The Making of England to 1399

The Making of England to 1399 (A History of England #1)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  133 ratings  ·  14 reviews
This text, which is the first volume in the best-selling History of England series, tells how a small and insignificant outpost of the Roman empire evolved into a nation that has produced and disseminated so many significant ideas and institutions.
Published March 1st 2007 by Houghton Mifflin (first published 1966)

To ask other readers questions about The Making of England to 1399, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Making of England to 1399

Alex Csicsek
Very glad I read this. A straight-forward political, religios, economic, and cultural history of England from Roman times through the end of the High Middle Ages that is accessible, interesting, and easy-to-read.

The authors do an excellent job explaining the importance not only of notable events but also of the even more influential development of trends. Readers walk away with more than enough dates and facts to store away into memory, but the true value is understanding that English history ha...more
Nicole Green
C. Warren Hollister's account of the history of England to 1399 is probably the most accurate and concise account that I have ever read. His writing style is very simple and he makes absorbing facts and information all the much easier, which is great for a history class textbook.

Most textbooks are very droll and hard to read. They make learning history very difficult and that is one of the main reasons many people claim to hate history. Mostly because they just don't understand it and can't reta...more
James Violand
Jun 30, 2014 James Violand rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone.
Shelves: own
My edition is from 1971. Nothing has changed. A very good read. Clearly written history.
H.J. Swinford
Oct 20, 2008 H.J. Swinford rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Those interested in or wanting to know more about British History
Recommended to H.J. by: Texas Tech University
Wonderfully plain and easy text book on the early history of England. I am taking a British Isles History class that I am thoroughly enjoying. It is wonderful to not have to dread the at-home readings, either. This text is very readable and though not witty or tons of fun (no color pictures or anything) it certainly does the job and does it well. I find the information easy to retain as I read and each book (a 4-volume set from the beginning of recorded history to present) is quite small so divi...more
Dee W.
This is by far the funniest history book I’ve read in awhile. Aside from the dry text aspect of most history books, this one is full of snarky comments galore! My favorite being, “And this daughter sported the highly original name of Matilda.” Everyone was named Matilda for like 500 years. The other highpoint was that the text made a point of reminding the reader that Henry III was afraid of thunder, and to this day when I think of poor Henry he sounds like the singing Prince out of Monty Python...more
Kristin
The classic textbook for medieval English history. While Hollister paints a very thorough and detailed account of medieval English political and institutional history, I did not find it to be a great book to teach from. There is too much time spent on detail and not enough on interpretation. Next time around, I'll be looking for a text that is more accessible for my students.
Nathan
A decent general history of England from prehistory to 1399. Hollister and his students (8th edition) have some gaps in their coverage and are misleading in other areas (such as the state of Jews in England). The problems are minimal and the book worth having as a general history.
Oliver Bateman
This textbook offers the reader a good overview of English history. The authors infuse their narrative with much recent scholarship on the period.
Megan
Jun 26, 2010 Megan added it
The Making of England to 1399 (History of England (Houghton Mifflin Company : Eighth Edition), 1.) by C. Warren Hollister (2005)
Jack Coleman
Picked up at my Library book sale.
I love history and the book proved to be
very readable and informative.
Brittany Petruzzi
A very helpful survey while reading through Bede and Malmesbury.
§--
I read this in high school and I recall loving it.
Elynn
For a history book it is very well written.
Joshua
Joshua marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Mary Faulconer
Mary Faulconer is currently reading it
Aug 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Henry I Medieval Europe: A Short Sourcebook Medieval Europe: A Short History Roots of the Western Tradition: A Short History of the Ancient World The Twelfth-Century Renaissance (Major Issues in History)