Start by marking “No God In Sight” as Want to Read:
No God In Sight

No God In Sight

3.74  ·  Rating Details  ·  183 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
A daring novel about present-day Bombay and the individual lives that spark the city’s consciousness.

Fast-paced and innovative, No God in Sight captures the seething multiplicity of Bombay through first-person accounts of an abortionist, a convert, a pregnant refugee, a gangster in hiding, a butcher, and an apathetic CEO, among others.

As the reader is hurtled from monolog
Published September 5th 2006 by MacAdam Cage (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about No God In Sight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No God In Sight

Manu Prasad
Jul 25, 2011 Manu Prasad rated it really liked it
Shelves: review
Somewhere in between a relay race and 'six degrees of separation' lies the narrative style of this excellent novel. And just like the city it showcases, it sets a scorching pace. But its not just a microcosm of the city, its also a take on social issues - from religion to class differences to a clash of the old and new. And somewhere in between is a subtext of man's search for where he came from and where he is going, and the series of connected lives and the sheer weariness that prevents them f ...more
Tanmay Tathagat
Aug 24, 2012 Tanmay Tathagat rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Cliches piled upon cliches in language that reads like a botched translation job from an Indian language, this book was a pain to get through. I am amazed that stuff like this even gets published, and to add insult to injury, I see literary giants like Rushdie, Suri and Tejpal (famous, but not really a literary giant) hailing this as the next big thing. We have a thing for topicality in India, don't we? We like stuff if they deal with "issues", no matter if they describe the whole process in the ...more
Saranga Sharma
Jan 17, 2016 Saranga Sharma rated it it was amazing
What a book!! The author has provided an insight to the big and busy Bombay life.By taking a view of an unusual set of characters, one gets to know about life and its various scenarios. Also, how religion in India is still associated with a person's identity. A unique style of writing.Fast paced ranging from short stories to anecdotes.This book captivates you till the end.
Foodie
Apr 08, 2008 Foodie rated it it was amazing
Altaf Tyrewala's bestselling debut novel is a brilliant collective first person account of the pulsating metropolis Mumbai. The fascinatingly crafted, racy monologues add a sense of immediacy and unpredictability. the book is at once witty, surreal and dark, giving out a sense of larger forces at work. With the characters grappling with demonds - both inner and social, no God's gonna come from the skies and show you a path, each one has to work out his own destiny. (hence the tittle) The book ca ...more
James Njoroge
May 14, 2014 James Njoroge rated it really liked it
This is an incredible book. Fast paced, you don't want to let go till it's over. Altaf made me feel like a ghost, going through walls, intruding into people's lives and minds in Mumbai and Bombay. Amazing story telling!
Kristax3
Jan 03, 2012 Kristax3 rated it it was amazing
Wow, this was an amazing book to start my 2012 reading challenge with.
The writing was almost poetic, the characters were so real, and the way each of their stories intertwined made this such an enjoyable read.
It's such a short book, a little over 200 pages so it can be read very quickly.
You don't get in depth views into each character but you still feel like you know them which, in my opinion, makes Altaf Tyrewala a great writer.
Oh, and if you like this book I highly recommend The Death of V
Shonita
Nov 24, 2012 Shonita rated it really liked it
"No God In Sight" is an ingenious way of taking the readers through a myriad of lives and perspectives and it compels you to become philosophical and question how your existence and actions have a domino effect on the lives of many others. It gives you a bird eye view of the many things happening in and around us and you are left perplexed with the ability of the author to soak his writing in the cultural mix to bring out the very essence of the characters' being. Furthermore, Altaf Tyrewala is ...more
Ketan Shah
Altaf Tyrewala weaves a series of interlocking stories into a tapestry of Mumbai.A majority of the characters involved are Muslim and there are some nice insights into religious tension in this bustling city.He's very good at finding a pattern in the seeming chaos of this amazing city.Highly recommended for anyone who's been to Mumbai,or anyone who just likes a well told story .If you enjoyed this,you'd probably enjoy Anita Desai's In Custody,Arundhati Roy's God of Small Things ,R K Narayan's Ma ...more
SUMANTH SURI
This is a great narrative with some very right characters drawn out
Preet
Dec 29, 2013 Preet rated it really liked it
I liked this book for using a simple trick and turning it into a meaty little novella bridged essentially with short stories. The structure here solid and while there is no real plot to speak of (rather, a whole series of plots), I did not feel cheated or let down as a reader. As a writer, I admired his vignettes, each of which had so succinctly captured life's little dramatic episodes that they were great ideas for full-length novels.
Erkki Moviebuff
May 26, 2012 Erkki Moviebuff rated it really liked it
Taught, creative, wry, dark. A portrait of dense, oppressive Mumbai and its desperate residents through vignettes of loosely overlapping characters. Not a great book but a good one, an interesting one, and an author who shows promise; Tyrewala evinces a keen observation of detail and a crative play of language. It's a page-turner and an easy read, but morally ominous. A bit Our Town meets Steinbeck.
Diana
Libro strano.
Parte molto bene, veloce ed accattivante.
Brevi flash di vita tutti diversi, tutti intensi, tutti profondamente indiani. Uniti solo da una brezza leggera che passa da un protagonista all'altro.
Poi però si appesantisce un po' e ti resta nei pensieri la voglia di sapere qualcosa in più riguardo a queste storie.
Un libro senza finale che mi ha lasciata come in attesa...
Divya
Jun 23, 2008 Divya rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone interested in exploring Bombay
Recommended to Divya by: an architect activist friend of mine
A very quick and fascinating read about the dark, humorous, hidden and celebrated aspects of one of India's most interesting cities: Bombay. The author's style is clever and addictive. I have never read another atory presented this way that leads you into the recesses of so many people's life stories.
Areej014
Sep 30, 2013 Areej014 rated it really liked it
I loved this book.had me thinking at every second sentence. It plunges you into the morbid emotions of the characters while at the same time forcing you to recognise what is it that the characters are feeling. Short book with a lot of depth.
Ffiamma
Sep 10, 2013 Ffiamma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: india-far-east
un insieme di istantanee da mumbay/bombay: storie fulminee, ordinarie, tragiche, tristi e un po' buffe- dove la religione è importante ma non sembra esserci nessun dio in vista. molto indiano, copertina splendida.
Ayelet Waldman
I was sent this book because the editor read my booklog and knew I have a weakness for Indian fiction. Man, did I love this. Tiny little fragments that together make a wonderful story.
Kascia
Sep 11, 2012 Kascia rated it it was ok
I only read half of the book. It was hard to understand and get into. What I did read was interesting, but not enough to keep me reading.
Jacqueline
Aug 27, 2007 Jacqueline rated it really liked it
This book heart wrenchingly weaves the fragile web of life, and how we are all interconnected. I really enjoyed it and highly recommend it.
Kunal Gaidhankar
A dark story.
The author connects each chapter with introduction of a new character.
Vikas Lather
Oct 07, 2013 Vikas Lather rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I felt touched by the narration
Nikita
Nikita rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2016
Shilpiya
Shilpiya rated it liked it
Jan 29, 2016
Zee
Zee added it
Feb 01, 2016
Beiza
Beiza added it
Jan 19, 2016
Syl  ʃʃ^.^ʃʃ
Syl ʃʃ^.^ʃʃ marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
S
S added it
Jan 17, 2016
Susan
Susan added it
Jan 16, 2016
Ragini
Ragini marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2016
Arun Mithran
Arun Mithran marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2016