fiction/fantasy, nor of bugs and rats and dark places. Had I not read and loved The Hunger Games, I never would have even considered reading this book. And I would have most certainly been missing out.

This is Suzanne Collin's first novel, and it is quite a first novel. Gregor the Overlander centers around an eleven-year-old boy and his little sister who fall through a grate in the laundry room of their apartment complex. After being
Dec 03, 2013 Kay rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: spiders and roaches and rats, oh my!
Recommended to Kay by: just don't fall down any holes in the laundry room
So, my workplace and a few other firms are a part of this program where we got to a local elementary school to read to kids. I was paired up with a fifth grader who loved to read as much as I did. She blew through Breadcrumbs, which was amazing, and we had just started on Gregor the Overlander (Underland Chronicles, #1) when school was dismissed for summer vacation. Me being my usual ADHD self, I left this book unread for months and months while I pursued other books.Now, after reading the enti ...more
Even though this book has nothing really to do with Kafka, I can't get it out of my head that somewhere in this series is some of the weird Jew from Prague. The cover looks sort of Prague like. There is a main character named Gregor, and there are giant fucking cockroaches in it (must I swear in every children's review I write?).

There has been no real Kafka in the book though. There are some Daddy issues but Kafka doesn't hold the patent on that. Besides looking for Kafka though, I found this f
Sep 07, 2007 Courtney rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who
Oh, dear! I've read another children's book, haven't I? Well, if I may be so bold, I liked it a lot more than some of the so-called classics. (I'm so immature, but at least I enjoy myself!)

Though I've never really been one for the 'guy gets sucked into another world' kind of genre, this one put a spin on my thoughts. I've not enjoyed a book so much since... well, a long time. It keeps you in such connection with the characters, despite their being fictional. I especially enjoyed how, as the read

Before Suzanne Collins became megafamous from writing about The Hunger Games she wrote a wonderful series of children's books called the Underland Chronicles. These were books that I read as a child and very much enjoyed because of the fascinating fantasy world and ideas. I've always liked the idea of world beyond our own fingers or underneath our feet and that is what Collins decided to tackle in these novels.

The basic premise behind this first book is that of Gregor who stumbles down a laundr
Cait Grace
Well that was sufficiently fantastic. I, naturally, am a HUGE The Hunger Games fan and basically wanted to read this because SUZANNE COLLINS. Obviously my brain had a lot of pressure on this book's very different (obviously) from THG. It's middle-grade. It's an adventure with prophecies and talking animals. And I really enjoyed it!

The characters were adorable. The main character is Gregor (DUH) and he's a fabulous older brother, but he's not perfect. At the same time, though, he didn
Already an immensely huge fan of Collins, outstanding series The Huger Games, I just had to see what her other books were like.

Now, I've never been particular pleased with rats and cockroaches to begin with, so having to read about life-sized ones was pretty dame creepy let me tell ya, but never the less, the underground world is fantastically imaginative and unique.
I really enjoyed all the characters, Gregor is a heart felt kid and wonderfully good humored and Boots was to precious for words.

My 10-yr old son moped around for days after he finished this series because he was so bummed there were no more books left to read. I decided I needed to see for myself what all the fuss was about, and I was also intrigued to see Suzanne Collins' work prior to The Hunger Games. I wasn't disappointed! It is geared towards a younger crowd than Hunger Games, but was still enjoyable for me as an adult. What I really loved is that it has at its core a functional family. Gregor is the hero, but he st ...more
Dec 17, 2010 AH rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young readers (especially boys) 9 to 12
Brought to you by Suzanne Collins – yes – the same Suzanne Collins that wrote The Hunger Games, Gregor the Overlander is a fun and entertaining read. Geared towards younger audiences, the Gregor books are a kind of Alice in Wonderland for boys.

Eleven year old Gregor is stuck babysitting his baby sister Boots. They are in the basement of their apartment building where Gregor is doing their laundry when Boots disappears into an air duct. Gregor follows Boots and falls into another world. They end
I loved everything about this middle-grade children's book. It is actually Suzanne Collins' very first novel, pre-Hunger Games. It shares a lot with her more famous trilogy. Fast pacing. An ordinary kid forced by extraordinary circumstances into becoming a leader, a hero. Good good guys and bad bad guys. I already mentioned fast pacing. Gregor, an eleven year old boy and his two year old sister Boots get sucked from the laundry room in their NYC apt building into The Underland. The Underland has ...more
I loved this perfect middle grade read. It was well paced, the characters were all completely engaging, and the hero is just this ordinary kid from New York. Some parts were slightly heavy handed (I'm looking at you, prophecy), but I finished this one with such a feeling of happiness and hope that I couldn't rate it less than 5 stars. A perfect example of what it set out to be.
Apr 04, 2008 Valerie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 10+
Once again I have to say, I'm not big into fantasy, but I fell hard with Boots and Gregor! I finished listening to this one on audio and immediately sought out its sequel Prophecy of Bane; I finished that one and grabbed Curse of the Warmbloods. Now I'm ready for Marks of Secret - but it's not available at my library in audio. I may just have to grab the book and read it myself because I've now seen teasers for Gregor and the Code of Claw (May, 2008).
Gregor is a good one to recommend to readers
May 08, 2014 June rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy readers
I was skeptical about this one when I first heard about it. A sympathetic cockroach? Right! Well, I'm a sucker. I cried for it. 03

I just had a blast reading it to my son. Though he had to read the two pages where the cockroach died, because I cried again. He thought Boots was awesome. 09

Re-reading for my Children's Book Club. They seemed taken with the idea of a book that made me cry for a cockroach. Finding some good discussion points. Wondering about activities.

"Gregor nodded. He could never h
All 11 year old Gregor wanted to do was to go to Summer Camp. His sister Lizzie got to go, but since his mom has to work, and his grandma has been losing her memory, he has to stay home to watch his 2 year old sister Boots. Since his father went missing a few months back, Gregor has become the man of the household. It is only when him and his sister fall through the grate in their laundry room and end up in an underground wonderland known as the "underland" that their lives are turned upside-dow ...more
aww~~ guys !
I really liked this book!

It's a story about adventures on unknown worlds, about family and love.
At first was really weird, reading about a place where bats, cockroaches, spiders, rats, and all those creepy disgusting things, are part of the "society".
They think, they talk, they feel.. well, I'm not exactly looking forward to have a giant cockroach in front of me.. but you'll get used to picture it throughout the book I guess.

Gregor is a great main character and I really loved Boots.
Better than I remembered. Review to come.
Oct 05, 2008 Q-man rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: age 8 and up
too young for me, but good.
This review is for the entire Underland Chronicles series.

So, firstly, I want to say that my favourite thing about these books, and all of Suzanne Collin’s writing, is that she writes for and about children as if they are capable and intelligent people. Even the two year old in the books is treated as a character with depth and growth and understanding. The scene in the fourth book, where Gregor finally realizes he has to explain death to his youngest sister is tragic and beautiful.

The world the
Eleven year old Gregor lives with his mom, older sister, younger sister, and their grandma. His father disappeared some two years, seven months prior, and ever since Gregor has not allowed himself to think about the future.

But things take a turn when Boots (the younger sister at two years old) finds an air vent in the laundry room. When she crawls in, Gregor must dive after her, and they quickly find themselves falling down an unmeasurable depth.

They land in a complete world under ground, yes, t
Nilin Börekçi
Kitap, okurken çok zevk aldığım ve 'çocuk kitabı' olarak nitelendirilen bir roman. Kitabı çok beğendim. Hiç bir şekilde 'çocuk kitabı' , 'aman çok çocukça, okumam' yorumunu hak etmiyor. Benim babam okudu ki ve beğendi ki, adamın yaşı 50'yi geçik. Ben de onun yorumuna güvenerek okudum, iyi ki de okumuşum açıkçası.

Okuyun, çok güzel, eğlenceli bir kitap. :D
Carol Nicolas
I enjoyed the Hunger Games series, and when I checked to see what else Suzanne Collins had written, I found this series.
Eleven-year-old Gregor lives in New York City and spends his free time babysitting his little sister and trying not to think about his missing father. Then one day while doing laundry, he and ‘Boots’ fall down a tunnel into the Underland, a dark, eerie world inhabited by pale, violet-eyed people and enormous talking animals. There he is hailed as a long awaited hero who will f
Mur Lafferty
I loved this book. I listened to it because I was a fan of Collins' Hunger Games Trilogy, but now I'm going to listen again with my 8 year old. Excellent characters, gorgeous underground world, and fantastic adventure that's appropriate for kids. There is violence and death, but they were on acceptable levels. Just picked up the second book via Emusic.
I wasn’t impressed by Suzanne Collins in this pre-The Hunger Games novel, average writing and predictable story, decent fantasy world building but not extra original (even for a middle grade children book). I liked the loving relationship between brother and sister though.
An Odd1
Apparently an updated Alice in Wonderland rabbit hole, this story makes as much sense. The strange setting, formal customs, and odd giant talking animals are priorities. At first, diapers and toilets are described in detail, then functions forgotten but for limited food supplies. Might make a better cartoon than novel.

Gregor 11 falls after Boots aka Margaret 2, down their apartment laundry room grate, to the Underland, where giant roaches sell them to Regalia princess Luxa and her grandfather a
My Soul Called Li...: Gregor the Overlander | The Underland Chronicles #1 23 4 Nov 08, 2015 07:58PM
fantasy 1 2 Oct 01, 2015 04:11PM
What ethnicity is Gregor and his family? 37 185 Jul 27, 2015 02:08AM
Why are the Hunger Games so popular....? 37 412 Jun 02, 2015 06:45PM
Gregor movie 2 19 May 01, 2015 08:22PM
when does this story take place 6 20 Jan 17, 2015 03:12PM
  • Skybreaker (Matt Cruse, #2)
  • The Magician's Elephant
  • Knights of the Kitchen Table (Time Warp Trio, #1)
  • The Land of the Silver Apples (Sea of Trolls, #2)
  • A Tale Dark & Grimm (A Tale Dark & Grimm, #1)
  • Emmy and the Incredible Shrinking Rat (Emmy, #1)
  • Keeper
  • Kenny and the Dragon
  • The Cabinet of Wonders (The Kronos Chronicles, #1)
  • Museum of Thieves (The Keepers, #1)
  • Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians (Alcatraz, #1)
  • The Neddiad: How Neddie Took the Train, Went to Hollywood, and Saved Civilization
  • The Unusual Suspects (The Sisters Grimm, #2)
  • The Magic Thief (Magic Thief, #1)
  • Simon Bloom, The Gravity Keeper (Simon Bloom, #1)
  • The Mark of the Dragonfly
  • Ghost Knight
  • Peter and the Sword of Mercy (Peter and the Starcatchers, #4)

Since 1991, Suzanne Collins has been busy writing for children’s television. She has worked on the staffs of several Nickelodeon shows, including the Emmy-nominated hit Clarissa Explains it All and The Mystery Files of Shelby Woo. For preschool viewers, she penned multiple stories for the Emmy-nominated Little B
More about Suzanne Collins...

Underland Chronicles (5 books)
  • Gregor and the Prophecy of Bane (Underland Chronicles, #2)
  • Gregor and the Curse of the Warmbloods (Underland Chronicles, #3)
  • Gregor and the Marks of Secret (Underland Chronicles, #4)
  • Gregor and the Code of Claw (Underland Chronicles, #5)

“If you are not trying to hold on to time, you are not so afraid of losing it.” 155 likes
“His dad said even the cavemen had geniuses among them. Somebody had thought up the wheel.” 79 likes