Getting Graphic!: Using Graphic Novels to Promote Literacy with Preteens and Teens

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  11 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Get a little graphic in your library! Jumpstart a literary adventure for your young adult audience and watch reading enthusiasm soar! An introductory guide to graphic novels for both school and public librarians. Learn how to entice your students into the library for a literary adventure that will awaken their passion for reading.
Published January 1st 2003 by Linworth Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Getting Graphic!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Getting Graphic!

Karolinde (Kari)
I'm not sure my ranking is totally fair. It's based on the fact that the book really was not what I expected it to be. I had hoped for suggestions on using comics and graphic novels in the classroom. It was really more of how-to build and promote a graphic novel collection for librarians.

Having said that, there is one cool activity about creating a superhero that I do plan to put in my files.
Darla
A wonderful resource for not only YA librarians but also teachers who want to use graphic novels in the classroom. The author presents several excellent arguments for using graphic novels to promote literacy and gives the reader tips on how to handle resistance to this idea.
Erica
This is a good, basic title with some good material for pull quotes making the connection between graphic novels and literacy. There are also compilations and suggestions of titles for collection development.
Debra Mccracken
Easy to understand and energizing for anyone wanting to teach on the subject of graphic novels. Very useful for collection development in a library.
Michelle
love the lists...about 50 i added to my to-read list on amazon!
Lib 5030 Group 5
Dec 01, 2013 Lib 5030 Group 5 marked it as to-read
741.509
Fallon
Fallon marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2014
Sue-mick Roach
Sue-mick Roach marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2013
Shae
Shae added it
Jul 13, 2013
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2013
Meghan
Meghan marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2012
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2012
Jessica Spamy
Jessica Spamy marked it as to-read
May 08, 2012
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2012
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2012
Sarah added it
Aug 05, 2011
Heidi
Heidi marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2011
Colette
Colette marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2010
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2009
Savannah
Savannah marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2009
Connecting Young Adults and Libraries: A How-To-Do-It Manual, 4th Edition (How-to-Do-It Manuals) Getting Graphic!: Comics for Kids Getting Graphic